Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Problem description: Ever since I got my modem replaced, my download speed through my router has been about 1/6th of what it used to be. Upload speeds have not changed at all, however. I have tested my download speeds directly through the modem and with a different router, and both of those are fine. The problem persists when I run an ethernet cable to my laptop from the router so it's not an issue with the wireless settings.

The ISP tech who installed the new modem made a comment about the router having custom firmware and that the download speed was slower than it should be, but I thought nothing of it at the time.

The router is a Netgear WNR2000v3, and I have the latest compatible version of dd-wrt on it (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) std - build 18777).

Attempted fixes: I have tried resetting my router to the factory default setting, but the problem still exists. I've also tinkered with a lot of dd-wrt advanced settings, taking care to backup the settings before I try them out. Can't really list them all since I don't remember which ones I've tried, sorry!

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Hoping someone has an idea of what options I should try. If needed I can call my ISP again but since the problem isn't present when I plug a computer directly into the modem or when I use a different router, I suspect the problem lies within this particular router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
How fast is your Internet connection? The router is likely too old to support it properly.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alereon posted:

How fast is your Internet connection? The router is likely too old to support it properly.

Using a speedtest with the other router (which is a model that is pretty old, and doesn't support dd-wrt) I'd get around 60ish Mbps. Ditto for plugging in directly to the modem. With the current router I get about 9.5 Mbps with the same speedtest.

The router used to be just fine and reached those speeds easily, but then we got a new modem and that's when this problem started.

I wish I could just use that old router instead but it got to a point where it would frequently drop connections so unfortunately it's not viable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One of my friends that has been giving me suggestions on what to do told me to change the MTU value from auto to manual and gave me a bunch of numbers to try out, and that wound up working. Speed's a lot faster now and while it's not as fast as it should be I figure I just gotta experiment with tweaking those numbers. Unless something horrible happens I'm considering this problem solved!

• Locked thread