Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BeefThief posted:

the talking heads love is the gayest snobbery i can think of. if they were so good the lead guy wouldnt have been doing so much heroin

I wonder if there's a correlation between TH album rankings and how much coke Byrne was doing at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HD DAD posted:

I wonder if there's a correlation between TH album rankings and how much coke Byrne was doing at the time.
No, the band's coke peak was with Speaking in Tongues, their second-worst album.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

BeefThief posted:

the talking heads love is the gayest snobbery i can think of. if they were so good the lead guy wouldnt have been doing so much heroin

yeah cos musicians who take loads of drugs are never good

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, the band's coke peak was with Speaking in Tongues, their second-worst album.

those dance moves on stop making sense though

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
my music is cooler and better sounding than your music

stupid gently caress

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

yeah kind of amazing that they had such a fantastic live performance but wasnt speaking in tongues when they stopped having eno mix their poo poo

it was a mediocre album outside of this must be the place

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TEAYCHES posted:

yeah kind of amazing that they had such a fantastic live performance but wasnt speaking in tongues when they stopped having eno mix their poo poo

it was a mediocre album outside of this must be the place
There's a few problems with Speaking in Tongues. First, they decided to go from having 9 or 10 people playing with them back to 4. Then they decided to keep the same way of writing songs they had with Remain in Light: improvise, build songs around the loops. Then Byrne decided that the lyrics should be nonsense. Remain in Light's lyrics were sometimes obtuse, but Speaking in Tongue has actual nonsense lyrics. Combine that with the weak production and you get a total flop of an album. The ironic thing is that the band aren't bad at production: Jerry Harrison and Chris Frantz remastered Remain in Light in like 2006 and it was great.

It's also why the songs work way better live. They should have had the 10-person band in the first place. But even in Stop Making Sense, the worst song (Making Flippy Floppy) is from Speaking in Tongues and the two best (Once in a Lifetime, Crosseyed and Painless) are from Remain in Light. The songwriting is just better.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
LCD Soundsystem is my favorite TH cover band

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

memy posted:

LCD Soundsystem is my favorite TH cover band
A good choice. Their farewell concert is very Stop Making Sense inspired.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

bump

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
can we also talk about true stories in this thread (which rules) (which has pops staples singing papa legba) (which also rules)

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnNIWKK8sw

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the silicon based transistor was first proposed here in 1949

in 1958 mr. jack kilby invented the integrated circuit

he was working at texas instruments then

he doesnt work there anymore

this is the 150th anniversary of the state of texas

prince charlie, duke of windsor, prince of wales

even he came here for the sesquicentennial opening ceremonies

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

radio reception's great here

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
i have something to say about the difference between american and european cities but i've forgotten what it is

i have it written down at home somewhere

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE-mxVxFXLg

i like symmetry and geometric shapes

i wanted my head to appear smaller

and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger

because music is very physical and often the body understands it before the head

a project with songs based on true stories from tabloid newspapers, it's like 60 minutes on acid

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Torka posted:

talking heads were good, but not great.

hmmm.....

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Howard Beale posted:

can we also talk about true stories in this thread (which rules) (which has pops staples singing papa legba) (which also rules)
It's very good, and the fashion show is the best part of the movie set to the best song on the album.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think Naked is pretty under-rated.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The 2nd half of Remain In Light is dogshit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The 2nd half of Remain In Light is dogshit.
Side B of Remain in Light contains Once in a Lifetime, Houses in Motion, Seen and Not Seen, and Listening Wind, all of which are amazing songs. It also has the Overload, which I'll admit is weird (but also good).

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
Speaking in tongues is my favorite TH album and I'll not have it slandered.

True stories is a close 2nd though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nefarious posted:

Speaking in tongues is my favorite TH album and I'll not have it slandered.
I will slander it, just you watch me...

It's not good.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
you're not good

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nefarious posted:

you're not good
Do you have anything to eat?

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
i maintain a consistent panda bear shape

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Side B of Remain in Light contains Once in a Lifetime, Houses in Motion, Seen and Not Seen, and Listening Wind, all of which are amazing songs. It also has the Overload, which I'll admit is weird (but also good).

The first 4 tracks are godlike but everything after Once in a Lifetime is crap sorry.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Flatulent waffles are the bane of all gluten free peasants in the third world ebola nation.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The first 4 tracks are godlike but everything after Once in a Lifetime is crap sorry.

im not going to defend the musical value of the last four tracks but the lyrical content is something that might take ten years or so and gradually his face would change in shape, a more hooked nose.. wider.. thinner lips... beedy eyes... a larger forehead

TEAYCHES fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just as an FYI but Tom Tom Club also rules https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfvx4l7Mc2g

• Locked thread