Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, I've been needing a new truck. I knew I'd want something classy. Something I'd be proud to drive. Something I could cruise up to the lake in with my girl.

Ah, there we go.

So, I suppose with these miles it's kind of like a time machine.

The interior sure brings us back to days gone by.

The seats adjust in interesting ways.

Should I ever ford a river, those intelligent Japanese engineers provided a handy drain right under the driver's feet! How considerate!

The radio might need some updating, though.

And it might need some body work.

Engine bay is pretty clean, though.

But someone did something awful to the battery.

So, this is my new to me 1981 Datsun 720 King Cab Pickup. My Hyundai is getting more and more to where I'm not always sure about taking it to work, and it's a bit snowy down the road to work for my bike, and the channels of mud crossing the road don't make it any nicer for riding. So I picked this up for basically nothing as a backup commuter/firewood hauler/go to the dump truck. The four wheel drive works like a champ, and so does the motor once it gets started. It's not the original motor, I don't believe, since I don't think they started using the twin spark until 83 or 84. Shifting is a matter of guessing where there might be a gear and sort of vaguely waving the shifter in that direction. It also pops out of 5th on the highway.

Items for immediate action:

1. Replace the 8 year old battery with something that might have enough amps to turn the engine over. At the same time, maybe figure something out about that negative terminal.
2. Repair those fine Chrysler seats so that they are actually bolted down to the rusty remains of the floor.
3. Figure out a spare tire as the one under the bed may in fact be from the factory.
4. Probably ought to bolt the roll bar down to more than just the fender wells it's attached to now.

After that we'll see about things like "radios" and "turning the air cleaner plate back the right way around".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Holy poo poo I had no idea Primewell made Raised White Letters.

Definitely fits the truck. Awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress that paint job.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Love the truck.

I would have flipped the air cleaner in front of the PO just to shame them, but that's me.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

This is awesome. Don't ditch the tape deck.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

"turning the air cleaner plate back the right way around".

Why would you want to do that, you'll lose all those extra horses!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

leica posted:

Why would you want to do that, you'll lose all those extra horses!

No poo poo that's what he said, heh.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

So... did this come from Ferntucky, or Gardnerville?

I swear I saw that on CL last year or so and had one hell of a guffaw about that paint awful contact paper. Don't plug the holes in the cab- you'll die of carbon monoxide.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice little hillrod truck. Now you can park with impunity and laugh at those who would ding a new car.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Viggen posted:

So... did this come from Ferntucky, or Gardnerville?

Parked on main street in Yerington.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It's beautiful! Could use a polish though.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Astonishing Wang posted:

It's beautiful! Could use a polish though.

I wouldn't. The paint may be structural at this point :v:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Parked on main street in Yerington.

When did Yerington get automobiles?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, wait. The truck is still badged as a Datsun but has a Nissan engine with Z stamped heads? When did Datsun do the Nissan changeover? Do the heads signify anything other than a dark sense of humor on the PO's part? Does this (awesome) truck have an old Z-car engine in it? What the actual gently caress?

I should have prefaced with the fact that I know poo poo about Datsuns/Nissans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nissan/Datusn changeover was in 1983, IIRC.

Loving this piece of rust, Wiggles. I've got a soft spot for these, my very first car ever was one of them, with that same blue interior and a lovely MAACO baby blue spray job.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, wait. The truck is still badged as a Datsun but has a Nissan engine with Z stamped heads? When did Datsun do the Nissan changeover? Do the heads signify anything other than a dark sense of humor on the PO's part? Does this (awesome) truck have an old Z-car engine in it? What the actual gently caress?

I should have prefaced with the fact that I know poo poo about Datsuns/Nissans.

Yeah, 83 they changed from being Datsun to being Nissan. The truck is an 81, but as far as I can tell the motor is either from a later 720 pickup since the twin spark motor didn't come out until after 83. It's not a Z-car motor because those were all 6s.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, 83 they changed from being Datsun to being Nissan. The truck is an 81, but as far as I can tell the motor is either from a later 720 pickup since the twin spark motor didn't come out until after 83. It's not a Z-car motor because those were all 6s.

Ah, right on. Thanks. Truck is super rad, man. I'm pretty jealous.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

the twin spark motor didn't come out until after 83.

I had what I thought (prior to reading this) was an '82 with Datsun badging and the Z-marked dual plug motor. That thing was unkillable. Got it for $200 off craigslist, cut the sides of the bed off, folded the sharp bits over, tore out the dash except for steering column and gauge cluster, put 33's on it, added a snorkel and a rattlecan color-change paintjob, and then we hooned it all over gods green earth.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I replaced the battery, bolted down the seat, and today drove it to work for the first time. Over flat level ground it was fine, though it doesn't like going much faster than 65 and 60 seems to be its sweet spot. The problem came on the long grade up out of the valley, about 7% for 2 miles. It wouldn't do it in 5th or 4th, and in 3rd it kept bucking and kicking no matter the throttle input, though full throttle was certainly worse. At one point I dropped down to 2nd, and a big cloud of smoke shot out the exhaust and I gained a little speed, but then it started bucking again. Into third, and despite some bucking it made it up the hill.

Sooooo.......I suppose it's time for some carb cleaner down throat, a good oil change, maybe plugs and wires, and maybe time to look closer underneath to see if there's a cat that needs cutting off. I'd like to seafoam it before the oil and plugs, but with as old as it is I'm afraid that might kill every seal it has left. Anyone else have any thoughts as to the condition or solution?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
How old is the fuel filter?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

It might have a coffee can full of cat hair for all I know. I'll add that to the tune up list.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Heh, so it almost didn't make it home. Jumping and bucking even on flat ground, in all gears, though much worse on hills. Never died, and usually when I would clutch in and rev the piss out of it or pull over and rev it in neutral, it would get me another few miles down the road.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I had a similar problem with my Rambler out on a road trip alone and hundreds of miles from home. It turned out the gas tank was flaking rust off which was carried into the fuel filter, clogging it.

I played my best flute solo on that fuel filter every 100 or so miles before I found a walmart and bought a few spares. I made it to Connecticut and back after that with no problem.

What I'm saying is go ahead and put your lips on it. You know you want to.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

cursedshitbox posted:

Yep. Ferd was doing this same sort of poo poo until I replaced the fuel filter. I drove it home doing about 35 on the highway praying to survive the trip. Did the plugs, wires, and ignition coil. Still pretty lovely. Did fuel filter. Now it can be floored all the way up to 3K RPM! Hell, I may be doing 50 uphill but it is kind of picking up speed!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So yeah, it's probably the filter.

Edit: Yep, it was the filter. I managed to find one over at O'Reilly's, replaced it, and along with a little carb cleaner everything is running a lot better. The bigger test will be tomorrow in the cold on the way to work.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 5, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When you seafoam it, put some in the crankcase and run it for about 50-100 miles before you change the oil and it will clear out any sludge. Worked great on my Camry.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

leica posted:

When you seafoam it, put some in the crankcase and run it for about 50-100 miles before you change the oil and it will clear out any sludge. Worked great on my Camry.

Yeah, that's on the list for after I wire in a master power switch. The current battery disconnect system won't last much longer on the roads I drive.

This morning I pulled that grade at 60 in 4th though. :smugdog:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
NICE WRENCH BRO. Should I buy one?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

NICE WRENCH BRO. Should I buy one?

Probably a good idea since you gave yours away. Really it works great I'd say go for it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Weekend update!

I have acquired a spare tire/wheel assembly. The tire is slightly the wrong size, but it's mostly bald anyway, will get me home in a pinch, and was $35 at pick n pull so what are you gonna do? When I get around to buying all new tires, though, I will be able to buy a reliable spare. I, um, go through a lot of tires.

As a very important task, I got rid of the macrame plant holder that was previously securing the battery and installed a proper tie down. Next to it you can also see the actual cut off switch I wired in, rather than the 1980s RV style post disconnect that was on the truck before. This will buy me time until I figure out what's drawing away power when the truck is off.

I also changed the oil for what was probably the first time in years for this truck, and while I was under there I discovered that I will have some future maintenance items.

That's actually some of the better rubber on the front suspension. It's going to need a complete front end rebuild. :gonk:

But most importantly, Sweet Leilani now has a home.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Looks like you should replace that other battery cable while you're at it and donate it to Sperglord.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Maybe later. Right now, the slightest bit of messing with it results in the truck not runningOk. Basically everything in the truck is a hot lead off that post. Custom wiring!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe later. Right now, the slightest bit of messing with it results in the truck not runningOk. Basically everything in the truck is a hot lead off that post. Custom wiring!

Sounds like it's going to cause a problem sooner or later. What I did to solve that problem was stick a junction block on the inner fender and run everything through that (and one wire from it to each battery terminal), but I'm liking Kastein's solution of using brass marine bolt-on terminals and bolting to that, instead of using the clamp bolts like I'm doing. Your setup looks like a mess, though; I'd tackle that as soon as I could afford a day or two of downtime to sort it out. It shouldn't take that long, but if it's your only ride in the winter months then there's that.

Although, having that "creative" battery terminal on there does suit the rest of the truck. So maybe it's best to just leave it until it fails catastrophically, and fix it then. When in Rome...

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Raluek posted:

Although, having that "creative" battery terminal on there does suit the rest of the truck. So maybe it's best to just leave it until it fails catastrophically, and fix it then. When in Rome...

Nevada. Its always Nevada.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE
I had an '82 king cab as my first car. the outside was a bit rusty, but the floor boards were in pristine condition. I miss the hell out of that truck.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
God drat.

Dad had one of those, but is was a Nissan by Nissan with the NAP-Z engine.

Thanks for the bad flashbacks of trying to fit in that sideways jumpseat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You know, my grandad had a 2wd version of one of these that he kept around for dump runs and so forth. In the deep deep desert where I grew up, that back jump seat with no a/c was about the worst place to be when you pulled up to the landfill.

So I have discovered that nobody makes the old "universal" CV boot kits with the split boot, two hose clamps, and a big packet of grease. I was going to use one to patch the busted CV boot on that front halfshaft, since I'm afraid that if I remove the halfshaft to repair the boot properly I'll end up destroying the careful balance of dryrot, dirt, and old oil that's holding the front suspension together.

And the little bodge job that's holding the drivers' seat in place has broken, so I'll have to spend the weekend creating new seat rails so that reaching for the pedals doesn't result in me reclining into the rear window.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So I have discovered that nobody makes the old "universal" CV boot kits with the split boot, two hose clamps, and a big packet of grease. I was going to use one to patch the busted CV boot on that front halfshaft, since I'm afraid that if I remove the halfshaft to repair the boot properly I'll end up destroying the careful balance of dryrot, dirt, and old oil that's holding the front suspension together.

Are you sure? I know for sure NAPA in Canada sells them. I used one on a beater Nissan I owned and it outlasted the other front CV boot.

This one:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-oe-solutions-c.v.-joint-solvent-welded-split-boot-kit-outer-614-632/5830000-P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Awesome, thanks. None of the local parts places sell that or any other split boot still, but Summit had that exact Dorman part. Conveniently, my band practices right next door to Summit in Sparks, so I'll pick it up this week!

• Locked thread