Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Doc Block posted:

No it doesn't. Do you not pause where the Oxford comma would have gone?

edit: some serious Neanderthal-level opinions ITT, courtesy on Oxford comma haters.

do you put a comma between two terms? "x and y"

no?

then why put one at the end of a list? "x, y and z"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Because then it goes from being said as if it were a list to the way you would say "I have two children, a dog and a cat" as if the dog and cat were your "children"?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

use a colon for that kind of construction

i have two children: a dog and a cat

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

additionally, formal written english is not meant to transcribe spoken english

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

what's quite fascinating is that, in spoken english, no punctuation is used; and yet someone could tell that when you say "i have two children a cat and a dog" you don't mean "i have two children which are a cat and a dog"

even without the comma!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Depends on the pauses. And no, without pauses you can't tell if "I hung out with two hookers Crystal and Neveah" means you hung out with two hookers in addition to Crystal and Neveah, or if Crystal and Neveah were the names of the two hookers. Someone would probably infer that you meant the latter rather than the former.

Only by the grace of the Oxford comma can the reputations of Crystal and Neveah be saved. "I hung out with two hookers PAUSE Crystal PAUSE and Neveah," would be written as, "I hung out with two hookers, Crystal, and Neveah."

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

BIG BOY EXPO 2K posted:

who gives a gently caress about an oxford comma?

actually, i do i am v pro them

this is the post I came here to write, carry on op

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Smoremaster posted:

depends on context. sometimes the oxford comma can help with clarity. most of the time it just make sentences look cluttered and breaks up the flow. for better clarity use colons and semicolons where appropriate, you loving neanderthals

i was feeling p. blessed that i haven't yet encountered a fucker who is actually against the oxford comma but then you come in a nd ruin it

"wah it makes my brony fanfiction look cluttered im a big dumb baby"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

oxford commas wilt before the imposing power of true punctuation: the colon, the semi-colon, the full stop.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
"hey guys this one comma makes writing look cluttered so instead i'm gonna spray colons and semicolons everywhere that'll make it better"

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it's a matter of decisiveness. an oxford comma is a flimsy wimp. a colon is like a slap to the face.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Block posted:

Depends on the pauses. And no, without pauses you can't tell if "I hung out with two hookers Crystal and Neveah" means you hung out with two hookers in addition to Crystal and Neveah, or if Crystal and Neveah were the names of the two hookers. Someone would probably infer that you meant the latter rather than the former.

Only by the grace of the Oxford comma can the reputations of Crystal and Neveah be saved. "I hung out with two hookers PAUSE Crystal PAUSE and Neveah," would be written as, "I hung out with two hookers, Crystal, and Neveah."

We don't actually change the pauses in spoken speech we change the stress on the words HTH

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

I totally broke a monitor because of you :(

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.

nomadologique posted:

oxford commas wilt before the imposing power of true punctuation: the colon, the semi-colon, the full stop.

Yes. Use the correct punctuation for natural clarity. Colons are underappreciated. That said, I always use Oxford commas for lists because you cannot be misconstrued.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Doc Block posted:

No it doesn't. Do you not pause where the Oxford comma would have gone?

edit: some serious Neanderthal-level opinions ITT, courtesy on Oxford comma haters.

Doc Block posted:

it's more about tone than pausing when it's spoken though. just because a comma is written does not mean you necessarily have to pause while speaking it. it's there for clarity since there is no tone of voice in written word.

and the examples you gave can be solved by changing the order of the list. instead of saying "i hung out with two hookers, crystal, and neveah" you could say "i hung out with crystal, neveah and two hookers". sounds better too imo. that said, there are times when i use it and times when i do not. it's just a matter of preference. i spend most of my time shitposting instead of exercising correct grammar though so whatever :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I think it's good, useful, and correct.

well if my uncle at nintendo says so it must be true

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Smoremaster posted:

and the examples you gave can be solved by changing the order of the list. instead of saying "i hung out with two hookers, crystal, and neveah" you could say "i hung out with crystal, neveah and two hookers". sounds better too imo. that said, there are times when i use it and times when i do not. it's just a matter of preference. i spend most of my time shitposting instead of exercising correct grammar though so whatever :shrug:
having to change the way you put sentences together instead of adding a comma is stupid

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Smoremaster posted:

it's more about tone than pausing when it's spoken though. just because a comma is written does not mean you necessarily have to pause while speaking it. it's there for clarity since there is no tone of voice in written word.

My first instinct when reading Oxford comma-less lists will always be to read it as

Crystal
Neveah and two hookers

instead of

Crystal
Neveah
and two hookers

Oxford comma is best comma

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
The Walken, comma is, better in, my, opinion.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

No sir, I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
No one cares what an animetard thinks. HTH

• Locked thread