Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/15/7393665/skype-translator-features

quote:

Microsoft’s Skype software will start translating voice calls between people today. As part of a preview program, Skype Translator makes it possible for English and Spanish speakers to communicate in their native language, without having to learn a new one. It sounds like magic , but it’s the result of years of work from Microsoft’s research team and Skype to provide an early working copy of software that could help change the way the world communicates in the future.

Skype Translator Preview works on Windows 8.1 or preview copies of Windows 10, and it works by translating voice input from an English or Spanish speaker into text and translated audio. An English speaker will hear a translation from a Spanish speaker, and vice versa. Microsoft previously demonstrated the technology working between English and German, but Spanish will be the only language outside of English that will be initially supported during the preview.

Microsoft is marketing Skype Translator as a tool for schools, and the company tested it out with students in the US and Mexico. Skype is already popular in the classroom, with teachers participating in video conferences around the world to connect their schools to classrooms across the globe. While tests and demonstrations have been in limited and controlled experiments, Microsoft’s move today opens up its Skype Translator to a much wider audience to test it in the real world.

Microsoft is also translating instant messaging conversations through Skype Translator, with more than 40 languages supported. If you’re interested in testing Skype Translator then you’ll need to request an invite at Microsoft’s Skype site, and using registration code STVER4230 may help you get an invite a little quicker.

Link to the sign-up, I have no idea if that code actually does anything at all: http://www.skype.com/en/translator-preview/

Demo (English-German):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rek3jjbYRLo

This is probably old news for some of you, but I just discovered this, and goddamn I'm pumped. Even if this first offering is subpar and rife with mistranslations and bugs, if this even works mostly as advertised it'll be amazing. While the demo video shows some delay in the translation and a lot of awkward silent stares while the program translates, it's still a big leap forward. Right now it's supporting 2 spoken languages and over 40 written--where's this technology gonna be in 10 years? This is some straight-up sci-fi poo poo and it's awesome. We're already shrinking the world daily in terms of travel and communication; this is gonna be great for people who have, say, foreign family but don't speak the language.

If this technology ends up taking off in a big way, I wonder what effects it'll have on translators. I could easily see this technology being polished to the point that 20-30 years from now we'll see a decline in demand for actual human translators. poo poo, make it reliable enough and you could sell a system to the UN to hold their meetings with. I don't think translators are going away anytime soon, but is there anything they offer that a fluent, instant translator app couldn't?

Also, I wonder what effects we'd see on language and language education if this catches on. I don't think anyone will stop learning languages, but if everyone can use an app on their computer/phone to do business most places in the world, expectations or requirements might be more relaxed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Gas este hilo y prohibir el cartel original

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans?
Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language?
Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,
Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome
both Jews and converts to Judaism; Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring "i'm gay""

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
One of my exes is in grad school now to become a translator so this is excellent news.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
this will bring about some hilarious mistranslations so I'm all for it

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If this technology ends up taking off in a big way, I wonder what effects it'll have on translators. I could easily see this technology being polished to the point that 20-30 years from now we'll see a decline in demand for actual human translators. poo poo, make it reliable enough and you could sell a system to the UN to hold their meetings with. I don't think translators are going away anytime soon, but is there anything they offer that a fluent, instant translator app couldn't?

Also, I wonder what effects we'd see on language and language education if this catches on. I don't think anyone will stop learning languages, but if everyone can use an app on their computer/phone to do business most places in the world, expectations or requirements might be more relaxed.

We're not gonna have perfect translation until we understand how humans understand language, so I can't see this being used at the UN where are wrong word could set two countries at odds. Even if you know how humans understand language, you then have to replicate it, and that's really hard, because so much of our understanding comes from outside knowledge that we apply. Take a example like someone pointing at a baseball bat and saying "That's a nice bat!" The computer has to not only be able to understand the intricacies of language, but that the image shows a baseball bat as opposed to a flying bat.

I can certainly see this is useful for the general public, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

there is more to human language and translation that a 1 to 1 replacement code you empty nutsack

• Locked thread