Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean how would a chaotic evil society even work

https://www.freerepublic.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Lawful Stupid, the paladin alignment

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

BKPR posted:

this thread is chaotic bad

I see it as more true neutral tbh

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Whatever happened to Landerig anyway? She/He/Whatever got the piss taken out of them for about 2 weeks solid after they posted that stupid picture.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

White Dog Eggs posted:

Whatever happened to Landerig anyway? She/He/Whatever got the piss taken out of them for about 2 weeks solid after they posted that stupid picture.

he imported a bunch of offsite drama about Eggplant Wizard and got perma'd

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bobert Bobertson posted:

tbh lawful evil is probably the best alignment

I play Lawful Evil every time I play D&D or any RPG really

It just syncs really well as my IRL identity of a white American male

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
gently caress you but not because im evil or anything

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
"Ok, I approach the ferryman, kill him and burn down his house. I then give his grieving family 5 gold before crossing the river, because I'm not some sort of monster."

"B-but he was only charging 3 copper to cross!"

"YOLO, lol."

Chatterbox
Jul 17, 2014

When the going gets weird, the weird go professional.

Wolfsheim posted:

i attack the darkness :roflolmao:

You hit a gazebo, It does nothing.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Alignment is strange, I played a lawful neutral character who only cared about their friends and was trying to get a political position in order to improve the lives of her associates. They were focused on buffs and heals but hated violence so managed to get to level 3 before inflicting any damage in a fight and that was on a giant bug. Everyone assumed they were lawful good.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Im the drunk dwarf passing out with his dick hanging out of a second story inn window

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
the way i always understood it was that good means being selfless and helpful to others, evil is being selfish and only helping others for personal gain, and neutral means you just don't give a gently caress about anything. i always picture neutral characters as totally boring people with no important opinions or motivations, who just tag along and do whatever because they're bored.

neutral is the worst alignment. especially true neutral. i mean at that point you'd have to have literally no personality.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Johnny Football is chaotic neutral

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
slothful natural

that's my webcam

KewlBiens
Nov 21, 2007

by Lowtax
chaotic... chaotic... put your hands you all over my body

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i am a chaotic breather does that help

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the new pleb posted:

Im the drunk dwarf passing out with his dick hanging out of a second story inn window

*stabs u*

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Pharmaskittle posted:

I love tabletop with absolutely no trace of irony, but holy poo poo yes players are the worst. I don't even try to play with people I'm not already good friends with anymore

My brother is an excellent example of this. Under my thumb, he was a decent player- as insufferable as he was in real life, he made a functional party member. Now he doesn't play with us(and we don't play anymore anyway), so he spends all of his time trying to come up with the most broken and/or monkey-cheese pathfinder poo poo possible. Also, he's the fattest and least successful of the three of us, so of course he and his unemployed fatwife had to poo poo out a baby...

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

*stabs u* isn't a chaotic neutral thing, though. It's an adventurer thing. Any time I have a villain start monologuing, I can count on my players to initiate combat. Which is good, because my villains are usually stalling for time while their minions get into position if they start expositing.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Pvt.Scott posted:

*stabs u* isn't a chaotic neutral thing, though. It's an adventurer thing. Any time I have a villain start monologuing, I can count on my players to initiate combat. Which is good, because my villains are usually stalling for time while their minions get into position if they start expositing.

*Starts a shield banging line*

᛬ᚠᚢᚲ᛫ᛃᚢᚱ᛫ᛖᚲᛊᛈᛟᛊᛁᛏᛁᛟᚾ᛫ᛈᚱᛖᛈᚫᛃᚱ᛫ᛏᛟ᛫ᛞᛇ᛬

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Smoremaster posted:

the way i always understood it was that good means being selfless and helpful to others, evil is being selfish and only helping others for personal gain, and neutral means you just don't give a gently caress about anything. i always picture neutral characters as totally boring people with no important opinions or motivations, who just tag along and do whatever because they're bored.

neutral is the worst alignment. especially true neutral. i mean at that point you'd have to have literally no personality.

Yeah I agree, all the neutral alignments are garbage. Lawful Neutral is especially funny since it supposedly means he would function just as well under a just and kind king as he would under literally Hitler. Just like a dog, I guess.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ekster posted:

Yeah I agree, all the neutral alignments are garbage. Lawful Neutral is especially funny since it supposedly means he would function just as well under a just and kind king as he would under literally Hitler. Just like a dog, I guess.

I think that actually describes a large swath of humanity.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Ekster posted:

I thought everyone who wasn't retarded decided the alignments were guidelines at best? My DM was retarded, so Chaotic Good turned into incredibly brutal vigilante justice, and also killing whatever got in the way of your ultimate goal, be it monster or man. Politics were apparently beyond our merry band of murderers, though, because we weren't allowed to interfere in any of that poo poo, even though simply walking into a town could be enough to rewrite the entire political landscape. With murder.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
gently caress it, Dude.
Let's go bowling.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

I thought everyone who wasn't retarded decided the alignments were guidelines at best? My DM was retarded, so Chaotic Good turned into incredibly brutal vigilante justice, and also killing whatever got in the way of your ultimate goal, be it monster or man. Politics were apparently beyond our merry band of murderers, though, because we weren't allowed to interfere in any of that poo poo, even though simply walking into a town could be enough to rewrite the entire political landscape. With murder.

Yeah, I ignore alignments when running games, other than as a vague indicator. One thing 4th edition D&D got right was only having three alignments. Lawful Good, Neutral and Chaotic Evil. Neutral was around 99% of anyone in a setting (y'know, people) where the extreme alignments were almost exclusively for supernatural beings like angels and demons.

I had a good time playing a NE rogue/ranger modeled very loosely on Beowulf in a friend's Norse-ish campaign. I'd seek out monsters ravaging the lands, donate some of my spoils to the widows of the men who took up arms with me and I was generous to friends, etc. Any time I killed a prisoner or a surrendered foe (or even a few innocents) I had a ready excuse or rationalization.

It slowly dawned on my companions that by rolling into town and bragging publicly about the next monster I was going to fight, I was actually trying to get people killed. I would warn any eager warriors who stepped up to join me that, brave though they be, they would likely die and that I wouldn't recommend they come with me. I was guaranteeing a large turnout, as everyone wanted to prove themselves and nobody wanted to look like a coward. So then I'd set out, track the beast(s), raiders, orcs or whatever to its lair and do everything in my power to land the killing blow on the biggest target for bragging rights. I even attempted a lot of stunts in battle, like climbing up huge monsters and the like. Inevitably, 50% or more of the dumbasses who came with me would be dead, making my feats of heroism all the more impressive. I'd go back to town, spread a little wealth, drink, bed a few maidens, murder a few political rivals or suspicious villagers in the night if needed and then repeat at the next village or hold. This earned me and my companions fame, adulation and wealth wherever we went, as I was always sure to tell the tales of our adventures in the mead halls, giving all my companions plenty of time in the spotlight in the stories and honoring the brave fallen warriors. They realized that I had secured their names, though primarily my own, in legend on top of a pile of needless death and destruction. I was mysteriously murdered in my sleep shortly thereafter and we all had a good laugh.

I was playing the only character in the party with any ranks in social skills. Hell, I took Perform: Oratory and Singing to make the boasting, carousing and storytelling actually effective. It's amazing what you can get away with sometimes.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
What the gently caress is this thread about, nigga?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i vote for the republican party straight ticket

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, I ignore alignments when running games, other than as a vague indicator. One thing 4th edition D&D got right was only having three alignments. Lawful Good, Neutral and Chaotic Evil. Neutral was around 99% of anyone in a setting (y'know, people) where the extreme alignments were almost exclusively for supernatural beings like angels and demons.

I had a good time playing a NE rogue/ranger modeled very loosely on Beowulf in a friend's Norse-ish campaign. I'd seek out monsters ravaging the lands, donate some of my spoils to the widows of the men who took up arms with me and I was generous to friends, etc. Any time I killed a prisoner or a surrendered foe (or even a few innocents) I had a ready excuse or rationalization.

It slowly dawned on my companions that by rolling into town and bragging publicly about the next monster I was going to fight, I was actually trying to get people killed. I would warn any eager warriors who stepped up to join me that, brave though they be, they would likely die and that I wouldn't recommend they come with me. I was guaranteeing a large turnout, as everyone wanted to prove themselves and nobody wanted to look like a coward. So then I'd set out, track the beast(s), raiders, orcs or whatever to its lair and do everything in my power to land the killing blow on the biggest target for bragging rights. I even attempted a lot of stunts in battle, like climbing up huge monsters and the like. Inevitably, 50% or more of the dumbasses who came with me would be dead, making my feats of heroism all the more impressive. I'd go back to town, spread a little wealth, drink, bed a few maidens, murder a few political rivals or suspicious villagers in the night if needed and then repeat at the next village or hold. This earned me and my companions fame, adulation and wealth wherever we went, as I was always sure to tell the tales of our adventures in the mead halls, giving all my companions plenty of time in the spotlight in the stories and honoring the brave fallen warriors. They realized that I had secured their names, though primarily my own, in legend on top of a pile of needless death and destruction. I was mysteriously murdered in my sleep shortly thereafter and we all had a good laugh.

I was playing the only character in the party with any ranks in social skills. Hell, I took Perform: Oratory and Singing to make the boasting, carousing and storytelling actually effective. It's amazing what you can get away with sometimes.

A good example. We did comparatively minor stuff like strong-arming caravans that tried to mislead us about the quality of their goods, or waging outright war against a local noble because our cleric was played by a loving retard who worshiped some raven deity whose name escapes me, but who insisted that we punish hubris, so much so that HUBRIS became our battle cry, and an excuse for assaulting literally anyone at all forever until entire towns were laid waste before me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

A good example. We did comparatively minor stuff like strong-arming caravans that tried to mislead us about the quality of their goods, or waging outright war against a local noble because our cleric was played by a loving retard who worshiped some raven deity whose name escapes me, but who insisted that we punish hubris, so much so that HUBRIS became our battle cry, and an excuse for assaulting literally anyone at all forever until entire towns were laid waste before me.

Man, if I were running that game, the capstone would be a fight against the cosmic manifestation of Hubris itself. Everyone, including Hubris, would die as a matter of course.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Hitler was Lawful Good

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Pvt.Scott posted:

Man, if I were running that game, the capstone would be a fight against the cosmic manifestation of Hubris itself. Everyone, including Hubris, would die as a matter of course.

He was a lovely cleric, and we all hated him long before he abandoned the game. Punishing hubris was still a pretty good excuse for putting my sword into whoever I felt deserved it; be they guard, citizen, noble, whatever. If you oppose our mission, then it must be because you have the hubris of mortal man, and I have to do something to you until you either don't have the hubris to oppose us, or are physically incapable of opposition. Oh, the Raven Queen.....that's who his deity was, which was a lovely deity, by the way.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

MegaGatts posted:

The DM needs to start putting some fear of gods into bad players, or just stop inviting bad players over. Seriously, I'm a huge gross nerd so I think table top RPGs are fun, but about 9 out of 10 players are horrible people to be around in any social situation. Asking them to be creative in any way means they'll just copy paste their favorite fantasy protagonist. god I hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
TEH SHINEYS :D :D :D :D

*shineez get*

• Locked thread