Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Problem description:
History: I built a desktop from new and used parts and it worked fine for a couple of years and it started having small problems. Mouse arrow would go erratic, CD tray wouldn't open, restarts happened. I had a repair guy come over, he tested all the components except the MBO and they all seemed all right. He didn't have time for a thorough test of the HDD. He reinstalled the OS, I replaced the mouse and it was all right for a couple of months. Then reboots reappeared.

Most often the computer would freeze - the browser window would go Unresponsive, other software would continue to run but soon the whole computer would freeze or restart.
Sometimes the computer would freeze but would recover after a couple of minutes.
Sometimes the computer would reset with a blue screen.
Sometimes the computer would reset without a blue screen.
Sometimes weeks would pass without any problem.
Sometimes it would reboot normally - when some letters appear on black screen (I can't read them because they're a bit off screen), and a line of dots starts progressing, that's a good sign.
Sometimes the reboot would go directly to the Starting Windows screen and that means that it will be would stay forever like that or would reboot again.
Only once on reboot it said it had a boot disk failure and that I should replace the disk. After that it rebooted normally.

One day after 15 failed reboot attempts in a row, I took it to the repair shop (a different company). They couldn't reproduce the problem! The computer worked perfectly at their place. They thoroughly tested all the components and suggested that my electric installations could be faulty. However I'm using a laptop in the same apartment without a battery and with no problem.

After that it worked fine for some weeks. Problems then reappeared and I was unable to boot. I called another repair guy and of course when he got here it worked perfectly. He checked the resident programs, temperature, he fired up several demanding web sites... nada.

Then it occurred to me that problems almost always appear in the browser (Firefox) so I installed Chrome. It displayed the welcome screens. After a few minutes during which I didn't even touch the computer, Chrome crashed citing some memory addresses. After a few more minutes of me not touching the computer, it rebooted. As a reminder, memory chips have been tested five or six times by now, by me and by different IT repair technicians.

I don't even believe that anyone can help with this fucker. I decided I'm done and that I will disassemble it and sell it for parts. I guess this post is a rant / last ditch effort.

--

Operating system: Win 7 64 bit

System specs:
AMD Radeon HD 6570
Samsung HD753LJ SCSI HDD
Intel Celeron G530, 2.40 GHz
RAM 2x2 GB Ripjaws
MBO Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3
Power supply Antec 430 W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: No, where is it? Do you mean the Rules post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I don't think there is a lot we can advise here, your problems really are all over the place. The tests we could suggest would not be perfect and do not conclusively rule out anything. All we will say is that X is probably broken and you should replace X. With that said...

Your issue is likely the hard drive, you should replace that first. If that doesn't help, try running with only 1 RAM stick installed, then the other to see if that helps. If that doesn't resolve it, try replacing your power supply. If that produces no results, it's probably the motherboard. Or your graphics card. Or CPU. Everything is on the table now until you can rule some things out by swapping in some known good parts.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Skandranon, I see you responding in these threads and thanks for being so willing to help.

I'm hoping against hope that somebody will post a genius idea... If not, I'm giving up. I've wasted so many hours of my work and money on repairs that it would've been far less costly if it exploded the first day I put it together. My plan is to sell parts. If one of the buyers later complains that HDD or whatever isn't functioning, I'll refund them and at least make some money on the other parts. Since each component individually passed the tests, it's also possible that it's the combination that somehow produces the problem and maybe nobody will even report that their component isn't working.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
It's possible it's an unfortunate combination, but that doesn't usually end up being 'magic' so much as one part specifically sucks, usually the motherboard. Short of someone having your exact situation, I do not foresee anyone being able to post a genius idea, as it's not an advanced matter, but one of too many unknowns. If you have some spare parts, swap them in and see what happens. If not... don't waste too much more time on this heap. Unless you are dirt poor, you will be much happier and less frustrated buying some new parts and starting from scratch. You can only realistically deal with a lot of crap parts if you at least have some good ones to help test with. In isolation, you might never really know what the problem is and tear your hair out, and it's not worth it.

• Locked thread