Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Something Witty
Jan 24, 2009
Fun Shoe
Duke Nukem 3D. A Black Mesa-esque faithful remake was apparently quite far into development by the company that bought out the 3DRealms name/catalogue, before it was killed by Gearbox in an IP lawsuit.

Repeating Deus Ex, but the sheer scale of that game would be nigh impossible with modern production values. And System Shock 2, and Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Razakai posted:

The fact that DK2 has never had a sequel or even a worthy successor is criminal.

I'd lump Theme Hospital into the same category, both it and the original Dungeon Keeper came out around the same time and were both great games.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Parasite Eve 2 would be cool.

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Phetz posted:

For an original choice though, I'd probably go with Einhander. I loved the poo poo out of that game on PSX and having it all in HD at 60 FPS with achievements would be so cool.

Einhander was amazing. I would play the crap outta that.

But my top choice would be Total Annihilation. That game changed my world.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Quarantine was a 3D0 game nobody played because it was mostly terrible but it was also incredibly awesome.

you drove around as a taxi driver in an open world post-apocalyptic quarantined city. you could outfit your taxi with weapons, the best being a passenger eject seat for annoying passengers and the missions where you had to pick up a passenger and eject them onto spikes or whatever. it also had a really good punk rock soundtrack.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Homeworld Cataclysm, but it'll never happen cause the source code is lost :(

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

jerkstore77 posted:

Quarantine was a 3D0 game nobody played because it was mostly terrible but it was also incredibly awesome.

you drove around as a taxi driver in an open world post-apocalyptic quarantined city. you could outfit your taxi with weapons, the best being a passenger eject seat for annoying passengers and the missions where you had to pick up a passenger and eject them onto spikes or whatever. it also had a really good punk rock soundtrack.

I have very fond memories of that soundtrack. Weren't they all indie/unknown Australian bands or something? Anyway I seem to recall you could play the (PC) game disc in a regular CD player after you skipped the data track, so that was pretty sweet. Plus the game was probably fun.

edit: Welp, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MD5W-obdpY

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

FF12 IZJS. Yes, I know I can play it with emulation and a translation and make it look really pretty but it'd be cool to be able to play it on a dedicated system without having to gently caress with all that stuff.
This and Final Fantasy 9. Both games really pushed what their respective systems could do and they need HD remakes.

I'd also buy a 3-D version of FF6 even though the 3-D FF4 sucked. I have faith.

Edit: I'd also love a 3-D version of Chrono Trigger because it would look like Dragon Quest 8 and that would be awesome, but after what they did to Chrono Trigger DS with the unbelievably bad new content I have no faith.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
syndicate wars. dungeon keeper (1 & 2). dune 2. planetscape: torment. all of the great games from the 90's...

why has no one done this yet (to make themselves a fortune)? :smith:...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd have to go with Einhander or Chrono Cross. Both would benefit from HD improvements and are rad games. The Colony Wars series would be great, too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Endorph posted:

Soul Nomad & The World Eaters. A very good SRPG by NIS, with fun gameplay, a neat plot, actually pretty good dub voice acting, but let down by bad presentation (all of the cutscenes are just static images on backgrounds, with very occasionally the in-game sprites doing their attack animations. The static sprites don't even switch based on emotions like in some RPGs, they're all just sitting around grim-faced while laughing and joking with each other), some poorly thought out mechanics (whoever thought squad size should be up to random chance is an idiot), and a complete lack of a post-game, something other NIS games are famed for.

I feel like an HD remake could solve at least two of those problems, if not all three. Unfortunately Disgaea is the only thing NIS makes that sells, so we're unlikely to see a remake of it.

I haven't gotten that far, but I was under the impression that Demon Path was the postgame content.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Thief 1 and 2.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Blast Corps.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kenzie posted:

Thief 1 and 2.

A lot of Thief is the Dark Engine's sound propagation. THIAF showed that even now a game released in 1998 is still the benchmark for sound in stealth games.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
museum madness

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
MAFIA, as long as it is a re-master and not a remake. Aka everything is the same, just with new models, and the usual things like high rez menus and such. A masterful game that still puts a lot to shame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Here, I'll start:

FF12 IZJS. Yes, I know I can play it with emulation and a translation and make it look really pretty but it'd be cool to be able to play it on a dedicated system without having to gently caress with all that stuff.

This is my answer, too.

I mean, poo poo, they'd barely have to do anything. IZJS already has widescreen support and if you emulate it and upscale it to a higher resolution everything already looks amazing. All they'd need to do is whip up a high-res UI and port it to whatever the hell consoles they're going to release it on and it's golden.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Chuckie Egg.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Last King posted:

syndicate wars. dungeon keeper (1 & 2). dune 2. planetscape: torment. all of the great games from the 90's...

why has no one done this yet (to make themselves a fortune)? :smith:...

We did get Dune 2000!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
...Curse of Monkey Island?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Darklands

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tomba

...or Resident Evil 2

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
God Hand and Gotcha Force

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Megaman Legends 1 and 2. Give 'em Metroid Prime quality graphics but keep the style the same, wouldn't be hard at all.

Shining Force 1/2/CD/Gaiden/3. THE GOOD ONES. The TRPG ones. We need new Shining Force!

Landstalker. Because it was fantastic.

Do a 'dragon warrior' collection which consists of the first 3-4 games redone in higher quality graphics, similar to the way they've redone FF2 and FF3 for the DS. No voice acting required.

Likewise I would love to see the Wing Commander games, EVERY GODDAMN ONE OF THEM, redone with new graphics and the same story because I heart wing commander.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Defender of the Crown.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
There was this old Star Wars game for the PS1 I remember playing a lot as a kid. It was really awful (It might have even still used passwords?) and the whole game was clunky as hell, but the sheer madness of it was great. There's a part where you run from a stampede of space animals to fight a slug to the death, there are sumo wrestler battle droids, and when you're on the city planet you surf on taxis. It's very, very loosely based on Episode 1, I think.

I just want to see a remake of that because of how dumb and crazy it was and I'd like to play it again. Also the surprisingly in depth pod racing game.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Chaos Legion.
Wild Arms 1 & 2 in 2D and without the butchered music and dialogue like Alter Code F.
WWF No Mercy preferably with a few upgrades and updates.
Breath of Fire 3, 4, and maybe 5 even though I don't really like those games.
Final Fantasy 6 with 2D.
FF7, 8, and 9 but not to PS4 standards or anything, just some model, texture and resolution improvements.
Battle Engine Aquila.
How to be be a Complete Bastard.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Syphon Filter. Give it an HD re-release and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Battlefield 1942 and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

I loved the goofiness of BF42 and particularly enjoyed a huge game where I could use the subs off of the islands. MOH:AA was great fun, simple shooter with decent weapons and nice maps. The modern day shooters just seem to miss something.

Both had a very active modding scene - so there's that too.

• Locked thread