Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This post is meant to discuss the fundamental differences and spatial divides between our current era of income inequality and reduced rates of upward class mobility throughout the lifecourse.

In order to shape policy and create impact, one must first understand the future trends and likely policy outcomes which will need to be shaped. To do so, I'd like to begin by introducing a few points on the differences between boomer and millenial social dynamics by spatial residency, in order to build a case for the likely course of urban politics and quality of life without proactive policy intervention.

1. Fit is in, fat is black

How can you know a man's social class in half a second? By looking at him and correlating him with others whom you've seen as similar with obvious spatial clues. In the last guilded age, meat was more expensive than vegetables; in the current era, calories are cheap and health expensive.

Consider: The average calories for a McDonalds meal in 1950 was 360. In 2013, the average calories for the same meal is 720. The purchasing power required for the 2013 meal is less than that required for the 1950 meal. Calories have decoupled from purchasing power.

Result: The less calories one purchases, the more one spends to purchase them. Thus, a major contributing influence to the present obesity epidemic in America.

Implication: Fat is poor. Fit is health. Therefore, those activities which increase activity and decrease unhealthiness are associated with prestige and social status. To keep up with the Jones, one does not purchase a better car; they jog more and cook better.

2. Transition of racism to classism

We are less racist, for we are less able to immediately discern an individual's SES based upon their race. We an approximate; we can never know the precise rules and social dynamics in which they live under. This is the result of power sharing with minority groups.

What this means is that overt racism is absolutely unacceptable in the globalized world, while overt classism is completely normal. No longer can race be assumed to mean class; therefore, context must be considered before assignment of class by race. Is an individual morbidly obese and black? Lowest SES grouping possible is assigned. Is an individual white and morbidly obese? Slightly higher, mostly same level of SES grouping assigned.

Implication: Less unwillingness to move into area of medium SES by race as primary factor. Thus, gentrification.

3. Collapse of labor intensive manufacturing

Trends in labor and productivity have separated manual labor work from physical fitness status. Growth of service sector has resulted in decrease in caloric expenditure per hour of labor performed. Trends in transportation and methods of arrival to work have resulted in decreased average worker metabolic rate in service sector.

4. Gentrification and bifurcated housing market

Statua is no longer determined purely by race before wealth. Therefore, communities structured around race as identifier are gentrifying as non-equivolent racial community groups move in to accumulate capital at faster rate. Thus, community safety increases and role of race as primary and sole identifier of community SES decreases. Self-reinforcing feedback loop initiatied until capital-conscious individuals transition to new community after failure to advance class status or desire to maintain labor mobility.

Thus, there are two housing markets of primary growth: sub-$1 million rent-orientated properties under active management, and over-$1 million home and condo ownership.

5. Urban Rebirth

Millenials are living in urban areas at a higher rate than non-millenials. Preference is towards downtown and inner-ring living with access to non-personal automobile orientated transit options. Cost of vehicles for millenials and opportunity cost of home ownership makes non-ownership of vehicles with renting a more cost-effective method for increasing potential for upward class mobility over the lifecourse and increasing capital accumulation throughout life.

Consider the following demographic trends for millenials compared to boomers: increased age at first marriage, increased age at child birth, decreased rates of home ownership as compared with boomer cohort at same age.

My explanation? Low age for childbirth, marriage, and home ownership is not effective for attainment of upward mobility through lifecourse. Different social dynamics over pre-digital and post-digital demographics incentivize high sociability as a reaction to hypercompetition; the more social capital one can accumulate through their most productive working years, the more effective an individual is at transitioning social capital into capital. Urban living simply provides increased chances to form social capital that can be translated into capital than suburban living.

Thus, there is an age-drain from suburbs, with auto-centric suburbs aging at a more rapid than average rate as compared to rural and urban areas with options other than automobiles.

6. Trends in gentrification

Due to variety of incentives which promote residence in urban areas zoned for mixed-use, millenials who would be purchasing a home if they were a boomer are increasingly residing in urban neighborhoods. This raises prices in those neighborhoods, which pushes out individuals who cannot afford to maintain life in same neighborhood.

The individuals priced out are most likely to be those with the lowest rates of upward class mobility throughout lifespan and lower maximum lifetime earnings potential: black, incomplete education, service sector, and non-English speaking minorities primarily employed in service sector.

Translation? Neighborhoods in cities are becoming safer because individuals most likely to be caught for committing crimes are less likely to continue affording residence in those neighborhoods. Due to trends in development, high concentration of poverty neighborhoods have decreasing capacity to absorb new residents, allowing individuals with home ownership or stable employment residing in those neighborhoods to move further out into the suburbs.

7. The sherriff's a N-*gong*!

Implication of point 6 is that the neighborhood of Ferguson, MO represents an increased trend in American society and such communities will continue to be created at a greater rate than during peak years of boomer attainment of home ownership.

Expectations: Tax base decrease in built-up suburban areas. Increased rightwing voting trends in those neighborhoods/increased Republican share of non-minority household vote in suburbs as boomer reaction to racial mixing. Decreased funding of infrastructure and increased funding of racially-orientated security forces. Decreased ability for boomers to maintain independent living, increased short-term costs for care at the community level with decreased long-term state and federal outlays necessary for boomer care.

Decreased funding and walk-orientation of infrastructure increases opportunities for racial incidents and auto-related morbidity and mortality.

8. The American experience

America is aging and will spatially reorientate itself to fit changed social dynamics. Housing values will decrease in auto-orientated suburbs while increasing in urban areas and those with multiple, and viable, safe and accessible transit options. Communities where this process is more likely to occur are those with primarily boomer property ownership and 3-20% poverty minority demographics; process already underway or complete in communities with over-20% poverty minority population.

Where do you flee to when you're underwater on your mortgage, on a fixed income, and don't have young children to consider? You don't; you shelter in place until a race riot forces your migration at a capital loss. From the trends in property purchases discussed earlier, we can see that inter-generational transition of capital from boomers to millenials will be reduced for most Americans with sub-$1 million net worth. This in turn provides an incentive for millenials to continue lifestyle which maximizes potential capital accumulation: if you got nothing to inherit, why stay in place when you can earn more and live better elsewhere? Urban centers maximize opportunity for upward class mobility; reductions on inheritance taxes for sub-$1 million net worth is therefore a progressive and proactive policy. However, these reductions in taxation are not sufficient to offset the losses from differences in habitual perceptions of race and spatial constraints between boomers and millenials.

I'd like to hear your experiences with these dynamics and your perceptions of successful and unsuccessful policy interventions which impact these dynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
[reserved for compilation of case examples in case this thread takes off]

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What initiatives currently exist?

Glad you asked! WHO has an Age-Friendly Cities initiative which has seen varying degrees of success in its implementation:

http://www.who.int/ageing/age_friendly_cities_network/en/

To quote on what it means to be an age friendly city:

quote:

WHO Global Network of Age-friendly Cities and Communities

About the Network

A growing number of cities and communities worldwide are striving to better meet the needs of their older residents.

The WHO Global Network of Age-friendly Cities and Communities (GNAFCC) was established to foster the exchange of experience and mutual learning between cities and communities worldwide. Any city or community that is committed to creating inclusive and accessible urban environments to benefit their ageing populations is welcome to join.

Cities and communities in the Network are of different sizes and are located in different parts of the world. Their efforts to become more age-friendly take place within very diverse cultural and socio-economic contexts. What all members of the Network do have in common is the desire and commitment to create physical and social urban environments that promote healthy and active ageing and a good quality of life for their older residents.

WHO activities

With the Network, WHO provides a global platform for information exchange, mutual support through the sharing of experience.

Furthermore, WHO provides guidance and promotes the generation of knowledge on how to assess the age-friendliness of a city or community, how to integrate an ageing perspective in urban planning and how to create age-friendly urban environments.

See also:

http://www.who.int/ageing/age_friendly_cities_guide/en/

This is a fairly decent summation of currently developed best-practices for age-friendly cities. For WHO, age-friendly cities are defined by a matched matrix of 8 core pillars, which are:

quote:

Housing

Transportation

Social Participation

Respect and Social Inclusion

Civic Participation and Employment

Communication and Information

Community Support and Health Services

Outdoor Spaces and Buildings

Unfortunately, WHO fails to account for the voracity of racism and differences in generational perceptions in its policy proposals. Good loving luck getting WHO to admit that, "Outdoor Spaces, Quality 7: A Secure Environment," means, in practice, 'an environment free of ethnicities which I perceive to be criminal elements and prone to violence.'

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 25, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I'd like to see some actual sources of evidence for the claim that "overt" racism is no longer an issue. Is it as bad as fifty years ago? No. Is it still a huge issue in many urban centres? It sure as hell seems to be.

I'd also like to see some actual data backing up the claim that pricing minorities out of neighbourhoods actually causes a decrease in crime. Crime rates are going down across the country and people have hypothesized all kinds of reasons; legalization of abortion a generation ago, decreasing usage of leaded gaosline, the availability of alternative activities like video games, changing police tactics, etc.

If you wanna argue that gentrification is actually decreasing crime (rather than, for instance, lowered crime rates causing gentrification, or merely correlating with it) then you need to demonstrate that crime goes down after gentrification begins, goes up in places where property values drop, and remains high in visible minority neighbourhoods.

It's a bit suspicious when you make a data free post that acts like its just common sense that racism isn't a big issue in urban politics and that we all just know that driving out those drat minorities will lower crime rates. If you're gonna make a potentially controversial argument like that you should have good evidence to support it.

Anyway, that having been said it would be nice to have more threads on issues related to urban planning and politics. Something that I'd like to see more discussion of is decreases in federal funding for cities and increasing competition by city government, following the lead of writers like Richard Florida, to try and attract young professionals through city branding.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Anyway, that having been said it would be nice to have more threads on issues related to urban planning and politics. Something that I'd like to see more discussion of is decreases in federal funding for cities and increasing competition by city government, following the lead of writers like Richard Florida, to try and attract young professionals through city branding.

Sure, thanks for calling me out on that. I have a tendancy to assume that everyone is as familiar with the dynamics which I reference during leisure time, and save the citations for professional work.

Helsing posted:

If you wanna argue that gentrification is actually decreasing crime (rather than, for instance, lowered crime rates causing gentrification, or merely correlating with it) then you need to demonstrate that crime goes down after gentrification begins, goes up in places where property values drop, and remains high in visible minority neighbourhoods.

It's a bit suspicious when you make a data free post that acts like its just common sense that racism isn't a big issue in urban politics and that we all just know that driving out those drat minorities will lower crime rates. If you're gonna make a potentially controversial argument like that you should have good evidence to support it.

quote:

Incorporating Unstructured Socializing Into the Study of Secondary Exposure to Community Violence: Etiological and Empirical Implications

doi: 10.1177/0886260513511702

Abstract

Secondary exposure to community violence, defined as witnessing or hearing violence in the community, has the potential to profoundly impact long-term development, health, happiness, and security. While research has explored pathways to community violence exposure at the individual, family, and neighborhood levels, prior work has largely neglected situational factors conducive to secondary violence exposure. The present study evaluates “unstructured socializing with peers in the absence of authority figures” as a situational process that has implications for secondary exposure to violence. Results indicate that a measure of unstructured socializing was significantly associated with exposure to violence, net of an array of theoretically relevant covariates of violence exposure. Moreover, the relationships between exposure to violence and three of the most well-established correlates of violence exposure in the literature—age, male, and prior violence—were mediated to varying degrees by unstructured socializing. The results suggest a more nuanced approach to the study of secondary violence exposure that expands the focus of attention beyond individual and neighborhood background factors to include situational opportunities presented by patterns of everyday activities.

quote:

The Influence of Gentrification on Gang Homicides in Chicago Neighborhoods, 1994 to 2005

doi: 10.1177/0011128712446052

Abstract

In this study, the author examines the effects of three forms of gentrification—demographic shifts, private investment, and state intervention—on gang-motivated homicides in Chicago from 1994 to 2005 using data from the U.S. Census, the Chicago Police Department, business directories, and the Chicago Housing Authority. The findings suggest that demographic shifts have a strong negative effect on gang homicide. Private investment gentrification, measured here as the proliferation of coffee shops, has a marginally significant and negative effect on gang homicide. In contrast, state-based gentrification, operationalized as the demolition of public housing, has a positive effect on gang homicide.

My argument is that gentrification, as defined by demographic shifts in neighborhoods, preceeds decreases in violence at the community level due to chances in situational opportunities presented through daily activity.

I go further and attempt to explain trends which I've witnessed in my experiences as a community organizer and social activist during my time in the midwest. What I've done during my time is ask individuals about their perceptions of trends and their explanations for them; if you want to know why demolition of public housing has a positive impact upon gang-related homicide, ask gang members, gang officers, the families of gang members, the community leaders and front-line employees in communities in which gangs operate, and integrate oneself into gang life as closely as possible in order to understand the real meat of the why?

Would it be helpful if I provided a vertical slice narrative to show where I'm coming from with my views and explanations, or would you prefer that I stick to the lit?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I'll have to check that paper out when I have more time but based on the abstract it sounds like the record on gentrification is mixed. I'd also like to see research into how closely gang related homicides track other forms of crime like burglary and assault.

Also, here's a blog post from the same author. From the conclclusion:

quote:

My research captures a unique historical moment in Chicago, 1994 to 2005, a period of increased gentrification and overall crime decline. However, the relationship between gentrification and crime remains unclear—my research and the research of other urban scholars have found mixed results on the relationship between gentrification and crime. The implication of all this is rather than treat gentrification as a silver bullet crime prevention strategy, we should investigate the characteristics that make gang homicide neighborhoods more volatile during public housing demolition. This approach would continue to serve at risk populations even after they have been relocated or displaced.

Just to be clear I am not categorically ruling out the idea that gentrification decreases crime because there is a certain intuitive plausibility to the idea. But a lot of intuitive sounding ideas turn out to be totally wrong so if we're gonna make that kinda claim it has to be investigated thoroughly.

As I was saying above, the crime drop in Chicago correlates with a drop in crime rates across the country. I'll have to wait until I have time to read the paper before commenting further but I hope the author addresses how they are controlling for that fact.

My Imaginary GF posted:

My argument is that gentrification, as defined by demographic shifts in neighborhoods, preceeds decreases in violence at the community level due to chances in situational opportunities presented through daily activity.

Like I said above: totally plausible, but we need to really dig into the evidence here (that having been said, yeah this is a thread on Something Awful so we're not exactly gonna be peer reviewing each others posts).

quote:

I go further and attempt to explain trends which I've witnessed in my experiences as a community organizer and social activist during my time in the midwest. What I've done during my time is ask individuals about their perceptions of trends and their explanations for them; if you want to know why demolition of public housing has a positive impact upon gang-related homicide, ask gang members, gang officers, the families of gang members, the community leaders and front-line employees in communities in which gangs operate, and integrate oneself into gang life as closely as possible in order to understand the real meat of the why?

I would it help if I provided a vertical slice narrative of where I'm coming from with these views, or would that be too unprofessional?

That sounds really interesting so I'd definitely encourage you to elaborate on what you've learned from talking to people on the front liens of gentrification in Chicago (I get the impression that is where you're based?).

I find Chicago fascinating. I grew up in Toronto, which is in some ways a very similar city and in other ways a very different one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

That sounds really interesting so I'd definitely encourage you to elaborate on what you've learned from talking to people on the front liens of gentrification in Chicago (I get the impression that is where you're based?).

I find Chicago fascinating. I grew up in Toronto, which is in some ways a very similar city and in other ways a very different one.

Sure, names changed and abstracted for obvious reasons. I'll presume knowledge of basic history for Chicago's spatial development and population migrations over time; I've got lists of books on the subject if you'd like any sector or topic specific recommendations.

I'll let this NYT article on Richard M. Daley serve as a quick primer:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/d/richard_m_daley/index.html

quote:

For the better part of 56 years — for better and for worse — the Mayors Daley ran Chicago: first, Richard J. Daley, the former mayor’s father, from 1955 to 1976, when he died in office, then Richard M. Daley, from 1989 to 2011. He was the longest-serving mayor in the history of the city, surpassing his father.

Historians may see that as a theme. The younger Daley, born in 1942, inherited a city riven by racial strife and mired in official corruption. Even if he failed to eliminate those ills, some would say, he turned the city into an economic success story, paying particular attention to beautifying Chicago’s aging core.

The younger Mr. Daley promoted the city’s business, tourism, culinary and art industries in a way that positioned Chicago to compete with American cities better known for such things, like New York and San Francisco.

Mr. Daley presided over Chicago’s shift from a manufacturing economy to one based on the service industries and finance, keeping the city afloat and thriving as others in the Midwest faltered. He cloaked downtown in green, creating parks and environmentally friendly roofs, and planting flowers with a gardener’s touch.

He also tore down some of what his father built, sometimes literally. For instance, the first Mayor Daley built the high-rise public housing projects that became a model for the rest of the country. The second Mayor Daley began tearing down some of the largest projects — considering them a failed experiment in public housing — and many cities followed his example.

Chicago stalled in the mid-1980s, and the government broke down into what was known as the Council Wars, where white aldermen blocked the reform agenda of Harold Washington, the city’s first black mayor, turning City Hall into a tumultuous battleground of coarse racial politics. Even Mr. Daley’s critics concede that he did much to calm the racial strife, promoting minorities and women and gaining a reputation as someone who believes in diversity.

Despite both Daleys’ administrations being plagued by corruption, both are also credited with preventing Chicago from experiencing the ignominious slide of other Midwestern cities like Cleveland, Detroit and St. Louis. Coming out of the midcentury, Chicago was known mostly as hog butcher to the world.

Over the decades, the Daleys (and the fewer than a half-dozen intervening mayors) diversified the city, keeping it growing as comparable Rust Belt cities shrank. The elder Daley built O’Hare International Airport, securing Chicago’s place as a national transportation hub in the modern era, as it had been in the age of railroads. The younger Daley expanded O’Hare, a mission that continues to this day.

In 2009, Mr. Daley suffered what was perhaps his most significant recent defeat not in an election but when Chicago lost its bid to host the 2016 Olympic Summer Games. He emerged globally as the city’s promoter in chief and suffered a blow when Chicago was among the first cities eliminated.

Prior to serving as mayor, Mr. Daley served in the Illinois Senate and then as the Cook County State’s Attorney. He also served as the 11th Ward Democratic committeeman after his father died.

Perhaps the very definition of a strong mayor with almost absolute command, Mr. Daley leaves no apparent political heirs. He was widely expected to seek a seventh term without serious opposition. Few had been willing to challenge him.

In 2010, President Obama gave his blessing for Mr. Emanuel, his chief of staff, to pursue the race for mayor.

Mr. Daley and Mr. Emanuel are Democrats, political allies and personal friends. Long ago, Mr. Emanuel raised money for one of Mr. Daley’s campaigns. Though Mr. Daley never publicly chose sides in the mayoral race, he is widely believed to have given a tacit nod to Mr. Emanuel.

Mr. Daley said that although the news media and others might seek some hidden reason for his decision, there was none. “In the end, this is a personal decision,” he said. “No more, no less.”

Chicagoans in political circles said they believed him.

In '92, Daley decided to tear down the projects and force the affects of concentrated poverty out from Chicago's core. That's what residents of the city know and understand as the driver behind Daley's housing policy. Have an article from the National Housing Institute which quickly summarizes the history of this and the impact of HOPE VI:

http://www.nhi.org/online/issues/138/chicago.html

quote:

A year after she left Chicago’s notorious Robert Taylor Homes public housing development, 30-year-old Lee-Lee Henderson said she was ready to return. “I’d rather live in Robert Taylor,” she answered when asked whether she would prefer to live among private-market neighbors or public housing residents. A curious reply when one considers that popular and academic opinion has written off high-rise public housing as harmful for poor families. Yet this single mother of two, who has lived most of her life in public housing, says quite confidently that she prefers to inhabit the dark, distressed corridors of Robert Taylor. Sitting in the house that she moved into after leaving Robert Taylor, where rats are coming up through the vent from the basement, and where the landlord has repeatedly refused to make repairs, it is easy to understand why. Soon after stating her desire to return to Robert Taylor, Henderson says, “It was not supposed to be this way. They told us they were tearing down the buildings ’cause we would have a better life. I’m still waiting.”

Henderson is the poster child for the Chicago Housing Authority’s (CHA) ambitious “Plan for Transformation” – which seeks to demolish thousands of units of the city’s public housing stock. She works 20 hours a week, pays her rent on time and receives government assistance in the form of food stamps and health care. The CHA Web site and promotional materials prominently feature women like Henderson. They are the souls to whom the federal government and local housing authorities have promised a better life in return for signing on to the plan to demolish public housing. Henderson is emblematic of the tens of thousands of Chicago public housing tenants who have apparently suffered from isolated project living.

Under the “Plan for Transformation,” the CHA will tear down the eyesore high rises of Henderson’s community and other “severely distressed” developments around the city – approximately 20,000 units – and move tenants into the private market, where they will supposedly integrate seamlessly into the social mainstream.

Chicago is at the midpoint of this federally sponsored initiative. Three-quarters of the units slated for demolition have come down and the land is now being cleared for redevelopment by private developers handpicked by the Daley mayoral administration. The project tracts will be replaced with mixed-income housing, where some tenants will return to their original neighborhoods to live among middle- and upper-income renters and homeowners. Indeed, some of the families may exercise their “right to return” as early as 2005. Overall, roughly 75 percent of all CHA families have expressed an interest in returning to their old neighborhood. Yet, conservatively, fewer than 20 percent will be able to return because units for poor families do not meet demand and the eligibility rules for poor families are prohibitive. The Relocation Rights Contract, which specifies the rights of the CHA families and the obligations of the CHA, offers the right to return to all lease-compliant families but does not guarantee that all families displaced by redevelopment activity will be able to return to their original site. According to the contract, in order to be lease-compliant a public housing tenant should: 1) be current with rent or be in a payment agreement, 2) have no utility balance with the CHA or be in a payment agreement, 3) be in compliance with the CHA lease and 4) have a good housekeeping record.

In Chicago’s public housing, Henderson is in the majority because of her age and race, but, in addition to young African-American women, there are Russian and Chinese immigrants, disabled persons, senior citizens and veterans. Notwithstanding this diversity, Henderson represents families across the country who are struggling to find their place in a reconstituted public housing program. As public housing authorities shift from acting as builders and managers of housing to serving as asset managers in charge of distributing resources to prominent private developers, families like Henderson’s must rest their hopes on the ability of the free market to meet their demands for decent, safe, affordable housing.

Moving On Up
Much of the current effort to transform dilapidated public housing is the result of early-1990s government studies that questioned the viability of America’s public housing program. In 1989, Congress appointed the National Commission on Severely Distressed Public Housing to evaluate the state of U.S. public housing. The HOPE VI (Housing Opportunities for People Everywhere) program, created in 1992 as a result of the commission’s report, proposed the demolition, modernization and redevelopment of at least 86,000 public housing units over 10 years.

Although the program has enabled city governments to clear up poorly utilized lands and spur new public housing development, critics have charged that HOPE VI has paved the way for rapid demolition without building new units. As of 2003, HUD had approved about 135,000 units for demolition. This far surpasses the original goal proposed by the Commission, leading critics to charge that HOPE VI and other development initiatives offer municipalities an easy way to tear down low-income units without adequately replacing them.

Calls to end the nightmare of high-rise projects have a long history. Chicago’s Robert Taylor Homes received sharp criticism from architects, journalists, law enforcement officials and tenants themselves almost immediately after they were built in 1962. While St. Louis’ infamous Pruitt-Igoe development was demolished in the 1970s, it was only in the late 1980s that urban centers seriously considered a large-scale urban renewal program. City leaders wanted to accommodate a growing interest in urban living among white suburbanites, and they labored to find new sources of tax revenues. The strategically placed downtown and central city projects were the obvious targets. Their depressed land values and diminished tax base made them receptive to eminent domain and renewal initiatives that could replace the poor with upper-income constituents. In large cities like Baltimore, Boston, Atlanta, Los Angeles and Seattle, and smaller cities like Tucson and Albany, one can drive through inner-city streets and find stadiums, townhomes, research centers and single-family homes standing on land where public housing once stood.

The language of HOPE VI – and public housing transformation in general – did not, however, proceed from the premise of increasing city coffers. The ostensible motive was to end the isolation of tenants from the wider city. The supposed barriers were twofold. One, public housing tenants were deleteriously affected by living in areas of concentrated poverty, where schools were in poor shape, the local economy was sputtering and crime and gang activity were entrenched. With public housing labeled a failure, it seemed reasonable to send families to the private market with a rent subsidy – the Housing Choice Voucher. And two, public housing families were held back by their neighbors who, according to conventional wisdom, were dependent on welfare, had numerous social problems, lacked a mainstream work ethic and were a bad influence on one another. The prevailing idea was that, with vouchers, tenants could separate off from one another and meet new, employed, law-abiding neighbors.

Lee-Lee Henderson understood the reasons for the demolition of Robert Taylor. She believed the transformation plan was a legitimate opportunity to improve her life. It was not easy for her to relocate, despite the obvious problems in her community. Earning about $8,000 a year as a receptionist, she does not make enough to support her two children, so she has to rely on her neighbors and the local community. (Only about 10 percent of her neighbors work, and a similarly small percentage get less than $10,000 a year through government public assistance.)

In Robert Taylor, Henderson lived with her mother, who was not on the lease but who provided her free childcare. Several local storeowners offered her credit when she ran out of money for food and household items. And, in her building, she bartered with friends, exchanging a few diapers for a cup of sugar. As she often says, “Poor people help poor people. They have no one else, so they know how to help each other get by.” Leaving Robert Taylor in 2002 meant saying goodbye to neglectful police and violent gangs, but it also meant leaving behind all of these invisible social supports.

To date, the CHA has demolished 23 of the 28 buildings in Robert Taylor. Since the redevelopment began, the agency has not fulfilled its obligation to track relocating families, and its relocation efforts have not produced the planned results. Because CHA public housing stock has been home to many different types of residents, including undocumented residents and squatters, fears of homelessness and “lost” households abound. Several factors have contributed to the flawed relocation process: tenants’ tendencies to relocate into high-poverty African-American neighborhoods, counseling agencies relocating families into certain segregated areas, families’ limited exposure to Chicago’s more diverse middle-class neighborhoods, the limited capacity of the CHA and limited social services information being provided to families. Available information suggests that some families are unable to find private-market housing and so are consolidated into other public housing developments around the city. According to our Robert Taylor Relocation Study (a long-term study tracking a large sample of Chicago public housing residents), in 2003 24 percent of families were consolidated. Tracking is the cornerstone of the public housing transformation, because only those families who remain connected to the housing authority will be given notification of social services, relocation assistance and, of course, the date at which they can return to their new home, in their old neighborhood.

Those CHA families who have managed to move to the private market have had varying experiences. Conservatively, based on our research, about 20 to 25 percent boast dramatic improvements in their living situation. This is not insignificant, but it certainly is not stellar, given that since 1995, over 80 percent of tenants have moved to areas with at least a 30 percent minority population and greater than 24 percent poverty. This is a violation of the CHA’s own relocation objective of preventing further segregation and poverty concentration. (It has also led residents to file a lawsuit against the agency.) In theory the voucher units undergo an extensive inspection process so that families do not face conditions similar to the projects that they leave behind. But in the poor, segregated areas, as was Henderson’s experience, slum landlords make quick-and-dirty repairs, and the units are never rehabbed properly.

A recent report by the Residents’ Journal and The Chicago Reporter found that CHA tenants were moving into neighborhoods that had higher crime rates than the projects, and that CHA failed to secure the developments during the transformation process, leading to escalations in criminal activity.

Whither the Light and the Tunnel?
Soon, Lee-Lee Henderson will receive a notice that redevelopment of mixed-income housing will commence at the Robert Taylor Homes. If she meets all eligibility requirements, in addition to being lease-compliant, she may exercise her right to return to the neighborhood and a new home. The “site selection” criteria are strict, and somewhat unrealistic for public housing families. The mandatory 30-hours-per-week work requirement will disqualify the vast majority of tenants, who have childcare and family obligations, notwithstanding the fact that there are few jobs available for those with minimal education and work experience. In addition, residents must submit to mandatory drug testing, have no record of rent and utility delinquency and adhere to rules against taking in friends and relatives.

Perhaps the most interesting part of the transformation process is that residents are returning to the neighborhoods around the projects. Nostalgia may be a factor, but the social supports they spent years, if not decades, building up are not easy to cast aside. They patronize the same churches – where pastors give them free food and job assistance. They commute with their children for miles to attend the schools around the projects. They have trusting relationships with teachers who understand their plight. In their old neighborhood, shopkeepers still give them credit and hospital staff may find them free prescription drugs. Our study shows that 54 percent of the residents visit their old community at least once a week.

Through the same research, we found that 76 percent of a tenant’s social network is comprised of other public housing inhabitants. Because most of these families are in their old neighborhood, it’s not so surprising to learn that families are going back to their project communities in order to find support and to make ends meet.

Clearly, much of the federal legislation supporting public housing transformation is modeled on an individual nuclear family that will move to a middle-class neighborhood, find a job, eventually buy a home and invest in the market. Neither the HOPE VI program, nor the legislation supporting it, takes into account that poor people live in networks and that they are materially attached to their communities. What government needs to do, at all levels, is rethink and realign plans intended to transform public housing policy. This is wishful thinking, however. The Bush administration has fetishized “homeownership” as the solution to America’s housing needs and has continued the Clinton-era work of dismantling the country’s subsidized housing program.

The implementation of HOPE VI in Chicago shows serious structural problems. Not enough new units are being constructed. Families still cannot find housing outside the poorest, racially segregated communities and, out of sheer frustration, many are dropping out of the public housing system. These problems do not invalidate the benefits that families can experience in the private market, but they do show that families who relocate leave behind more than just the projects. And that tenants, like Lee-Lee Henderson, are still waiting for the promise – that life outside of public housing will be new and improved – to be fulfilled.

What did this mean on the ground? Communities bordering or containing pockets of concentrated poverty contained family units and individuals with social capital and relations to those displaced beginning in '92. Real-world: If you got nowhere to go, you go live with family in the best community available, especially if you have children and want them to get the best possible education.

In suburbs which had controlled and stable rates of human develop, the sudden influx of individuals with disrupted social networks, support systems, and employment opportunities at the same cost-point meant that formerly middle-class black neighborhoods in predominantly working-class and lower middle class white communities transitioned from decreasing rates of concentrated poverty to rapidly and unexpected increasing rates of concentrated poverty. This is how you end up with a Ferguson, MO, Chicago Heights, IL, West Garfield Park, IL, North Lawndale, IL, Park Forest, IL, and Waukegan, IL: boomers understood what occured to them and, minds filled with their parents' stories of the family's white flight, began to flee those outer-ring, auto-centric, commuter communities. Individuals at higher human development brackets understood the process and began to gentrify areas surrounding Chicago's Loop where social bonds, family networks, or several other incentivating factors existed to capture them in the revitalization of the city; for others, flight further outwards began.

One interesting sidenote of this process and example of it in practice for non-poverty black families is a Federal civil rights lawsuit in 1995/96 due to continued redlining practices which prohibited black middle and professional class families from residing beyond certain spatial boundries, such as west od Interstate 55 in Will, Cook, and Kankakee Counties, Illinois.

The elimination of this dividing line and defto end of segregation resulted in black flight from the communities which were absorbing individuals displaced by demolition of housing projects, which created a feedback loop that accelerated white flight and concentrated political control of communities and enforcement of previous standards of social order into spatially-separated neighborhoods. In Ferguson, MO, white and black families in non-concentrated poverty neighborhoods, when examined on the block level, genuinely have no issues with residing closely and in semi-integrated settings; "I have no problem with black people, its the niggers I hate" is a common refrain and a genuine sentiment expressed by individuals residing in non-concentrated poverty block units spatially proximate to, yet perceived spatially divided from, concentrated poverty blocks and neighborhoods. Unsurprisingly, this sentiment is found expressed across boomer demographics of mixed-race with similar class backgrounds and block levels of human development, when phrased appropriately.

This similarity speaks to a common, underlying dynamic: the perception of capital loss due to association with stereotypes of concentrated poverty communities. Basically, this is how you end up with Ferguson, MO, and why Ferguson's issues are not, by any measure available, unique in America.

With millenial generations, the increased rates of exposure to different races during formative years has manifested in reduced rates of association of race as the primary factor determining an individual's likely character traits, which manifests in an increased willingness to move into low cost, minority-majority communities with spatially variable rates of concentrated poverty.

So, what have I seen in Chicago? Teardown of the projects resulted in migration via least-barrier system dynamics and increased perception of suburban, auto-orientated communities as "going to poo poo [the niggers]". Whereas there existed a positive rate of total networth over $1 million individuals produced by schools in communities with racially stable demographics between 1950 and 1994 in Chicago suburbs which benefited in quantified capital migration from urban white flight, the rates of individuals with comprable net worth produced by those schools post-1994 are drastically decreased for millenial graduates as compared to rates at similar ages for boomer and pre-1994 graduates.

I can't show you data for this; I could take you on a drivethrough of precisely where I'm talking about in Chicagoland and point out the history of where and why what had occured. I can suggest that you build a political donor database and track highschool classes of all individuals contained within so that you can maximize your contributions. On the ground, I'd recommend speaking with teachers in public education who began their employment pre-2000 in these transitional communities and discuss with them their perceptions on the quality of education provision and human development capacity of their student body over time.

Going back to the OP, these neighborhoods are not age-friendly and have an aging boomer base with decreased quality of healthcare provision available and decreased perceived general safety of community. You mention actual rates of crime: those don't matter, what matters is perceived rate of crime.

Does this address the issue in sufficient enough detail to understand the social dynamics which I attempted to summarize in the OP?

• Locked thread