Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
If Johnny Cash shot a man in Reno, why is he in prison at Folsom State Prison in California?

Folsom State Prison is a state prison (that is why it is called Folsom State Prison) in California. It would incarcerate inmates who were convicted of crimes committed in California. Reno is in Nevada. Some might argue that the killing in Reno was part of a kidnapping that either started in California and ended up in Nevada, but if it was an interstate crime, he would have ended up in a federal prison.

I think there are two possibilities:

1. At the time the song takes place, Nevada had no prison with good enough security to hold such a dangerous killer, so he was transferred to the nearest maximum security prison available.
2. The crime he committed in Reno is not the one he is in prison in Folsom for. He is just using it as an example of how "badass" he is.

In any case, the fact that Mr. Cash would contain such a gaping plot hole in the song really ruins my immersion. This is the type of thing song writers should consider before penning ballads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe the Nevada ones were too crowded, so they sent him off there. I think they do that to prisoners, right?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
song ruined hold on while I dramatically toss my original Columbia Records printings out the second story of my house

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

he never specifies what he went to prison for, doofus. just that as part of the story background he once shot a man.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

thunderspanks posted:

he never specifies what he went to prison for, doofus

oh no, my record!!!

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
guys it's just a made up song. in truth, there was never anybody called "johnny cash"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

thunderspanks posted:

he never specifies what he went to prison for, doofus

I cover that under option 2, but still it is strongly implied. "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" is the only specific crime mentioned in the song. It would be a bit dishonest of the narrator to give extraneous information. If he is in jail for robbing a liquor store in Sacramento, why doesn't he say that?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
actually he's boasting about what a good shot he is.. he shot the man in reno while standing in california

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Harald posted:

actually he's boasting about what a good shot he is.. he shot the man in reno while standing in california

Nice theory, but wouldn't that be an interstate, and thus federal, crime?

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're the exact kinda person j. Cash would never hang out with, op.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
theory number 4: he shot the man in renal (aka the kidneys) just to watch him die a slow and painful death. a commonly misheard lyric

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Harald posted:

theory number 4: he shot the man in renal (aka the kidneys) just to watch him die a slow and painful death. a commonly misheard lyric

gently caress I actually like that theory.

Or maybe he is saying he was "In Renal", like he was in a dialysis unit of the hospital, but still while so weak that he is almost dying he sees an enemy coming, pulls out his gun, and shoots him.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
look maybe you have rich parents or whatever but don't blame a man just because they go to a state prison. not everyone can afford your fancy ivy league private prison.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reno_Junction,_California

quote:

Reno Junction is an unincorporated community in Lassen County, California.[1] It is located on the Western Pacific Railroad 0.5 miles (0.8 km) east of Beckwourth Pass,[2] at an elevation of 4997 feet (1523 m).[1]

the only reason he left out the junction part is that it wouldn't have fit the meter. MYSTERY SOLVED.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
"I shot a man in Barstow" doesn't have the same ring to it.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
this thread would be better presented as a listicle with an eye grabbing headline, like 5 Insane Reasons Johnny Cash Never Shot A Man In Reno

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I never listened to the whole song even if its in my avatar signature.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
probably police brutality op

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

good point op.. i will never listen to this song the same way again

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
furthermore, if he was just a baby, how is he supposed to be able to remember what his mother told him?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

John Denver Hoxha posted:

furthermore, if he was just a baby, how is he supposed to be able to remember what his mother told him?

Sometimes you have strong memories of specific incidents.

Or maybe it was something she told him she had been saying since he was a baby. Like "Johnny, I've been saying since before you were able to walk to don't ever play with guns"

And isn't the lyric "Young boy"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Mr. Popo posted:

"I shot a man in Barstow" doesn't have the same ring to it.

If you shoot a man in Barstow, you can always just claim it was a mercy killing.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Glad that mystery was solved. Now can we start figuring out why Bob Marley decided to leave a witness and not shoot the deputy?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

TrixRabbi posted:

Glad that mystery was solved. Now can we start figuring out why Bob Marley decided to leave a witness and not shoot the deputy?

And for that matter, why was he making such a point out of not killing the deputy? I don't know if there would be that much difference in the legal ramifications between killing one cop or two.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
and in that vein....why would you tell 'scary ghost stories' for christmas?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

i liked it when johnny cash covered head like a hole, his version was way better

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

gently caress I actually like that theory.

Or maybe he is saying he was "In Renal", like he was in a dialysis unit of the hospital, but still while so weak that he is almost dying he sees an enemy coming, pulls out his gun, and shoots him.

Maybe he meant the victim was in the dialysis unit suffering and it was a mercy killing?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
did you know he performed the song IN folsom state prison?

so meta...

:tutbutt:

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone
Johnny cash hasn't been in prison as an inmate

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l95D7leeU3w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Cash got the song from a movie he saw while serving in the air force.

This song is 100% factual though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq344ks1ieg

• Locked thread