Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
I went to wake my desktop computer up from sleep but the first few attempts the fans spun but then nothing happened. On the third attempt it came on. There may have been a faint smell of burning plastic but not 100% sure as my nose is a bit blocked this morning. When it did come on windows booted just fine but now none of my USB devices work in any of the ports. I've tried unplugging the power for a few minutes but didn't help.

Any suggestions what the culprit might be? I wondered if it was the power supply but like I said windows boots just fine. Thanks for any help.

Edit: I plugged the mouse and keyboard into the USB3 ports on my computer and they're working so it seems like it's just the USB2 ports that are not working.

Jayo fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It's hard to be helpful without your system specs, but I think it's likely to be a motherboard issue. It's possible the USB 2.0 ports could have burned out without affecting USB 3.0.

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007

Alereon posted:

It's hard to be helpful without your system specs, but I think it's likely to be a motherboard issue. It's possible the USB 2.0 ports could have burned out without affecting USB 3.0.

1 320G WD SATA2 HDD WD3200AAKS
1 Powercool 750w 80+ Psu Black
1 MS Win 7 Home Prem 64bit OEM
1 Intel Core i5 2500K
1 MSI P67A-G45 (B3) Rev MoBo
1 4GB 2x2GB CMX4GX3M2B1600C9

Hope that's readable. Can't remember what the graphics card is off top of my head but I can't imagine it makes much difference. Thanks :)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Your power supply is total garbage and places the rest of the system at risk. Replace it immediately. Even if that doesn't fix the problem, there's a good chance it caused the issue in the first place and you've dodged a bullet.

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
Ok thank you for the advice. I'll get that replaced ASAP.

• Locked thread