Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Idg why people lump him in with hitler, pol pot etc. He'd be an okay president today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Ppl just hate him cuz he's the ultimate manlet in all of history

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
He killed all the alphas in France which led to the remaining betas being cucked by Germans for two centuries, that's about it.

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
Wait, actually that's what's happening to Germany right now. Don't they have a female Fuhrer?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Ya but that's not like, genocide or anything.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Actually he's not even on the level of small-time dictators like pinochet or franco imo.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
one of the first things he did after seizing power was re-enslaving all the black slaves the revolution just emancipated.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

one of the first things he did after seizing power was re-enslaving all the black slaves the revolution just emancipated.

You are thinking of Thomas Jefferson

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Digiwizzard posted:

That's what they get for living in France to begin with

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

He was a brilliant, noble warrior, akin to Alexander and Hannibal.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Robo Reagan posted:

That's what they get for living in France to begin with

they were mainly living in haiti and other colonies though

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
the worst part is that the re-enslavement was completely pointless in the long run. the idea was presumably to get the slave colonies generating some cash for france's death spiral economy (and also to appease josephine who came from a family of slave owning plantation owners), but it turns out you can't actually make any money from overseas trade when britain is running a massive blockade. so all it did was make napoleon look like a massive hypocrite on civil rights and cause the now re-enslaved black people to revolt like crazy. in the end napoleon just sells 90% of french overseas possessions to the US at bargain prices so he won't have to deal with them anymore.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Did he not start as the popularly elected leader after deposing the monarch but then just spiraled into his own extravagant opulence and basically crowned himself an emperor or something? Basically adopting the old extravagance of the monarchy?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

But the Pope was there

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

I was okay with him being friends with Pedro.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
I liked when he went into space

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
What about the thing he did in Winter with Russia?

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
disagree OP

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I agree, OP. That little Corsican psychopath was legit.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Robespierre in fact did nothing wrong. He saved the revolution from unvirtuous traitors and gave the biggest sacrifice - himself.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

de_dust posted:

Robespierre in fact did nothing wrong. He saved the revolution from unvirtuous traitors and gave the biggest sacrifice - himself.

Also agreed - gently caress the nobility and their sympathizers.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
He wasn't short for a man of his era, he'd hang out with his vanguard who were France's cream of the crop so would appear comparatively short. Aside from having the hubris to invade Russia he seems ok to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

quote:

Under Napoleon Bonaparte, France took back [Louisiana Purchase] territory in 1800 in the hope of re-establishing an empire in North America. A slave revolt in Haiti [by the awesome Toussaint Louverture] and an impending war with Britain, however, led French officials to abandon these plans and sell the entire territory to the United States, which had originally sought only the purchase of New Orleans and its adjacent lands.

U.S. went over there like this

And came back like this.

• Locked thread