Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month
2011:
January: John Keats, Endymion
Febuary/March: Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote
April: Laurell K. Hamilton, Obsidian Butterfly
May: Richard A. Knaak - Diablo #1: Legacy of Blood
June: Pamela Britton - On The Move
July: Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep
August: Louis L'Amour - Bendigo Shafter
September: Ian Fleming - Moonraker
October: Ray Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
November: John Ringo - Ghost
December: James Branch Cabell - Jurgen

2012:
January: G.K. Chesterton - The Man Who Was Thursday
Febuary: M. Somerset Maugham - Of Human Bondage
March: Joseph Heller - Catch-22
April: Zack Parsons - Liminal States
May: Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood
June: James Joyce - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
July: William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch
August: William Faulkner - The Sound & The Fury
September/October: Leo Tolstoy - War & Peace
November: David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas
December: Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night

January: Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Liebowitz
Febuary: Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
March: Kazuo Ishiguro - Remains Of The Day
April: Don Delillo - White Noise
May: Anton LeVey - The Satanic Bible
June/July: Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
August: Michael Swanwick - Stations of the Tide
September: John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids
October: Shirley Jackson - The Haunting of Hill House
November: Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
December: Roderick Thorp - Nothing Lasts Forever

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

Current:Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

Kindle edition available at the link. http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Cities-Italo-Calvino-ebook/dp/B00ALJH62U/ref=dp_kinw_strp_exp_2_1

About the Author

Italo Calvino (Italian: [ˈiːtalo kalˈviːno];[1] 15 October 1923 – 19 September 1985) was an Italian journalist and writer of short stories and novels. His best known works include the Our Ancestors trilogy (1952–1959), the Cosmicomics collection of short stories (1965), and the novels Invisible Cities (1972) and If on a winter's night a traveler (1979).

Lionised in Britain and the United States, he was the most-translated contemporary Italian writer at the time of his death, and a noted contender for the Nobel Prize for Literature.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italo_Calvino

Discussion, Questions & Themes:

quote:

The book explores imagination and the imaginable through the descriptions of cities by an explorer, Marco Polo. The book is framed as a conversation between the aging and busy emperor Kublai Khan, who constantly has merchants coming to describe the state of his expanding and vast empire, and Polo. The majority of the book consists of brief prose poems describing 55 cities, apparently narrated by Polo. Short dialogues between the two characters are interspersed every five to ten cities and are used to discuss various ideas presented by the cities on a wide range of topics including linguistics and human nature. The book is structured around an interlocking pattern of numbered sections, while the length of each section's title graphically outlines a continuously oscillating sine wave, or perhaps a city skyline. The interludes between Khan and Polo are no less poetically constructed than the cities, and form a framing device that plays with the natural complexity of language and stories.

Marco Polo and Kublai Khan do not speak the same language. When Polo is explaining the various cities, he uses objects from the city to tell the story. The implication is that each character understands the other through their own interpretation of what they are saying. They literally are not speaking the same language, which leaves many decisions for the individual reader.

The book, because of its approach to the imaginative potentialities of cities, has been used by architects and artists to visualize how cities can be,[1] their secret folds, where the human imagination is not necessarily limited by the laws of physics or the limitations of modern urban theory. It offers an alternative approach to thinking about cities, how they are formed and how they function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Cities

Pacing

No pacing or spoiler rules this month.

Further Resources:

I'm glad this got voted for because the actual travels of Marco Polo are a favorite read of mine. Free editions here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10636.

Background on Marco Polo: One thing that might be useful to keep in perspective is that Marco Polo was a proverbial liar: that is, his name literally became a n epithet for "liar" because nobody believed a goddam word he said when he got back. Problem is, the more we know, the more he actually seems to have been telling the truth. There are some weird points in his narrative (he mentions dragons, for example, but might've meant crocodiles) but on the whole all the supposed "craziest" things in his narrative, like the huge population of China or paper money or black rocks that burned, we all now know to have been perfectly true.

Background on Genghis (and, therefore, Kublai) Khan: http://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Khan-Making-Modern-World/dp/1491513705

Final Note:

If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
The book is also available on Oyster for those that subscribe.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Just finished Guns of August. Great book, it really...

Wait, I'm late, aren't I?

Anyway been meaning to read this for a while so have bought. Get some discussion going. Very whimsical so far, delicious turns of phrase.

The book on Khan looks good too.

chonz
Jan 4, 2015
Kublai Khan reminds me of a stodgy old guy. Really like the city that is built above a mirror image necropolis.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This is very convenient, I had also picked this for the little Facebook book club I do with some friends after the lit thread got me all excited about it. I'm about 20% through and I'm enjoying it. I was a bit worried I'd struggle without a real narrative, but the way it's organized into discrete little blocks makes it a nonissue.

So far I've just made sure I read full cities at a time -- not that that's real hard when they're a page or two -- but should I be trying to read complete sections or anything to get the most out of it? This is one of the less traditionally structured books I've read.

chonz
Jan 4, 2015
I just finished the book last night. I powered through it pretty fast, so I'm sure I missed some things. The way it's structured is interesting, in that it reminds me of zen parables, koans, or something akin to that. Each city's description is encapsulated and has some sort of greater truth behind them.

There's supposedly an illustrated copy of this book out there, which I would be interested in seeing.

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010
I picked up Invisible Cities only a month or two ago and I'm nearing the end of my current book so I'll be getting stuck into this soon.

Jack Weatherford's book is probably one of the most popular recent books on Ghengis Khan and the Mongols generally but it's super revisionist and gets panned for completely white-washing all the pillaging and mass-murder that went on. Since you linked to an audiobook, can I recommend instead, or in addition, Dan Carlin's podcast series on the subject? They're 4 free episodes, each about 90 mins long but really engaging; and he at least grapples with the importance of and changes brought by the Mongol invasions vs the extreme cost in human lives. http://www.dancarlin.com/product-tag/mongols/

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Finished this in one sitting on a train ride. While I really enjoyed it, I can't help feeling a little bit overwhelmed by it, as the places/ideas Calvino presents go by really quickly. Does anyone have any good secondary resources on the book?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
It felt much less like a novel than a piece of creative gymnastics. I can certainly respect and appreciate what the book did, and the fact that it succeeded in doing it. However, I am not quite sure if I can say that I liked it.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I'm about three-fourths the way through and I really like it. The intangible, dream-like, and poetic descriptions of the cities and associated ideas are quite fun to drift through. One thing I've been wondering about throughout is the intermittent emergence of modern technology, such as airports or refrigerators. This stands out to me especially since the use of these modern objects seems so unnecessary for the narrative; they could just as well be ships and dry food storage houses in my mind. Anyone have any guesses as to why the modern is brought in?

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

I'm also wondering that - is it an attempt to show that these are Calvino's travels, as well as Polo's? I particularly like the one about the same airport with a different name; that resonates with me.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, that's one good possibility.

On another note "Continuous Cities 3" is hilarious. With all the people multiplying over the years with their chubby smiling faces eating corn.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I think the random mentions of motorbikes are just a confirmation that the conversation between Marco Polo + Kublai Khan isn't really happening in a place or time. It's just happening, always is, always will be. I personally have always thought of Invisible Cities as being a description of Venice (the idea of Venice, rather than the actual physical place) that is being dealt with by saying every city Venice is not, because that would be much ezasier than saying what Venice is. In that way the conversation isn't a "real" conversation between two people, it's just a frame for the description of the eternal concept we call "Venice".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I figured the choice was made to be deliberately jarring and to break the reader's absorption in the text as a fiction and instead force them to be an active part of the dialog.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cithen posted:

I'm about three-fourths the way through and I really like it. The intangible, dream-like, and poetic descriptions of the cities and associated ideas are quite fun to drift through. One thing I've been wondering about throughout is the intermittent emergence of modern technology, such as airports or refrigerators. This stands out to me especially since the use of these modern objects seems so unnecessary for the narrative; they could just as well be ships and dry food storage houses in my mind. Anyone have any guesses as to why the modern is brought in?

Thanks for bringing this up, it was really jarring and I had the same question.

CestMoi posted:

I think the random mentions of motorbikes are just a confirmation that the conversation between Marco Polo + Kublai Khan isn't really happening in a place or time. It's just happening, always is, always will be. I personally have always thought of Invisible Cities as being a description of Venice (the idea of Venice, rather than the actual physical place) that is being dealt with by saying every city Venice is not, because that would be much ezasier than saying what Venice is. In that way the conversation isn't a "real" conversation between two people, it's just a frame for the description of the eternal concept we call "Venice".

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I figured the choice was made to be deliberately jarring and to break the reader's absorption in the text as a fiction and instead force them to be an active part of the dialog.

These are . . . really really good thoughts. I'd actually put the book down when I got to the first mention of airports or whatever and I couldn't figure out why it bothered me so much or what or how to think about it. Now I have some possible frames for that issue I think I can get back into the book again. Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 19, 2015

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

CestMoi posted:

I think the random mentions of motorbikes are just a confirmation that the conversation between Marco Polo + Kublai Khan isn't really happening in a place or time. It's just happening, always is, always will be.

I really like this theory, especially after finishing the book and being exposed to some more cities that really replicate the ideas of cyclical perpetuity and not knowing where to place one's self in space and time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oho! Need suggestions for next month!

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
How about from the whimsical to the practical?

Discover your inner economist : use incentives to fall in love, survive your next meeting, and motivate your dentist

Have enjoyed Invisible Cities, but need to be focusing in order to read it...

Also, some cities are better than others.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Only just started this, but it seems a lot sadder and more wistful than I was expecting. And it wastes no time in pissing all over travellers' tales as a genre...

Also lots of the cities have womens' or feminine names, so perhaps Calvino is making a point about objectification there.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oho! Need suggestions for next month!

Dorothy Dunnett, The Game of Kings, or maybe Queens' Play. I'm really interested in people's opinions on Dunnett in general.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing

roll tide

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Suggestions:
The Interrogation by J.M.G. Le Clézio

quote:

Le Procès-Verbal (English title: The Interrogation) is the first novel of French Nobel laureate writer J. M. G. Le Clézio, about a troubled man named Adam Pollo who "struggles to contextualize what he sees" and "to negotiate often disturbing ideas while simultaneously navigating through, for him, life’s absurdity and emptiness".[1]

My Struggle: Book One by Karl Ove Knausgård
His last name always makes me think of dog treats, plus look at this super intense portrait of him:

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I can get behind My Struggle.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Truth and Fiction Relating to My Life, by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was gonna wait till all the books were available in English and binge read them but I got volume 1 of My Struggle laying around here

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Throwing in my vote for My Struggle as well.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

Is there intention in that title? I was thinking how much fun it is going to be finding a copy online of a book that has the same translated title as Adolf Hitler's, but I'm guessing it's deliberate?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I'm honestly kinda reluctant to pick anything literally titled Mein Kamp. I'm not saying it's out, it's just. . yikes.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Here's what Wikipedia says about the process behind the unfortunate title:

quote:

As he struggled to write a novel about his relationship with his father, Knausgård set upon a new project in early 2008: to write less stylistically and deliberately and instead, to "write plainly about his life".[1] He wrote mainly to break his block with the other novel and thought that there would not be an audience for the work. Knausgård would call his friend and editor Geir Gulliksendaily and read the work aloud. Gulliksen felt that Knausgård needed encouragement to continue, and Knausgård felt that Gulliksen was essential to the project. Gulliksen eventually listened to 5,000 pages of the novel and proposed the series title, which he felt was perfect. The novel's Norwegian title,Min Kamp, is very similar to Hitler's Mein Kampf. Guilliksen originally forbade Knausgård from using the title, but later changed his mind. Knausgård's British publisher was not interested in the book.[1]

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Knausgård and his books are pretty controversial in Norway, but politics don't really play large part in it. That said, I don't know why he insists on the name, it sounds just as weird in Norwegian.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
In Germany the book has been titled "Dying".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This book is extremely my poo poo. I find it best to read each city as a sort of puzzle, but not one that had a definite solution but rather one that works for you. Read a few pages then start at the wall and let it settle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh, apologies for not getting February's thread up yet. It'll be Mein Kampf since that's what everyone wants. Thread should go up tomorrow.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

sebmojo posted:

This book is extremely my poo poo. I find it best to read each city as a sort of puzzle, but not one that had a definite solution but rather one that works for you. Read a few pages then start at the wall and let it settle.

Argh, see yeah this is probably true and I should tackle it again in this way.

But.

I just didn't dig it. Whether I'm too dumb, too impatient or otherwise I can't say, but it didn't connect save for a few exceptions.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

thehomemaster posted:

Argh, see yeah this is probably true and I should tackle it again in this way.

But.

I just didn't dig it. Whether I'm too dumb, too impatient or otherwise I can't say, but it didn't connect save for a few exceptions.

Actually, that's what I thought of it too. Which rather surprised me as I really loved the "Our Ancestors" stories. But in a lot of places I sensed Calvino was writing a puzzle based on something I didn't know enough about to decode, probably some literary theory. Unfortunately I'm totally ignorant of theory, but the "mirror cities" seemed to be gesturing in that direction. It is lovely and clever, but something about it seemed more forbidding than elusive (forbidding cities, haha.) Most of the "mysteries" I solved were pretty trifling.

Maybe the issue was just that I was too thick to spot the connections. At least I felt it was worth re-reading; whatever it was up to, it was big, ambitious, and beautiful. And when I do I'll probably re-read in a different order, either by city group or number.

It's probably a great toilet book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
http://www.openculture.com/2015/02/invisible-cities-illustrated-calvino.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Started watching Marco Polo on Netflix last night. As in, the gf turned it on while I was engaged with my iPad.

Perked up at the mention of Kublai Khan and then Marco giving a descriptive spiel.

• Locked thread