Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
RECRUITMENT CLOSED, PLAYTHREAD HERE.

Countless civilizations have reigned in the past, and when they died, their children built new kingdoms in the bones.

Out of all of them, no corpse has had as many lives as Zieká Shan. The scars of the eons are carved deep in its streets, where the sandstone shops of potters and tanners rub up against the crystalized skulls of strange alien beasts, the fallen swords of titanic gods are well trodden thoroughfares, trans-dimensional demons tend bars frequented by mechanical mercenaries and caravaneers tired from the long journey across the living, iridescent sands of Khromaz, eager to unload their carts of magical artifacts. Below its streets the ruins of the past still sit, filled with dangerous treasures and technology incomprehensible to the city's modern inhabitants, who live in equal parts awe and fear of the ancient wonders that litter their world.

Speaking of those wonders...

One of your employers claps his hands, and on the feet of the metallic clang comes a skull-rattling boom of music once lost to time. The room you sit in—The terribly small storeroom of a cypher shop— is horrendously crowded with an endless selection of old junk, some obviously garbage, others with a strange air about them that you categorize as "world ending." The lights in the room buzz incessantly, and you wonder if chairs could physically get more uncomfortable than this.

"Wonderful, wonderful! Our prospective employees are assembled, Rava!"

"So they are, my dear Bez. Quite a... Colorful bunch, aren't they?"

"A melting pot of daguerreotypes, Rava!"

"I believe you are in error with that noun, Beza. I believe you mean purloiner."

"Or larcenist."

"Little kleptomaniacs, more like."

"Just straight criminals, Reva."

"And what a ripe harvest we have! But enough talk, let's get down to business."

Reva sweeps her hand across the empty air, and from her fingertips trails of light emerge, coalescing into ghostly images suspended on nothing. Each shows strange artifacts, each with a greater purpose lost eons ago.

"Welcome, prospective employees, to Kali'ka Import and Export, the finest purveyors of the mystical, the magical, and above all, the ancient."

"By the way, great song, Reva."

"Thank you, Bez! I do so love this planet's ancient mating music." Reva claps her hands. "So, let's begin!"

You're starting to regret taking this gig.

— — —

General Info

Susitē, hardfeet, and welcome to Making It Big In Zieká Shan, a Numenera-inspired Atomic Robo game! A billion years have left the Earth unrecognizable, molded and formed by both natural change and the incomprehensible technology that has graced the solar system during the gap from now till then. The skeletons of great beasts lay upon the ruins of cities, felled by resurrected gods with swords forged of stars; dormant gates drift in the shadow of Neptune, their destinations locked centuries ago; two moons orbit Earth, and whispered legends tell of kingdoms in Luna's crimson sea; the Cobalt Sphere hidden deep within the living sands holds grand secrets of the Jovian kingdoms, but not even the immortal Qyn dares speak of it. Of course, just as in ages before, people crave to explore these wonders and harvest the old artifacts in them, hoping to unlock the power and knowledge they hold.

That's where you come in. You heard of Reva and Beza's search for artifact hunters, and for whatever reason you accepted. Now the two star-suited beings have you huddled in fold-out chairs, choosing the "best" out of you for the fast-paced, cutthroat life of commission-based, unionless artifact recovery. Whatever your motives may be here in the city, taking this gig is better starting point than many, and it puts you one step closer to making it big.

Setting

The main setting of this game is in and around the city of Zieká Shan, a bustling trade city that has been continuously inhabited by various civilizations for what some believe to be almost a billion years. The ruins of the past litter the city above and below ground, making it the largest market of cyphers and artifacts on the planet.

Otherwise, the setting is freeform. I'm a huge fan of collaborative world building with my players, so I'm opening up the whole game world for us to make up as we go along. For a rough idea of what I was going for when I came up with this setting: Numenera crossed with the technomagimythos apocalypse of RIFTS, the full strangeness of Moebius and Keith Thompson, and an overarching tone somewhere between Cowboy Bebop and Space Dandy. Also my terrible music taste.

Characters

I'm going for about 4-5 players. Refer to the last paragraph for what I'm going for, but basically, if you want to get weird, go for it! Plenty of strange beings have ended up in the city, whether come here with a goal or simply stranded a universe or five from home, there's a full assortment in Zieká Shan. So don't be afraid to play an existential crystal robot, a demonically possessed hacker with more clockwork than organs, or a sword-slinging, plasma-based priestess who prays through combat. Don't let this dissuade you from playing more grounded characters, but keep the range in mind. Also, I'm a very big fan of visual diversity in my games, so please don't be afraid to play what you want!

Signup closes December 28th. I will accept late submissions same day if they get in before I post the final choices.

Also, an IRC room for once! #Zeikashan for questions, live discussion, and terrible music recommendations.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Mentioned in IRC, but I think I've got my concept. Probably some kind of artificial lifeform running on space magic from Luna that was created several million years ago that got recently woken up. Wants to find out what happened to Luna while they were gone and now everything's different there too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm tentatively interested, though I just started a new game and apped to Eldritch Horror so I want to get some free time to myself to see if I can put together a concept I'm satisfied with.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You know I'm in on this! Still a toss-up between ressurected Egyptian princess with sentai gear, or Ganymede merman who totally has royal relatives, seriously.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
If anyone could get you from one city to another, it was him (extra if he'd been outcast by the locals). If you wanted a relic from the old places, he knew where you could buy it, or, if the price was right, he'd fetch you one himself. The waterskin at his side was empty. Water was plentiful in the Waste, and it was one less thing to weigh him down. The real problem was food. Nothing grew in the waste. There were occasional birds and animals crossing the damp sands, but no trees or grasses of any sort.

The Beller knew the Waste well.

quote:

"This way," the Beller said said. He was a thin, dark-skinned human, dwarfed by the size of his companion. He wore the remains of a dark red jacket as a skirt, with tech-baubles and amulets sewn down its length. Lengths of wire and rope were strung across his shoulders. A tongueless bell was hung on his neck.

The Zelbashi hissed. Its feathers rose and rattled as it bared its teeth and let out a flow of sibilant words.

"I've been right this far, haven't I?" said the Beller. "You hired the best. Now stop a moment. There's something ahead." He slipped through a window into an alley, and then disappeared into another window. A few minutes later he returned.

It churred a question.

He shook his head. "Just a couple of felcats. I scared them off. Looks like we're the first ones here."

The Zelbashi gave a low growl of satisfaction. It pushed the human roughly forward.

"Hey, watch it," he said. "We'll get there when we get there. We're not in the city. Haste makes dead out here."

It muttered darkly, but it desisted.

"Now, carefully, follow where I lead," he said, moving softly through the broken doorways of the lost city.

Under streets they descended, through tunnels made of steel and more exotic materials. Some places, the lights still worked. Others, they had to make do with their own. Twice, doors refused to open until the human tore into their guts and convinced them otherwise. Finally, they approached a much larger chamber, where a structure of brass and crystal stood. Bones and tattered cloth were scattered around it.

The Zelbashi cackled, dancing from foot to foot to foot.

"No," the Beller said darkly. "The best part is getting back alive. The best part is always getting back alive. If it isn't, then it was not a very good adventure."

The Zelbashi shoved him aside and pulled a mass of crystal and circuitry from its pouch and held it high over its heads. It glowed red and yellow, and the structure glowed in response. There was a buzzing sound, and the Beller's hair stood on end. He moved back until he was near the entrance.

A form began to appear above the structure. A head, human-like in shape, but blue in color, with eyebrows that turned to flame on the ends. "Who summons me?"

The Valkashi growled and cackled.

"You would command me? Step forward and we shall see if you are worthy." A glowing seven-pointed star appeared on the floor.

The Valkashi stepped forward. Bolts of yellow lighting and tongues of flame licked up its legs. It roared, rattling its feathers at the head.

"No, I think not," the head said sadly. "A pity."

The flames rose higher, and the Valkashi had time for one last scream before it crumbled into ash.

"And you, scion of the Telbann?" the head asked, looking at where the Beller was crouched, hiding. "Would you see if you are worthy to command the fire of a thousand souls?"

"Ah... You know, I don't think so, if it's all the same to you," the Beller said. "But best of luck!" He ran all the way back to the surface, the laughter of the djinn echoing after him.

The Beller
Concept Aspect: Scavenger in the Trackless Spaces

Good (+3) Mode: Rogue of the Wastes
Aspect: "That Handsome Rogue Went That Way!"
Skills: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Rapport, Survival, Will
Skill Point Cost: 9

Fair (+2) Mode: Two-Legged Scavenger
Aspect: "The Green Ones Explode"
Skills: Athletics, Combat, Kludge, Notice, Ruinslore, Stealth
Skill Point Cost: 10

Average (+1) Mode: Intrigue
Aspect: "She'll never miss just one..."
Skills: Athletics, Burglary, Deceive, Notice, Stealth
Skill Point Cost: 8

Omega Aspect: Nothing Can Stop--Ow!

Skills:
+4 Contacts, Deceive, Kludge
+3 Athletics, Empathy, Notice, Rapport, Stealth, Survival, Will
+2 Combat, Ruinslore
+1 Burglary

Stunts
MegaStunt - "I Have No Idea What I'm Doing": You can use kludge on items of power (technological or magical) that are far outside your experience. However, you still don't understand how or why they really work.

"You Should Have Been There": You are a master storyteller, and nearly anyone who listens to one of your tales can’t help but pay rapt attention. When you spend at least a few minutes engaged in a pleasant conversation with someone, place a boost on them for free, such as Lost in the Story.

"No Hard Feelings": Use deceive to attack instead of combat against someone who thinks you are a friend.

"I Know a Guy": When you arrive in a new town, city, port, or other sizable population center, you may roll Contacts against a difficulty of Great (+4). On a tie or better, write down an aspect that represents a friendly contact you have there. On a success, the aspect has one free invocation; on a success with style, two free invocations. You can invoke this aspect to have your friend take one risk on your behalf—fight for you, lie for you, and the like. When you spend a fate point to invoke this aspect, it goes away at the end of the scene, along with your friend.

Leaving No Steps: +2 to defend against attempts to track him.

Stress:
Physical [][][]
Mental [][][][]

Consequences:
Blank

Kludge Skill
(O) Figuring out how to bypass or dismantle a dangerous device.
(A) Figure out an advantage based on surrounding technologies or magics.
(A) Repair a device or else rebuild it into something more relevant.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 23, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I kind of love this, I might make some sort of space druid or something.

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
Definitely posting interest. I have about half a dozen ideas, ranging from alien-hunting shaman, to crystalline fae-dragon monk, to a prodigy of a psychic barbarian tribe, to a thief who would be the Invisible Man if her entire body were just converted to some sort of invisible nano-cloud.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This game's concept looks hecka fun. I'll try to come up with something.

Meanwhile, I think you'll enjoy Kill Six Billion Demons.

cybertier
May 2, 2013
This sounds interesting!

I think i could recycle a character idea for an AR game that probably won't happen anymore.

The character would be some kind of shapeless mass that acts as a living Ark, capable of analyzing DNA (and all the other bits of information you need to recreate a living thing) by touch and assuming shapes of those species itself.

Details when i'm out of office :)

quote:

"Eve"

Eve, as she calls herself on Earth, is an alien lifeform created to cataloge a planets ecosystem, by absorbing the DNA-information of it's inhabitating species.
When her vessel approached Earth it was shot down, by an ancient defense mechanism, which caused her to crash near Zieka Shan. After someone [maybe another PC?] touched her formless body she assumed that persons shape and started to investigate this weird planet. She has no specifig memories about where she came from or why, but she is driven by an intense curiosity to learn everything about this very interesting planet!

Concept Aspect: Stranded One-Person Ark
Your genome is beautiful!

Good (+3) Mode: Shapeshifter
Aspect:
(Nearly) Limitless Shape*
Invoke - Nearly limitless
Compel - Prevent use of skills or stunts because of "weird" forms (Fungii, insects, objects etc) - Have you ever been a kandari giant-slug?! They are gross.

Skills: Athletics, Burglary, Deceive, DNA-Modelling, Notice, Physique, Stealth, Tooth and Claw
Skill Point Cost: 11

DNA-Modelling Skill:
Create an Advantage: Discover something new about someone by touching them and reading their DNA.
Create an Advantage: Alter your shape to gain and edge.
Defend: Counter attemps to create a physical advantage against you. (i.e. Shrinking out of a grapple)

Fair (+2) Mode: Scrapping by
Aspect:
New to Earth

Skills: Athletics, Burglary, Deceive, Notice, Rapport, Stealth

Average (+1) Mode: Action (customized)
Aspect:
"A closed door is an unanswered question!" - She tends to get in trouble through curiosity
Skills: Athletics, Tooth and Claw, Notice, Physique, Provoke,
Skill Point Cost: 6

Omega Aspect:

Skills:
+5: Athletics, Deceive, Notice
+4: Burglary, Physique, Stealth, Tooth and Claw, DNA-Modelling
+3: Rapport
+2:
+1: Provoke

Stunts

Mega Stunt "Shapeshifter!":
Flexible Movement - Flying, shrinking, turning to Goo - Ignore physical obstacles.
Genetic Copy - +2 to Deceive when disguising as someone whose DNA you know.
Natural Weaponry - Weapon: 2 when attacking with natural weaponry
Shrinking - +2 to overcome with Stealth when small size is of advantage
Genetic Repair - Bulletproof but vulnerable to energy (Force Fields, electricity, etc.)
Signature Aspect "(Nearly) Limitless Shape"

Stress:
Physical [][][][]
Mental [][][]

Consequences:

cybertier fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 23, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Okay, let's get one thing straight here. You don't touch me. You lay a finger on me without my permission, and you're dead. My parents are rich, you know! They own, like, 14 per cent of Ganymede. Right through all the layers, straight to the core. They're royalty. If I get hurt, you won't live to tell anyone about it.

What do you mean, "do they know you're here?" Of course they do. It's my pravasako, idiot! I'm supposed to go to somewhere and learn all about it, right? Well, that's what they say, but everyone just goes and gets themselves into trouble the moment they step out of the sleep-pod that got them here. Which, well, why not? That's the whole point! I'm free from responsibilities, I can do what I want! And what I always wanted was to be a burglar, the kind from the ratty old comics and cheap holovids of Dirk the Dangerous and The Fuljihuka Heists. Wear the leather, climb the walls, break into the vault, get away with the priceless artifact. That's incredible. The adrenaline, the fear... hell yes, sign me up.

That's why I took the job. You want a thief? You got one - a devilishly handsome, totally skilled, super cool one. Just... don't tell my parents.

quote:

Xaquari Guillame IV ("Zaq" for short)
Concept Aspect: Runaway Prince of Ganymede

Good (+3) Mode: Delinquent
Aspect: Do It for the Thrill*
Skills: Athletics, Burglary, Deceive, Stealth, Vehicles

Fair (+2) Mode: Ganymedian
Aspect: From a Far Flung Colony
Skills: Athletics, Notice, Psiker, Stealth
Skill Point Cost: 7

Psiker Skill:
Create an Advantage: Read someone's mind to gain new knowledge.
Overcome: Mentally persuade someone into giving something you want.
Attack: Lash out with mental power.
Defend: Prevent mental attack.
Skill Cost: 2

Average (+1) Mode: Royal
Aspect: Rich and Bitchy
Skills: Contacts, Provoke, Rapport
Skill Point Cost: 3

Omega Aspect: Fish Out of Water

Skills:
+5 Athletics, Stealth,
+4 Burglary, Vehicles
+3 Deceive, Notice, Psiker
+2 Contacts, Provoke, Rapport

Stunts
MEGASTUNT - Ganymedian Biology: Armor: 2 against extreme cold. Immune to drowning, but weak to extreme heat. (2 benefits)

MEGASTUNT - Thrillseeker: May spend a Fate point to become Fearproof for the duration of a scene, but at a cost.

Just a Pretty Face: +1 to Create an Advantage or Overcome with Deceive when exploiting your good looks and charm.

Big Name, Big Ego +2 to Overcome with Rapport when you invoke your royal heritage.

Signature Aspect: Do It for the Thrill

Personal Hardware: Mind Twister
+1 to Psiker to Create an Advantage via replacing someone's thoughts, +1 to Stealth to Overcome when blending in with a crowd.
This was the first thing I stole, and when I figured out what it did - it makes people like me, or ignore me, or whatever - I kept it. Can't use it too much, though. Sometimes I start to think I'm someone else...

7 benefits = 2 Fate Points for GM.

Stress:
Physical 1 2
Mental 1 2

Consequences:

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 22, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
This is right up my alley. Busy with holiday stuff but I'll start working on a concept.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
This sounds super-interesting and I've already been hunting art for potential concepts. Have to get home and look at my book!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I think this might be a cool thing, reserving this post.

EDIT

You know the one phase that get's thrown around a lot by some old soldiers? 'I have seen some poo poo you wouldn't believe.' And they have, they certainly have I am sure, one war, maybe two, maybe three or even more if the poor son of a bitch is really unlucky.

But when I say 'I have seen poo poo you wouldn't believe'. Oh brother, the things I have seen, not even the most gullible half mad beggar would believe what I would have to tell even if I offered to pay 'em for it.

The thundering Hooves of ten thousand screaming steppe nomads, descending on an unaware city.
Brutal Sub-Zero city fighting, block by bloody block, casualties in the hundreds of thousands.
Slave raids in the dead of night, a threat that levels the settlement and disappears in the morning.
Magic, honest to god magic, hurled between armies, wiping out scores of men in an instant.
World ending thermonuclear war, and the wars afterwards despite it.

I've seen conflict in almost all it's forms. I've been there, I have seen those things, I have died from those things, many, many times and some deaths were worst then others. And yet I keep coming back, I die screaming as flesh melts off my bones in nuclear fire, and then I wake up the next day somewhere else, with a stranger's face, a different name, a gun or sword in my hand and I start this poo poo all over again. And this is where I am now.

This time my name is Burkhard, I came here to this place for looking for fortune or something else entirely, with nothing in my possession but an antique revolver, the clothes on my back, some small change and a one way ticket to this place, and that's the extent of what I know so far. As far as positions to find yourself in go it's not the best, but I'll fill in the gaps later, for now I will see where this road will take me for the foreseeable future. What's the worst that can happen?

quote:

"Burkhard"
Concept Aspect: Time-Lost War Veteran

If I had to put an actual number on my "lifetimes". I think I lost count a long while ago, it all just blurs together after a while, the faces change maybe but the experiences are all the same. I won't say the experience has made me a better man, but a stronger one? Absolutely.

Good (+3) Mode: Soldier
Aspect: Experience of a Thousand Lifetimes.

I've seen war, skirmish level, citywide level, global level, small scale raids, huge meatgrinder campaigns. I know how to handle myself in most combat situations, I know what I am talking about, and I feel obliged to tell people when their plans will end in failure, insubordination be damned.

Skills: Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Tactics, Vehicles, Will
Skill Point Cost: 11

Tactics - See Page 91
Create Advantage: Use your environment to give you an advantage in physical engagements
Defense: Counter attempts to create an advantage against you that involves maneuvering or positioning.

Fair (+2) Mode: Operator
Aspect: Who Dares, Wins

When you are operating by yourself, a surgical approach is often better then brute forcing the situation. Move quickly, but quietly, hit the enemy where it hurts and vacate before he can retaliate. There is no space for inaction, only action, no matter the situation.

Skills: Athletics, Combat, Tactics, Notice, Stealth, Will

Average (+1) Mode: Professional
Aspect: Be Polite, Be Professional

And have a plan to kill everyone you meet. Sometimes all it takes is a word to defuse a tense situation, or lure someone into a false sense of security before you take him out. It helps to be quick on your feet when it comes to this kind of stuff, and I would say 9 times out of... 12 that decision has been the right one.

Skills: Notice, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will

Omega Aspect: Missing the Crucial Pieces.

I'm no clairvoyent, but I've been around enough to know a desperate man when I see one. No one buys a one way ticket out to a shithole like this with almost nothing in his possession, just to take one of the most dangerous jobs in the entire galaxy because his current prospects were good. I have a feeling in my gut that if I don't find out what this man's past is soon, it is going to catch up to me when I least expect it. Then again, I could encounter friends I never knew I had.

Skills:
+5 : Notice, Will
+4 : Athletics, Combat, Tactics
+3 : Physique, Vehicles
+2 : Stealth
+1 : Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Deceive

Stunts

Personal Hardware: 'Momento': Weapon: 4
An old tech plasma revolver, clunky and heavy, but reliably built and capable of fragging a man from 50 paces. I am almost curious as to how this low life could even find one of these things, let alone acquire it.

Signature Aspect: Who Dares, Wins
What can I say? It's a good motto, 'Qui audet adipiscitur'

Escalate Immediately to Gun Violence: +2 to combat when a conflict turns violent.
It doesn't matter how you start a fight, only how you finish it. And I prefer to finish it before the other bastard sees it coming."

"I Have a Vague Idea": +1 to Will or Vehicles when overcoming an obstacle involving technology seen/used for the first time.
I am no engineer or scientist by trade, but I would like to think since I have seen a lot of tech in past lives I can make a rough estimate equivocation on how technological stuff works once I get my hands on it. Kind of sort of, don't hold me up on this

Coordinated Assault: When you create an advantage against an opponent with Tactics, Allies gain +1 to attacks against him while the Aspect lasts, and each successful attack reduces the Success With Style threshold of future attacks in the round by 1. (Credit to TransientPeople)
'If your enemy is equal, prepare for him. If greater, elude him. If weaker, crush him.' Now I can't remember where I read that from, but it's pretty good advice to go by.

Stress:
Physical [][][][]
Mental [][][]

Consequences:
Blank

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 29, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

There is a saying "words have power". In normal circumstances, it means that if something sufficiently well-written, can cause great change to the world. There is a book called The Jungle, which was about the unethical treatment of workers in the meat-packing industry. When people read it, it lead to great changes in the industry, though they were more about making sure the meat was safe to eat, rather than making sure the workers were safe to pack meat. There is another book called The New Testament, which was about the life about a very pleasant and allegedly godlike man named Joshua who performed miracles so he could convince people to treat one another with decency, and got nailed to a tree for it. When people read it, they created a religion called Christianity that has caused much pain and suffering for countless decent people all over the world. There is yet another book called The Communist Manifesto, which was about an idea for an ideal government run by the people, for the people. This led to a violent revolution in eastern Europe that led to the establishment of the Soviet Union, which seemed wonderful at first, but as corrupt individuals seized power of it, it steadily worsened.

And then there is another book, different from all the others. This one is called The Commonplace Book of Webster Wazinsky. If you were to read it, you would learn about all sorts of things about secret organizations fighting for numerous reasons, some trying to make the world a better place, others trying to make it worse, and others that simply want to be mysterious and strange. You would learn about a man who was found guilty for crimes he did not commit, and lost many loved ones in his attempts to keep himself alive. You would find out how to make pasta puttanesca, oeufs en meurette, okonomiyaki, and numerous other other delicious foods. And you would find a portion dedicated to magical incantations, and these words have power of a very different sort. Spells that can help one survive deadly encounters, like if some individuals were coming to the hotel you were spending the night in so they could pose as room service, allow themselves into your room, and murder you by forcing you to consume poisonous cleaning spray, or survive long-term dangers, like if you were to spend six months in a pocket dimension where many things wanted to kill you, even more so than the people you had escaped from by sending yourself there.

All of this information is incredibly valuable to The Libraries of the Universe, an organization dedicated to collecting all knowledge, with numerous hidden facilities all over the known universe. Many have become members of it's staff or have become regular patrons, if they have been deemed worthy of this gathering of knowledge. But because words have power, there are always people who want to either abuse knowledge, or destroy it entirely.

I am a Librarian, and it is my job to collect once-forgotten knowledge and bring it to my local library. It is my hope that by working with these strange individuals, I will find information that will be even more valuable than what I have gathered in my commonplace book. Honestly, I would much rather be working in one of the facilities at one of the kitchens, or archiving newly-found knowledge, or even scrubbing toilets. But seeing as how my superiors think I would be more useful as a gatherer, I don't have much of a choice in the matter.

quote:

Webster Wazinsky
Concept Aspect: Mysterious Researcher

Good Mode: Librarian Training
Skills: Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Notice, Rapport, Stealth, Vehicles
Skill Point Cost: 15

Fair Mode: Well-Read
Skills: Survival, Cooking, Knowledge of forgotten Literature, Notice, Empathy, Things man was not meant to know

Average Mode: Magical Studies (Science)
Skills: Notice, Will, Science: Magic, Science: Arcane Rituals, Things man was not meant to know
Skill Point Cost: 3

Omega Aspect: The Pursuit of Knowledge

Skills:
5: Notice
4: Empathy
3: Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Rapport, Stealth, Vehicles, Things man was not meant to know
2: Survival, Cooking, Knowledge of Forgotten Literature
1: Science: Magic, Science: Arcane Rituals

Stunts:
Commonplace Book: +1 to knowledge checks.
Revolver: +1 to ranged combat.
Mega-Stunt: Get Scared Later In a dangerous situation, can spend a fate point to gain +1 to Combat, Will, Physique, and Provoke, and automatically overcome any form of intimidation. However, once in a position of safety, will spend double the time spent in the dangerous situation as a cowering mess, automatically failing when trying to perform or overcome anything requiring bravery.

Weird Skills:
Survival: Knowledge of how to live in the wilderness, Able to spend lengths of time in inhospitable environments, Can create traps, Can create primitive tools using junk found in the wild. Skill point cost: 3
Cooking: Knowledge of cooking, can make delicious meals with whatever is available, can slip drugs, poisons, and small objects into dishes that cannot be noticed by a casual observer/eater. Skill point cost: 2
Knowledge of Forgotten Literature: Can recall poems, books, and assorted writings from memory, Can impress people by quoting these, can search for useful/hidden information in documents. Skill point cost: 2
Things man was not meant to know: Knowledge of horrifying, forbidden things, can terrify foes by telling them about these things, can summon eldritch monstrosities. Skill point cost: 3

Please let me know if any tweaks are needed.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 23, 2014

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mr Tastee posted:

Please let me know if any tweaks are needed.

Things man was not meant to know should be +3. It's in both your +2 and +1 modes, so it gets reinforced to +3.

Also, stealing your Survival skill.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Thanks. Also, completely forgot to put in the point costs for my weird skills!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm. I'd say you're overvaluing some of those. The only one that really looks like it'd be a +3 is Things Man Was Not Meant to Know. The others are all +1 or +2 at best.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Oh right, I forgot that you're not supposed to count the knowledge-based functions.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Yeah, I'm down with this. Character after Christmas.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

She's done!

The young woman kicked back on the bar stool, grinning ear to ear. She crossed her legs in a manly fashion and picked up the fruity iced drink that she'd gotten on the house- as always. Took a sip, sighed contentedly, and set it back down, licking the sugar from the rim off of one finger. "Alright, guv. Let's talk business. You might have heard the rumors about Odin T'hellion's little girl going straight. Well, it's all true. I'm a respectable citizen now, finally out from under me old Da's iron-clad magnetic boots. You can call me an entrepreneur if you want to give me a title, but long and short of it is that I can fly most anything, most anyplace, I know eighteen of the most common trader tongues without a translator, and I can understand six that humans can't physically reproduce. I'm a mapper, a scrapper, and a capper- if need be- though that costs a mite extra. I don't hunt bounties, I don't murder for hire, and I don't traffic in flesh. Otherwise if you need it pinched, shipped, or protected, I don't got a problem with it."

She cracked her knuckles and leaned forward. "I'm not cheap, mate, but you get what you pay for, right? Or we can work out commission, if that's your fancy. Long as I get my pick of what you ain't after, and the trip's worth a good story. I love stories, especially ones that don't end with 'and then the pirate princess had to hunt down the lousy bastard who tried to jip her and take her due out of his pretty little hide.' Nobody likes that story. Especially not me."

"Nice city, isn't it? Sure beats the drat mining colony Da was dismantling last I saw him." she said, after finishing her drink. "Glad we could come to terms. I'll contact you with details for the drop once I have it in hand. You're not asking for a run to the corner store, guv, have a little patience and it'll all be clean and no one the wiser. Or I can smash and grab and make it louder than thunder on the beaches if that's your preference." she laughed and dropped the reflective goggles down over her eyes. "That's why they call me the Valkyrie, you know."

quote:

Name: Nav T'hellion, AKA "The Valkyrie"
Concept: "Ex-Pirate Princess"

Raised by Odin T'Hellion, the infamous pirate king, Nav's struck out on her own- without her father's permission. She's well known to law enforcement and the black market communities, and knows how to leverage her name.

Good Mode: Pirate
Aspect: "The Pirate Code"
Skills: Burglary, Combat, Contacts, Deceive, Provoke, Rapport, Vehicles (10pt)

Nav wasn't naive about her father's line of work, and helped him pull off many of his most infamous acts of piracy, but every pirate has their code, and she's no different. There is still honor, even among thieves.

Fair Mode: Ace Pilot
Aspect: "That's why they call me the Valkyrie!"
Skills: Athletics, Combat, Notice, Vehicles, Will (8pt)

Nav got her code-name by being absolutely reckless and always getting away with it, though her wingmen often didn't. She'd extremely proud of the moniker and will often try to one-up previous stunts to prove she can.

Average Mode: Fence
Aspect: "What's it worth to ya?"
Skills: Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Provoke, Rapport, Stealth(9pt)

Everything is worth something to someone, and finding out what makes people tick, what they really want and what they're willing to pay for it is one of the things Nav enjoys most in life. She's not in it for the money, she just wants to see how far she can push.

Omega Aspect: "Friends In Low Places"

Think I'll slip on down to the oasis... Ahem. She knows she can't trust them, but that's OK. Sometimes you need a drinking pal, a pocketwatch un-pinched, or a file in your birthday cake. That's what they're there for.

Improvements: (3pt)
Specialize Burglary (2pt)
Focus Athletics (1pt)

Skill Tree:
+5 Burglary
+4 Combat, Contacts, Deceive, Vehicles, Rapport, Provoke
+3 Notice, Athletics
+2 Will
+1 Stealth

Stunts: (+2 to GM, can cut this to +1 if necessary.)

Hardware: The Goggles!- +1 to Notice rolls when using your goggles in an obvious manner, such as binoculars or magnifiers. Your goggles detect biometrics (heartbeat and heat data.) You can use this to Defend against Deception (I can tell you're lying!) as in Empathy.

"They do... a lot! If you're wearing them."

Hardware: Mistilteinn- Weapon: 2, +1 to Combat if you can lie prone while firing.

"I took this rifle as a trophy from Rattlebeard, one of the most notorious re-animated corpses in the southern skies. He'd want it back... but it's hard to break out of a carbon-sealed casket at the bottom of the ocean."

Counter-Argument- +2 to overcome with either Rapport or Provoke, after someone has used that skill against you or your friends in a scene.

"No YOUR mama!"

Inventing History- +2 to overcome with Deceive when deliberately leaving out or misremembering important facts.

"But officer, I'm allergic to shellfish *cough**cough* so I couldn't have been anywhere near the docks during the Lobster Festival! You must have seen someone else..."

Megastunt: The Freyja- (3 Benefits)
Function: A Freaking Sweet Hoverbike
Flaw: Everyone Hears You Coming

Everything Is A Ramp: +2 to overcome with Vehicles if you can catch air during the action.
Zieka-Shan Drifter: +1 to Create an Advantage and Defend with Vehicles when driving at reckless speeds.
Only The Best For My Little Girl: Armor 2

"Don't. Touch. The Bike."

mistaya fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 27, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Diamond

"Remember when you were young?"

"I remember. There was a spire in the desert, and spirals within spirals, sand-blasted walls trapped in the eye of a hurricane and the rush of a gale. And it was a long way down, and I took it and a dune broke my fall. There was a steel horse there that took me away. We didn't say goodbye to the Spiral Spire, because we'd be back some day. Mother was crying and I missed her but it was all right, because one day she'd be happy again and she wouldn't have to work so much for us both. She cried and we cried and we left a trail of tears for her to follow. There were sands and deserts and so many days, but then there was a night and a star on the moon fell to Earth. It left a silver trail behind and the horse stepped on it and we were on the moon, so far away. You could see Earth from there. It was so bright it was hard to look at it, but it was pretty, like a rainbow made of gems. So many colours...and they started to fade away. Something ate them. I think it was the wind. So cold, so cold..."

"...Nothing left. There's nothing left. Just a cold grey breeze that got swept from one place to the next. They all got slower. Colder. Dead. I'm not lying. Promise? Please don't go. I need to tell. I need to tell! GO TO HELL!"

---

"I remember. There was a killer breeze and a moon, and then I fell to earth. I never hit the ground but I saw flashes, faces, friends, and they were blurry and very far away. And I woke up and I knew I needed to find them. We....we...I wanted it to change. So I left. I told Mother goodbye and not to worry and she cried anyways, but she knew I needed to go when I explained. She had empty eyes and a warm hug and she said I should come back some day. I promised. I will. Some day."

"I didn't fall down from the spire. I knew what I needed to do now. I could...I could see it. I just had to concentrate...and I walked down through the storm, and away. I went a different way. I saw my friends were not at the steel horse's place. They weren't there. They won't be anywhere until I find them. They can make it change. I just need to pull them together. The visions can help. I know where to go, I can be strong and take care of myself. I just need to listen...and find the starmen. There's no need to be awake."

---

"I don't remember. I want to go home. I'm tired of meeting monsters in human flesh. I don't want to close my eyes and sleep anymore. Every time I wake up, everything's changed. I'm scared. But I can't go back. I can't go anywhere. The visions won't stop coming and they won't let me rest. The starmen...I need to find the starmen. They can bring me to my friends. Maybe when I see them I can get...some...rest..."

Drifting Away posted:

The marketplace was crowded, and the people moved back and forth, listening to old and young merchants hawk their wares, like a human tide. A young woman was carried by it, unnoticed by the people all around her. She didn't try to get ahead. When they moved forward, she moved with them. When they moved backwards, she too took a step back. In the tiny spaces between each of them, she slipped through quietly, having no contact with them. She couldn't really see them. She didn't need to. In her eyes it was all a haze, except for the path leading forward like a shining beacon.

A fistfight between two rival merchants erupted, stopping the crowd's snail pace and dragging others into the sudden disturbance. One of them launched a haymaker, and she ran past them through the space the punch had made when it sent the other man flying away. He hit the wall hard, and unbalanced a stack of nearby boxes. Teetering dangerously, the tower came tumbling down, right on her head. She didn't flinch. Looking up, her eyes glowed, and the boxed square watermelons fell to the ground like soft feathers.

Groaning, the fallen merchant stood up. She turned to go, but caught a glimpse of him through the haze, and saw...saw...

She touched his arm, stopping him from jumping back to the fray. "Don't do it. Your new baby will need its father. She'll tell you about it tonight." She said, plainly, and left. He kept staring in her direction long after she'd disappeared into the belly of a nearby cypher shop, and the worst of the fighting missed him. Unlike her, he could not see her search for the starmen come to an end.

"I'm a Diamond. I've been waiting for a long time. It's my time to shine..."

Concept: Seer of the Apocalypse
Psychic: "...To Shine Like The Sun"
Nomad: Flow With The Steel Breeze
Beacon: "Remember When You Were Young?"
Omega: Us And Them

Modes

Good (+3) Mode: Psychic
Telekinesis, Contacts, Rapport, Empathy, Deceive, Will
Aspect: "...To Shine Like The Sun"
Invoke: Diamond is a psychic dynamo. Her mind's a powerful muscle, and only grows greater when she lets her emotions run hot.
Compel: Diamond is still young and inexperienced. When forced to perform more than small, controlled tasks, her powers can have unintended side-effects, especially when upset or rattled. She is also rather obvious about it, not yet having learned how to suppress the constant psychic phenomena she emits.

Fair (+2) Mode: Nomad
Notice, Stealth, Will, Rapport
Aspect: Flow With The Steel Breeze
Invoke: The future always takes the path of least resistance. When following this path, Diamond is in harmony with the world, using her gift to be exactly where she must be.
Compel: The feeling of harmony and oneness with the world is intoxicating and comfortable, particularly for someone so far from home. It is not always easy to break from it to make sure the future is changed.

Average (+1) Mode: Beacon
Rapport, Contacts, Will, Empathy
Aspect: "Remember When You Were Young?"
Invoke: People are full of potential and possibility, but most don't use any of it at all, content to live the lives ordained for them. Those who make their own futures are rare and prized treasures. Diamond knows how to find them, how to reach them, and most of all, how to make them awaken to their potential and keep them that way.
Compel: The very same insights and intuitions that make Diamond so suited for those tasks also make her seem detached, eerie and frightening. Even those she chooses to care for can never be sure about what kind of game she plays, and her antics draw attention to her in a big way.

Improvements:
Specialized: Telekinesis (3 points), Empathy (2 points), Rapport (0 points), Will (0 points)
Trained: Notice (1 point), Stealth (1 point), Contacts (0 points)

Leftover: 1 Point

Skill Tree
Superb (+5): Telekinesis, Empathy, Rapport, Will
Great (+4): Contacts
Good (+3): Deceive, Stealth, Notice
Fair (+2):
Average (+1):

Weird Skills posted:

Telekinesis
You do not need to touch matter to affect it, instead directly interacting with its molecules. By concentrating your willpower, physical forces are yours to command. Your power has strange tells, both in the form of obvious alterations when you unleash it and the constant production of minor psychic phenomena.

Overcome: Move your body with your mind, without straining your muscles. You can even fly!

Overcome: Like Physique, but using your mind instead of your muscles.

Create Advantage: Also like Physique, but once again through telekinetic prowess.

Attack: You can destroy things, either by unraveling the bonds holding them together or simply by slamming them against the walls.

Defend: Give your body a hand with resisting harmful substances and effects, purging them from your system or keeping them contained. Try not to lose concentration, though.

Point Cost: 3.

Stunts

Seer of Visions: When you stare at a person or place intently, you can see into their future, receiving a truthful vision of things to come. You are automatically compelled to either prevent the vision or help it come to pass. By spending a Fate Point, you can dictate the contents of the vision yourself, subject to GM approval.

Facets of the Diamond: Your 'friends' are very dear to you. Just as they can change the world, so do they change you. Once per Milestone, you may choose to mark one important NPC or player character as a 'friend' and alter one of your Aspects to indicate a connection to them. (2 Benefits)
-Random Precision: When you attempt to use a psychic power in the same zone as a friend, double the value of each plus or minus symbol.
-More Than Alive: When you invoke your connected Aspect while in the same zone as your friend, you gain an extra boost representing your bond which you may immediately invoke.

The Wall: Bulletproof, but weak to heat.

The Sum of Our Parts: When an ally invokes multiple Aspects to boost one roll (through free or paid invokes), you may forfeit your turn and spend a Fate Point to tell them what they need to hear, increasing the bonus gained from each Aspect by 1.

Louder Than Words: When you roll Empathy to uncover a character's Aspects, you take virtually no time and do not need to speak with them, but the intensity of your staring always attracts their attention.

Total Benefits: 6 (+1 to GM pool)

Stress Tracks

Physical: OO
Mental: OOOOO

Omega Aspect: Us And Them
Invoke: Diamond doesn't have a home in Zieka Shan, seeing little worth in material possessions. Instead, she rooms in the communal rooms of the Church of Ten Landings, owned by the cult of the Messengers of the Tenth World. Spending so much time in close proximity with people who hold a diametrically opposite view to hers has taught her a measure of empathy and understanding for others in the world, as well as the value of compromise.
Compel: Sometimes conflict is unavoidable, however, and values must be upheld. And sometimes, the people closest to you may be the most dangerous...

The Messengers of the Tenth World
The End For One And All, Deep-Rooted Radicals, Search For The Source

Not everybody is content with the state of things in the Ninth World, as there is as much injustice and sorrow as there are wonders and mysteries. Some seek to change this through main force, rebelling and rioting. Others try to mold the world to their liking with works and words. And some, like the Messengers, simply wait for the change that is to come. One could say they are a doomsday cult, but that wouldn't be quite right. The Messengers believe that the changes in the world are cyclical in nature: When it has reached a state of bloated decay, a cataclysm occurs and wipes out all life, forcing it to start again, slowly bringing the inhabitants of past worlds back into it under a new form. This, they reason, explains the current state of the world: a new cataclysm is coming, and with it a new beginning for all. While an increasingly large group has interpreted the Messengers' doctrine as an encouragement to bring forth the apocalypse, the majority of the congregation is content to wait for the cataclysm to arrive. As only those who are still alive at the time of the cataclysm will be brought back, the Messengers practice frequent charity, and boast many cooks, doctors and counselors of all sorts among their ranks. The one core, universal tenet amongst them is the search for the New Origin, which demands that all members of the congregation remain constantly alert for potential sources of the coming cataclysm, and bring them to the Church of Ten Landings upon discovering them.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 29, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Varakyn Phokaina

Mars. World of legend. Of dusty satrapies, ruled by ancient nobles descended from the near-mythical Colonists, all under the dominion of the Empress Eternal. Of ancient and fearsome monsters. Of the Weirding Way and the Uncounted Covens that master it. Of knights in shining armor. Of paladins who wield mind and blade together. My home.

Or it was, once. I was born in the ancient city of Urros, at the foot of the Starry Stair, in the shadow of the Silver Strand. My family were simple tradesfolk, programmer-mediums of humble teknologies. I do not remember them well, for as a child I was tested by the Covens and found to possess the gift. I was taken away and trained to master my abilities, an initiate of the Twice Broken Circle, most ancient of the War Covens. I excelled in my studies, and was accepted into the Iron Citadel. There I was squire to Selene Angelina, and it was she who seconded me when I took my oath of service before the Red Throne.

It was the proudest day of my life. But my pride soon turned sour, for the Court was rife with corruption and deceit. Though I strove to keep to my oaths, I was caught up with intrigues and factions. As a kataphraktos I quested, slaying foul beasts and rogue automatons, retrieving lost relics, and defeating those who opposed the Empress. I rose in her favor quickly, and for a time the jealousy of my rivals did not matter. But a simple mistake gave them the opening to cut me down. The Empress had mercy. I was not executed for my transgression. Instead, I was banished, sent up the Silver Strand and out into the dark until I proved myself worthy to return. So traveled to this hot, wet world. If any place had true foes to best and ancient artifacts to uncover, it would be the homeworld.

Here I have found the true calling of a knight. True adventure and danger around every corner. Boon companions, and a chance to make a mark that is not just another stale ballad, the like of which has been heard a thousand thousand times in the unchanging realms of the Eternal Empress. This is an old world, but it remakes itself again and again. My home is the younger, but in its stagnation is the one that seems decrepit.

Someday, I shall return to my red world. And then I shall remind my people of what they have forgotten.

But not yet. There are still horizons to seek and dragons to slay, and glory to be won.

Concept: Exiled Knight-Errant of Mars

quote:

"Is there none among the warriors of my Red horde,
Who would ascend the Silver Strand and face the Black Knight's sword?"
"There is one who dares the Starry Stair, my lord.
The paladin whose blade is forged from her thought and word."
-- The Lay of Deimos, Author Unknown

Good Mode: Kataphraktos
Aspect: Honor and Glory
Skills: Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Notice, Psychoknesis, Vehicles, Will (10pts)

quote:

"The kataphraktos are rightfully called the Empress Eternal's champions. The Iron Citadel accepts only the best initiates of the War Covens into its fabled halls. There they alloy their weirding powers with martial skill. They emerge as masters of the shimmering blade and the unseen shield, the most fearsome warriors in the Red Throne's service."
-- On Military Service, First Imperial Chronicler Nyane Komnene

Fair Mode: Witch-at-Arms
Aspect: Twice Broken Circle Initiate
Skills: Hallucinations, Psychokinesis, Will (5pts)

quote:

"The War Covens scour all three-hundred thirty-three satrapies for those with the gift, but none is as diligent, nor as exacting, as the Twice Broken Circle. "
-- The Weirding Way, First Imperial Chronicler Nyane Komnene

Average Mode: Banter
Aspect: Courtly Manners
Skills: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will(9pts)

quote:

"I keep hearing that the Court of the Red Throne is a crystal viper nest. That's unfair. The snake pit would be a safer place to dally. There, at least, it is merely your life on the line."
-- Personal Diary of First Imperial Chronicler Nyane Komnene

Omega Aspect: Geas Quest

quote:

"Varakyn Phokaina, Initiate of the Twice Broken Circle, Imperial Kataphraktos of the Iron Citadel, is by Our Will this day charged and bound to service beyond the Red Planet. By Our Law she is banned from Our domains until she has acquired an Artifact of Holy Teknology, or until she has defeated a Worthy Foe, human or otherwise, in honorable combat. By such deeds shall her indiscretion be forgiven by Us."
-- Quest Warrant, By the Hand of the Empress Eternal

Improvements: (6pts)
Specialize Psychokinesis (2pts)
Focus Empathy (1pt)
Focus Hallucinations (1pt)
Focus Rapport (1pt)
Focus Vehicles (1pt)

Skill Tree:
+5: Psychokinesis, Will
+4: Contacts, Vehicles
+3: Athletics, Combat, Hallucinations, Notice
+2: Empathy, Rapport
+1: Deceive, Provoke

Stunts:

Autohypnosis: Once per scene, you can check a mental stress box to absorb physical harm. If you do, you get a free boost.

Epiphany Catalyst: During a brainstorm, when you or anyone working together with you to form a hypothesis invokes an aspect created by someone else who is working with you, they get a +3 instead of the usual +2.

Hardware - Iron Citadel Armor: Armor:2.

Open the Third Eye: Use Will to create an advantage through meditation or focus when you have a moment to breathe and concentrate. Additionally, you can pick another character (PC or NPC) who’s in the scene with you. You can use one of their skills for one roll in this scene, whether it’s a skill you already have or not. When you do this, pay that character a fate point. (2 benefits)

Shimmering Blade, Unseen Shield: Spend a fate point to create the aspect Mindblade on yourself for the scene. While this aspect is in place, Weapon:2 and +1 to melee attacks with psychokinesis. Use psychokinesis to defend against physical attacks. (2 benefits)

(Total benefits: 7 - 5 = 2 fate points to the GM’s reserve.)

Stress
Physical OOOO
Mental OOO

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 30, 2014

cybertier
May 2, 2013
Hey Saberwulf, didn't you want to post some feedback by christmas? :D

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

cybertier posted:

Hey Saberwulf, didn't you want to post some feedback by christmas? :D

I did! Sorry about that, Solstice and Christmas celebrations had me away from the computer.

I'll start with Eve. I can't tell what's part of the megastunt and what isn't in your stunts section. Even then, I feel like they could be chopped down and re-worded to look less technical and fit the way you have DNA-Modelling written. Something like "Shapeshifter!: When you make physical contact with a creature for at least a full minute, you store its genetic features and can mutate to gain an advantage when appropriate."

I'm just spitballing it there but you can probably get my gist.

Otherwise the only thing I need to comment on is Diamond. Please, no kids. Lowest allowed age is 16. Also I'm a little bit hesitant about the future vision, but I want to see it in play since it could be interesting.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Are brainstorms and/or inventing going to come up regularly in this game?

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.

Dyega Gretchen, Witch of Crowleshir

Even in an age of wonders, of divine detritus and mythoscientific symbiosis, there is heresy, paranoia, and burning stakes.

Such things have brought forth the forbidden forests and marshes of Crowleshir. Infamous for its mutant fauna and its storied history of mad scientists and cloaked cultists, deep by the guarded shores rests the Coven of Mother Birdha. Within and around the esoterically enchanted leftovers of academic halls and eternally-shining laboratories lives a patchwork coven of heresiarchs, witches, exiles, and victims of magopolitical backstabbing.

From this patchwork was born an impetuous brat named Dyega Gretchen. She was among the most clever of the girls who grew up in this heady mixture of forbidden arts, but she often used it for greedy ends. She was stubborn, violent, crass, and often extended her reach far past her grasp. She frustrated everyone around her, and several times it was contemplated that she just be left out in the woods somewhere to be some beast's lunch. Yet in spite of this, Mother Birdha saw something in her, something she adored. So Dyega continued, her lust for power stoked with age. She went into the spirit world as an animist, and came back with spirits on leashes and hides over her shoulder. She was given a gun and told how to hunt, and she went into the darkest of woods and slew the greatest and oldest and meanest of beasts and served them on a spit. Dyega grew bold and cocky, and Birdha became proud.

Then one day, Dyega simply became bored. The more she stuck around, the more bored she was, the more frustrated she was, the more obnoxious she became to those around her. For the last time, the coven went to Birdha and pleaded with her to toss Dyega out, for after all her heretical ways were too destructive and too gluttonous, and would eventually raze the community and the world to the ground. Birdha simply smiled and said, "look upon her, my children, for you will not get a chance to see her Art again; behold the practitioner of the Art of Want."

Dyega slipped away from her hiding place and smiled. The next day, Dyega picked up her rifle and her fetishes and her hides and went on a hunting trip, never to return. Never to return until the day she would truly become Master, truly be strong enough to prove them all wrong.

Concept: Wicked Witch of the West

Dyega was raised among a plethora of arcane and scientific traditions, and has had a keen mind for all of them. However, her surly attitude is matched only by the infamy of her background, for the Witches of Crowleshir are feared by many as man-eating hags and demon-worshipers. Still, fear is useful when you need to press someone into paying you what you're owed, or just plain getting off of your back.

Good: Animist
Aspect: Spirit Dickery
Skills: Notice, Will, Tech (Science), Athletics, Combat (7)
----

There are spirits in most everything around us, the mythical and symbolic essence of all of life. It fuels everything, unites the abstract and the concrete, sprouts in infinite forms, and gives balance to all things. Needless to say, when Dyega got involved, she pretty much flipped the table on all that tree-hugging nonsense from day one.

Though it would be wrong to say she has no respect for the spirit world, Dyega is definitely a much colder inhabitant and citizen of such an environment; more scientific detachment than reverence. Though her bending of the rules of the spirit realm have given rise to marvels, and her often symbiotic interactions with such beings beautiful, there are times when she takes things a bit further than some forces would like. Some would say her magic is abusive to the natural world, while some spirits of discord and balance would likely like to have a word with her about her misconduct. Not that it matters to her in the slightest; after all, she still keeps that hollowed out chrysalipede as a pipe.

Fair: Foul Mouth
Aspect: Tongue of Nine Tails*
Skills: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will (9)
----

"You duplicitous lard tongued tick flicker! I knew you'd be here picking your slimy little face pit, you lying sack of swine. Oh, what's the matter? Thought your pets out back got fed enough from lapping up your greasy scalp? Forgot to give the local poo poo-stompers a wee pat on the head to change your diaper this morning? Yer drat right I'm mad you sent me to die in a bloody ambush by some bloody hacks with boomsticks, you knuckle picking slug-arsed vulture-monger. Now, I'm only going to say this once before I start teaching you the meaning of pain, where the Hells is my drat money?"

Average: Hunter
Aspect: You Ain't So Big
Skills: Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles (9)
----

Dyega doesn't have much use for the concept of lacking self-confidence. She's lived in what may be one of the most hostile regions to grow up in, and has come up with the hides of beasts that would make experienced sporting hunters cry for their mothers stuck between her teeth. This has given her a sense that she can take on just about anything, whether that's actually true or just a gross miscalculation on her end. Sometimes she realizes her mistakes and merely slinks away, spitting and swearing revenge. Those are not most of the times. It doesn't help that most of those times, she keeps on winning, some times in spite of literally everything.

Omega: Acolyte of Want

Ever since she was a little girl, Dyega had never stopped desiring things. She felt she was the best, the absolute best, destined to be better than everyone else. As she understood more of the world, her sense of desire and ambition grew with it. Soon she fancied herself on the way to enlightenment, on the way to power unimagined. All of the others who pretended to be better than her were pompous fools anyways, as far as she was concerned. After all, she came from the result of people throwing away the truth, throwing away greatness, throwing away ambition because they couldn't handle it. But she could handle it. She was born to handle it. Everything she had done in her entire life was to pursue power, and through power, her true destiny. She was ready for enlightenment. She was always ready.

Skills:
From start: = 25
Specialize trained (Animism (Tech)): 3
Specialize focused (Provoke): 2
Total = 30

+5 Animism (Tech)
+4 Notice, Will, Athletics, Combat, Provoke
+3 Tech
+2 Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Rapport
+1 Physique, Vehicles

Stunts:

Path of the World Eater: Once per encounter, gain a boost when she consumes the flesh or blood of her enemies. Fearproof, but a cost. (2)

I Ain't That Heartless: +1 to Empathy and Rapport when dealing with marginalized or persecuted individuals.

Sailor's Blight: Signature Aspect: Tongue of Nine Tails*.

Breaking Rules of Nature: Once per encounter, any -'s in a roll may be turned into +'s. Once per encounter, spend an FP to turn a stress point into a boost. (2)

All Parts Are Edible: When crafting Inventions with spirits or creature parts, the resulting invention gains an extra stunt benefit that does not count to either the difficulty roll or the catches.

Stunt Benefits: 7/5
----

Kitty Carmen, Violana Du'Kannois

No one quite has a grip on who the mysterious thief who calls herself Kitty Carmen truly is, or was. As far as most of the world was concerned, she just showed up out of thin air, pulling daring heists that no mortal man could possibly even try to attempt. The most credible source to date places her somewhere in the noble houses of San Clarity, in the spires of the wealthy and the beautiful. According to this source, she used to be the daughter of an Old Money Guildmaster's House. She was a fairly precocious girl, up to about as much mischief as a noble daughter can reasonably muster up. The noble house in particular had a tendency of precocious behavior, with her brothers often going off on various "archaeological expeditions" which often resulted in them dying horribly and stupidly.

However, interestingly enough, one of those expeditions actually resulted in something vaguely intriguing on occasion, and even slipped into the hands of the rest of the house for the nobles to show off and pride themselves over like they owned it all along. One of these things was reported to be some tubes of contained substance. Some geniuses said they were batteries, but apparently the girl got so curious about the whole thing that she decided to see for herself. Or at least, that was what was told. When the rest of the house got to the trophy room, they found the case broken into, the vials empty, and the girl absolutely nowhere to be found. It was said that the vials contained an old invisibility serum, and that now the girl was a ghost.

Of course, the source in question was a drunken bastard who was fired by the Noble Guilds just hours before, so it's really hard to tell if he was even telling the truth. In any case, Kitty certainly isn't telling.

Concept: Mysterious Invisible Trickster

After years of boring, fake living in the glam of the spires, Kitty saw turning invisible as a sign of freedom. Ever since then, she has used her newfound powers to their fullest, living out her fantasies as a woman of intrigue and taste free of political boredom. Of course, she's also used the opportunity to have a little fun every now and then; to be honest, the world can take itself too seriously sometimes. It also helps that she has a healthy appreciation of ancient spy fiction and stories of daring pulp heroes, and that she is now in an environment that is almost tailor made for two-fisted tales.

Good: Invisible
Aspect: International Gentlewoman Thief
Skills: Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth (9)
----

Always be polite. Always keep them guessing. Never get caught. It's unprofessional to kill. Always get paid. These are the tenants of the gentlewoman thief. Always planning her next mark and her next getaway, Kitty is quickly developing a reputation as a master cat burglar and heist planner.

Fair: Trickster
Aspect: Do It With Flair
Skills: Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will (9)
----

It is true, Kitty definitely takes queues from the legends of old. When she goes for something, she goes in all the way; every flashy move, every daring twist, every stunningly ridiculous getaway plan. To her, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing in a way that is so utterly ridiculous everyone has to remember and no one will be able to believe. After all, if you are an invisible woman, might as well have a little fun, right? Still, her dorky appreciation of pulp and her desire to make a name for herself can sometimes lead her to make some really, really stupid decisions. But hey, at least those decisions had style.

Average: Thief
Aspect: Still Learning the Ropes
Skills: Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Tech (Science), Vehicles (9)
----

Thing is, she only got into the Game relatively recently. Sure, she acts like she has been a mysterious master forever, some anonymous individual whose master of the thieving arts lies unparalleled, but really that's just smoke and mirrors, a deception upon a deception. And sometimes that deception becomes plainly obvious and the person who doesn't quite know what the hell is what shines through. Still, if there is one thing she has going for her, it is that she is eager and quick to learn.

Omega: Baroque These Chains

Kitty still remembers her time as a noble. She remembers the stuffiness, the plasticity, the mind games and ploys for mere poker chips and inheritance papers. She remembers the disdain they felt for everyone, the bubble they separated the world with, the marble masks they wore every day. Kitty hopes to slip free from her past, to never return to the horrible suffocation of those high-rise spires. But one day, most of all, she hopes to be able to shake up the upper class, to make them see the world they decided to ignore; and most importantly, to see themselves.

Skills:
From start: = 27
Specialize trained (Combat): 3
Total = 30

+4 Athletics, Contacts, Deceive, Notice
+3 Burglary, Stealth, Combat
+2 Empathy, Will, Rapport, Provoke
+1 Physique, Vehicles, Tech

Stunts:

I Believe I Have An Idea...: When Brainstorming and establishing a fact, Kitty may establish a fact alongside the winner or the second highest roll if Kitty is the winner. This may be only used once per Brainstorming session.

Moves Like Water: Bulletproof, but weak against attacks she can't see coming.

I Am Already Gone: Absolutely better at Stealth and Burglary, but at a cost. (2)

It Was Done 20 Minutes Ago: Once per encounter, Kitty may establish one scene Aspect with one free invoke.

Go With The Flow: +1 to Create an Advantage with Combat or Athletics when fighting unarmed.

Stunt Benefits: 6/5

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 29, 2014

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Zelda Stardust, Intrepid Traveler

Space is big. Really, really big. Impossibly big. It takes years for light to get places, and for a long time light was the fastest thing in the universe. But now we're faster. I'm faster. Someone with the balls and the gear can travel from one edge of the universe to the other and back again without being an immortal. I'm someone with the gear and the balls, even though I don't actually have testicles. But now zipping from one edge of the universe and back isn't the exciting thing. It's like driving on a highway without taking in the sights. So I'm taking the scenic route now, visiting as many worlds as I can and having the time of my life. My job is courier and part-time adventurer, but my career is professional wanderer. My job takes me to a lot of crazy places, but when you're doing a drop off you don't get to stick around for long. So I use my job to scout fun places to go and swing back around at my leisure. It's a sweet gig.

I don't come from anywhere fancy; I'm a Earthling. Hell, that's probably why I wanted to wander in the first place; Earth is nice, but it's boring. There are just humans there and humans are nice but they're dirt common. The really weird poo poo exists beyond the atmosphere, in the heavenly spheres. I always wanted to see the weird poo poo, ever since I was a little kid reading science fiction novels. It's funny how much of that science fiction became science fact and how much of it still is fantastic. Still waiting on that Singularity. But I digress, I always had the wanderlust; there was a forest by my house where I would spend hours exploring. My parents worried about me to start, but they eventually let me do my own thing. They'd take me on trips too, so I got to see all sorts of things. I loved the feeling of being somewhere new, of experiencing the unknown. I became something of a junkie for it, so when I got out of school I immediately traveled abroad. I'd do odd jobs, never sticking to one thing or one place for long. Novelty was my lifeblood.

Eventually, I wanted more. Earth was nice, but there was so much else out there. I saved my money and went back to school to become a spaceship pilot. I needed to fly, to escape gravity and I did. Graduated top of the class, landed a job as an assistant captain right out of school. I still remember the ship I was stationed on, the Zephyr. Real nice captain, swarthy old guy with a metal hand and a big old belly. He taught me how to survive in the cosmos and how to turn my dreams into reality. I loved that old bastard, still do. For my 28th birthday he bought me my own ship, as a token of gratitude for my good work. That bad boy I still fly today, my good old Supernova. I've taken Supernova across the universe, picking up all sorts of fun things along the way. Like biotic enhancements. Hey, when you're traveling to worlds harsher than anything on Earth, you've gotta make yourself keep up. I'm more human than human, baby; I'm downright transhuman. I've scrimped and I've saved to bootstrap myself into something that can swing with the heavy hitters in this universe. I've got a colony of nanomachines flowing through my body (getting the ThirdEye synaptic enhancer to control them hurt like a bitch), enhanced metabolism, reinforced bones and muscles, a sweet ceramic arm (lost the real one in a swordfight with a Zhentari Lord of War), all sorts of neat poo poo. Going artifact hunting is really just an extension of my supernatural talents.

Concept: Intrepid Traveler

Good: Transhuman
Aspect: More Human Than Human*
Invoke: To be able to pull out tricks that a baseline human can't.
Compel: To freak people out with her transhumanity, to push herself past her limits.
Skills: Notice, Combat, Athletics, Will, Physique, Nanomachinery (9)

Nanomachinery: Overcome/Create/Attack/Defend (2)

Nanomachinery is the use of nanomachines to manipulate and rearrange matter. The nanomachines can rearrange matter on the subatomic scale, and can cannibalize themselves to produce more usable matter.

Overcome: Create tools and structures that allow you to replicate useful objects.
Create an Advantage: Reshape the terrain around you or create chemical compounds.
Attack: Unleash matter-disassembling "grey goo" or volatile compounds. Can also be used to make weaponry
Defend: Interpose liquid metal between you and whatever's trying to hurt you

Fair: Courier of the Stars
Aspect: Neither Rain Nor Sleet Nor Dead of Night...
Skills: Vehicles, Contacts, Empathy, Rapport, Provoke, Deceive (9)

Average: Thrillseeking Adventurer
Aspect: Sure, What the Hell
Skills: Notice, Athletics, Rapport, Vehicles, Stealth, Combat (10)

Omega: Too Clever By Half

+5 Notice
+4: Combat, Nanomachinery, Athletics
+3: Will, Physique, Vehicles, Rapport, Provoke
+2: Contacts, Empathy, Provoke, Deceive
+1: Stealth

From Start: 28
Focus Notice (2)
Total: 30

Stunts:

Adaptive Nano-Weave Defense Suite: Weapon:2, 1 Armor

Devilishly Charming: +1 to Create an Advantage and Overcome with Rapport when being witty and fun.

Nanomachines, Son (permission: Transhuman): Immune to bullets and weaker things, but can be disabled by strong electromagnetic pulses. Can use Nanomachinery instead of Will against psychic attack, but fails with strong electromagnetic pulses. Absolute Physique when surviving harsh environments.

Microexpression Detector: Use Notice instead of Empathy when detecting lies or hidden meanings.

30 Minutes or Less: +2 to Overcome with Vehicles when time is of the essence and safe driving isn't.

Signature Aspect: Transhuman

"YOUR MOTHER WAS A [censored]!": +2 to Attack with Provoke when insulting or swearing at someone.

Stunt total 7/5 (2 free FP for the MC)

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Are brainstorms and/or inventing going to come up regularly in this game?

It'll depend on the skill spread of the characters I pick, but most likely. If you're going to be around this much tech, might as well figure out what it's for!

[b]Signup is closed. Thanks for all the great apps, party will be decided soon![b]

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

"I think we've got some real winners here, Reva."

"True champion of the ancient, Bez."

"Vanquishers of darkness, Reva, true Calns of the technomagical trove that hides beneath these hallowed streets!"

"You really are fond of these creatures, aren't you Bez?"

"I'll admit it, Reva. I really do adore them!"

Reva shrugs. "They do make good music. Speaking of, let's not waste anymore time!"

Reva claps her hands, and more music explodes from hidden speakers at a volume that makes your stomach twist into knots.

"Bez, bring up The List. We've got money to make."

Party
The Beller - JackMann

Xaquari Guillame IV - The Deleter

"Burkhard" - TheNabster

Varakyn Phokaina - Comrade Gorbash

Dyega Gretchen, Witch of Crowleshir - AlanWhats

Play thread will be up by tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

As mentioned a few days previous in the IRC, Atomic Robo isn't really working out for me or my plans for this game, so sadly I have to close it. However, I'm putting up another game with a similar concept and setting, which will be run in GURPS. If you folks stick around, you're welcome to adapt your characters if wanted.

If you have any questions, please contact me through PMs or the IRC channel.

• Locked thread