Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Am I being silly or does the new Fantastic Four trailer use the Broadchurch theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know I should be used to it from television in general, and season 1 in particular, but this latest episode made me want to grab characters by the shoulders, shake them and scream,"IT'S A MURDER INVESTIGATION FORGET YOUR lovely LITTLE SECRETS AND JUST TELL THE TRUTH!"

Also I didn't quite grasp how their findings at Thorps lead them to conclude that this ruled out any possible chance that the girl was still alive. As far as I could tell, they found the place because it was scrawled on the back of a piece of paper with zero context, which is hardly conclusive evidence that the killer was using it as their base of operations and that's where they murdered the victim and disposed of the body.

On the positive side, Olivia Colman was as fantastic as ever.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I've realized I'm watching three shows here. There's one about the families of crime victims dealing with the aftermath. There's a pretty lame courtroom drama. And there's a fairly good detective show about a couple partners working to solve a cold case. The first one is interesting and emotionally engaging; I wish were we seeing a little more of it. The last one is compelling; we're getting to see our detectives uncover old lies and dig up new evidence. The middle one, the courtroom drama, needed a good hard editing before it went into production.

The detective show, starring Ellie and Alec, is the best right now, even though Ellie's work is making it look like Hardy was the last person who should have been working on Sandbrook. To me, it's looking like Hardy was so emotionally traumatized by discovering the girl's body in the river (and nearly drowning himself in the process) that he approached Sandbrook emotionally rather than rationally. He apparently didn't suspect some people were lying when most cops are made of 50% raw suspicion, he didn't look at every piece of evidence because he totally missed the agricultural company among the documents and possibly got so focused on Ashworth that he didn't give enough attention to all the potential suspects.

Ellie insists she's going to solve it, and maybe she will. She doesn't have the emotional issues with the Sandbrook case that Hardy has. She's also in a better state of health than Hardy, who's half-expecting to die. Hardy telling her not to get pulled into it is stupid and a bit hypocritical, though. He pulled her into it by using her as a chauffeur and a minder for Claire. He's the one who got her interested. So, shut up, Hardy, 'cause you started it.

Jerusalem posted:

Also I didn't quite grasp how their findings at Thorps lead them to conclude that this ruled out any possible chance that the girl was still alive. As far as I could tell, they found the place because it was scrawled on the back of a piece of paper with zero context, which is hardly conclusive evidence that the killer was using it as their base of operations and that's where they murdered the victim and disposed of the body.

On the positive side, Olivia Colman was as fantastic as ever.

I liked the finding at Thorps, actually, because for once both of them are acting like cops - suspicion at the forefront. "It's a cremation furnace, of course somebody has disposed of a human body in it." Also, it was a macabre little scene and I don't mind me some macabre.

And as you say, Colman is great. So is everybody else, except Nigel. He just seems wound so tight, I'd expect him to start pulling his hair out, except he doesn't have any.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Absolutely agree that the fallout for the family (and those on the periphery of the crime) is really interesting, and I think the investigation into Sandbrook has its merits too, but yeah the courtroom drama is really dragging things down. One of those three being the central focus of the season, with maybe one other going on in the background or slowly rising to the forefront as the season progressed would have probably made for a stronger season, rather than all three vying for attention at once.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps if they'd focused on the families, brought the trial in in the third episode or so. More of the Latimers and Ellie trying to reconcile with her son, more and better development for the trial.

As much as I'm enjoying following Ellie through the Sandbrook case, it could easily have been saved for a potential third season.

Edit: I've just realized that I enjoyed this episode much more than the previous two or three because there are less horribly written courtroom scenes in it.

Filox fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 3, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Filox posted:

Perhaps if they'd focused on the families, brought the trial in in the third episode or so. More of the Latimers and Ellie trying to reconcile with her son, more and better development for the trial.

As much as I'm enjoying following Ellie through the Sandbrook case, it could easily have been saved for a potential third season.

Edit: I've just realized that I enjoyed this episode much more than the previous two or three because there are less horribly written courtroom scenes in it.

Courtroom scenes continues to be terrible

"Why on earth would you ever call this witness to testify! This was a huge mistake!"

-defense now proceeds with using shady witness' story as the lynchpin of their case

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I'm also really confused why the defence would try to compel somebody (the reverend) into being a character witness when he is clearly really resistant to do so.

Wouldn't that be an incredibly dangerous thing to do? Calling in a character witness who flat out admits that he believes the accused is guilty and feels cheated by him?

I can't tell if the show is being stupid or if I am. Can you even call in a character witness like this for a murder trial? What would be the point of having somebody say "well he didn't seem like the kind of person who would do that"?

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 3, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Meh, it seemed to me that the defense is desperate at this point. After quickly realizing how drat guilty their client is, and how it'll hurt them to not have him as a witness, and then their alt suspect theory witness crazy dog lady being completely shut down, they're just throwing anything they can into the mix. At this point I don't really see how he could be found not guilty, unless something changes pretty drastically. Keep in mind there's a mountain of forensic evidence (at the cabin, email exchanges, calls, etc.) that have generally been glossed over, but are painting a solid picture.

I feel like they want us to think that the dad did it in Sandbrook, but I doubt it. My best guess from the flashbacks is that the prime suspect was bi-sexual, and carrying on affairs with both of the parents and making overtures at the babysitter. Something something something, the mother kills both the younger kids. She seems the least likely suspect right now, and it'd be very Broadchurch to have her be responsible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jocelyn: Okay Mark, the entire trial could fall apart on even the smallest dent put in your credibility, so make sure I know everything, okay, don't let me get surprised up there.
Mark: You got it, this is all for Danny!
Jocelyn: Great, so remember, no surprises, you tell me EVERYTHING in advance, right?
Mark: Absolutely! For Danny!
Sharon: So Mark.... you illegally went and visited Joe in his cell the night he was arrested, right?
Jocelyn: :doh:

I'm picking the dirt that the other lawyer picked up on is the off-the-record interview Hardy gave where he revealed his ex-wife was the one who lost the pendant, but I don't see what possible bearing this could have on THIS trial, unless the QC tries to point to it as another example of Hardy lying to get the result he desires. Still, it might actually be nice to see that little poo poo of a reporter find out how fun it is to have somebody casually take advantage of a relationship with him for their own personal gain.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I kind of just gave up on the court being anything more than hilarious so I'm enjoying this show again. Whenever a court scene comes out I'm just enjoying watching the peanut gallery gasp. The other elements of the show more than make up for it. Coleman is so amazing in this :allears:.

E: Though it looks like unfortunately Torchwood has branded Eve Myles and she now carries the curse of incredibly unsettling sex. I was kind of :stare: :gonk: during that choking bit. And yes, I know it was supposed to be that way.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 11, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I think my biggest problem with this show is that the writers were dead set on doing both the trial and Hardy's search for the truth from a past case. Rather then the drawn out trial if they had Joe just plead guilty and show the town struggling to move past Danny's murder while Hardy does his "who killed those girls" deal it would make for a much better show. The town has always been the center of the show and pulling the characters away to the sterile courtroom environment, especially where the writing is so godawful bad it ruins any attempt to craft the kind of drama and mystery that the original series did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jsor posted:

Coleman is so amazing in this :allears:.

The scene where she tears her kid a new rear end in a top hat and puts an end to all his bullshit was glorious, absolutely the best scene of the entire episode. It was especially made by his quiet little,"Yes mom :ohdear:" at the end.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Too early for me to make long comments (I hate mornings), but one thing is bugging me more as the show goes on. If Hardy is so freaked out about water, why the hell is he living right on the water's edge this season?

Also, I need a little Coleman flag to wave. Eve Myles threw a very impressive fit, too. I was all, like, "Wooo! Break another chair!"

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Filox posted:

Too early for me to make long comments (I hate mornings), but one thing is bugging me more as the show goes on. If Hardy is so freaked out about water, why the hell is he living right on the water's edge this season?

I think that's why his ex-wife was laughing when she saw his place.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Really? You guys are sticking with the "affair with DI Hardy" thing?

E: Alec taunting Lee at this point is starting to get ridiculous. I almost feel like I'm watching the Riddler taunting Batman or something.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 17, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ughh, I just want this show to be over now, it's just become an exercise in frustration, and I lay the blame squarely on the writing - everything else is good to great. At least season one can still be looked on as a standalone.

Still, the one junior telling the other,"I just wanted you to know.... you're a horrible person," was a pretty drat great line though.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ha yeah, that was pretty great, and it's soooo true. It's a nice touch that right before that she says that she's off to some new town to defend a sexual assault in the most chipper tone of voice ever.

I knew they were going to cliffhang us on the verdict, but they still got me. We're so drat close, dammit! :supaburn:

I'm still enjoying it, I think the writing in S1 was about at this level, barring the courtroom absurdities which I admit are some next level bullshit with the expert prosecutor not knowing about the option to redirect/question a witness after the defense has had a turn to clarify things like oh yeah, I'm definitively not having an affair with DI Hardy, assuming that's a thing those crazy Brit wig courts have as well.

Ellie Miller's actress is just killing it this season though, even more than Tennant and I have massive love for Tennant leftover from Dr. Who. I think both S1 and S2 were carried by the acting far more than the writing.

For my part, I think it's a more interesting story if Joe's found guilty and everyone's relationships and the town in general still basically falls apart due to his actions. That, and I really want to see Joe flip out either right there in the box or when somebody comes to visit him to rub in that he was convicted and he's going to jail for a loooong time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If they are planning on doing a season 3 (I really hope not) I could see them doing something awful like having Joe found innocent so they could look at the impact this has on Ellie and Tom's life when he refuses to leave town and demands to be given equal access to Tom and remain a presence in Ellie's life, and she's powerless to do anything about it because in the eyes of the law he's innocent. Though if that was the case I think it would be more likely that Joe would be found beaten or murdered and the whole town would be the suspects, including Hardy.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The show ends with Joe being found not guilty but attending the organization for helping repentant sex offenders, which Beth has agreed to sponsor.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I just want Joe to be hung off-screen so we never have to see that plot line again, and to focus on the Sandbrook case instead.

Ideally this would have happened back around episode 3.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was hoping the Jury deliberations would happen like this

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Finally found time to watch this.

Sandbrook is far more interesting at this point than the Latimer case. I actually muted the sound for the defense closing argument because I'd had it with the badly written courtroom crap ages ago. I don't even care what is said in the courtroom anymore, I just want to get the final verdict out.

I'm far more interested in coming back for the Sandbrook stuff next episode. I'm just hoping that they'll give us something solid with Sandbrook instead of spinning it out into a cliff-hanger for a potential season three.

I very much agree that what really keeps me coming back is the acting and the production. The writing is all over the place, with all sorts of pointless nonsense thrown in. I feel like the whole series would come off better if it had been originally written for American style 13 epsidoe seasons. Then there might have been time to develop all the off-sides crap that Chibnall had to cram in that's really going to go nowhere. Will Claire finally tell the truth about her husband (tune in to season three to find out!) Will the prosecutor lady get an operation to save her eyesight (season four!) Will she get her reporter girlfriend back (season five!) Will Hardy get back together with his ex- (season six!)

Ugh.

Jerusalem posted:

Though if that was the case I think it would be more likely that Joe would be found beaten or murdered and the whole town would be the suspects, including Hardy.

I could actually get on board with this, especially if each person in town were doing their damnedest to cover up for the one they suspect is the vigilante killer.

Filox fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 22, 2015

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I enjoyed the last episode. At this point it's all a bit mental anyway. But it was all boom boom boom reveals, which kept me going.

The voice over the end of the credits says their will be a S3. So that will be Joe Miller turning up dead on the same bit of beach that the original kid did. Hardy will investigate and not trust DI miller because the last thing she said to him was that "it had been sorted". The hooks were a bit obvious.

Hopefully S3 drama of blind and black lady teaming up to either defend/prosecute the sandbrook case is done better than the court case this year.

Bit of a mess of a series really. I think it sort of came together in the end. And the scene with the town folk not killing Joe was at least an interesting reverse of what I thought would happen.

Still if they do the last series court case thing again next year I hope they do it better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finally wrapping up Sandbrook, plus the core cast from season 1 confronting Joe and basically forcing him to face up to the fact he's a selfish piece of poo poo before kicking him out of town forever was nice, but otherwise this was a disappointing end to a disappointing season. I don't have high hopes for season 3, especially the thought of the lawyers being back since they were far and away the worst thing about this season. The court case in general was just a massive letdown, the idea of Joe's refusal to plead guilty tearing the town apart was an interesting premise that went nowhere in favor of terribly written scenes, and the idea that 10 members of the jury found him innocent was just laughable based on the defense case that we saw presented.

Chibnal returned to form after the excellent season one, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Glad to hear there will be a season 3, for all its faults I do enjoy the show. I like the handling of Joe, an old school banishment made sense. I don't expect Joe to end up dead, but there does need to be a new case in Broadchurch. Maybe one of the other regulars will be murdered and they'll investigate that?

I don't expect to see the Sandbrook trial, though given the crazy as hell way Hardy handled it there's at least a sliver of doubt that those involved could be found innocent. When you've got 2 and a half confessions and physical evidence I think you're in good enough shape though.

I do want to see the blind and the black team up, but maybe we should just not let this show anywhere near another courtroom again. Probably best for all involved. Then again, when has this show ever introduced characters and had them not come back in some way?

I don't find Joe's verdict completely unbelievable, the defense threw smoke and mirrors (THE INSPECTORS ARE BANGING) with salient points (defendant was beaten, father was adjacent to the murder scene, a decent alternate theory) and evidence being thrown out (Confession? What confession?) to really game the system. Plus jurors are idiots, I feel like the judge pulled that "excused from all future jury duty" thing out of her butt to make sure they're never involved in another case. The whole trial was a farce, don't get me wrong, but the Jury wasn't tagging along for season 1, so stuff like Danny's dad visiting Joe when he's in lockup can be spun all sorts of ways.

Basically, this season has wrapped up everything about as nicely as possible, so I hope that the next one digs in to something fresh, with the scars of the past only occasionally popping up rather than being the driving force behind every episode.

Oh, and J-ru, please gif Joe's banishment, or make a gif mocking the jury. If you feel like it anyway.

• Locked thread