Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
What is the deal with everyone saying TV Tropes is an amazing website where you can get lost for hours? It's never kept me on there for more that 5 minutes.

They even have a xkcd comic about it.
http://xkcd.com/609/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
It's okay for finding spoilers to stories that you hate and don't want to read and don't want others to read either.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
those people are weird and strange

at least according to this troper

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
TVtropes is the stupidest loving bullshit

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
I think the best trope on TV is F-Trope.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For real, I can't stand people who use TVtropes. I know, I know, why do I care so much. I love to hate stuff, that's all.

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
sweet the only thing i like better than tv tropes is xkcd

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Once again goatkcd proves to be an improvement over the original

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Chill la Chill posted:

Once again goatkcd proves to be an improvement over the original

I don't think this has ever not been true

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

neat.

Gunky Junket
Oct 30, 2014

by Ralp
TV Tropes can go get hosed; but I LOVE magic! Not that pull a rabbit outta ya hat bullshit, I mean that special magic.. that rocks.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Gunky Junket posted:

TV Tropes can go get hosed; but I LOVE magic! Not that pull a rabbit outta ya hat bullshit, I mean that special magic.. that rocks.

what the gently caress is wrong with taking a rabbit out of a hat huh

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rabbits are small but do not belong in hats, unlike cats

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
TV Tropes is p entertaining.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tvtropes/the-tv-tropes-revitalization-project

Successful enough I guess.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
here's a short biography of adolf hitler with links to more tv tropes

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/AdolfHitler?from=Main.AdolfHitler

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
a lot of the "tvtropes is addicting" stuff happened before the dark times i think

i remember that site being pretty addicting and then now i go on there and it's like WELL IN THIS FANFICTION FOR A WEBCOMIC

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
I hope that someday, I, too, will have a Crowning Moment of Awesome.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Quellar posted:

I hope that someday, I, too, will have a Crowning Moment of Awesome.

In the Ben 10: Ultimate Alien/DC Universe Crossover "Lost Ones" Vilgax hires Slade to kill Ben, he decides to go after Gwen For the Evulz and she fights him on an even playing field, even though she gets the crap beat out of her. She counters his Breaking Speech about her guilt for killing the Forever Knights who murdered Kevin, culminating in an Actor Allusion with the words, "Shut up! Just shut up and leave me alone! I’m not some sad little girl you can control, you Manipulative Bastard!". Shortly after she gives Slade an Eye Scream with a pen through his empty right eye socket, and that was after she kneecapped him with a golf club. Considering the fact that Gwen and Terra are both played by Ashley Johnson, it's just so much more awesome.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FordPRefectLL posted:

a lot of the "tvtropes is addicting" stuff happened before the dark times i think

i remember that site being pretty addicting and then now i go on there and it's like WELL IN THIS FANFICTION FOR A WEBCOMIC

Troper Tales is a massive block of text of stdh and people posting their "I've got a great idea for a novel/webcomic DO NOT STEAL"

It's like if the wiki editing arguments were given their own page as "notable".

quote:

In Daria fanfic, two OC's are living, breathing CMoAs every time they show their faces! Jim Vitale (especially when written by Scissors MacGillicutty) and Black Majesty (when written by Roentgen). The pinnacle of the Big Bad, both are superb examples of the Manipulative Bastard who lives by The Plan- and while Black Majesty is probably Like a Badass out of Hell, Vitale is a fusion of Bunny-Ears Lawyer and Badass Normal with his own CatchPhrases (anyone who he calls 'asshat' is in for a world of 'ow', people he calls 'sport' should watch their backs, and as he says, 'the law is just what lawyers do with it'), his own version of the Kubrick Stare, a Compelling Voice and takes any woman in sight that he wants - because All Girls Want Bad Boys, and he's a amped-up version of Draco in Leather Pants.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 28, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

many years ago it used to be a fairly cool and interesting encyclopedia of fiction cliches, before the weeaboos and tumblrs (who were always there but used to have no power) took over the place

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i googled troper tales and apparently tvtropes own community voted to shut it down

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of magic for some reason Kim Possible fanfiction seems to carry a curse that kills its writers.

quote:

Commander Argus

Recommended by theschwab34, The Exegesis Fairy
Pairings: Mostly Kim/Ron.
Sadly, he has died, but his stories will live forever.

cpneb

Recommended by Dragonicia, theschwab34
Pairings: Mostly Kim/Ron and Wade/Joss, though there are gems of others pairings throughout his series including some rather cracktastic ones.
This author was one of the big authors of the fandom. His stories, like he was, are full of heart, humor, and a touch of naughtiness. There are several universes that he has created, each one having a deep history. His ability to convey and evoke emotion are second to none. You would be hard pressed to not find something in his writings that you like. Sadly, he died April 2010 and with him went some of the heart of the Kimmunity.

Screaming Phoenix

Recommended by TheSchwab34
Pairings: Mostly Kim/Ron
Sadly he has passed away but his writings will forever keep his spirit alive. A huge Kim/Ron shipper.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

pentyne posted:

Speaking of magic for some reason Kim Possible fanfiction seems to carry a curse that kills its writers.

wonderful

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
tvtropes AND xkcd in one thread????

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gay Roads posted:

tvtropes AND xkcd in one thread????

together at last

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

:)

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It's fun to read about themes and similarities that occur across many different works of fiction. I don't care about anime or whatever so I just don't read that poo poo. I don't even know where people find all that "this troper" stuff.

AMINAL
Dec 6, 2014
eh

scp-foundation is where it's at. at least for wiki type sites

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
it's neat, what a neat thing

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It's fun to read about themes and similarities that occur across many different works of fiction. I don't care about anime or whatever so I just don't read that poo poo. I don't even know where people find all that "this troper" stuff.

if u want that kind of thing just read some joseph campbell instead of checking out what a brony wrote about xanadu gambits in his fan fiction of a fetish webcomic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I went there for the first time because of this thread. I clicked on one trope. Oh...that's exactly what I expected. Ctrl-W.

• Locked thread