Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

General Battuta posted:

It has to be this or Sajuuk Must Be Crazy. Although 'what does a spaceship need with God?' is pretty funny too.

Something along the line of What does God need with a starship would also be a neat Star Trek V reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Homeworld 2

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Homeworld 2 All Beef Patties Special Sauce Lettuce Cheese Pickles Onions On A Sesame Seed Bun

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

John Liver posted:

Homeworld 2 All Beef Patties Special Sauce Lettuce Cheese Pickles Onions On A Sesame Seed Bun

I just wanted you to know that I understand and appreciate this joke :v:

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

rabiddeity posted:

Homeworld 2: Frigate Lost

It just has everything, except frigates.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Frigate Lost, no contest.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

I'm not going to tally the number of Frigates that die you guys. That would be mean.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Never played the game, but I think Homeworld 2: Ah Frigate is a better joke for what you guys are hinting at.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

berryjon posted:

I'm not going to tally the number of Frigates that die you guys. That would be mean.

Aw man, that would've been great.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Neurion posted:

Aw man, that would've been great.

Mission 03:
Flak: 02 (4 built)
Marine: 00 (0 built)

macdjord
Oct 26, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Never played the game, but I think Homeworld 2: Ah Frigate is a better joke for what you guys are hinting at.

Homeworld 2? Frigate About It!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Breach in Starboard Frigate Chamber: Let's Play Homeworld 2
Breach in Starboard Fusion Chamber: Let's Sacrifice Frigates to Space God

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Alright guys, I'm putting a kibosh on that for now. We've still got the two Skirmishs to go through first!

Looking for victimsvolunteers to commentate over a 45 minute Beast video this weekend. PM your Skype name if you can, and we'll work from there.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

So I decide to got a little flashy with this video instead of taking the AI seriously. I don't see the problem. ;)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

A wall of anti-strikecraft frigates, you say? Sounds like a job for more strikecraft!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Yeah, the biggest threat of the AI is that it cheats all to hell, and never wastes time or forgets to do something. Unfortunately, the AI doesn't handle all the gimmicky stuff that was put into the game very well, so losing is almost harder than winning. Poor ship balance doesn't help.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Beast must've got all of its smarts from the Clee-san.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

One thing I've always found strange, the fluff mentions that the reason behind docking is that the Acolyte comes from superior Bentusi technology, and that's why the various ships that Somtaaw cobble out of those barebones plans can join up... but when you get the Super-Acolyte, it can't do that!

If a Super ACV was to the Super Acolyte as the ACV is to the Acolyte, its stats would be, um... about 3,500 armor, a speed of ~650 m/s, an acceleration of 550 m/s, and 4 ion cannons that deal 54 damage each. That's 1/3rd the health of a frigate and more firepower than a dreadnought.

This might explain why there's no Super ACV.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think the Somtaaw invented linking all by themselves, it's not Bentusi tech.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Dabir posted:

I think the Somtaaw invented linking all by themselves, it's not Bentusi tech.

"The Avenger was the first breakthrough that Somtaaw engineers made in ship linkage technology. Utilizing some of the remnants of dynamic surface technology passed down through analysis of Bentusi designs, the Acolyte Heavy Fighter was created with ventral docking ports and control links, so that two Heavy Fighters could dock to form a Corvette-class ship." -quote from one of the source materials.

So, did the Bentusi invent linking, or the Somtaaw? The answer is clear: yes.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Sounds like the Bentusi designed the tech for something completely different, and then the Somtaaw saw it and figured they could do something cooler with it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

MJ12 posted:

If a Super ACV was to the Super Acolyte as the ACV is to the Acolyte, its stats would be, um... about 3,500 armor, a speed of ~650 m/s, an acceleration of 550 m/s, and 4 ion cannons that deal 54 damage each. That's 1/3rd the health of a frigate and more firepower than a dreadnought.

This might explain why there's no Super ACV.

No, you just explained why I want a Super ACV

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Sounds to me like the Super Acolyte was basically meant to 'link' with other Bentusi craft, like say whatever the hell the Bentusi have as a Frigate, then act as parasite fighters when they hyperspace on top of the enemy. Or maybe act as a weird form of turret? Anyways, the Somtaaw probably just did whatever they wanted with it, and probably started coming up with the Super ACV the moment the battle was over.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I think the idea is that the Acolyte is able to somewhat reconfigure itself. Hence the 'dynamic surface technology'. You can see this in the Acolyte. When it's in flight, it'll tuck little side-pods in, but when it combat it extends them out. Then the Somtaaw reconfigured that tech to allow them to link up.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
It sounds like the Bentusi created the USB 2.0 system, and the Somtaw created one:one linkages.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I would guess that's actually a really close analogy. Remember, the Bentusi are basically gigantic space cyborgs. Their fighters are either remotely piloted, or have some fragment of consciousness uploaded to them, there's no need to get somebody in or out of it, and there's not really a good reason to have multiple external openings for stuff like fuel, batteries, power, etc. More than likely, Bentusi Super Acolytes actually have something like a gigantic USB port underneath the craft that it latches on to when docking, to repower, refuel, and reconnect with the ship. Somtaaw engineers just got stripped down plans, that have a gigantic port underneath the craft directly connected to the fuel system, electrical systems, and control systems, and said, "drat... I bet we can use this!"

So that totally leaves hope that they'll engineer a Super ACV :v:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

berryjon posted:

So I decide to got a little flashy with this video instead of taking the AI seriously. I don't see the problem. ;)

The Audio is Dysnc is kind of bad

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hrm, that is a problem now that I'm looking deeper into the files. The compiled Audio is 46:41, while the video is 46:46.

drat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got around to watching this! Cataclysm's still a good game, despite some of its issues. The one thing that still bugs me though is they kind of change what 'unbound' means from HW1. In 1 it referred to 'spacefaring cultures'; ie, the entirety of the player fleet, whichever they chose.

How much trouble did you have getting Cata to run by the way berryjon? I know HW Classic has a good deal of problems on Windows 7 and 8, even the Gearbox-touched-up version.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Wait until HW2, then you'll go completely :psyboom:

I had no troubles running it at all. And the computer I am on is Window's 7, no compatibility mode required.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally got around to watching this! Cataclysm's still a good game, despite some of its issues. The one thing that still bugs me though is they kind of change what 'unbound' means from HW1. In 1 it referred to 'spacefaring cultures'; ie, the entirety of the player fleet, whichever they chose.

How much trouble did you have getting Cata to run by the way berryjon? I know HW Classic has a good deal of problems on Windows 7 and 8, even the Gearbox-touched-up version.

I've played the disc version of HW1 with no problems through Windows XP/Vista/7 and more than a few hardware changes. The only thing I ever had to do was patch HW1 with its official patches otherwise it couldn't run in widescreen. I am running it in compatibility mode for Windows NT but I only did that because the guides online said so, no idea if I actually have to and I don't want to change it now.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
I finally got my Remastered box today. The Pride of Hiigara is huge. :)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Presented without commentary, as I couldn't get a good time for people to commentate over. And besides, this way you get to listen to the Beast in all it's glory!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always liked how one of the Beast names was "Ththing". Another had like twelve Zs in it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Homeworld 2: Frigate Lost

• Locked thread