Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

gahahha love this ... love this pic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
should I read the book again

naem
May 29, 2011

immolationsex posted:

way to miss the point of being elf Orlando bloom

E: lol your phone auto corrected Orlando to be capitalized but not bloom too

The point of being Orlando elf bloom is "shooting people" and also "backflips" which are also p good

He may also have unintentionally started the early 2000's tights and ugg boots trend lol

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have profound autism. I am a deeply autistic man. Every month I get a money check from the government because I can't work and spasmodically squeak out the ages and heights of fictional characters in public. I wandered a block away from my house today and am now lost. Theoretically I could use my phone's internet to find home but I don't like to browse away from Something Awful. Please help.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Smaug pretty cool.
Billy Connelly pretty cool.
Too many overly dramatic drawn out death scenes.
Popcorn was properly greasy with fake butter flavoured topping lube.

7/10

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Harime Nui posted:

Incidentally Gimli and Aragorn are about the same age, both are toddlers at the time The Hobbit takes place

Oh yeah that was the dumb loving poo poo

Legolas is sent to go find Strider after the battle. loving STRIDER. He should be a child at this point, it's like, almost a century before LotR happens.

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
isn't gandalf like a demi-god along with other wizards that chose to live among the mortals to help them out, and then he goes out like Jesus Christ in the LotR books. I remember reading Tolkein's mythology, and while unique in a lot of ways from other creation mythos, is not very memorable or interesting.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Just finished the movie.
it was ok

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sufficient posted:

isn't gandalf like a demi-god along with other wizards that chose to live among the mortals to help them out, and then he goes out like Jesus Christ in the LotR books. I remember reading Tolkein's mythology, and while unique in a lot of ways from other creation mythos, is not very memorable or interesting.

He is essentially an angel. He clothes himself in human skin and I think it's somewhat uncertain if he adopts human mannerisms naturally or picks them up to make his job to integrate easier. But he can't ever die, when he dies (as in the Balrog fight) he basically goes back to Heaven, and in that instance he was basically sent back down again immediately to take Saruman's place.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Gandalf, who's real name is Mithrandir, is one of the five Istari---lesser divinities (basically angels) sent by the Valar, who are the principal divinities that dwell in Valinor---the undying lands of the west---along with many lesser divinities called Maiar. Valinor isn't another continent analogous to the Americas as is often thought, but is literally a dimension that exists "beyond the horizon" e.g, out in space. We can't see this extra landscape in our time (the Fourth Age) because the Valar sealed it away after the departure of the Elves. I hate myself and I want to die. Saruman the White (real name Curinir) was originally the leader, most powerful and wisest of the Istari. He came to believe, between the events of The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, that The Valar's defeat was inevitable and the earth would fall to the dominion of whoever held the Ring of Power. After Gandalf the Grey died at Moria, the Valar reincarnated him with Saruman's old title and powers, hence Saruman's complete helplessness when confronted after the Battle of Helm's Deep.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I can't believe I know all this crap. Almost thirty and what do I have to show for it? Reams and reams pf iseless information. An encyclopedia of nonsense.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 30, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i haven't seen a movie in theaters for at least 5 years now, why don;t you stop too save you time and money.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Worlds that didn't exist and never will.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Harime Nui posted:

Worlds that didn't exist and never will.

wait this is troublesome, since these worlds have been created can be said to exist.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Harime Nui posted:

Gandalf, who's real name is Mithrandir, is one of the five Istari---lesser divinities (basically angels) sent by the Valar, who are the principal divinities that dwell in Valinor---the undying lands of the west---along with many lesser divinities called Maiar. Valinor isn't another continent analogous to the Americas as is often thought, but is literally a dimension that exists "beyond the horizon" e.g, out in space. We can't see this extra landscape in our time (the Fourth Age) because the Valar sealed it away after the departure of the Elves. I hate myself and I want to die. Saruman the White (real name Curinir) was originally the leader, most powerful and wisest of the Istari. He came to believe, between the events of The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, that The Valar's defeat was inevitable and the earth would fall to the dominion of whoever held the Ring of Power. After Gandalf the Grey died at Moria, the Valar reincarnated him with Saruman's old title and powers, hence Saruman's complete helplessness when confronted after the Battle of Helm's Deep.

Actually super interesting, thanks.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

Actually super interesting shameful, thanks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What do they need green screen on the table for?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

wood is too hard to come by

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

the green screen thing just makes me lol because if the poo poo shows my mom likes to watch on A&E are any indication there is no shortage of midgets out there that will whore themselves out to do any kind of lovely production for next to no money.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

the green screen thing just makes me lol because if the poo poo shows my mom likes to watch on A&E are any indication there is no shortage of midgets out there that will whore themselves out to do any kind of lovely production for next to no money.

For the original LoTR films they did use midgets for the far away shots.

Hell, the whole height difference trickery was the best practical effect from the lord of the ring films.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008
My wife fell asleep during the 2nd movie in theaters and I wanted to but I felt bad for wanting to fall asleep for something I paid for. I won't see the third because all of this could have been done in 2 movies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RavenKrows posted:

My wife fell asleep during the 2nd movie in theaters and I wanted to but I felt bad for wanting to fall asleep for something I paid for. I won't see the third because all of this could have been done in 2 movies.

It could easily be done in one movie IMO, it's not a long convoluted story with different plot lines like Lord of the Rings.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I lust for hobbit death

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

Nonsense posted:

I lust for hobbit sex

me too

naem
May 29, 2011

There's nothing wrong with liking nerd poo poo it's better than memorizing sports stats (also nerd poo poo)

naem
May 29, 2011

There's always that one guys who's a friend of a friend who won't shut up about sports-

The second he's left the door at work he has on a flat brimmed baseball hat with a team logo and any convo turn into him angrily listing numbers from a database with last names attached.

DONOVAN HAD A DOUBLE TRIPPLE AND MCNAIR DID 5 WONKIES AND THIS A PLAYOFF SEASON, 12 KEVIN FUPPLE BOGIES? PUT YOUR BALLS IN TEH HOLE

Ok great yeah I saw the 30 second highlight reel already thanks

Wearsyourgodnow
Jul 21, 2009

i thought that in the book the big battle is like a paragraph long and bilbo gets knocked the gently caress out as soon as it starts. how did they make a 3 hour movie out of that??

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008

naem posted:

There's nothing wrong with liking nerd poo poo it's better than memorizing sports stats (also nerd poo poo)

it's all poo poo though

Wearsyourgodnow posted:

i thought that in the book the big battle is like a paragraph long and bilbo gets knocked the gently caress out as soon as it starts. how did they make a 3 hour movie out of that??

At most a page.

naem
May 29, 2011

RavenKrows posted:

it's all poo poo though

Maybe some of us like being transported to a land of mystical splendor one wonderment ok??

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

Colbert nerd meltdowns over lord of the rings were also humorous.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
Orlando bloom is visibly upset and disgusted by the elf captain's allusions to sex with the opposite sex, this was in the 2nd movie I think

nobility in the lotr universe are explicitly wiser and smarter and stronger than the plebs, and legolas is a prince, so it's a safe bet he knows what's up straight sex is bad, is what's up

Anyway all the good parts of the first two and probably third movie as well could be condensed to 30 seconds of smaug capering around while Gandalf groans and leans his head in his hands

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Ha grandpa got owned.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

Moola posted:

first hobbit was okish I guess

second almost fell asleep

will not watch the third

that is my hobbits tale

There, and back again.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Internet Kraken posted:

So that controlling spergy autistic directors like George Lucas and the new zealand goony guy can change every tiny detail any time later after filming, depending on their mood and what they dreamed about the night before.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

TOILETLORD posted:

i haven't seen a movie in theaters for at least 5 years now, why don;t you stop too save you time and money.

what if you want to go on a date with someone...... oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Harime Nui posted:

Humans basically don't got kings no more except for Rohan and Gondor, they mostly live in crappy towns with loose government like Bree or Esgaroth b/c the Witch King hosed up the main human kingdom a few centuries back, the last surviving nobles became the rangers who trained Aragorn when he wasn't slumming around Elrond's house macking on his daughter

The Witch King didn't gently caress them up; he flat out conquered them and had a nice empire. After he took out the last of the Northern kingdoms, Price Earnur of Gondor managed to use Elves to drive him out of the North. The good Gondorians and Elves then left the area in ruins, while going home to congratulate themselves on a job well done.

Once Earnur was crowned, the Witch King and Nazguls seized the city of Minas Ithil, renamed it Minas Morgul, and started issuing challenges to Earnur to come settle things mano a mano. This went on for years, until finally Earnur decided he had to answer, rode off with some men, and was never heard from again. Once he was gone, the 'Watchful Peace' began.

Earnur was gay, and had no kids, which is why stewards are in control of Gondor when Aragorn shows up. Clearly Earnur was the problem, and not the Witch King.

• Locked thread