Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Before people start freaking out about :filez:, please read below.

Back in the spring of 2012, 2k sports put out MLB 2K12 on a large number of platforms, including Windows. This was basically the last baseball sim published on PC to date as the 2k13 version was console only, then the studio stopped making the series. I've had a physical copy of this game for years that I had the good fortune to find at Gamestop, and it's one of those games that I play regularly in small bursts. I do not have a 360/XBone or a PS3/4 and have minimal desire to buy one, so my access to modern baseball games is limited.

The game is not available digitally from anywhere so far as I know, and physical copies are very rare and tremendously (upwards of $80) expensive. I keep the game in its own case, but since I play it frequently for an hour or so at a time it moves in and out a lot, and I am worried about harming the disc which already has a few scratches on it. I have tried making a copy of the game on a DVD-DL or ripping the image and mounting it in Daemon Tools or the like to avoid having to handle the disc, but those are never recognized as media. There is a 1.0 no-CD crack out there, but the 1.0 version has a serious and bone-headed bug where the game won't start unless you change the Windows clock to a date during the 2012 baseball season when games were being played. This is really annoying and easy to forget to do. Also, if you don't change the clock back after a play session then it causes huge problems with other software. There is a 1.1 patch to fix this, but there is no crack for it and I can't install the patch and start the game without the original disc in the drive.

I'm sorry if this is verboten and I hope that the mods won't smash me for it, but I just want to be able to play the patched version of the game without issue while protecting my disc. I would be happy to PayPal some money to someone to do what would probably be pretty simple as I can get the 1.1 .exe and the 1.0 crack if need be. I've tried everything that I can think of as mentioned above, but if anyone else has any suggestions that will allow me to play the patched version of the game while protecting the disc, I am all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
You might need to emulate the disc's copy protection in Daemon Tools to get your backed-up image to work. To be able to do this, you first need to mount the disc to a SCSI Virtual Drive, not a DT Virtual Drive. The type of device you're running is found in the drive list at the bottom of the Daemon Tools window between the square brackets of the device label. There's an icon on the toolbar that lets you add a SCSI drive if you need one. You should now be able to go to Preferences (cog icon on toolbar) > Advanced and be able to select the checkboxes here. I did a quick search and MLB 2K12 apparently uses SecuROM, so enable that.

I attempted to run through this process on some disc images I had lying around but ran into issues adding a SCSI drive, so I'm not sure if there are any other steps which are necessary to emulate the copy protection. I got the instructions online; hopefully they'll be enough for you to try this solution.

Good luck.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You could also try other CD emulation software.

It could also be set in the registry to automatically look for the disc on a certain drive letter, I doubt it but I remember this being an issue way way back when. Check the Registry options for the game for something like 'DISK' or something

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem

JustJeff88 posted:

There is a 1.0 no-CD crack out there, but the 1.0 version has a serious and bone-headed bug where the game won't start unless you change the Windows clock to a date during the 2012 baseball season when games were being played. This is really annoying and easy to forget to do. Also, if you don't change the clock back after a play session then it causes huge problems with other software. There is a 1.1 patch to fix this, but there is no crack for it and I can't install the patch and start the game without the original disc in the drive.

If you don't get anywhere circumventing the copy protection, you could potentially write a batch or powershell script to change the system date to 2012, launch the game, then change the system date back to the current year again.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

gallop w/a boner posted:

If you don't get anywhere circumventing the copy protection, you could potentially write a batch or powershell script to change the system date to 2012, launch the game, then change the system date back to the current year again.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/run_as_date.html

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
CloneCD can create backups of games that use SecuROM and keeps the copy protection in tact, so you won't be breaking the copy protection, you'll just be creating a backup. Will still need the disc inserted to play.

edit: Or use UnSecuROM to remove SecuROM from the game. Once again, you'll still need the disc inserted to play it, but backup copies will work once you've removed the DRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgy Graphite
Jan 25, 2011

I JSUT WANTED TO BBE A MODERATOR
I'll build one for you for $22, OP

• Locked thread