Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

From what I´ve heard most movies, and books and data in general, are smuggled in on USB flash drives since they're small, easy to conceal and you can make thousands of copies without all the trouble that goes in to copying tapes or burning to discs. This implies that people at least have access to something with a USB port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HorseLord posted:

Then why did you use that phrasing, if not to mean that? You even said changing it would get them sent to a camp.

Did you mean that in the rest of the world, radios play multiple stations simultaneously? None of mine do that; I imagine hearing everything on the FM band in one go would be a bit unintelligible.

There is a part of the radio called the dial. It allows you to move between stations. Government provided radios do not allow the dial to be moved certain ways. You can open up the radio and tamper with it so you can pick up the verboten stations. This is, as explained in the document you pointed out, still punished very heavily. Hell the document supports a bunch of my post.

It'd be pretty cool if you read a single book about the country before posting about it but hell it's the internet, go crazy.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._could_not.html

quote:

In 2011, during the late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il’s final six months, I taught at Pyongyang University of Science and Technology, a private university funded and operated by Westerners to educate the sons of the elite. My students were shockingly unaware of the outside world, which was a sad result of the regime’s maniacal control of all information, both in and out of the country. Though most of my students were computer majors, they did not know the Internet existed, and I wasn’t allowed to tell them

It's interesting you didn't actually the read the whole document either because you'd notice how much it skews towards an urban population (the vast majority of North Koreans are not urbanites).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 3, 2015

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

There is a part of the radio called the dial. It allows you to move between stations. Government provided radios do not allow the dial to be moved certain ways. You can open up the radio and tamper with it so you can pick up the verboten stations.

Here's what you said:

Groovelord Neato posted:

they have radios set to a single frequency (and you get sent to a camp if you alter it)

That's not the same thing. You know, what with different legal stations having different frequencies, a single frequency radio is a bit of a contradiction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It'd be pretty cool if you read a single book about the country before posting about it but hell it's the internet, go crazy.

It'd be cool if you'd remember your own posts. By the way what book tells the story of DPRK secret police bursting in because a little kid looked in the toilet bowl and said it looked like a mountain?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HorseLord posted:

Here's what you said:

That's not the same thing. You know, what with different legal stations having different frequencies, a single frequency radio is a bit of a contradiction.

It'd be cool if you'd remember your own posts. By the way what book tells the story of DPRK secret police bursting in because a little kid looked in the toilet bowl and said it looked like a mountain?

I imagine it's possible that the kid said it in school or another public place and maybe the parents were already disliked or too poor to bribe anyone.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HorseLord, does North Korea pay you to defend them on random message boards or is that just a hobby of yours?

Like, yeah, Americans are probably as ignorant about North Korea as they are about literally every country that isn't America (and gently caress that, throw America's history in there too), but I'm still pretty confident it's a lovely place even if the more outlandish stuff is untrue and so I don't get the point in defending it. Nobody is going to think "woah, they have DVD players? maybe I was wrong about them all along" so what is the purpose of your posts? This horribly oppressive dictatorship isn't quite the backwater shithole you think it is! :eng101:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HorseLord posted:

Here's what you said:

Yeah look, I have no problem understanding what he meant and you're not really getting anywhere making him sound crazy for saying that North Korea is not an open country and its people don't really have a lot of reliable access to outside media. Yes, lots of people have DVD players with USB drives and some kind of personal computer that they got through the black market. It doesn't mean that it's a low-risk activity to learn about the world outside. Of course the police there don't have some amazing all-pervasive surveillance system that allows them to hear inside of people's homes, but like the Soviet Union in the 50s they pick people up for gossip or no good reason and send them to die in concentration camps because the government doesn't care what happens to people. It's not some insane moon land or sci-fi dystopia, but people don't get enough to eat and sometimes starve, and are really pretty beaten down and tightly controlled within the range of control that is feasibly possible for a tiny country in bad decline.

We can speak about these things without hyperbole.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I like how I'm "defending North Korea" because I pointed out that they do, in fact, have DVD players and TVs, and that a lot of stuff people believe about them is rubbish. I don't even like the place, I'm just tired as hell of seeing supposedly enlightened western liberals use them as an acceptable target for racism. Koreans all worship the Kims and think they don't poop and are magic golf players, and they're grateful to them for the right to eat soil and live in hovels. Also, black people address everyone as "massa" and love themselves watermelon after a long day at the bongo factory. What the gently caress.

Jack Gladney posted:

like the Soviet Union in the 50s they pick people up for gossip or no good reason and send them to die in concentration camps because the government doesn't care what happens to people.

Your grasp of soviet history is really bad and appealing to me as if I share it won't work.

Jack Gladney posted:

We can speak about these things without hyperbole.

Then stop getting upset when the hyperbole gets pointed out.

Jack Gladney posted:

I imagine it's possible that the kid said it in school or another public place and maybe the parents were already disliked or too poor to bribe anyone.

I'm betting this story has been so warped over time that it's impossible to find out what incident it's about, assuming there's actually a single incident it refers to at all. NK once released a news story about how they'd found a place that one of their fairytales referred to. It got to us as "North Korea confirms existence of unicorns." So I'm not particularly inclined to believe it.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 3, 2015

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Also I'm pretty sure NK isn't on the moon!

Lehrer
Mar 6, 2004
I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!

HorseLord posted:

No, it isn't. Like, most of it was disproved by the actual research Jack Gladney just posted, the rest of it is the usual kim-jong il golf score nonsense.

For Christ's sake I'd imagine radios that can only pick up a single frequency would be more than a little daft in a country with dozens of different stations.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/358468212/the-public-radio-the-single-station-fm-radio/description

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well as interesting as the amount of dirt the NK people eat for dinner has been, is there any development on the link about it possibly being former employees?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Rhyno posted:

Well as interesting as the amount of dirt the NK people eat for dinner has been, is there any development on the link about it possibly being former employees?

The FBI took a look at that analysis and was apparently unconvinced. I don't think they specified why though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Eggnogium posted:

The FBI took a look at that analysis and was apparently unconvinced. I don't think they specified why though.

Well the most likely reason is that the White House already issued a statement and we are 100% officially blaming North Korea. How embarrassing would it be for it to be proven that NK had nothing to do with it and were in fact scapegoats?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Rhyno posted:

Well the most likely reason is that the White House already issued a statement and we are 100% officially blaming North Korea. How embarrassing would it be for it to be proven that NK had nothing to do with it and were in fact scapegoats?

I have no doubt that they feel some pressure to stick to their guns to avoid a backtrack, but if the evidence was actually ironclad I think they'd have to know it'd come out eventually and be that much more embarrassing down the line. I mean they only have to go back a decade to Iraq's "nuclear program" to see how that would play out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, unlike Iraq, it's not like the government needs an excuse to gently caress around with North Korea.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So, that "9/11-style attack" was horrible, right guys? Man North Korea seems super pissed that that movie is available now.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

I have no doubt that they feel some pressure to stick to their guns to avoid a backtrack, but if the evidence was actually ironclad I think they'd have to know it'd come out eventually and be that much more embarrassing down the line. I mean they only have to go back a decade to Iraq's "nuclear program" to see how that would play out.

you accidentally illustrated a wonderful example as to how they would never back track, and irt an incident 100 times more important than this movie.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 12, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

TetsuoTW posted:

So, that "9/11-style attack" was horrible, right guys? Man North Korea seems super pissed that that movie is available now.

Sometimes, in extortion attempts, people make exorbitant threats that they can't actually make good on.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TetsuoTW posted:

12/25 never forget :911:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Sometimes, in extortion attempts, people make exorbitant threats that they can't actually make good on.
North Korea seems really shaken up about its bluff being called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HorseLord posted:

I like how I'm "defending North Korea" because I pointed out that they do, in fact, have DVD players and TVs, and that a lot of stuff people believe about them is rubbish. I don't even like the place, I'm just tired as hell of seeing supposedly enlightened western liberals use them as an acceptable target for racism. Koreans all worship the Kims and think they don't poop and are magic golf players, and they're grateful to them for the right to eat soil and live in hovels. Also, black people address everyone as "massa" and love themselves watermelon after a long day at the bongo factory. What the gently caress.

WTF dude. This is a terrible post and you're a terrible poster.

Rhyno posted:

There's about as much evidence for that as there is that it came from NK. Here's an article that goes into it: http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...er.single.html. Basically, its too soon to say who did it. Its too soon to even say how many did it.

• Locked thread