Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

toggle posted:

Do you have a bib? Where do you park that load?

this was super funny holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Momohime Katsumi posted:

wtf, how did the US somehow come up with the most orderly and respectful drivers in the free world? basically everyone abroad drives like a nyc rear end in a top hat driver, literally all the time. thoughts?

When was the last time you drove in the US? Having just come back from Europe, I'm eating road rage at the assholes who can't follow simple rules like "Get out of the left lane if you're not going to do the speed limit" and "don't pass on the right" and "Semi Trucks stay in the right lane" and "don't slam on your brakes just because you happen to see a cop" and "Just because California Law says Motorcycles can filter through congested traffic by driving between vehicles doesn't mean you should do it at 9pm on the not-congested Interstate at 100mph!"

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
its true. every place ive been they drive insanely bad to the point of extreme inefficiency. even in nice places

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

No. 6 posted:

Yes, a 4 way stop sign is not ambiguous at all, nor does it fall short in every way to roundabouts.

Americans are literally so bad at roundabouts they have to put stop-lights at every entrance and exit

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sidakafitz posted:

I've heard Japanese traffic is very orderly and precise because they all share a single consciousness (they hide this from everyone of course and pretend to be individuals).

Most of Tokyo traffic is super orderly. I never once saw a person merge without flashing their blinkers afterwards to thank the guy behind them. Outside the city it can get a little bad, but mostly it's just because there are almost as many people as in Tokyo proper, but the roads are tiny and lovely and have ridiculously bad traffic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Everyone everywhere sucks and is a stupid butt head. You included!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

Americans are literally so bad at roundabouts they have to put stop-lights at every entrance and exit

No they literally don't. Maybe at that one but I've literally never seen lights at any of the literal roundabouts I've been through in literally dozens of literal states. It's weird how things are different in different places, huh?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rotaries (thats what we call them) dont have stoplights in the northeast and people know how to use them hth with the making GBS threads on american drivers..

I think the rule is, the further west you go the more half assed and moronic the driving is, until you hit the west coast again and even then only on the highways there is it tolerable.

Sorry freeways?? Dont mean to offend delicate sensibilities here

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Urban texans drive like they're being pursued by Los Zetas 100% of the time. If you drive to dallas be ready to sideswipe somebody to get on useful roads

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No. 6 posted:

Yes, a 4 way stop sign is not ambiguous at all, nor does it fall short in every way to roundabouts.

lol yes this is how you defend roundabouts (we call me rotaries in this area and they're still dumb as gently caress).

A 4 way stop is actually easy just most people don't seem to know the rule of em.

edit: haahah someone thought we had stop lights at rotaries? LMAO

a posting ghost posted:

I think the rule is, the further west you go the more half assed and moronic the driving is, until you hit the west coast again and even then only on the highways there is it tolerable.

I thought the Boston area was the worst until I traveled to Texas in October holy loving poo poo.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 25, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

as a european let me show you this picture and act very smug about it

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Sounds like Dallas and Phoenix drivers are the same.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

look dc drivers are really dumb and the city layout is horrifying let's not go blaming the whole country.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

look dc drivers are really dumb and the city layout is horrifying let's not go blaming the whole country.

Driving in nova is the worst hell

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
a drunk man from dc told me the street layout was designed specifically to confuse people who hadnt been there before so that invading armies would get slowed down if they were trying to take the city

he might have been bullshitting me but imo it makes a lot of sense

feller
Jul 5, 2006

so many morons in this thread

yeah those humans over there sure drive way differenttly from the humans over here and the humans over the other there. good job

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Omelette du Fromage posted:

so many morons in this thread

yeah those humans over there sure drive way differenttly from the humans over here and the humans over the other there. good job

Like you're actually dumb if you've watched american, chinese, Indian, Japanese, Russian drivers and you think theres no difference in cultural driving habits

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
OP sounds like a big pussy.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol yes this is how you defend roundabouts (we call me rotaries in this area and they're still dumb as gently caress).

A 4 way stop is actually easy just most people don't seem to know the rule of em.

edit: haahah someone thought we had stop lights at rotaries? LMAO

I thought the Boston area was the worst until I traveled to Texas in October holy loving poo poo.

Rotaries are great except when the entrance/yielding lane is backed up because many drivers are oh so timid when it comes to entering them. Which then means any number of cars will end up at a standstill behind them, so now they have to find the slightest opening and quickly accelerate to merge in. Aside from that, when they are traffic-free you can just get in the inside of the circle and pass people on the left that are going <30mph and unnecessarily braking whenever they see another vehicle nearby entering the rotary unaware of that right-of-way poo poo. Ideally, you should be on the inside anyways - so other entering vehicles can easily flow into the rotary traffic pattern which prevents things from backing up. Not sure if this is the official Commonwealth of Massachusetts approved method of driving through a rotary intersection but its how ive always played the game and I've done good in whatever I was driving.

4 way stops are really something that most people should be able to deduce what they should be doing in terms of determining who has right-of-way when approaching such an intersection but I guess not. Just be aware of when u have proper right-of-way and then u just have to be assertive with that poo poo and be ready to react in case you end up on a collision course with another vehicle. Just dedicate 5-15 seconds of attention to these and u can get through safely and then just go back to zoning out again or looking at ur instagram.

I really don't find anything especially terrible about driving in Boston/Massachusetts over most other cities in the US or the Northeast in particular.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 25, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My first time driving in Australia - on the right, mind you. Why is your driving wheel in a different place?

And all the signs in metric, man, it was other worldly.

So many loving rotaries. Places in America that would be basic four way stops (subdivision for example) were rotaries in Alice Spring.

As I approached the "city" from the airport 20KM away, I thought I had this right side driving OK.

And then came the double roundabout which is Alice Spring's greeting.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mariana Horchata posted:

Rotaries are great except when the entrance/yielding lane is backed up because many drivers are oh so timid when it comes to entering them. Which then means any number of cars will end up at a standstill behind them, so now they have to find the slightest opening and quickly accelerate to merge in. Aside from that, when they are traffic-free you can just get in the inside of the circle and pass people on the left that are going <30mph and unnecessarily braking whenever they see another vehicle nearby entering the rotary unaware of that right-of-way poo poo. Ideally, you should be on the inside anyways - so other entering vehicles can easily flow into the rotary traffic pattern which prevents things from backing up. Not sure if this is the official Commonwealth of Massachusetts approved method of driving through a rotary intersection but its how ive always played the game and I've done good in whatever I was driving.

4 way stops are really something that most people should be able to deduce what they should be doing in terms of determining who has right-of-way when approaching such an intersection but I guess not. Just be aware of when u have proper right-of-way and then u just have to be assertive with that poo poo and be ready to react in case you end up on a collision course with another vehicle. Just dedicate 5-15 seconds of attention to these and u can get through safely and then just go back to zoning out again or looking at ur instagram.

I really don't find anything especially terrible about driving in Boston/Massachusetts over most other cities in the US or the Northeast in particular.

Its k if someone doesnt know what the gently caress theyre doing they will get helpful hints in the form of yelled suggestions and prolonged blasts of the horn from the people behind them..we take care of our drivers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mariana Horchata posted:

Boston streets are really hosed up since the city wasn't planned at all. Just compare a map of NYC to it.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

Boston streets are really hosed up since the city wasn't planned at all. Just compare a map of NYC to it.

Like half a square mile is hosed up...the rest was planned. And the hosed up part isn't even that hard to get around once you know the major routes (the one ways will getcha though)

Dorchester and parts of roxbury are a pain but the kind of people who complain about this kind of thing don't go there anyway.

Downtown NYC wasn't planned, that's the comparison. Everything north of it is a grid, same with everything south of downtown boston.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 25, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you're in South Boston you're walking so.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you're in South Boston you're walking so.

?

Im from JP..only need to know jamaicaway, centre st, lamartine, amory to get around.

South boston is a grid, not following

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SeaTard posted:

Most of Tokyo traffic is super orderly. I never once saw a person merge without flashing their blinkers afterwards to thank the guy behind them. Outside the city it can get a little bad, but mostly it's just because there are almost as many people as in Tokyo proper, but the roads are tiny and lovely and have ridiculously bad traffic.

How do you flash your blinkers, like put the 4 ways on a second?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

a posting ghost posted:

?

Im from JP..only need to know jamaicaway, centre st, lamartine, amory to get around.

South boston is a grid, not following

Jamaicaway is a death trap.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Control Volume posted:

as a european let me show you this picture and act very smug about it

Is that 401 in Toronto? Driving from Detroit to Toronto one time, my wife fell asleep around London, where it's a nice country drive. She woke up in Mississauga like "holy poo poo"

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
good username idea: halahs sleepy wife

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Momohime Katsumi posted:

wtf, how did the US somehow come up with the most orderly and respectful drivers in the free world? basically everyone abroad drives like a nyc rear end in a top hat driver, literally all the time. thoughts?

i'm from california please explain, people from out of state drive like poo poo and we drive like poo poo. Mother loving arizona drivers never accelerate on a uphill on ramp that has a lane of free way traffic merging in, slowing everyone else down. texans seem to get mystified when they are on a street that isn't ground level. I think the best drivers i have seen are the dick holes who moved down from alaska.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

good username idea: halahs sleepy wife

There is a local wing chain called Roosters here that has a sauce named Donkey. One time I ordered ten boneless donkeys and we all had a good laugh about that being a good band name. Thank you for allowing this short derail down memory lane :yum:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

How do you flash your blinkers, like put the 4 ways on a second?

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Utah has the worst drivers among Americans, can't speak for other countries but Utah people are nice outside their cars and entitled speed demons inside them

• Locked thread