Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you're into that kind of thing, you may want to check it out. $15 on steam currently, and I don't doubt it will go on sale in the coming holiday sales.

I'm no professional platformer patron, but after sinking several hours into the game I still cannot even beat the first stage on normal difficulty. Since I obviously can't speak for the rest of the game, I can at least say that so far none of the obstacles have been of the IWBTG "gotcha" type. They're just obstacles of timing and precision. Fortunately, you can respawn at checkpoints at any time for no penalty other than the shame of another death added to the counter. Which you will be doing a lot. A whole lot. Bosses call to mind a platformer version of bullet hell games. It is the kind of difficulty where you do not feel cheaped out, but that you failed because you are not good enough. Even the easy difficulty is no joke.

There is a plot but who cares? The dinosaur demon king was defeated and put in jail, and you and your friend accidentally free him because you're idiots, and now you have to fix everything. Doesn't matter.

The mechanics of the game are pretty straightforward.
-Shortly into the first stage you gain a basic attack which covers about a 90 degree arc in a very short range, with most of the damage being dealt in the middle of the arc. Enemies take at least 2 strong hits to kill on normal difficulty, so you have to learn to dodge or tank a lot of damage. Later you gain a ranged attack.
-You have one regular jump, which can be done from the ground or in the air, and the game very quickly expects you to learn this fact. Many gaps require you to run off a ledge and fall for a short bit before jumping mid-fall. If you jump from the ground you cannot do another jump in the air.
-Though shortly into the first level you gain something similar to a second jump. By pressing the action button either on the ground or in the air you flutter your wings briefly to gain a small amount of height, but more horizontal movement. Importantly, this does not require that you regular jump first, and if you have not yet jumped you can do it out of a flutter.
-Down+action button is a slide. If you've played a classic series Mega Man game after 3, you know what the slide is.

As you play the game , you also unlock appearance customization options so you can be the most beautiful angel or demon like you've always wanted to be (hint: read all the books in the library in town in the beginning segment to unlock glasses, and beat your friend in a race to unlock her wings).

So yeah, Wings of Vi is a difficult platformer, and you may want to give it a shot if you like those kinds of games. I've never felt that any of my deaths were the game's fault more than they were my own fault, and I commend it for not using cheap shots (at least as far as I've gotten). The game is just hard. And it's frustrating, but because you messed up, not because it's cheap.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZTNppAsaE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm going to play your game, OP. Sit tight.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
is this supposed to be panty and stocking and even more dubstep?

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
I impulse bought this game a few days ago because I'm a sucker for pixels and platforming but it actually becomes pretty awful to play in the later stages.

I think it's made by some dude that made an I Wanna Be The Guy fangame and if I had read a little more carefully and seen that I would've passed but welp. If you're looking for a fun but challenging platformer like super meat boy or whatever then keep looking. This game is more about retrying sections hundreds of times until you burn the correct sequence and timing of button presses into your muscle memory.

It has a less bullshit deaths than IWBTG but it still has its moments. One section has you running from some instakill enemy and after you escape but right before the save point they stuck a single tile of small spikes on a slope because lol gently caress your checkpoint tunnel vision. They pull this poo poo again later in a world that's full of spiky bone protrusions in the foreground so it's even easier to miss as you see the save come just within reach.

Another section ends on top of a long vertical corridor where you'll see a platform leading off the right side of the screen, except if you jump over there and don't let go of the movement key immediately upon starting the screen transition you'll end up falling off into an instakill trap because you didn't know the platform was actually tiny as hell and gently caress you redo that whole gauntlet again

I'm about 10 hours in with 1900 deaths and considered just uninstalling because everything past stage 3 has been mostly frustrating/unfun but I'm on the last stage so gently caress it. If IWBTG and Boshy are your poo poo you'll probably love this

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
What's the checkpointing like? If there's a super hard bit of platforming is there always a checkpoint right before it, or does it do the IWBTG hard mode thing where checkpoints cover multiple sections and you're just hosed?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
The pixel art in this game is absolutely delightful. :kimchi:

Once I saw there were cosmetic rewards for killing bosses flawlessly, I promptly restarted my first play through on Angel Mode. And sure enough, while I could have killed Myougi, Pr'gora and Electram in 1-5 attempts each due to the dumbed down mechanics and smaller health bars, doing it absolutely flawlessly took about 5 runs on the first one, and about 100 a piece for the other two. I don't know if I'm gonna get as frustrated as Dunk Bot did in later levels, but I'm loving it so far and fully expect to go through the game again in Mortal Mode afterwards. It would be cool to find all the collectibles I've undoubtedly missed.

I hope this game gets more buzz soon. I'd hate for it to fly under the radar as much as the criminally underrated Freedom Planet. :sigh:

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

I impulse bought this game a few days ago because I'm a sucker for pixels and platforming but it actually becomes pretty awful to play in the later stages.

I think it's made by some dude that made an I Wanna Be The Guy fangame and if I had read a little more carefully and seen that I would've passed but welp. If you're looking for a fun but challenging platformer like super meat boy or whatever then keep looking. This game is more about retrying sections hundreds of times until you burn the correct sequence and timing of button presses into your muscle memory.

So exactly like Super Meat Boy? As someone that loved SMB to pieces and A+ed all the levels, unlocked all the characters and got all the achievements except the "So and So Boy" ones, (Well, OK, I did get the Forest Boy one, but that one is a gimme.) I'd say that SMB is about half execution/skill half muscle memory. Especially some of the Rapture DW stuff.

That said, Wings of Vi is a different kind of game for sure, and I don't think any platformer is going to dethrone SMB for me any time soon. I'm still loving it to pieces!

senae posted:

What's the checkpointing like? If there's a super hard bit of platforming is there always a checkpoint right before it, or does it do the IWBTG hard mode thing where checkpoints cover multiple sections and you're just hosed?

I only played through most of the first level in Mortal before I switched to Angel, but I could tell the difference right away. Mortal has some relatively lengthy platforming segments in between checkpoints. I'd equate them to ~1.5 times the size of an average Super Meat Boy level. Angel has probably twice as many checkpoints as well as some extra platforms that function as "breathers" so you can pace yourself better in the longer segments.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

loving Amethyst. I died over 400 times trying to do it flawlessly... so many close calls. Her boulder phase is absurdly annoying if you're caught near the middle of the screen when she transitions into it, and two consecutive fire phases can make even the wind phase (Which is normally a... breeze. :v:) pretty difficult. Two fire phases followed by the lightning phase was basically a guaranteed hit every time.

If not for the double fire every now and then, I'd say this is one of the best designed boss fights I've played in a platformer though.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Sophism posted:

cosmetic rewards for killing bosses flawlessly
Super Meat Boy
checkpoints

drat, I didn't actually want to buy a new game today. Oh well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
OP should mention that this game was made by the same guy as Boshy.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

Sophism posted:

So exactly like Super Meat Boy? As someone that loved SMB to pieces and A+ed all the levels, unlocked all the characters and got all the achievements except the "So and So Boy" ones, (Well, OK, I did get the Forest Boy one, but that one is a gimme.) I'd say that SMB is about half execution/skill half muscle memory. Especially some of the Rapture DW stuff.

That said, Wings of Vi is a different kind of game for sure, and I don't think any platformer is going to dethrone SMB for me any time soon. I'm still loving it to pieces!

Yeah actually I guess they're pretty similar. Maybe I enjoyed SMB more because it let you skip around worlds and come back to things later when you got stuck so it always felt like you were making some progress.

I was definitely having fun with this game up until about the halfway point, after that the difficulty just spiked way up and it became much less fun. Probably wouldn't be as frustrated with it if I had started on angel instead of mortal but oh well.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

K8.0 posted:

OP should mention that this game was made by the same guy as Boshy.

This explains a lot of things.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Sorry doesn't quite cut it, lady.

The boss after Amethyst was way easier to defeat flawlessly. It only took like a third of the attempts and less than half the time... and then after I destroyed it dropped an item which allows Vi to teleport back to any point in the game, so that the player can look for any secrets they missed or redo any previous boss fights. In other words, I could have advanced further into the game instead of bashing my head against the Amethyst encounter for like three hours straight, thinking that I wouldn't have the chance to get the Flawless achievement until I started a new game. :shepicide:

So if any completionists like me just started playing this, be aware that you don't need to ace everything on your first run through after all.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 17, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sophism posted:

Sorry doesn't quite cut it, lady.

The boss after Amethyst was way easier to defeat flawlessly. It only took like a third of the attempts and less than half the time... and then after I destroyed it dropped an item which allows Vi to teleport back to any point in the game, so that the player can look for any secrets they missed or redo any previous boss fights. In other words, I could have advanced further into the game instead of bashing my head against the Amethyst encounter for like three hours straight, thinking that I wouldn't have the chance to get the Flawless achievement until I started a new game. :shepicide:

So if any completionists like me just started playing this, be aware that you don't need to ace everything on your first run through after all.

That is good to know and also takes some pressure off. I might still have to drop down to babby mode, though. Still can't even beat the first stage on normal.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Weird that combined his games have 100x s more views on Twitch than his channel when he's actually playing something.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Terravine is a way easier fight with the Greed weapon. At first the cramped space made me dislike the fight, but when it clicked I had a blast.

Kartarac on the other hand is a steaming pile of bad design decisions and terrible implementation.

The glowing tells being almost the same color as the boss' body makes them mostly useless. I imagine colorblind players would be basically unable to detect them at all.

The lunges are inconsistent damage, varying from barely any to one-shot. They also reduce the effective area you can maneuver in from 60% of the screen to 20%.

During the vertical phase the boss' HP bar covers a lot of the bottom platform, making it harder to tell how big it is when the screen is shaking. The tell from the triple lunge is the exact same as the worm spewing move other than a brief screen shake, which is needlessly confusing in the heat of the moment.

And last but definitely not least, there's a plethora of quirks with the camera on transitions. I've had it stop following me and the boss, had it follow the boss but leave me behind, had it do a very sudden jolt when transitioning from vertical to horizontal, either lumping all the platforms together or literally throwing me off a platform I had already landed on.

And my personal favorite: keeping me stuck in the air as Kratarac gets free damage on me.

I still have to kill it flawlessly too. :shepicide:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

PSA: Game's 25% off on Steam from now until January 2nd. If you're on the fence, you can give it a shot with the demo from the official website http://grynsoft.com/wingsofvi/

Finally downed Ancient Constructs flawlessly. I don't know why I had so much trouble with them, but I clocked I think over 900 deaths on that fight. The last 25% of that encounter can get super hectic as it punishes bad positioning so harshly. First time I felt relief instead of a sense of accomplishment. Not because it's a bad fight, (I actually really like it.) but I was definitely frustrated after spending two nights bashing my head against it. Really cool Wings customization reward though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

60 hours later and I finally got that last achievement. I had a blast and thoroughly recommend this game to anyone that likes a good challenge. (As long as they're also very patient.) While I won't say Wings of Vi is better than Super Meat Boy, I feel confident claiming they're in the same league, even though they're very different styles of platformer. Your mileage may vary of course.

While I doubt I'll ever bother with Demon Mode, I will start a Mortal Mode run, just so I can play the game the way it was meant to be played. I'm done with all the current secrets, weapons and flawless bosses, so hopefully at the end of the Mortal run I'll be able to upload a clear time that doesn't make me feel highly inadequate! :shobon:

• Locked thread