Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, you guys all know about Phil Hendrie, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV29C3sb3ps

Yeah yeah, he went berzerk over people putting his stuff on Napster and dug his heels in against the internet and lost. And yeah, 1999-2006 were the golden years and the webshow isn't the same. And the whole full Hitchens thing. But come on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mG-T9ocF_U

He's got those fans who obsessively maintain a Google doc with every bit of errata regarding his shows stuck in there, including which shows are misplaced on his site, all that poo poo. And now he has to pass the hat doing voice acting work because his ecosystem died out on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CChW1arLJg

Without live callers will there ever be anything like it again? Probably not. So maybe Rush Limbaugh was worth it.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Do yourself a favor and shell out the eight bucks for a month of the Phil Hendrie site, download everything you can from 1999 to September 10th, and enjoy some of the funniest, most subversive radio ever broadcast. Its not like he never did anything good outside of that period, but you'll have to deal with a huge amount of really bad political commentary along with it.

There are dozens of unbelievably obnoxious things about Phil, and he makes it real easy to hate him, but he's a funny and talented guy.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I did the above recently and the Down Them All extension was very helpful. MP3tag has enough functionality that you can then generate good tags from the filenames (if anyone wants help with this I can put the really bad "code" I came up with to do this in here). Additionally once you do this there's a 2GB fan fix on Pirate Bay called "Fixes by Nirv" that fills in most of the files where the original DAT was lost, where a few of the site audio files were missing or corrupted, etc. All of the classic era stuff amounts to about 50GB.

I'm letting my subscription run for a few months at least so Phil makes some money off of me.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 25, 2014

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Steve Bosell would be the best forum mod if you think about it.

Captain Tact
Feb 9, 2006
I'm your only friend, I'm not your only friend.
I love me some Phil. My dad got me started listening to him in the 1996-1997 timeframe, and the show was outrageously funny in those days. The stuff he used to do with callers was totally unique, and requires an insane talent. I still listen to his daily podcast, which is admittedly not as good as the old radio show, but some of the stuff he has done recently has been great; I lose it every time the Overlords disperse Ed Elcott, and the vampire hunter thing he did on Halloween was pants-pissingly hilarious.

Also, I don't have a BSP, but if they are on there, make sure to check out the Milwaukee Lions podcasts. They were fake broadcasts of minor-league football games, with tons of jokes sprinkled in.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Captain Tact posted:

I love me some Phil. My dad got me started listening to him in the 1996-1997 timeframe, and the show was outrageously funny in those days. The stuff he used to do with callers was totally unique, and requires an insane talent. I still listen to his daily podcast, which is admittedly not as good as the old radio show, but some of the stuff he has done recently has been great; I lose it every time the Overlords disperse Ed Elcott, and the vampire hunter thing he did on Halloween was pants-pissingly hilarious.

Also, I don't have a BSP, but if they are on there, make sure to check out the Milwaukee Lions podcasts. They were fake broadcasts of minor-league football games, with tons of jokes sprinkled in.

The Lions games were Phil doing play by play of himself playing Madden after his 2006 "retirement". Funny and sad. Wasn't long after that that he started up as a crackpot progressive liberal political host.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Haha Phil dabbled in being a Let's Player.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Phil made me really h appy in the late 90s, but everything I've encountered since then has made me ~leave the memories alone~.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
I'm glad he's back and halfway rational. All hail Elcott.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Aside from his appearance on WTF, the most recent thing of Phil's I encountered was a video of him doing one of his semiannual nervous breakdowns. He was shirtless, talking into the camera about how horrible his life is and how much he hates his fans. He spent a good five minutes showing off his meds and describing what they do. He then went into one of his patented rants extolling his singular talent and ability. I want to say this was about 2010? It was... It was something else. He's a bit of a paranoid weirdo, it turns out.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005
I just spent a 1400 mile road trip listening to nothing but Hendrie and a little music. Highlights of the trip included Jeff Dowder talking about the ministry of propaganda and the mother-father computer, Steve Bosell having cyber sex with his neighbor "Bonemaster", and Southern California Doolie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DangerDummy! posted:

Aside from his appearance on WTF, the most recent thing of Phil's I encountered was a video of him doing one of his semiannual nervous breakdowns. He was shirtless, talking into the camera about how horrible his life is and how much he hates his fans. He spent a good five minutes showing off his meds and describing what they do. He then went into one of his patented rants extolling his singular talent and ability. I want to say this was about 2010? It was... It was something else. He's a bit of a paranoid weirdo, it turns out.

Many of his fans are legitimately terrible so I don't blame him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Changed up the OP a bit because Phil went around and took down all the videos I had linked to :mad:

Don't know why he has to be such an internet dumbass. I can't even find three videos that aren't a format giveaway on Youtube now.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 23, 2015

• Locked thread