Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Actually finish putting one of my game system ideas together and then run a game of it with some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Still time to join on this?

Gaming:
Try more new games.
Find a new RL Game Group.
Try to run a Roll20 game for my out of state friends.
Keep posting in TG and other forums, even when it feels like pissing into the wind.

Non-Gaming:
Be able to consistently run the 5k in under 29 minutes.
Better time management on my volunteer work so I'm not at organization meetings 4 nights a week.
Get back into woodworking.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm moving this thread to the secret place in a day or so, so if you still need to post/make a note of what you posted do it soon!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'mma keep being awesome.

Gonna play in games.
Gonna keep writing.
Maybe I'mma actually publish something and sell it like a real boy!

IRL:
Be the best dad
Lose more weight
Continue owning at work
keep learning graphic design, and other creative computer stuff.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

-Run a Fate hack, either an official one (of which several are cool) or one of my own (transhuman fantasy or Dark Souls).
-Get a real job.
-Finish Black Crusade, or at the least keep it going.
-Make an Only Profit (Rogue Trader + Only War) hack.
-Learn to whistle.
-Do the Metroid Prime LP.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
- Work on my [Jack Kirby meets Dark Souls meets Run the Jewels] 13th Age/Archmage Engine setting book in earnest.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Paint enough poo poo to become a Mantic Pathfinder. Become a Mantic Pathfinder.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Oh yeah, I was going to hide this. Away with thee!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright, how'd we do?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fuego Fish posted:

1. Sell more copies of my book. I have managed to sell double digits to date, I'd like that to get into triple. So let's say my goal is 100 more copies sold. Tell your friends!

Not even close :(

Fuego Fish posted:

2. Publish two more books, minimum. I have one almost finished, so I'm basically 50% there already! Well, 40%. More than 0% at any rate.

Managed halfway, but circumstances sorta screwed me over on this. Still, next year.

Fuego Fish posted:

3. Vary my portfolio with some trad games stuff. Books are fun, but I still have a big love for settings and systems. The former more than the latter these days. I want something like a big, meaty splatbook up there for people to peruse and enjoy. With art, maybe.

Haha nope.

Fuego Fish posted:

4. Last year my weight made a mockery of me by refusing to budge below 100kg. I am by no means a rotund fellow, I have a lot of height to go with that weight, but I want to be slim, trim, and eventually able to arm-wrestle any other author out there. Sure, I could probably take a few of 'em as I am now, but have you seen the pythons on China Miéville? I gotta start hitting the gym or something. Dude would destroy me.

I've lost more than 1kg per month over the past year, on average, so I'd say I'm doing pretty good so far.

Fuego Fish posted:

5. Be more inclusive in my work. Sure, I avoid the generic white dude protagonist in my work. But I have yet to write a trans protagonist, for instance. That needs to change, although with my current track record of writing pace, it might not be this year. Gonna try, though.

Planned but not published, so... halfway?

Fuego Fish posted:

6. Run a Goddamn PbP game here on the forums. I've been away too long.

I did this! It crashed out early, but I managed it.

All in all, I didn't do as bad as I thought.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Ratpick posted:

Get my Master's thesis done so I'll finally have a marginally less useless degree.
Done! I'm now a Master of Arts with a useless degree!

Ratpick posted:

Actually finish one of my various homebrew RPGs and publish it in some form or another.
Haha nope

Ratpick posted:

Play a campaign from start to finish instead of constantly starting new ones that trail off because we can never schedule games beyond a couple of sessions.
Actually did this with Apocalypse World. It wasn't exactly the longest campaign in the world, but it felt like a coherent whole with a beginning, middle and an end.

Ratpick posted:

Related to the above, actually find a stable group with a steady gaming schedule.
Stable group, yes, steady schedule, no. Well, at least most weekends I can count on being able to play with these guys.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

-Run a Fate hack, either an official one (of which several are cool) or one of my own (transhuman fantasy or Dark Souls).
Not quite, though someone else did run a Fate hack for Warhammer High.

quote:

-Get a real job.
Nope, not yet!

quote:

-Finish Black Crusade, or at the least keep it going.
Yes - now we're on the sequel campaign.

quote:

-Make an Only Profit (Rogue Trader + Only War) hack.
Things accelerated in BC such that I ran out of time, and frankly I ended up not wanting to deal with that level of fiddliness anyway. I did make a standalone Rogue Trader + Dark Heresy 2E hack, though I've found as a GM that it needs some work.

quote:

-Learn to whistle.
Nope.

quote:

-Do the Metroid Prime LP.
And nope.

Yeah, this wasn't as good a year for TG resolutions.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Finish painting at least three wargaming armies to completion.

And for this I'ma bust out the full legalism. A full army "to completion" includes A) All the legal models required to run that army, B) Enough models to fit into a "standard" play size for that system - 2000 points for Kings of War, 1500-1850 for Warhammer 40k, 50 points for Warmachine/Hordes, etc. This does include models I have already painted and armies that have been "half plastic" for a while as well as entirely new ones.

And I'll make that my only one.

I... finished one?? :downs:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

moths posted:

This is all possible! And ambitious!
- Run another 5k, get less doughy
- Build a full WWI table with terrain, paint German and British armies for it
- ST a Wraith game for my friends
- Paint the best Khador army I can

Haha, none of this happened!

Although I did drop a few lbs and got most of a WWI table done.

It's funny that I thought Wraith20 would be out by now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Error 404 posted:

1 I'mma keep being awesome.

2 Gonna play in games.
3 Gonna keep writing.
4 Maybe I'mma actually publish something and sell it like a real boy!

IRL:
5 Be the best dad
6 Lose more weight
7 Continue owning at work
8 keep learning graphic design, and other creative computer stuff.

1 :whatup:
2 gently caress yeah
3 hlel yes
4 not yet
5 yup
6 yup
7 oh yeah
8 sort of, here and there, when I can.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

As per last year:

TG-related:
Paint more
Play Dungeon World if possible
Try not to ALWAYS be hard up on resources in every single resource management game

Non-TG-related
Exercise more, eat less
Do more woodwork
Do more DIY
Try to avoid taking up any more hobbies!

Let's see:

1: Meh, pretty poor, though I'm in the process of picking it back up again now that I have a minis game I'm playing; I slowed down a lot when we pretty much wound up our D&D campaign.
2: I did play it once, I'm waiting on someone to run a game once we finish our Lost Mine of Phandalin run.
3: Iunno, getting there I guess.

4: Did OKish with this except for the times when I had colds D:
5/6: Did a couple of projects, but got bogged down in hackspace restructures.
7: Well, I tried! The only new one is X-Wing, which is basically board games and mini painting so not TOO much different.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with my year in retrospect.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Alive and married.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lord Frisk posted:

I quit smoking, made a slight bit more money, and saved more than I ever have (also 401(k)). Haven't run a single RPG in the year 2014, though I logged 250 different board game plays with 46 different games. That tally is from May 2014 to present.

This year?

1. Keep a semi regular exercise regimen
2. Read more books
3. Find a better job
4. Keep my board game spending to a minimum

1. Haha, no.
2. Yeah? But only like one or two more.
3. I did this! And I love my new job.
4. Totally accomplished this too. As my collection reached "a full bookshelf" I found myself not even getting hyped about new games.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Reene posted:

1. Lose 30 pounds. Do this by monitoring my diet and trying to lift a weight at least once a week.

ahaahaahaha

quote:

2. Actually run Mageball.

aaaahaahahahaha

quote:

3. Sell three paintings.

aaaaaaaaahaahahahahaahaha (other commissions yes but no paintings)

quote:

4. Find a job that doesn't make me feel angry, sad, and powerless all the time.

hhhhhhhaaahaha

quote:

5. Kiss someone that thinks I'm wonderful.

haaahhhaaahaaakillmeahahaha

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Captain Walker posted:

TG
-Improve GM skills
-Start, and finish, an entire mini-campaign of at least 3 months/10 sessions
-Find a way to make a little money from TG instead of spending all my existing money on it

nooooooooooooo

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

mistaya posted:

In 2016 I want to:

-Still be GM'ing for Dresden Files
-Still be playing a bunch of Exalted
-Still be working no matter how much I hate my job
-Still be going to the gym 2-3 times a week, and looking like I have been

(Basic life maintenance, been doing this stuff since 2013)

-Get married (after 5+ years of being engaged)
-Get Platinum on Summoner's Rift in League of Legends
-Finish a novel and start shopping it to publishers
-Run Monsterhearts and not have it die because of me
-Cosplay at Comicon this year

-Yep
-Ugh, yep
-Unfortunately yep
-woops uh nope. Need to fix this one.

-NOT YET UGH
-Oh hey I did this.
-Chapter loving six.
-I ran MH but it kind of died because of me, goddamnit.
-I did this, it was awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm hoping to find a new RPG group to play with since my old one broke up a few months back. Probably online since the only thing that gets played locally is lousy Pathfinder modules.

Maybe even get to finally play a PbtA game, maybe even one of the games I kickstarted.

Well, I didn't have to find a new RPG group since the old group got back together, but is possibly crumbling apart again. :v:

Didn't get a chance to play a PbtA game though. :smith: Unless Blades in the Dark still counts as PbtA (it doesn't though its PbtA DNA lies within it). I did KS Blades though, so at least the "play a game I kickstarted" part is true.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

Gaming:

Play or run a regular, continuous plot RPG of at least 6-10 sessions (this is the big one).
Try more online/PBP gaming.
Play way more Sails of Glory.
Try to start collecting/painting some historical minis and then play games with them (probably Flames of War, possibly something ancient, but no fantasy or scifi)
Complete at least one of my project games and give it away somehow.

Non-gaming:

Average no fewer than 2 BJJ classes per week for the year (not barring injuries - I will need to catch up if I miss stuff).
Sword-fight at least a bit (with a group that focuses on the fighting rather than costumes and stuff, probably HEMA this time). I start and stop this every few years.
Go on more actual adventures (like, hiking, climbing, camping, etc) like I used to.

Gaming:

1: Nope, got to 4 sessions and then everyone quit.
2: Yes, and it was different but awesome.
3: Played more. Didn't manage way more. Calling this a success.
4: Decided to just build models instead. Also calling this a success since it's the building and painting I have the most fun with anyway.
5: Lol, nope.

Non Gaming:

1: Nope. Averaged four sessions a week until mid May, competed in the state titles, fought in 4 divisions and got 2 silvers. Wrecked my shoulder, not real bad but bad enough not to train. Went back 1 session/week in mid november, so I think I just missed my goal.
2: Nope. No spare time, followed by being unwilling to train at anything with my shoulder messed up. Got a little bit of broadsword drilling in, but not enough to count.
3: Yep, went up mountains, down cliff paths, through forests, along beaches, and into caves. Saw some kickass stuff, camped in one of the most beautiful places I've ever been while nobody else was there.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 29, 2015

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

potatocubed posted:

1. Complete at least one pet project.
2. Do not screw up the raising of my daughter.

That's all.

1. I completed three! Overton and Den of Thieves for Dungeon World, and a Twine game called Dragonslayer.

2. She's still alive and seems well-balanced as far as infants go? I figure I'll call this one a success too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

Kiss a girl.
:toot:

Siivola posted:

Maybe paint some miniatures and get some Bolt Action on too.
Completely forgot! :downs: Actually, I've sort of fallen out of my TG hobbies altogether. I just haven't found any time for gaming in between martial arts and desperately not failing my studies.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

Well here's mine;

TG:
Successfully run at least one session of a RPG(over the last 10 years I've tried at least a dozen times to run something across at least 8 different systems and not once have I made it past Character Creation with my group of friends, to the point that it's been almost 3 years since I last put a serious attempt in), can't completely guarantee this one since most of my RL friends live in another county, I can't drive, and I'm not comfortable with running an RPG online for multiple reasons

Start doing reviews for RPG stuff(own a lot of RPG stuff and if I can't run anything with it, might as well do something productive with it)

RL:
Get a job(might actually succeed at this one since my dad might have some work for me in the near future at his shop)

Lose at least 10 pounds

Be better about my spending

Save up at least 300 Dollars for this year's Anime Expo in July(not counting ticket or Hotel fare)

Try and make friends in my current location(have lived in my current city for more than a year, and have barely interacted with anyone in the area besides the family members who I live with, and while the friends I had back in my hometown are still some of the most important people in my life, I also need friends who I can interact in person with more than a couple times every month or two)

See a dentist(it's been at least 5 years since I last saw one, and I probably need one badly)

Fix my screwy sleep schedule

Can't think of anything else for now, so that will do

Well I'm a complete failure, didn't accomplish a single resolution, why do I even bother:sigh:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

drrockso20 posted:

Well I'm a complete failure, didn't accomplish a single resolution, why do I even bother:sigh:

Cheer up, you could have had a year like mine instead where I:

• Had my gaming group break up
  • Fell into an unsustainable amount of debt
  • Nearly got fired twice
  • Tried to commit suicide
  • Got committed to a psychiatric facility
  • Lost my grandfather to Parkinson's
  • Wrecked my car

And I'm still here, somehow.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kwyndig posted:

Cheer up, you could have had a year like mine instead where I:

• Had my gaming group break up
  • Fell into an unsustainable amount of debt
  • Nearly got fired twice
  • Tried to commit suicide
  • Got committed to a psychiatric facility
  • Lost my grandfather to Parkinson's
  • Wrecked my car

And I'm still here, somehow.

Yeah but what board games did you play?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Countblanc posted:

Yeah but what board games did you play?

I played Cooties with my Nephew on Saturday, does that count?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

TradGames:
Try to finish the year with less poo poo on my "to do" pile than I started with. Just managed that last year, but that was by turning down freelance work (I know, these diamond shoes are too tight).
Write & publish at least two games for myself, rather than through OPP
Play the games I got through the TradGames Secret Santa, and other games that I wouldn't normally play
Run a game for a bunch of people I've not played with before, outside of a con.

Non-Tradgames
Start cycling again. Buggered my legs a couple of years ago — walking with a stick for six months — which got me out of the habit, and I've not got back into it.
If not, at least exercise more
Cook more, different stuff
Make room to display more gundams

I do have less poo poo on my "to do" pile, but most of it is the same poo poo as I had at the start of last year. Fuuuuu. Counting this as a fail as I had to give up a lot of interesting stuff because I ended up in a holding pattern because of brain problems.

I only published one game (unless the Box of Dead Badgers counts), but it was a fun experimental thing in just 150 words. I also finally started writing a novel, so I'm counting this as a success.

I played both the games I got from TGSS and some new RPGs. Unfortunately my wife isn't a big Netrunner fan, but I'm hoping to get a few people interested at work.

Haven't run games for new people this year, so that's a loss.

I got on the bike four times last year, and though I do walk everywhere I didn't do any more of it. Faaaaaaail.

Cooked a shitload more, gathering ideas for my second cookbook.

No more space, just more gundams.

3/7. I guess I suck a bit less?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kwyndig posted:

I played Cooties with my Nephew on Saturday, does that count?

It does not, but I appreciate your honesty and integrity.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Look at this fool who doesn't know about Cootie. Cootie was the poo poo when I was a small child hanging out with my cousins at our Grandparent's house.

My grandparents had the one above (or something very similar, the bugs anyways) the modern version isn't as cool looking.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Look at this fool who doesn't know about Cootie. Cootie was the poo poo when I was a small child hanging out with my cousins at our Grandparent's house.

My grandparents had the one above (or something very similar, the bugs anyways) the modern version isn't as cool looking.

gently caress, I think it's a rule somewhere that all grandparents have to have that game. I played that a lot when I was little and visiting my grandparents.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Davin Valkri posted:

From the other thread:

Play a character that isn't a pretty-boy bishonen, as shocking as that sounds.
Hey, I actually did this one! Twice, in fact! And one game is still running! (Although if I just switched to an androgynous handsome girl is that in the "spirit" of the resolution?)

Davin Valkri posted:

Actually try to run a game like I keep saying I will.
Nope! Two ideas on the plate but I couldn't figure out how to extend the opening ideas to a fully plotted game that's not shallow and dumb.

Davin Valkri posted:

Actually be the cheerful, talkative, and friendly person I pretend I am on IRC IRL :suicide:
I'll let others be the judge of that. I think I've actually gotten worse.

Soooo...1 out of 3. And that's maybe 0.5 out of 3. Well...crud. :smithicide:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Well, you got the most difficult one anyway. Don't beat yourself up about IRL stuff/not running games; you broke out of your gorgeous bishonen comfort zone and that's not nothin'.

In fact, next game we both app too, let's switch. You play a musclebound moron, I play a flirtatious pretty boy.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bucnasti posted:

Only doing one this year...

Ship Spirit of 77 on time and under budget.

Only one goal, but it was a biggie and I think I nailed it.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Gaming:
Try more new games.
Find a new RL Game Group.
Try to run a Roll20 game for my out of state friends.
Keep posting in TG and other forums, even when it feels like pissing into the wind.

Non-Gaming:
Be able to consistently run the 5k in under 29 minutes.
Better time management on my volunteer work so I'm not at organization meetings 4 nights a week.
Get back into woodworking.

Gaming:
Yep. Played a ton of new board games and several rpgs this last year.
Sorta, in a new board game group.
Nope.
Sorta.

Non-Gaming:
Yep! 28 Minutes.
Yep, though telling one group to gently caress the gently caress off might have been a bit too much.
Ha, nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.

Illvillainy posted:

- Work on my [Jack Kirby meets Dark Souls meets Run the Jewels] 13th Age/Archmage Engine setting book in earnest.
Hahahaha, you actually said this, you naive muthafucka.

• Locked thread