Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

CarForumPoster posted:

What car forum actually LIKES a Celica?! :psyduck:

It is a two door Toyota Corolla.

The Celica, in several generations, was a great car. It spawned the Camry and the Supra! It also could be had as a turbo-charged, AWD, rally monster, an ultra-light, high-revving sports car, or, classically, a RWD Japanese pony car. The last-gen Celica GT-S was an incredible car when it was first released, many magazine reviews compared it to the Boxster in terms of handling.

To contribute --

First car: 1999 VW Passat 1.8T.

Current car: 2014 Mustang

Dream Car: BMW M235i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rus0
Nov 14, 2014
First: 1999 Ford Ranger black XLT, ran good for a couple of years. Burned through ball-joints and tires like crazy, got rid of it when it needed a tranny rebuild.

Current: new 2014 chevy 1500 z71 truck, silver, got just under 5k on it so far, runs like a dream.

Dream: either a purple 1971 duster or a 1970 chevy nova, I don't care about it being original everything, as long as it looked nice and had some big ol' bigblock that gets 6 mpg that's the dream :) I love so many old muscle cars though that I am not picky, those two are the ones on my mind right now.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

First Car: 1977 Red/Red Corvette. Sold it because it was an automatic. In hindsight I should have tried to LSx/T56 it, but I was a dumb kid.

Recent Car: 2000 Honda S2000. I bought this on Friday. Still hasn't sunk in yet because it was one of my "attainable dream cars" since they started making them, haven't quite come to terms with the notion that I have one now.

Dream: I might have said the S2k last week, but uh, I'll aim a little higher. I know the Aventador and Huracan are the new hotness, but I love the LP670 Superveloce, dunno. Does it for me.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Korwen posted:

Recent Car: 2000 Honda S2000. I bought this on Friday. Still hasn't sunk in yet because it was one of my "attainable dream cars" since they started making them, haven't quite come to terms with the notion that I have one now.

Very nice - do you mind if I ask how much you paid for how many miles and where you bought it?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

1996 Civic DX, black. Fun little car that I drove from Indiana to Oregon and then to California. I miss that car everyday. It made a weird noise that was probably indicative of an engine waiting to die, but it never gave me an issue.

Recently purchased a 2011 MINI Cooper, red and black. Wife's car. Easy to do minor maintenance on, I am seriously afraid of needing to do anything major on it. So little room...

For me I picked up a 2006 HD Sportster 1200C. So much fun, I look forward to replacing this with anything soon...

My dream car is a Tesla Roadster (or whenever HD release the livewire as a purchasable bike...), or the Lotus Elise and Evora, whichever I was able to purchase.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

blk posted:

Very nice - do you mind if I ask how much you paid for how many miles and where you bought it?

Bought in in Round Rock TX, outside of Austin. Had 124k miles on it, paid 8400. The front bumper has a bunch of rock chips, some speedbump scrapes and one other big paint chip, but I figure that'll just make it hurt less if I eat a cone, or I can just get it re-sprayed for $400 or so if it really bothers me. I've got some noises and clunks in the rear suspension to iron out, but I'm still happy with it. It came with a service manual and a service history with receipts dating back to when the car was sold, has an 03 motor in it that was new installed from the dealer. I'm still worried because it's the most expensive car I've bought, but overall I'm pretty chuffed.

Edit: Top was replaced in 08 too with a glass window Robbins. Honestly reading through the service history was/is fantastic fun

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

First car: 1986 Chevy Celebrity: Picture isn't mine but it looked identical to this one.

I loved this car. It was dubbed the "granny-mobile" but with the bench seats in the front it could fit me and a lot of my friends if necessary, I was one of the few of my friends with a 4 door car. It had roughly 80K miles on it when I got it, and ran me about $2,200. I drove it for about 3 years but ended up getting t-boned at a really lovely intersection (that now has a light after a local news anchor got killed at the same intersection).

It had a poofy headliner that would flutter with all the windows down, I truly loved it. I lost my virginity in the front seat (again, bench seats were awesome) so it probably has a higher spot in my memory than my other cars.

I got a lovely 1989 Buick LeSabre to replace it, then got a brand new 2003 Subaru Legacy, that one ended this way 3 years later:

loving hurricanes.

Then drove a 1997 ford F150 until I picked up my current car:

Current Car: 2008 Subaru Legacy GT

I bought it brand new, and am now over 100K miles on it. With the exception of maybe 5 times, every time that car has started, I've been behind the wheel. I absolutely love it and do my best to maintain it, as I want to hold on to it for at least another year or 2. As they don't make the Legacy GT anymore, my next car will most likely be a WRX or a BRZ. I'm very interested in the Tesla Model 3, but without much info to go off of yet, it's not very likely.

Dream Car: I've got a ridiculous list of all of the cars I'd love to have, but I'd say these top it.
Classic: 1971 Dodge Challenger RT.

This is pretty much tied with a 68 Challenger RT, but someone already posted one of those.

Modern: Maserati GT

I just love these cars.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 17, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
First Car:
1994 Cavalier, in that horrible 90s teal blue, 4 door, with the crappy 3 speed auto

Current Car:
1986 325es
Rusty, crusty but still soldiers on at 250K+ miles

Dream car:
E34 touring with a worked over M62 and a 6 speed

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
First car, 1989 Ford Ranger XLT

(brown, not red though)

Current car

yeah

Dream car, 1989 930

I am well aware these all have nothing in common with each other.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008
The first car I owned was a Fiat Seicento

My current car is a Citroën XM

My dream car would be a Citroën SM

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
First: 1984 F-250 with the unbreakable straight 6. Looked almost exactly like this without the bug deflector

Current: 2011 Ford F-150 Fx4 with Ecoboost engine (love this truck so far)

Attainable Dream car: 1996 BMW 850CSi (with the money to completely go through it and make it reliable)

Highly unlikely dream car: 2014 Porsche 918

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
First Car: 2005 Ford Mondeo TDCi. A huge boat of a car with 150,000 miles on the clock and a million pre-existing dings. I crashed that beast into absolutely everything. The first thing I did after I drove it off the lot was misjudge the turn onto my mum's driveway and demolish a concrete fence post. Car wasn't even scratched. Great car, got me all the way from London to Edinburgh on more than one occasion and it's cavernous boot came in super handy the couple of times I had to move house on short notice. It was a knackered old repmobile but I loved it and it had bags more personality than the crappy hatchbacks all my friends were driving.

Current Car: 2005 BMW 645Ci. A treat to myself after a crappy few months at work. I'd always wanted something with a big V8 and the I settled on this after weighing up several unmaintainable Maseratis and an extremely ill-advised TVR. It's thirstiness as a daily driver is easily offset by the wonderful noise and getting to look like an absolute cock blasting it around the B-roads with the top down every time the sun comes out. It's also ridiculously comfortable unless anyone sits in the back seat, because that means I have to scoot my seat so far forward that I have to brace my giant legs under the steering wheel like a grown man trying to pedal a Little Tikes car.

Dream Car: 1970 Oldsmobile 442. When I was younger it was all about the '69 Charger, but my tastes have mellowed with age (as much as going from one 70s big block to another can be called 'mellowing') and I think the 442's sense of seething menace is better than the Charger's feel of outright evil.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
first car: 1983 Mercedes 300CD (pic from google, same color combo). Bought it with 223,000 miles and sold it with 280,000, hardly doing any maintenance along the way. The transmission over revved like crazy going into second, but other than that the car was an absolute peach. I still miss it a lot.

Most recent: 1988 BMW M5. Started researching these things on a whim about 18 months ago, and before I know it a friend of mine sends me a BaT link to one for sale two towns over. Checked it out, everything looked legit, bought it the next day. A howling beast of a car that I only occasionally drive in nice weather.

Dream car: Porsche 993 Turbo S. I looked at a 95 Turbo years ago, priced at about $49k. How I wish I could've afforded that then, because some of these things are eclipsing the quarter mil mark it seems. I'm sort of setting my sights on getting a Guards Red 930 eventually since those are slightly more affordable.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Plankalkuel posted:

The first car I owned was a Fiat Seicento

My current car is a Citroën XM

My dream car would be a Citroën SM

Oh yeah, gotta love those boaty old Citroëns. Was your Seicento a "Sporting" model? Those things may have been slow, but boy were they fun to fling around until they fell apart.

My first car: 1988 Toyota Corolla DX 1.3L. Manual everything, no tach, no clock, no nothing. I beat that poor thing mercilessly and it never ever gave up.

(Not my picture)

Latest purchase (2½ years ago): 2000 Peugeot 406 TS4 2.2L. Handles much better than a comfortable 1.5-ton family sedan has any right to. I have no idea how PSA managed to dial out the understeer, but they did. Of course, the very typically French gearbox necessitates a decidedly laid-back and nonchalant driving style :france:

Dream car: A big hydropneumatic Citroën of some sort. Preferably a DS/SM/CX/XM, but otherwise a brand-new C5 wagon with the 3.0L diesel and fully loaded would be OK too.

Or for a completely unattainable dream (concept) car, the Citroën Numero 9:

:swoon:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 20, 2014

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh yeah, gotta love those boaty old Citroëns. Was your Seicento a "Sporting" model? Those things may have been slow, but boy were they fun to fling around until they fell apart.

That last part sums it up in a nutshell :zombie: It was not a Sporting, but still good on its feet. In fact it would go pretty quick (kp/h but still... Also: The picture was NOT taken by me, but my passenger!):

Only after I sold it, I found out that it has the crash protection of a wet paper bag if the enormous plastic bumpers are overwhelmed. If they are not, they are quite resilient. The car went through a front collision, being rear-ended as well as going into a farmer's fence aircraft-acarrier-landing-net-style. No panel replacement necessary. Just bend the front bumper back/pop the number-plate light back in and buy a new computer form insurance payout/pay the farmer for his broken fence posts.

EDIT: If you are in the US, you could get early model XMs, as they started production about 25 years ago. Apparently some were imported back in the day as well (but expect to pay a lot of money for one of the ~25 that made it to the US!). It should be possible to pick up a decently or even well preserved older model for next to nothing in Europe. This is only half as mad as it sounds :)

Plankalkuel fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 21, 2014

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

First: '86 Buick Century LTD. Old man blue with leather roof. Great car in that it drove and was pretty good on gas. Not that mileage mattered too much at $0.79/gal.

Most Recent: 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200. 50mpg@100mph.

Dream: Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale. I saw a tipo33 at a classic race car event and fell in love. Since only 18 of the road versions were ever made, I'll put down an alfa 4c spider in the "obtainable" category. Or any of the Pininfarina-sculpted Maseratis. So gorgeous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Plankalkuel posted:

EDIT: If you are in the US, you could get early model XMs, as they started production about 25 years ago. Apparently some were imported back in the day as well (but expect to pay a lot of money for one of the ~25 that made it to the US!). It should be possible to pick up a decently or even well preserved older model for next to nothing in Europe. This is only half as mad as it sounds :)

Denmark :-)

The only thing keeping me back is that I'm very happy with my 406. But I did look at an XM hearse that was for sale recently.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Denmark :-)

The only thing keeping me back is that I'm very happy with my 406. But I did look at an XM hearse that was for sale recently.

Ah. I'm in northern Germany for the next weeks, around Rendsburg, 70kms from the Danish border. In case you want to test drive an XM ;) My parents have a 406, which soldiers on and on and on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Plankalkuel posted:

Ah. I'm in northern Germany for the next weeks, around Rendsburg, 70kms from the Danish border. In case you want to test drive an XM ;) My parents have a 406, which soldiers on and on and on.

Right now I'm 180km from the border, and that's only because I'm visiting the family for Christmas. Normally I'm 320km away.

So even though the allure of driving a DIRAVI-equipped XM is strong, it's a bit far to drive for an old Citroën ;)

Some people claim that Peugeot started going downhill when they changed to FWD across the range, but I maintain that the 406 is the zenith of the brand. Straight-forward, dependable, widely available spare parts, cheap and easy to repair, and a good blend of comfort and handling. The lowest-mileage equivalent to my car for sale right now has 260,000km on it, and I've seen examples with over 400,000km on them that still look almost new.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 22, 2014

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
First car was a 1996 Ford Contour GL (not my pic). Bought it in 2000 with my own money after working at a movie theater for a while. My mom was driving it while I was away at college and she wrote it off for me. This was before I really got in to cars and all I cared about was having something to drive from A to B.

Most recent purchase was my attainable dream car but now it's mine! '07 BMW Z4M Coupe. Had it about 2 months now and I'm super happy with it. I found it's big brother at Fry's the other day. It seriously needs a bath.

My new attainable dream car is a Ferrari 355. I'd take it in yellow and convertible. :homebrew:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

First car was a 1996 Ford Contour GL (not my pic). Bought it in 2000 with my own money after working at a movie theater for a while. My mom was driving it while I was away at college and she wrote it off for me. This was before I really got in to cars and all I cared about was having something to drive from A to B.

Most recent purchase was my attainable dream car but now it's mine! '07 BMW Z4M Coupe. Had it about 2 months now and I'm super happy with it. I found it's big brother at Fry's the other day. It seriously needs a bath.

My new attainable dream car is a Ferrari 355. I'd take it in yellow and convertible. :homebrew:

Nice Z4M! I love those. Also recommend this about owning 355s: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0077QWUBC?ie=UTF8&redirectFromSS=1&pc_redir=T1&noEncodingTag=1&robot_redir=1

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

First (last and always) - 1979 Cadillac Sedan Deville. 424 V8, Sky blue with sky blue interior, power everything, and an AM/FM stereo with 8-Track and integrated CB radio.

Most Recently Purchased - 2004 Mazda 3 for my wife. We're a Mazda family, but I'm currently rolling a mint condition '02 Saturn L200 with all the bells and whistles that my brother-in-law gave me.

Dream car: Either a '56 Chevy 3600 pickup or 55 Nomad Wagon with modern running gear, or some kind of modern, supercharged, 6 speed, AWD sportwagon.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The thing that shot down my idea of owning a 355 was the car's durability just isn't up to what I would put it through. A friend of mine who owns a '97 hardtop said to me "you would chew this car up and spit it out, then it would do the same to your wallet."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

First Car: 1985 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. 165hp/245ft lbs (lolololnotevenclose) from 305ci, in a remarkably svelte (for the size, the thing was goddamned enormous,) 3400lbs. Mine was terrible, and had endless electrical issues. No pictures because it was the nineties, and my beeper didn't have a camera.

Current car #1: 2013 Chevrolet Volt. It's like someone designed a car specifically to be uninspiring. No pictures because it's terminally boring.

I'm fortunate enough that my dream car and car #2 are one and the same: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

Mine has longtube headers, an LS9x clutch, ported heads, a gently caress-off-huge cam, some other assorted minor bits, and of course a tune.

I need to get some video of it. My gopro is being a dickface. :(

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MrYenko posted:

First Car: 1985 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. 165hp/245ft lbs (lolololnotevenclose) from 305ci, in a remarkably svelte (for the size, the thing was goddamned enormous,) 3400lbs. Mine was terrible, and had endless electrical issues. No pictures because it was the nineties, and my beeper didn't have a camera.

Current car #1: 2013 Chevrolet Volt. It's like someone designed a car specifically to be uninspiring. No pictures because it's terminally boring.

I'm fortunate enough that my dream car and car #2 are one and the same: 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

Mine has longtube headers, an LS9x clutch, ported heads, a gently caress-off-huge cam, some other assorted minor bits, and of course a tune.

I need to get some video of it. My gopro is being a dickface. :(

That's awesome. I find myself loving Vette's more every year. Do you know what kind of power it's making with the mods and a tune?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

First: 1993 Ford Mustang LX convertible. 2.3L 4 cylinder automatic, and probably the slowest car I've ever driven. :911: Mine had much shittier wheels (not my pic) but this was the color combo...In those days when I knew nothing about cars I dreamed of a 5.0 swap. Glad I crashed it before any of that could happen.

Current: 2013 Chevy Sonic turbo. 1.4L 6 speed manual. It's my only car at the moment while I restrain myself from getting something more fun/fast and save up money for a house. Still it's pretty fun for what it is.

Dream: Mclaren P1. Amazing car, love the looks of it too.

Attainable dream cars: ATS-V, CTS-V, 1LE Camaro, Z51 Corvette, Something old and cool with a 2JZ-GTE swap.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's awesome. I find myself loving Vette's more every year. Do you know what kind of power it's making with the mods and a tune?

Made 610 at the wheels. (Corrected.)

http://youtu.be/Gd-6hLn3NiU

(Video from the builder/PO, at the shop that did the tune.)

It's more extreme than any of my previous cars. My '06 GTO had a torque curve like a pool table, whereas this thing is more like a turbo car. It's pretty fast, until you get it above 4k rpm, and then it's just :black101:.

The only thing I don't like is that the PO lowered it a tad. Z06s are already pretty low, but this is just dumb. The chin splitter scrapes on loving everything.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MrYenko posted:

Made 610 at the wheels. (Corrected.)

http://youtu.be/Gd-6hLn3NiU

(Video from the builder/PO, at the shop that did the tune.)

It's more extreme than any of my previous cars. My '06 GTO had a torque curve like a pool table, whereas this thing is more like a turbo car. It's pretty fast, until you get it above 4k rpm, and then it's just :black101:.

The only thing I don't like is that the PO lowered it a tad. Z06s are already pretty low, but this is just dumb. The chin splitter scrapes on loving everything.

Nice! The excessive lowering always makes me sad. A guy at work has a beautiful S5, but he's got it lowered. I don't get it - those cars have excellent suspensions already. Why change it? :(

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
First Car: '83 Jeep CJ-7

Current Car: '99 Isuzu Vehicross

Dream Car: Land Rover 110 kitted out and not broken

Bikes:
First Bike: '81 Yamaha Seca 750

Only a pic of the instrument panel since it was the only thing worth mentioning about that bike

Current Bike: '03 BMW F650 GS Dakar TT39

Dream Bike: '06 Ducati Sport Classic

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

First:

1988 Honda Accord, no working A/C in 1995.

Last bought:

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT 392. It's a good DD.

Dream car: SLS Black Series. I've owned a 2005 E55 AMG, and this is the step up.

Or maybe a restomodded Challenger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
First Car:

God drat did I hate this this. 1991 Cavalier that broke all. the. loving. time.

First "newish" car:

Also hated this car. I loved it when I first bought it, but it was underpowered, handled like crap, and also broke a lot. I was glad when it got totaled.

Last Car:

2011 Ford Taurus Limited. I enjoyed this car quite a bit. It was way more cramped inside than it should have been, but it drove pretty well for a boat and was comfortable if you found a good seating position.

Then tragically it hit a deer going about 70mph. It's best feature was it kept me safe and not dead.

Current car:

Fusion Titanium. I just got this about 2 weeks ago and I'm in love. Handles really well and the 2.0EB is a great engine. Easily my favorite car I've owned.

Dream car:

There's just something about this car that does it for me. When I first saw it at the Boston Auto Show in 2006, I was instantly in love. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new one at the NAIAS this week. I'll never get to own one, but that doesn't stop me from loving this car.

• Locked thread