Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
my uni wouldn't let professors require a book that they authored, which kinda hurt some who were learning from some of the best minds in that field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

rotor posted:

communism works

:ussr:

drat right

look at them nordic countries

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hed posted:

my uni wouldn't let professors require a book that they authored, which kinda hurt some who were learning from some of the best minds in that field

also a great way to make sure you don't retain talent

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gently caress the professors, putting out a new edition every year so that used books are worthless. copy all of the books.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ooh i just remembered also i had to take an intro to psychology class, and the professor in that class had written the textbook and included with it a piece of software called ACE-IT. it was literally just 500 or so study questions in a cheap Director wrapper...but every single question this professor put on an exam would be taken from the ACE-IT cd. so if you had the cd and knew all the answers on there you would be guaranteed 100% on the exam. e: or maybe it was 90% of the questions, something like that. anyway if you knew all those questions you would have no trouble getting an A.

obviously the thing everyone wanted was ACE-IT but it only came with the $110 book. it had some kind of poo poo-tacular copy protection where the software was on a CD, but there was a floppy included as well, and you had to have the floppy in the drive to install and run the program. when you installed it, it would write some kind of encrypted computer key to some other encrypted file stored on the floppy, making it into a dongle essentially. it only allowed a single install. if you had no floppy drive (this was in early iMac and iBook days so even though Director ran fine on early OS X, anyone with a mac was hosed) oh yeah and the software was written by the professor's son.

so i theorized about how it was working and i imaged the floppy before installation, with the clean file on it, then stuck that image up on the residence DC++ network. i got like 900 downloads of that file in the first week i made it available. boo fuckin yea eat poo poo dr. mcclintock ya loving racketeer taking advantage of the young and poor

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 25, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

when I was in college I would just xerox my books and return em, saved ~$150 in a nights work on someone else's xerox machine

was a lil awkward in numerical analysis when the prof was the author of the book but o well

lol

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

rotor posted:

I wonder if kids in college just photograph their textbooks then return them

i just wouldnt buy books at all, and it actually worked out great once i was at the stage where it was just senior level cs and math electives

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

rotor posted:

I wonder if kids in college just photograph their textbooks then return them

these days if you don't buy the books you can't get a good mark for some classes
a lot of classes have books with online assignments and worksheets that count towards your final grade, so you have to pay money to get a unique login for some bullshit thirdparty website

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

when I was in college I would just xerox my books and return em, saved ~$150 in a nights work on someone else's xerox machine

was a lil awkward in numerical analysis when the prof was the author of the book but o well

when had kinkos collegejob i scanned in so many textbooks and even made my own notebooks outta archival quality paper

also printed out a shitload of :filez: d&d books and did character sheets on "antique" resume paper

if you came into my shop with roleplaying stuff you did not pay

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Good poo poo write a Steve x marissa slash fiction next

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

not feelin it ... unless u mean ballmer!! :twisted:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

prefect posted:

yahoo tv is giving me another season of community, so that's a-okay with me

waitwhat

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

:jazzhands: :canada:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

ooh i just remembered also i had to take an intro to psychology class, and the professor in that class had written the textbook and included with it a piece of software called ACE-IT. it was literally just 500 or so study questions in a cheap Director wrapper...but every single question this professor put on an exam would be taken from the ACE-IT cd. so if you had the cd and knew all the answers on there you would be guaranteed 100% on the exam. e: or maybe it was 90% of the questions, something like that. anyway if you knew all those questions you would have no trouble getting an A.

obviously the thing everyone wanted was ACE-IT but it only came with the $110 book. it had some kind of poo poo-tacular copy protection where the software was on a CD, but there was a floppy included as well, and you had to have the floppy in the drive to install and run the program. when you installed it, it would write some kind of encrypted computer key to some other encrypted file stored on the floppy, making it into a dongle essentially. it only allowed a single install. if you had no floppy drive (this was in early iMac and iBook days so even though Director ran fine on early OS X, anyone with a mac was hosed) oh yeah and the software was written by the professor's son.

so i theorized about how it was working and i imaged the floppy before installation, with the clean file on it, then stuck that image up on the residence DC++ network. i got like 900 downloads of that file in the first week i made it available. boo fuckin yea eat poo poo dr. mcclintock ya loving racketeer taking advantage of the young and poor
good

when I was in university one of the into to chemistry profs would always announce on the first day of class that you could by "official course notes" which were basically all his lecture notes and stuff and if you studied from those you'd get an A and wouldn't need to come to class. He sold them for $150. I bought them and photocopied and bound them (I worked at Sears part time so I'd come in early and just use the photocopier and binding machine) and sold them for $20.

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

some places security shrink wrap them

if you return them opened, they pay you 10% of the face value, around 25$

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
post the best nyt articles of the year

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/most-popular

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

that's not for all year I don't think

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

youre obituary

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Waroduce posted:

The yahoo book looks p good I ordered it

Any good ones on MS or apple?

Infinite Loop is good on early apple and probably the most thorough book on 1976-1996
the macintosh way if you like or otherwise want to experience some evangelism
all of the steve-specific books are obsolete now that the biography is out
AppleDesign is good for the ID aspects from 84 to late 90s including the start of Ive, but it can be hard to find and/or expensive so check your library

atmz
Jan 5, 2005

lurk lurk lurk
my uni didn't require any books at all, every professor just handed out notes which were/are available online, as are past exams. owned owned owned

kinda bad now because I can go look at the exams I did and realize that I now know nothing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMZ posted:

my uni didn't require any books at all, every professor just handed out notes which were/are available online, as are past exams. owned owned owned

kinda bad now because I can go look at the exams I did and realize that I now know nothing

nobody knows anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TMZ posted:

lol

the only book I returned that wasn't from a gen Ed class (even though I kept some of those) was my statistics book and I kinda wish I had that particular one a couple times a year

• Locked thread