Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

Shithouse Dave posted:

Seconding this. Fast food in general is better in Australia, but I didn't know what a really good small shop pizza was until Id been to the US. I've never been to italy though, so I kinda wanna reserve final judgement on pizza until I've been.

Let your final judgment fly: pizza in Italy is pretty much in its own category, imo. Not to say that it's better or worse overall, but the ingredients and methodology are totally different. The ingredients differ not only in variety, but also in quality- Italians don't gently caress around with that sort of thing- even most pedestrians buy their groceries daily, so their ingredients are always fresh, and don't even get me started on Italian cheese and meat. The methodology is similar prima facie, but something is distinct about the consistency of the bread, and it's rarely formed into a nice circle with a ring of crust (this depends on the region) but will instead look a little amoebic and lie flat. The bread is also often burnt slightly, and the whole dough-sauce-cheese strata paradigm isn't the norm.

What I'm trying to say is that it's apples and oranges, and that you're totally qualified to say that American mom and pop pizza shops rule their league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

ColtMcAsskick posted:

It's mandatory for all people in Australia to attend at least one Cricket test match ever year, so I hope you like 5 days of the sport equivalent of grueling trench-warfare. Also, it comes with obscure rules and incomprehensible terminology that not even the players properly understand.

In reality no-one actually enjoys it, but it's been in the law books since federation and the laws are slow to change here.

Cricket and Snooker are both things that I've observed briefly and decided to never try to understand.

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013
Also, can anyone recommend a good Pho place in Melbourne? I've tried a few, but have been striking out. I used to live near Philly's Little Saigon, and have been spoiled by Pho Ha (6th and Washington, check it out if you're ever in the area, because Jesus Christ).

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

In case you haven't worked it out already, you can add -o to just about anything. Schnitto (schnitzel), bottlo (liquor store), cunto (a good friend), traino (train station), dero (derelict, or bum), abbo (a native Australian), servo (gas station), drongo (a stupid person), wallabo (a small kangaroo), muzzo (an islamic person), jizzo (a house of ill repute), hospo (a person who works in hospitality), tinno (a can of beer), seppo (an American person)

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
docklands has a few vietnamese places. I doubt youll ever find your way to springvale but its the level best for all tjings azn

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Slugnoid posted:

docklands has a few vietnamese places. I doubt youll ever find your way to springvale but its the level best for all tjings azn

its true, my asian weed dealer lives in springvale and i always get some good dumplings when i go down there to see him

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

praxis posted:

They will assume you have witnessed approximately 23 brutal murders and are, somehow, carrying a gun on you at all times.

No, thats only Baltimore tourists. But I assume other americans think that about Baltimore folks too.

(A friend of mine from baltimore told me he thinks its really funny when I complain about angry drunks keeping people awake on my street. He reckons where he lives, they worry more about the drive-bys keeping people awake)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Neurosis posted:

pre-mixed drinks are even more disgustingly expensive ($70 for 24 of them is a bargain)

this is partly due to a government a few years back taxing them specifically then retracting the tax when it had no effect but prices were sticky and went nowhere

since i'm a type 1 diabetic and can only have the zero sugar varieties in practice I just end up mixing my own drinks and getting drunker than i would otherwise

Hip flask of whiskey and just order diet soft drinks. Show them your diabetes bracelet and they'll never get sus.

steve cardigan posted:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Bringing a 20F rated bag, hope it cuts it.

Okay, here goes: what're some of the better beers in Australia?

Coopers Pale Ale is something you can't go wrong with, its probably the best of the mass produced beers, and holds its own with most craft beers. Of the craft beers, just see what they got.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 5, 2015

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
rugby league sucks, rugby union is great, afl owns

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Slugnoid posted:

Or just get off the train in Footscray.

Don't get off the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXbX0TYB2Ic

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Shithouse Dave posted:

AFL is bullshit footy that only people from Melbourne enjoy. It's so bullshit that you get a point for almost kicking into the goal. Go to a league or union game for real sport, or go to an AFL game anyway if you like doughy bums in really short shorts.

(sorry lolie, I like you but I just never could get into AFL)

I think it's got a lot to do with which code you grew up with. I grew up in Victoria and then moved to Perth (so I grew up with old VFL rules, too), so I didn't come across ARL until I moved to Canberra in my twenties. To this day, I still understand gridiron better than I understand ARL.

Schnitzel was pretty much always weiner schnitzel (veal) here for a long time. It does pretty much refer to any crumbed, boneless, flattened meat now but that wasn't always the case.

It could well have changed since I lived there, but Canberra used to have great Vietnamese and Lebanese restaurants (crappy Chinese, though).

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

steve cardigan posted:

Also, can anyone recommend a good Pho place in Melbourne? I've tried a few, but have been striking out. I used to live near Philly's Little Saigon, and have been spoiled by Pho Ha (6th and Washington, check it out if you're ever in the area, because Jesus Christ).

Victoria street between Abbotsford and Richmond is a kind of little vietnam. You can get Pho all down that street and its good. Also probably the biggest open air heroin market in australia.

I used to work right at the centre of the heroin strip and the public toilets had a guy working 70 hours a week hauling smackheads out of the stalls.

Isaac fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 5, 2015

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

I grew up in NZ so I'm all about the union, but when I lived in Australia, I was working in broadcast tech and I worked on a bunch of league stuff and didn't mind it. Sydney doesn't get into the AFL so much, I think. Or at least, I wasn't required to care about it.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shithouse Dave posted:

I grew up in NZ so I'm all about the union, but when I lived in Australia, I was working in broadcast tech and I worked on a bunch of league stuff and didn't mind it. Sydney doesn't get into the AFL so much, I think. Or at least, I wasn't required to care about it.

WA and VIC (NT maybe?): AFL
Everywhere else is public school league and private school union

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shithouse Dave posted:

In case you haven't worked it out already, you can add -o to just about anything. abbo (a native Australian), muzzo (an islamic person),

Probably don't want to use these two if you don't want to be a racist derro.

Please don't want to be that :(

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
You will also look like a fool, the correct term is "Muzza"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Isaac posted:

a muzza isn't a muslim, a muzza is this

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=muzza

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

And tinny.

Expect people to corrupt your name in some way, too.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

aw man, I was hoping Stevo here would be in the boozo at smoko smashing a tinno and looking like a drongo in front of his wifo and their relos, but you're right, learning what you can't -o is as important as learning what you can-o.

also yes do not say the racist things, it is not nice. You'll hear them tho. :(

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Shithouse Dave posted:

also yes do not say the racist things, it is not nice. You'll hear them tho. :(

It's going to take the poor guy a year to work out what's a slur and what isn't.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Isaac posted:

WA and VIC (NT maybe?): AFL
Everywhere else is public school league and private school union

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around and only NSW & Queensland (and the ACT) give much of a poo poo about League/Rugby. Everywhere else is about Aussie Rules.
Although I suppose it all depends on whether you consider SA & TAS as worthy of consideration (probably not).

Lolie posted:

It's going to take the poor guy a year to work out what's a slur and what isn't.

Just assume that everything is a slur and that everyone else thinks it's perfectly acceptable.

Bill Posters fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
One question OP

Why would you move to the surface of the sun that is also a hell gate to the poison death dimension

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

strap on revenge posted:

rugby league sucks, rugby union is great, afl owns

Agreed except swap Rugby union and AFL.

Also OP, Australia just won the Asian cup in soccer, so also expect to be able to make small talk about that on top of rugby, AFL and cricket. V8 racing too if you are hanging with idiots.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Isaac posted:

Victoria street between Abbotsford and Richmond is a kind of little vietnam. You can get Pho all down that street and its good. Also probably the biggest open air heroin market in australia.

I used to work right at the centre of the heroin strip and the public toilets had a guy working 70 hours a week hauling smackheads out of the stalls.

It hasn't been an open air heroin bazaar for months. The cops did a thing and pushed it all into the back streets. Actually, if you go there now there are cops everywhere. Cars patrolling around (there's probably at least 3 on continuous daytime patrol just in that area), foot patrols (ALWAYS in pairs or more, never a lone copper but that's standard practice, armed and with stab vests etc). Besides, the drug problem is all ice now. The store owners are realising how good they had it when it was just heroin because the addicts would just sit there all dopey or shamble around, but the ice addicts are loving nuts.

But there are good pho places there, and a whole lot of other restaurants (look inside before you go into a place, only go to a place where locals are eating). And a bunch of stores and supermarkets you can get specialty Asian stuff.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
If you see Tony ABbot on the streets you're legally allowed (and required) to punch him in his cunto

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
you'll miss the cheap alcohol in the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

December Octopodes posted:

you'll miss the cheap alcohol in the states

Aussie alcohol tax is weird. In that, along with following weird conservative social outrage (like with the alcopops stuff), tax is much higher for spirits and beer than it is for wine. It keeps wineries in business I guess, which is good, because there are heaps of wineries in Victoria and South Australia which are great to visit. But yeah, you can do all sorts of D&D-type arguments about how it introduces biases in the system and makes other businesses suffer excessively in comparison.

But blah, that's boring, wine is cheap in stores but expensive in restaurants.

That's another point here. Any wine you see on a restaurant wine list you can buy for a mere fifth that price (or better) at the nearest Dan Murphy's. Buuuuut...it's how they make money, so give us your cash american scum!

• Locked thread