Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's strange how the overworld sprites don't change while the enemies do. The overworld enemies still look the same but then you fight these completely different things in the side-scrolling parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I never really thought about it, but you're right, in the overworld, you're always encountering the ghost sprites (with an exception we'll see later). Weird that it never really bothered me...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

And we're back! When last we left Gargoyle's Quest, we had freed King Darkoan from his captors, only for him to reveal that he was still powerless as long as Breager still remained in the realm. He then gave us his gave us his remaining energy and sent us off to find the the Barone Bymon, and the witch Majorita, in order to figure out how to deal with Breager.

This would be fine if we had a clue where she was. On the other hand, the game is pretty railroaded as far as most of the paths go, so lets first check out the small town directly in our path.

This first town is just a tiny checkpoint for finishing the castle, and is hardly worth mentioning. We are about halfway through the game though, and this is where things start ramping up. Lives here, incidentally cost a whopping 16 vials now, doubling with each subsequent town, and they're only going up from there, so if you need them you better save up outside.

Bymon has the Candle of Darkness. He lives in the southeast part of the land.

Great. Another macguffin.

Majorita? Can't help you.

You need the Candle of Darkness if you want to see Majorita.

Who wants to bet that will come easy to us?

Anyways, that's it for this tiny town, and it's just a hop skip and a jump (for once not literally) to the next town over, supposedly home to this Bymon fella.

You are as red as fire.

Huh. That's a funny coincidence.

Someone stole the Candle of Darkness.

Shocked.

With the power of Claw, you can climb even the sheerest wall.

Now that IS interesting. We don't have Claw magic yet. But you can guess that it's the next on the list!

Majorita lives in the Cave of Darkness. But there is no way to get there.

Oh, uh, hi there.

You are Firebrand, aren't you? You look like a hero. Try your skill against me?
Yes
No

Um, okay?

Gargoyle Duel

So, the Gargoyle Duel. As the video shows, it's kind of a joke test, as you can do like me and just tank the little a-hole as long as you hammer on the fire button. He's basically the same as the flying skeleton demons, seeking you out around the arena, only with a much smaller hitbox. He goes down pretty quickly.

You are truly worthy. I bestow the Armor of Guile upon you.

You have the Armor of Guile. Your vitality level has increased.

Whoa! You're very strong. See you later.

And with that we have one more pip added to our health bar. Considering how many enemies we will now encounter that do two or more hits of damage, that's much needed. And now the doorway to Bymon's place is empty and we can go in.

but before we talk to Bymon himself, I see some loot to liberate. It's only 3 vials, but hey, I'm taking it.

I'm the Barone of the land, Bymon. Firebrand, you are too late. They took the Candle. It's in the Desert of Destitution to the East of here.
Yes
No

Uh, I'm not really sure what's being asked here. Yes?

You are chicken-hearted. You obviously have no use for power. Your powers and your life are mine.
Yes
No

Whoa whoa whoa. Clearly this is an important question, but I have no idea what you're saying, Engrish translator man. So uh, No?

You are brave. If you recover the candle, I'll tell you where Majorita is.

And like that we're off. You'll see on the map above that the desert is pretty big, but there's a spot in the middle that's crater shaped. That's our destination. The only problem is that the desert's blowing wind pushes us all over the place, making a sort of maze to find the path to it. Eventually we'll come in from above, but the buffeting causes us to get into a bunch of random encounters on the way.

Desert of Destitution

You recovered the Candle of Darkness from the Desert of Destitution. You also received the power of Claw.

Sweet! Let's go talk to Bymon again and see about Majorita now. Also, as a bonus, the desert no longer blows us around. It's a straight shot, though in this playthrough, I had an enemy encounter immediately upon exiting.

You have done very well, Firebrand. You can get to the cave where Majorita lives by using the secret passage from this room.

Notice how in Bymon's room there's that little alcove on the right? Now we can walk right through the wall into a cave. There's even two lives and a few vials to pick up on the way! Score! Once we're back out in the overworld, our path is blocked by a lame enemy encounter.

I can't let you meet Majorita. Breager's orders.

It's just two more of those bulldog types. Yawn. With Claw, they only take like, four hits. No, the real barrier to Majorita's cave is the cave enterance itself.

Majorita's Cave

And here we are at the cave. That's Majorita right there. Easy enough.

If you want to know about the Red Blaze, light a candle at the altar.

After we USE the candle on the square, the room goes into negative colors and Majorita keeps teleporting around for us to talk to.

A long time ago, the Red Blaze defeated the King of Destruction, and locked him away, deep underground.

He was called the Red Blaze because his color was that of a blazing fire.

The Red Blaze...Yes, he was a mutant gargoyle.

There remains only one who is the same blood.

On that suspenseful note, the light comes back into the room, and a bad guy enters,blocking your final conversation with Majorita.

Firebrand! Once you know the secret of the Red Blaze, we can't set you free.

Fight in the Cave

That is, the best of my knowledge, the only small fight with that arena in the entire game. A neat little detail. But we make mince meat out of them, even though they're using the top tier random encounter monster.

Your power is also...Now I begin to understand! The one who is of the same blood is... Firebrand, it's you! Only you can defeat Breager. But you are so weak now... Go to the East and find Rushifell. Get the Eternal Candle from him.

And the final leg of our quest before taking on Breager himself is set! We ARE the Legendary Red Blaze! Tune in next time, for more Gargoyle's Quest!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Choco1980 posted:

I'm the Barone of the land, Bymon. Firebrand, you are too late. They took the Candle. It's in the Desert of Destitution to the East of here.
Yes
No

Uh, I'm not really sure what's being asked here. Yes?

You are chicken-hearted. You obviously have no use for power. Your powers and your life are mine.
Yes
No

Whoa whoa whoa. Clearly this is an important question, but I have no idea what you're saying, Engrish translator man. So uh, No?

You are brave. If you recover the candle, I'll tell you where Majorita is.

If I had to guess what the choice is suppose to mean, I think saying yes means that it's too late to do anything and you're giving up. Saying no means that you'll face the danger to get the candle.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I'd totally agree, but it's written so weirdly that it's hard to tell. This game isn't always the best translated, but it tries.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I had access to this game for a few months as a kid but I never understood what was going on in the Overworld. Never actually got around to replaying it when I got a PC, but this LP is making me want to give it a shot.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I'd totally agree, but it's written so weirdly that it's hard to tell. This game isn't always the best translated, but it tries.

That is some EXTREMELY convoluted bullshit with that choice. At least it asks you a second time.

Will he out and out kill you if you answer yes again though?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

No, fortunately, he just repeats himself in a "But thou must" manner, but that's pretty mean considering there are at least two spots in this game that LOOK like But Thou Must questions that screw you over if you get them wrong. (I'm going to try to be showing off the consequences of the second one later in the LP)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

If I had to guess what the choice is suppose to mean, I think saying yes means that it's too late to do anything and you're giving up. Saying no means that you'll face the danger to get the candle.

My guess would be he's asking if you're too scared to go after the candle. That seems simpler.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That boss was kind of neat, actually. Firebrand's got advantage over something that doesn't really fly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Here we are now, Majorita has made the rest of our quest clear: We have to seek out Rushifell (A deliberate mistranslation of Lucifer, who you may recognize as the boss of Ghouls and Ghosts) who will give us the last of our power to reclaim our title of the Red Blaze, and go burn out the Destroyer Army. :black101: So, there's not a lot to say, but we have a new bridge to cross.

Bridge 4

...Or maybe the course isn't so clear, as there's seven tunnels in this valley. Hopefully someone here in the last town will help us.

Before I go any further, I'm no dummy, let's follow this path outside...

Hi, friend! Remember me? It was I who gave you the Armor of Guile. If you're seeking the Naga's Path, (the way to Rushifell, Natch) It's the fifth one from the Northern-most side. The other paths are all traps. Good luck, friend!

:unsmith: Friend Gargoyle's a cool dude. Unfortunately, his advice makes no drat sense from what I assume are translation errors. Anyways, there's only two other Ghouls in town, plus the standard password room and life shop. Lives here cost thirty-two vials, so I hope you saved up.

Firebrand! Why have you come here? You fake! Rushifell has the candle. The real Red Blaze is Rushifell himself.

Well screw you too, buddy.

You are the Red Blaze. With your help, we can defeat Breager.

:unsmith:

Anyways, let's go see what happens if we go into the wrong tunnel, shall we?

Wrong Way

Ah, well that was a bad idea. What we want is the entrance that's to the far right on the map.

Naga's Path

And here we are, outside Rushifell's castle. Nothing to do now but go forward.

Firebrand, I know you're coming. If you are the true Red Blaze. Deafeat me and prove your right to the Eternal Candle. I'll be waiting for you.

And then he literally moonwalks off screen. Time for our hardest challenge yet.

Rushifell's Castle

You are indeed the Red Blaze. But you don't have your full powers yet. For that, you need the Eternal Candle. I am honored to give it to you.

You have the Eternal Candle.

Only you can defeat Breager. Go save our realm, Red Blaze.

The Essence of the Ghoul Realm is building inside you and filling you with power. Someone is speaking to you in your mind.

You are our son. Show us your real power and defeat the King of Destruction.

You acquired the magical power of Darkfire.

There we are, with just one bridge standing between us and Breager's castle, and now we're at maximum power, ready to go all :black101: on his heiney. See you next time as we conclude Gargoyle's Quest!!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm having a hard time hearing you over the music.

Anyway, I'm guessing that if you DO make it through a wrong tunnel, it'll just exit you at another wrong tunnel entrance?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm having a hard time hearing you over the music.

Anyway, I'm guessing that if you DO make it through a wrong tunnel, it'll just exit you at another wrong tunnel entrance?

Yeah, three of the tunnels just lead to the other three, and then the odd one out is the actual way forward. And I think the other gargoyle's hint was basically that if you start counting at the northern "tip" of the series of tunnels, then the fifth one you get to is the way out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Dammit, the one time I breeze through my audio recording because I figured I had a handle on how I set things...

And yeah, the tunnels connect to each other and are a complete waste of time, because those drat piranha plants take so long to kill in such a confined space. I say Rushifell is the hardest boss/level because we're really souped up following meeting him, and the final dungeon is a not very difficult maze instead of a physical challenge.

Though there is one way to make Breager much harder...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Grr, the LP curse seems to be trying to strike me. I just went through, and had DXtory claim it was recording my final session, which went fine, only to not have a video file afterwards. And due to some save state shenanigans, I'm going to have to start all over to get to the end game. Granted, I can do that in less than an hour, but it just aggravates me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hope we can see the conclusion.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm sorry, I haven't forgotten about this, but due to the LP Curse striking at the worst time I got delayed into when my son came for the summer, which takes up a lot of my time. I actually have the final footage recorded, i just need to do the rest of the work now. :sigh:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

I'm sorry, I haven't forgotten about this, but due to the LP Curse striking at the worst time I got delayed into when my son came for the summer, which takes up a lot of my time. I actually have the final footage recorded, i just need to do the rest of the work now. :sigh:

You're the only one who can save the Ghoul Realm, Choco! You know what you have to do!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of surprised they got so many mechanics out of this tiny cartridge.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of barely-there terrain you'll have to cling to in the next boss fight!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

After a long Summer hiatis, we're back for one final update! Sorry, the LP Curse hit me and my footage didn't record after I lost my save state and had to do everything over, just as I was getting my son for the Summer.

Anyways, there's very little left to say here any more as we're out of towns, and we're now fully powered up to lay the smackdown on Breager once and for all. There's no going back, only forward, so lets move on to the final bridge exam.

Bridge 5

As you can see, that wasn't too tough. By this point you should know what you're doing as far as mobility.

Here we go, the last level. Nowhere else to go but in.

Breager's Tower

There he is, the big man himself. But first, ooh, I see Breager's stash! It's 4 lives, because they totally have no faith in you.

Welcome, Red Blaze. I know of your power. There is no need for us to fight. Why don't you become my follower. If you do, I'll give this realm to you. You will be king. What do you say, Red Blaze?

Yes
No

Uh, sure, we are a DEMON after all...

You dare to oppose me?! Come to me. You fool! I absorbed your power. Feel my vengeance? (Yes, he makes it a question)

Breager?

Ouch. The ultimate dick move of the game. They give you the Dragon Warrior treatment of letting you side with Breager, only for him to take away ALL your power and have to fight him at base stats. In which you aren't even able to jump high enough to hit him, let alone out run his shots.

Anyways, let's try this again the right way

Screw you douchebag!

Infernal Red Blaze, once again you hinder me. But I will have the last laugh.

Breager (for real)

WHAT! I've been defeated twice? I'll never forget this. I'll be back...and then... I'll... Guuh... GWAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Hooray Red Blaze!

Red Blaze Forever!

Hey friend! You made it! I knew you would!

Friend Gargoyle is the best :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

But why didn't you tell me you were the legendary Red Blaze. Anyway, you saved the Realm. I hope you'll stay here and help us. By the way, Firebrand, the Earth is yours. If you can conquer the Earth, you can be king there. Good luck!

End Credits

And On that :krad: screen that's The End. Thank you for watching, I have a blast with this game every time I pick it up. It is easily in my top five all time favorite games, and half the obstacles are muscle memory at this point. I was always a horror fan and the mild difficulty scale was pitch perfect for young bad-at-games Choco. I'm admittedly a little burnt out at the moment on Gargoyles, but may in the not too distant future take a crack at the game boy port of the prequel detailing the first time the Red Blaze turned back Breager's forces. The NES version is the only one we saw here in the states, and it's not at all perfect, mostly due to not at all having a well polished set of controls. For whatever reason the team went back and remade the game using the original's tight control scheme, sacrificing color and overall screen size, but adding in a couple of interesting bonus dungeons with their own new reward powers. In my opinion the port is MUCH better made than the original, and not too long back someone made a translation patch, which wasn't hard as there doesn't seem to be any real new dialogue to the NES version. But in the mean time I'm ready to put this happily to rest, and I'm absolutely grateful for all the thread participation that came out of it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Glazius posted:

I'm kind of surprised they got so many mechanics out of this tiny cartridge.

Looking forward to seeing what kind of barely-there terrain you'll have to cling to in the next boss fight!

Thanks for bumping the thread and getting me off my rear end to update. As you can see, there wasn't a whole lot left in the game, but now we're done with it all finally! Again, sorry that the LP curse screwed up my timing and left you all hanging while I had Dad Mode to attend to.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hooray, congrats on finishing the LP. I've always liked this game. Not many platformers let you fly as a core mechanic.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Congrats!

I had this game as a child. Mild difficulty curve? I couldn't even get past the first boss. I found it incredibly hard. Maybe I was just bad?

Also, "credits" without any kind of names of who worked on this game? Were those in the manual, or what?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It actually took me an incredibly long time to get past the first boss. Using password screwery I was able to play other parts of the game (I want to say both all F or all K would get you to weird checkpoints, sans certain items). Once you can beat the first boss, the rest of the game goes easy on difficulty scale, still rising but not at absurd starts and stops.

Also, this was during the early days of video games when people didn't think anyone would care who made the game (though many designers sure did). Capcom especially was notorious for putting in fake credits or using aliases for all the programmers at the time. It's still hard to track down who did what in old games.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So, uh, I never knew about the easy way to kill the final boss. I always did the hard way where you had to outrun his homing shot so it would scroll off the screen.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Choco1980 posted:

Also, this was during the early days of video games when people didn't think anyone would care who made the game (though many designers sure did). Capcom especially was notorious for putting in fake credits or using aliases for all the programmers at the time. It's still hard to track down who did what in old games.

From what I understand, the ability to code was an uncommon and highly sought after skill in Japan, especially when games like Megaman came out and gaming's popularity shot through the roof. Japanese video game companies would not put the full names of their employees in the ending credits (or even used aliases/nicknames) for fear of their precious programmers getting poached by a rival.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That super makes sense to me. Though the plan kinda backfires when a lot of people (especially at Capcom) use the same alias each game.

Anywho, I think by the end of the weekend I'll be emailing to send this one to the archive. If you have something else to add, do it soon. Thanks again everybody, it's been fun sharing one of my favorite games with you all.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

And with that I think we're done here. I've requested an add in the LPArchive, though I'll wait to lock it til after I get confirmation. Thanks again everybody, it's been great!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Congrats on making it through! I watched this with interest, it's always nice to see deceptively simple old games played well. Thanks for the LP!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Choco1980 posted:

That super makes sense to me. Though the plan kinda backfires when a lot of people (especially at Capcom) use the same alias each game.

Well, no. The point was to obscure their real names so their rivals couldn't just look them up in the phone book, or whatever. You could tell me every game BAMBOO worked on and never know it was Yoshinori Takenaka. (On the other hand, just going by Nasir probably did little to obscure Nasir Gebelli's real identity.)

And thanks for the thread!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Haha, it's funny you bring up Yoshinori Takenaka because just last year when I did a little brief LP of Disney's Adventures in the Magic Kingdom I did some research and found out his identity as BAMBOO. That's because if you don't name yourself at the beginning, BAMBOO is the default name!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
drat, I overlooked this LP! :(

Congrats for finishing it.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Congrats!

I had this game as a child. Mild difficulty curve? I couldn't even get past the first boss. I found it incredibly hard. Maybe I was just bad?

Also, "credits" without any kind of names of who worked on this game? Were those in the manual, or what?

As a kid, I borrowed the game from a friend. I never made it through the first level either.

As an adult I remembered this game and used an emulator with save states to beat it. I probably made it harder on myself because I didn't knew that you get an e-tank!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, that item is practically a game breaker it changes things so much. And they only barely hint at it in a few of the dialogue boxes.

You want to see real game breaking though, the bonus powers in the gameboy port of the sequel are kinda absurd. There's an astral projection power that absolutely trivializes the vertical pillar maze, and there's a power up that turns your basic attack into homing shots, making it useful again in end game.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Glad to see you've completed this! Came back after a few month hiatus and saw this was updated. Nice! Good to see the end of this, and that final boss....wow.

Also, don't lock this just yet....I'M MAKING SOMETHING FOR YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm totally verklempted at the concept!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well here you go!

Super Gargoyle's 'n Ghosts Quest Trailer

Now go, make that poo poo happen. We need an LP of this game's sequel(s). The fan art potential alone is worth the time!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

BMS posted:

Well here you go!

Super Gargoyle's 'n Ghosts Quest Trailer

Now go, make that poo poo happen. We need an LP of this game's sequel(s). The fan art potential alone is worth the time!

indeed

Totally adding that to the fan art post.

Like i said, I'm going to take a little break from Gargoyle Questing, but I totally intend to move on to the Game Boy port of the prequel. It's very good, and the control tightening makes the difficulty curve FAR more reasonable than the NES version, where most of the problems are square on the controls.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Goddrat, BMS, top shelf as always!

and good work on the lp, choco i look forward to more gargoyle quests!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I don't think there's any more burning need to post here. I'll lock it if no one objects shortly. The email to Baldurk was sent some time ago to archive this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I got lazy about locking the thread, but I've finally noticed the LP is in the archives, so I see no reason to keep it open any longer. Thanks everyone! I'll probably start work on my next LP in a couple months time once the holiday hustle is over!

• Locked thread