Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The answer is the chicken if you believe in creationism, or the egg if you believe in evolutionism, it's that simple, I mean look at the words, they even begin with the same letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

the rooster

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Egg.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
actually, IIRC the chicken came first. Cause even though it hatched from an egg that egg doesn't count as a chicken egg because it wasn't a chicken that laid it but a proto-chicken. So chicken comes out of Proto-CHicken egg, later lays the first chicken egg.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
hen

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
You dont recall correctly cause that first egg was a chicken egg a chicken came out no?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
unless it was both the first chicken born of nonchicken parents and suddenly a change from a species that gives birth to live young then it came from an egg before there were any chickens

pretty dumb question i hope it doesnt catch on

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Volume posted:

actually, IIRC the chicken came first. Cause even though it hatched from an egg that egg doesn't count as a chicken egg because it wasn't a chicken that laid it but a proto-chicken. So chicken comes out of Proto-CHicken egg, later lays the first chicken egg.

That kinda depends on whether you classify an egg as belonging to the species that laid it or the species that is hatching from it.

Also, shut up nerd

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
velociraptor

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vashro posted:

You dont recall correctly cause that first egg was a chicken egg a chicken came out no?

No, it wasn't a chicken egg it was a proto-chicken egg. No chicken laid that egg so it's not a chicken egg.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No never mind, all mighty Google just corrected me

quote:

So in a nutshell (or an eggshell, if you like), two birds that weren't really chickens created a chicken egg, and hence, we have an answer: The egg came first, and then it hatched a chicken.

Photosyphilis
Jul 17, 2014

Science rules!
I spent about 10 minutes writing a serious reply about it. Then I realized that was dumb.

I'm gay

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
OP nailed it in the first post.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

HJB posted:

The answer is the chicken if you believe in creationism, or the egg if you believe in evolutionism, it's that simple, I mean look at the words, they even begin with the same letter.
:wth: :wth: :wth:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, I guess I'm a creationist now.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Volume posted:

No, it wasn't a chicken egg it was a proto-chicken egg. No chicken laid that egg so it's not a chicken egg.

The question was about the egg, not the chicken egg. Fish were laying eggs hundreds of millions of years before there were even birds, so the answer is "the egg"

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Chickens are decedent from dinosaurs, who laid eggs. The egg came before the chicken. You're all stupid.

Fatkraken posted:

velociraptor

Except this guy, he gets it.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
there never was a first chicken. there was a long line of chicken-like generations, each belonging to the same species as its parents and offspring, accumulating small changes between every generation that ultimately ends in the modern day creature we call chicken. where in that line of birds we decide put the label of chicken is completely arbitrary and stems from our innate need to put everything into organized groups.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

LordArgh posted:

there never was a first chicken. there was a long line of chicken-like generations, each belonging to the same species as its parents and offspring, accumulating small changes between every generation that ultimately ends in the modern day creature we call chicken. where in that line of birds we decide put the label of chicken is completely arbitrary and stems from our innate need to put everything into organized groups.

No way, man. It's all about Punctuated Equilibrium. Long periods of stasis and a few rare and rapid periods of speciation.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
you would have had to have self replicating molecules first, leading to rna then dna, then protocell encapsulation, etc.

answer is chicken

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Could we keep the protoexistentialistic sub-debate to a separate thread, thanks.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
alright hear me out:

eggs are generally eaten at breakfast, while chicken as a general rule is more of a lunch or dinner food

does it not logically follow that the egg came first? perhaps there is some innate subconscious knowledge that drives our eating habits

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
What if the chicken and the egg are in fact two different forms of the very same species?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah it was the egg.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
dinosaurs layed eggs and they were around before chicken

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
To help answer the question you can have sex with a chicken but the egg is a bit more difficult. With a little chicken fat you could shove the egg up your rear end.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
keep loving that chicken

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
there's never been an observed or recorded change from one species to another so this question really did make me think

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
I've never seen a monkey turn into a human.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

jneer posted:

I've never seen a monkey turn into a human.

if theres still monkeys why are there humans

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

um its a THEORY for a reason

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
like not even a fly has ever changed into a bigger different fly. Not once in all of recorded history

edit: you just have to believe and maybe we'll see one change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I egged the chicken, and then I ate his leg.

• Locked thread