Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Waffleman_ posted:

The thing that bugs me about this is that the Wii U uses a more traditional controller, barring screen, so there's no need for Link to still be right handed. Us lefties need our role model back!

At least he's a lefty again in TPHD.

Did they flip the entire game world over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dpbjinc posted:

I can't really tell, but if Link's left-handed, it'd probably be a safe bet to assume the game is based on the GC version.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Inco posted:

How do I swing it left-to-right if it's not on the left to start?

Don't swing it left to right. Swing it center to right, or right to more right. The important thing is the direction it swings, and you can start from anywhere. That's what the boss is there to teach you to do.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nidoking posted:

Don't swing it left to right. Swing it center to right, or right to more right. The important thing is the direction it swings, and you can start from anywhere. That's what the boss is there to teach you to do.

So, to hit the boss, I have to swing away from the screen, and the boss? How terribly counter-intuitive.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

dpbjinc posted:

Why even did they do that for Twilight Princess? What was the point of that?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Xanderkish posted:

Why even did they do that for Twilight Princess? What was the point of that?

To compensate for link being right handed since most people are and would be holding the wiimote in their right hands.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Besides, this isn't even the first time in the series a game was flipped horizontally between versions. Master Quest was flipped just because.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Aithon posted:

Besides, this isn't even the first time in the series a game was flipped horizontally between versions. Master Quest was flipped just because.

Only the 3DS version was.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Cheez posted:

Only the 3DS version was.
Oh. It was the first time then. :v:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Here's my HOT GAME DESIGNER TAKE on skyward sword's controls:

Motion controls are cool. They did a bunch of neat innovative things with them and they feel good when they work right. HOWEVER the "when they work right" part is key because generally motion controls are fickle as hell. Basing all major control in your game on inputs that are inconsistent is not a good plan. Overall I think it was neat experimentation but suffers immensely from high dependence on inconsistent controls.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I say we got a lot of neat ideas out of motion controls, but most games I played would still be better with them being a button or a joystick. Gyro controls are now standard in every controller going forward, and they're a really hella good idea. The phablet approach of the Wii U seems more grounded in reality than the "Find/replace 'button' with 'waggle'" we got from most games on the Wii, so I'm happy they did that.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Motion controls seem to stem from the idea of doing something that feels natural. Like in Super Mario Bros Wii, a lot of people shake their controller in frustration when they miss a jump by a small amount - so have that be a special mini jump was pretty smart. Same with the ground slam in Donkey Kong Returns. Having it as the roll button in DKC:R or a whole set up in Zelda becomes an issue. Having you be able to slash the sword whenever you want with a quick flick of the wrist? Sure, I can get behind that, but when it comes down to having to have a specific angle at a specific time that you constantly have to re-center, kind of takes a good idea and trudges it through the mud.

That and breaking the tradition of using the same button to attack that you used to pick the item and instead having that be your put-away button and A be the only way to attack. Really messes with muscle memory from years of playing.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Skyward Sword's motion controls are cool and good and the best thing about that game, and it's a shame there will probably not be another Zelda game with those controls.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I say we got a lot of neat ideas out of motion controls, but most games I played would still be better with them being a button or a joystick. Gyro controls are now standard in every controller going forward, and they're a really hella good idea. The phablet approach of the Wii U seems more grounded in reality than the "Find/replace 'button' with 'waggle'" we got from most games on the Wii, so I'm happy they did that.

Gyro controls are fantastic for steering cars in racing games. Excite Truck was a revelation for me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The issue with Skyward Sword's controls seems to have come from weird-rear end janky environmental issues with calibration and ambient light that could deffo be eliminated in a future title, and I really want them back because they worked 100% of the time perfectly for me.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Late update but I'll be kicking this thread off to Baldurk once I stop being lazy and put 5 minutes in to making banners/images more consistent :v: Yakuza 2 will be at some point soonish! I'd like to capture most of the game and get a backlog going so my co-commentators aren't spoiled on some super cool stuff.

Yakuza is like Dark Souls in that some stuff is so rad that people can't seem to shut up about specific spoilery details!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Geop posted:

Yakuza is like Dark Souls

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

Late update but I'll be kicking this thread off to Baldurk once I stop being lazy and put 5 minutes in to making banners/images more consistent :v: Yakuza 2 will be at some point soonish! I'd like to capture most of the game and get a backlog going so my co-commentators aren't spoiled on some super cool stuff.

Yakuza is like Dark Souls in that some stuff is so rad that people can't seem to shut up about specific spoilery details!

i assume that VN is going to be forever preserved on lparchive.org?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kuvo posted:

i assume that VN is going to be forever preserved on lparchive.org?
yuuup

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Still waiting on Version 2.0 with the full Panzer & Geop path. Gotta get all the Pun Points. Also, hoping to see Please Drink More Better immortalized as well.

But yeah, looking forward to Yakuza 2 happening. Now more people will get to see the craziness that happens in it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Geop posted:

Yakuza is like Dark Souls

Does that mean we can have Squint back?

High-Water Marx
Dec 30, 2007

History is nothing but the actions of men in pursuit of gnarly waves

Oh poo poo, this is *exactly* what I was hoping for. I've never been able to play any of the Yakuza games and Geop seems like just the kind of host for the job.

Between that, ChipCheezum tackling Z.O.E. and Panzer / Kaubocks' respective choosegames we've got an embarrassment of LP riches.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

If Yakuza equals dark souls does this mean Geop is Lping dark souls 2 finally?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I'm going to inadvertently call a grappling hook a gripplebip in front of somebody and look like a crazy person thanks to you jerks.:mad:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Stormgale posted:

If Yakuza equals dark souls does this mean Geop is Lping dark souls 2 finally?

Yes. By this logic, LPing Yakuza 2 is LPing DS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Finally shuffling off to the archives! I'll get to Yakuza 2 at some point soon; just taking a bit of a hiatus! =] I'm still shuffling around on Twitter. Thanks so much for watching and participating, everyone!

• Locked thread