Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill let you know on january 26th!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I am playing swtor bit by bit, some week I play 16 hours, some 0 hours so that is pretty healthy. However I played TSW from June to November last year and I started to feel that my in game persona was more loved and more successful then my "real" self and played in average 30 hours a week. It creep me out and I cut the game out.

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Maybe? I dunno it depends on what you play MMOs for. FF14 is basically a WoW-esque so if you don't derive much enjoyment from challenging yourself with progressively more difficult content, there really isn't a whole lot left for you.

But there's rather a lot to do post-50 if you do enjoy that kind of thing.

The game itself is great but my last experience with an MMO was FFXI when I was a teenager and I'm awful at playing the one 50 job I have.

And tbh I would say that FFXIV takes way more skill to play compared to what I did in FFXI to get to 75. Grinding in XI was easy to me just by doing Fields of Valor pages and Campaign.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I am desperately wandering from MMO to MMO in an attempt to recapture the magic of Ultima Online as I played it in 1998. I have lost count how many MMOs I have tried.

I know my efforts are futile. WoW, like the borg having assimilated much of the galaxy, ripped apart the last real bit of creativity with its casual appeal and finely polished, accessible content.

But I am always lured by the faint hope that, someday, there will be an MMO that finally grabs me like UO did.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to recapture the feeling you got from your first mmo is futile. I've been in this boat ever since City of Heroes (not that CoH was my first mmo, jus that it was the last one that I really gave a poo poo about/was excited to play) went under and I have done nothing but care less and less about mmos in general. :smith: There is no sense of newness anymore, save maybe for the Oculus Rift. More and more mmos are getting shat out; some try to reinvent the wheel, some try to be super casual, some are just out to make a buck but most of them are terrible. The ones that aren't are good fun to a point, then it becomes a min/max raid treadmill. Which used to be extremely fun, but I just don't have the time anymore.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this poo poo, but I just want to get all :pcgaming: about something new and have something exciting to look forward to playing, instead I'll probably just end up re-subbing EvE. :smithicide:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
now im sad because i miss CoH

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I've come to the conclusion that trying to recapture the feeling you got from your first mmo is futile. I've been in this boat ever since City of Heroes (not that CoH was my first mmo, jus that it was the last one that I really gave a poo poo about/was excited to play) went under and I have done nothing but care less and less about mmos in general. :smith: There is no sense of newness anymore, save maybe for the Oculus Rift. More and more mmos are getting shat out; some try to reinvent the wheel, some try to be super casual, some are just out to make a buck but most of them are terrible. The ones that aren't are good fun to a point, then it becomes a min/max raid treadmill. Which used to be extremely fun, but I just don't have the time anymore.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this poo poo, but I just want to get all :pcgaming: about something new and have something exciting to look forward to playing, instead I'll probably just end up re-subbing EvE. :smithicide:

MMO_truth.txt

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I keep playing different MMOs for about a month and then quitting because I realize I'm not having any fun, and the community in general chat tends to grate on me.

I'm currently playing SWTOR, but mostly sticking to finishing up the class stories without attempting to group with anyone (I wanted KOTOR3, but this is the closest I'm going to get.). WoW cannot hold my attention at all, Guild Wars 2 looks like it has a lack of 'things to do' when I hit max level which has me not even bothering. Secret World looks pretty great, but the actual gameplay is rather unfun. I got seriously burned when I bought into Wildstar's hype and paid money for it only to quit before the first month of the subscription lapsed.

I'm not even sure what it is that draws me to MMOs, yet I keep getting into new ones or subscribing. I'd be perfectly happy playing an always-online RPG with a chat box, that I can occasionally play in co-op for certain scenarios.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I quit WoW because I hate what the devs did to my favorite classes and I realized I was not having fun at all in WoD. Garrisons are a sad excuse for "housing" when mmo's like EQ2 got it right. I subbed and decided to try out FF14 because I grew up on Final Fantasy games and the ~*anime~* makes me nostalgic for my first mmo love, Ragnarok Online. :smith: That's my story.

I had played WoW for nearly 10 years but what's strange is that I hardly ever did any raiding. I tolerated it for kara and ICC but 90% of the time I really hate listening to other people's voices in vent/teamspeak. The only time I ever enjoyed talking to others in an mmo was back in wotlk when I was in a really scrubby raiding guild. We just did a bit of nax and the argent tourny raid and we'd talk about old sentai shows.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 29, 2015

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Colgate posted:

I'm not even sure what it is that draws me to MMOs, yet I keep getting into new ones or subscribing. I'd be perfectly happy playing an always-online RPG with a chat box, that I can occasionally play in co-op for certain scenarios.

I might start looking at what's in beta right now because it seems like that's when I had at least some fun. Figuring out a new game with goonfriends, shooting the poo poo on mumble, griefing pubbies in hilarious new ways, and most of all being somewhat on par with the people I'm playing the game with (Eve being an exception).

There's nothing worse than being the adorable newbie in a game while everyone else is out and about doing sweet stuff while you get left out in the low levels alone. :sigh: Games like APB: Reloaded, Eve, City of Heroes, etc. were fantastic at letting new players feel useful in a group of bitter-vets and I had an absolute blast fumbling through the low levels.

Now it feels like once I start a new to me mmo/multiplayer, a good majority of the players are too focused on their own objectives and stuff to be bothered to level-sync, thus making the game feel more like a chore to get to the point where you can start having fun with people.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm weaning myself off of WoW by playing FF14RR after Dragon Age was such a peice of poo poo single player MMO it nearly drove me back to WoW. Its sorta like methodone after heroin because FF14 is essentially WoW but everything is twice as slow and all the quests have dozens more steps. It scratches the itch while also being unequivocally bad enough that I don't risk addiction.

After World of Darkness Online or whatnot got axed the final wink of hope for an interesting new MMO died.

E: despite being a mess FF14 is still probably the best final fantasy game I've played since 9 but the bar is pretty low. Its also probably one of the best post-WoW MMOs but ditto.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 29, 2015

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
If anyone tells you an MMO is good, it's bad.

If anyone tells you an MMO used to be bad, but is now good, it's still loving bad.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 6, 2015

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Each MMO can be the soft or the hard stuff. You can be socially smoking WoW a few times a week, or mainlining it into your eyes.

EvE is eternally the MMO equivalent of selling your body for crack however, it is poo poo.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
Resubbed to FFXI, download took 6+ hours, played for 3 hours, unsubbed. Used to play for 40+ hours a week in middeschool, I'm proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I subbed and decided to try out FF14 because I grew up on Final Fantasy games and the ~*anime~* makes me nostalgic for my first mmo love, Ragnarok Online. :smith: That's my story.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hello my name is Cao Ni Ma, and I've been playing MMOs since a childhood friend went over to my house one day and told me "you gotta play this poo poo" and gave me a cd-r with the words Ragnarok Online sharpied into it.
Have you two seen the thread for Tree of Savior? It looks like a modern Ragnarok Online, sort of a spiritual successor!!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630859

• Locked thread