Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
7. Mailkimp remix
https://soundcloud.com/kpffkl/mail-kimp-remix

6. Crab a la Dwyer

5. Funny and seasonally appropriate meme

4. Shoutout to Scully and Mully-D

3. Classy infographic

2. Tyrone Biggums, podcast enthusiast

1. McConaughey FTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
memes are banable mods please take out the trash

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
somehow missed whateverthefuck this is all about, can some kindly person boil this down for me

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

scopes posted:

somehow missed whateverthefuck this is all about, can some kindly person boil this down for me
dick for bucks

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

dick for bucks

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i read the jay interviews at the intercept first without knowing anything about this so i think jay is right

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

scopes posted:

a podcast about an investigative journalist turning her notes from a failed story into a pop-culture phenomenon

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TEAYCHES posted:

i read the jay interviews at the intercept first without knowing anything about this so i think jay is right

yeah but jay's story changes so much in the intercept story that it totally destroys the prosecutor's original case. but maybe adnan did it and the prosecutor's case was wrong about all the details (because jay lied about them) because i don't know what other explanation would exist for why jay would lie

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah but jay's story changes so much in the intercept story that it totally destroys the prosecutor's original case. but maybe adnan did it and the prosecutor's case was wrong about all the details (because jay lied about them) because i don't know what other explanation would exist for why jay would lie

jay explains it pretty well, he lied to the cops because gently caress the cops and he was just protecting everyone around him. he changed his story when he didnt think it would affect other people he didnt think should be involved. its a clear case of lying but it didnt seem like lying about murder

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

but you are right, the interview was a terrible idea for him to do because any appeal case and lol adnan is free

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

scopes posted:

Extremely popular podcast from the creators of This American Life. It really blew up and got a ton of listeners. It even became mainstream enough for SNL to do an unfunny parody sketch.

It's basically a twelve hour long TAL episode about a murder that happened in the 90s. Suspect was put away on dubious evidence and Sarah Koenig tries to get to the bottom of it. She eventually concedes that she's as confused as the listeners and now season two is in preproduction.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
half sentence+rickety groan of skepticism

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Dinotron posted:

Extremely popular podcast from the creators of This American Life. It really blew up and got a ton of listeners. It even became mainstream enough for SNL to do an unfunny parody sketch.

It's basically a twelve hour long TAL episode about a murder that happened in the 90s. Suspect was put away on dubious evidence and Sarah Koenig tries to get to the bottom of it. She eventually concedes that she's as confused as the listeners and now season two is in preproduction.

is it worth bumping to the top of my podcast queue of holiday episodes of Risk! and the new WW1 Hardcore History

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TEAYCHES posted:

jay explains it pretty well, he lied to the cops because gently caress the cops and he was just protecting everyone around him. he changed his story when he didnt think it would affect other people he didnt think should be involved. its a clear case of lying but it didnt seem like lying about murder

yeah i get he was protecting people, but the prosecution's entire timeline is now wrecked and looks basically impossible. it suddenly went from "he pre-planned the murder" (necessary to obtain the conviction the prosecution wanted) to it was a crime of passion. the cell phone pings no longer make sense. everything is off now, jay has totally wrecked the case. it's pretty reasonable to believe at this point that if jay would lie to protect his family & reputation, who is to say he wasn't coerced into being someone else's accomplice and then pin the murder on adnan?

i mean, i feel like adnan probably did it but there is basically no case to hang that conclusion on.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

scopes posted:

is it worth bumping to the top of my podcast queue of holiday episodes of Risk! and the new WW1 Hardcore History

it's good

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Concerned Citizen posted:

yeah i get he was protecting people, but the prosecution's entire timeline is now wrecked and looks basically impossible. it suddenly went from "he pre-planned the murder" (necessary to obtain the conviction the prosecution wanted) to it was a crime of passion. the cell phone pings no longer make sense. everything is off now, jay has totally wrecked the case. it's pretty reasonable to believe at this point that if jay would lie to protect his family & reputation, who is to say he wasn't coerced into being someone else's accomplice and then pin the murder on adnan?

i mean, i feel like adnan probably did it but there is basically no case to hang that conclusion on.

i literally have no other side of the story and jay seemed like a believable piece of crap, warts and all

i 100% agree that it will probably result in adnan winning any future appeal

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

serial was a pretty good podcast. i hate the internet because a kind of amusing thing like crab crib aside in that one ep is now a thing and also every retard in the world has made the same "MAIL KIMP DID IT" joke

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

when this was posted initially someone called the intercept out on the story.. on... reddit.. and glenn greenwald responded perfectly in a goddamn hilarious but trial lawyer fashion:

quote:

1) Natasha did explicitly ask him about his inconsistencies, and he explained at length why his story is different now.

2) As any trial lawyer will tell you, there are all sorts of ways to effectively question witnesses who are lying. Attacking them as a prosecutor is often not the best way; in fact, it can be the worst way, since it makes the witness defensive and clam up. That's particularly true when they are there voluntarily.

Natasha is acting here as a journalist, which means she wants everyone to have as much information as possible about Jay's story. That means letting him speak and getting his full claims on the record. All over the internet, and the comment section, people are dissecting Jay's inconsistencies from this interview, which means it was extremely effective.

3) Rabia Chaudry - the person who did more to bring this case to light than anyone - has repeatedly said on her Twitter feed that she views Natasha's interview as one of the most important events yet in showing that Jay's testimony is completely unreliable, and specifically thanked her for the way she conducted the interview: by letting him speak:
https://twitter.com/rabiasquared
If I were Adnan's lawyer, I'd be salivating over how to use this interview, which contains huge number of Jay's statements that I'd use against him.

It may have been more emotionally satisfying to some pro-Adnan listeners - from an entertainment perspective - if Natasha had gotten in his face and repeatedly demanded that he explain specific inconsistencies, but from a journalistic perspective, she chose the best possible approach for letting readers get as much information as they could.

If you see the inconsistencies in Jay's story, then other readers do, too. Nobody needs Natasha beating everyone over the head with it [for it to be] clear.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

what's with all the narrative podcasts lately, they're gay

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

krampster2 posted:

what's with all the narrative podcasts lately, they're gay

i like them a lot

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

snl actually had a funny skit because of serial so thats one good thing

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:regd13:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

gonna be so rad when Adnan kills again

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

scopes posted:

he's pretending a thing exists to make a joke

it's bad

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why is daria narrating this. why does everyone sound like daria in this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Do you even know what a meme is OP? None of those pics you posted are memes. They are pics with text on them.

Saying "I'm gay" is a meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

scopes posted:

If you like This American Life, specifically the stories that Sarah Koenig narrates, then you'll probably like Serial. It's darker and more explicit than the stuff you'd typically hear on your local NPR affiliate.

• Locked thread