Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hot 2 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:

Classes drag on excruciatingly. Victoria's mind is distinctly elsewhere, pondering her various turns at Fortress. Her thoughts on the matter make up the neatest parts of her notes. Gwen, Amanda and Karen get some chat and some hugs, along with a promise (Warning?) of later planning for the excursion. In the meantime, Victoria will need to content herself heading home, and that means piling into the SUV for the drive back to the house, stuffed in with the other charges. 'Siblings' some people call them. Right.

Victoria's relieved to stride through the opulent marble of the foyer, soaking in the luxury. It just tastes so...right. Natural. Every part of her life should be like this. "Later" she says dismissively to her fellows, heading for her room....a process complicated by the set of work-lights and two rather grumbly plumbers.

"Why the gently caress are you in my room?"

"Water pipe," the older, fatter plumber says."Got a leak here," he gestures with his wrench at a portion of the wall that's been cut out. "Worked into the floor. Gonna be a while."

"Who let that happen?" Fat plumber shrugs. Victoria's getting increasingly red. "Think they're putting you up with one of your friends," skinny plumber says, from his position with his face buried in the wall.

Victoria's eyes go wide. "Who?" "Wouldn't know," skinny plumber answers.

Victoria comes flying down the hall, looking for a staff person. In so doing, she nearly collides with Violet.

"Watch it," Victoria warns, clearly in a bad mood. "You just...stalking around again?" she asks, narrowing her eyes.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Boy Scout

What the - oh, something is interfering...music? Wait, what? Who decided to start playing it now? I follow the noise, and head into the unfinished dining room. I see a couple of the others also walking around for some reason, but I just go past them. Once inside the room, I see the woman who interrupted my conversation with the Moon, an iPod in the dock. I walk over and shut it off, trying not to show my annoyance.

"Can I help you?"

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 8, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Playbook
Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions: Blaming Freddy, Creepy

I'm surprised, but in a good way, when jackie offers to help me find my ipod. She's usually so... locked up in her own thoughts. I didn't think she liked me. "Thanks."

Then things get weird when we find the new girl. Is she one of Mr. Young's wards? You'd think he would introduce her, or something. Also, she looks cool. Everyone has cooler clothes than me. Also, she likes Nirvana. Bonus.

"It's about pain," I say, as Zach turns the player off. "About how nobody understands, even the ones who pretend like they understand. It's one of my favorites." I push my hair back behind my ears. "Um, hi. My name's Alex."

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Playbook
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions:

I've put a lot of work into that tower room. I cleansed its energies and I've done a few ceremonies there, just me and the gods and goddesses. I found a ritual of Joining the Moon that a priest can do, and that was a really powerful working.

Last night I lit a nice new candle and said a spell I was researching to help my love become requited, and it looks like it's working! So naturally I go running up there after school, and what do I find? A big trophy case has been stuck in front of the door to the stairs. What the hell?

I try shoving it but it won't budge with just me. I'm gonna have to go get some help.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot 0 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

"What's it to you, Babydoll?" she asks, swiping the pack of cigarettes and pulling one out. She shakes her head slightly to whip a stray strand of hair out of her face as she lights the cigarette and blows a plume of smoke out the broken window.

Rolling to turn Victoria on.
2d6: 9 [2d6=6, 3]
Violet's too cool for school.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Hot 1 | Cold 0 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1

Playbook

Alex is getting up in her face, and I can't say I blame him. Did she just grab it from whatever place Alex actually left it? Still, I -am- curious. Is she going to be another one of us? No need to head out yet.

Sorry if it seems like this post isn't doing anything, but I'm awaiting her response to Zach's question.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"Nothing," Victoria replies, with an immediate snap that gets immediately undercut by her softening posture. "Violet," she says. "I....crap, my room is screwed," she says. "Some kind of plumbing problem. They said they moved all my stuff." It's well known around the house how much Victoria hates people messing with her stuff. "You did good with Freddy," Violet says. "Color me jealous, you beat me to the...punch." she chuckles. "We're more like than you realize."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

The young woman rises from her seat and runs her fingers through her hair. "Actually, I'm here to help you." You can't quite place her accent, but it seems African. She turns her head from Zach to Alex with slow deliberation. "Hello. I'm Nadia," she says, offering a hand. She leaves it hanging there as she pushes her butt up onto the table, sitting in front of Zach. "There was a break-in through the foyer window, I'm afraid. No one was hurt, but your father asked me to stay a few days. He didn't want you to be here all alone."

Victoria, don't forget to pick your response to Violet's Turn On Move.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

I raise an eyebrow and glance at Vickie's clothes. "Yeah, right. You'd be lucky if you only broke a nail instead of getting snapped in half by Freddy. Besides, since when do you get down and dirty?" I might not be the smartest but I'm not an idiot, she's gotta be buttering me up so she has a place to evacuate all her poo poo to if her room's really that busted.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook

I reach out to tentatively shake Nadia's limp hand; you don't have to be a ghost to feel weirdness radiating off her like pot fumes from a stoner.

"So, how do you know Mr. Young?" I ask, trying for politeness.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Nadia takes Alex's hand with thin, bony fingers. "He's my uncle. By marriage," she continues after a short pause. "Andrea was my aunt." She seems pleasant, but at a loss--too old to be your classmate, but too young to have a script for talking to you. "So...how was school?"

Upstairs, Toby notices scratches around the edge of the trophy case which it doesn't quite hide. A tiny glint of light catches his eye, and he sees specks of glass that weren't vacuumed out of the seams in the hardwood floor. Sure enough, a nearby wastebasket contains the remains of a broken water glass. Someone came in and out in a hurry.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Playbook

"School was... fine. Um, glad you found your thing, Alex."

Immediate tactical retreat from this "niece" - she's creepy as all getup, and apparently isn't a fan of the idea of personal property. I've got a lot on my mind, anyway. After heading to my room getting changed out of school clothes, I start my routine. Start off with stretching...
What's that other voice of his?

Sit-ups. Remember - if it doesn't hurt, it isn't doing anything.
Will it hurt people? Can it?

No punching bag, but the wall's fine. I barely feel anything anymore, through the callouses.
What does it want? And how can I kill it?

---
Going to finally use that Gaze 10 on Eddie. I'll have lucid visions and carry 1 forward to whatever I gotta do.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jackie tears off, worried about her stuff I presume. A break in, huh? It's weird - there were no police and the staff seemed fine. Then again, maybe this is how really rich people handle this kind of situation?

"Did they take anything or do something?"

Kind of odd for Mr. Young to send someone over when there's all these people who already work here.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"You might be surprised," Victoria says, her approach to Violet taking on a distinctively slinky motion. Her head tilts just so, a hand landing on Violet's shoulder. "I can be very down...." another hand to Violet's hip. "and dirty," she finishes, a close-mouthed smile on her face, eyes sparkling with mischief.

I was getting to it!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook

I withdraw my hand, with some difficulty, and look around nervously.

"I didn't even know Mr. Young had family," I say truthfully. "Uh, school was... fine. Little crazy, first day back and everything." Tactfully, I pick up my music player and stick it in my pocket, where it will, hopefully, stay. "So... I guess you must live around here, or something? To get here so fast, after the break in?"

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

drat, she might be better at this game than I am. Probably should have seen that coming now that I think about it. "Oh Victoria..." I breathe out, my lips inches from hers before my mouth curls into a smirk. "I didn't realize you were that desperate."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Victoria locks eyes with Violet, otherwise unmoving. "You wish," she says, her self-satisfied smirk growing, just a bit.

Trying to shut Violet down.
Shut down Violet: 2d6+1 6
Mmmmnope. +1 experience, though!

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 14, 2015

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"You're the one asking to crash in my room." I grin. "But I suppose I won't let the poor damsel sleep on one of the million couches around here, eh? Just watch out, I bite."

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Suppose I should probably post something.

Playbook
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

"Hey Violet," I say, poking my head around the corner, "can you help me with --- wait, what?" Is she really about to make out with Victoria? In front of me? That's ... that's not fair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Nadia scoots off the table and leads you through a still-unfinished hallway. Chips of paint and plaster still litter the floor, and everything from old mattresses to old paintings lean against the walls. She snatches a roll of blue painter's tape from the top of a barrel, then crosses her arms, chilled by the draft blowing through the passageway. "I live all over the world...but mainly in Lagos. Almost all of Marcus' family are in the shipping business." The hall winds around to the foyer, and she indicates the broken window before setting to work taping over the hole. "They snatched a few things...some old books and some candlesticks I think, but Marcus leaves so much junk lying around..." she pauses from her efforts to shrug.

Upstairs, Violet and Victoria's tete a tete is interrupted not only by Toby, but a figure in the doorway. It's the thin plumber. Now that his face is turned from the wall, you see he's not so old and grizzled as his fat friend. Handsome, even, with blonde curls peeking out from under his baseball cap. But he looks tired, like he's been working since last night and plans to work through this one, and his eyes are red and itchy. "Hey the drywall in here is totally...okay." He sees what Toby sees and stops in his tracks. "Huh. She told us you were sisters. That's different."

Meanwhile, Jackie's focus is on the sharp smack of her fists against the wall. It's amazing how certain things come into focus when you're not afraid to let your knuckles bleed. One. One two. One two three. One two three four. One two uppercut. So, a voice. A voice that isn't Eddie's. He's human, after all. You've seen his parents at school functions, and they act the way you expect parents to act. And while Eddie may be an rear end in a top hat, he is most of the time your standard garden-variety rear end in a top hat, the kind who knocks other kids' books out of their hands and makes dick-shaped arts-and-crafts behind the teacher's back. Not the kind of monster who makes a girl an orphan. One two. One two. One, one, overhand. One uppercut three four.

But there's something in there with him, something that complements Eddie without mixing perfectly, like oil and vinegar. Voices in bodies where they don't belong? You've seen it before. But Brody, whoever it is, doesn't seem afraid of anything. And anyway, it can go where it wants in a second. Eddie can't, trapped in that body. Trapped in that body, vulnerable like the rest of us. Trapped and full of rage.

Back upstairs, the plumber looks past VIolet and Victoria to Toby, seeing the hurt in his eyes. "What's eating you, mack? You look like somebody ate your lunch." A grin spreads across his face as he pulls a dirty cloth from his overalls and wipes sweat from his brow. As the rag covers and uncovers his face, it occurs to Toby that his eyes don't look bloodshot. What moves across the whites of his eyes looks more like a flickering flame.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I don't know why, but something feels a little...off about this situation. Nadia is most likely telling the truth about someone breaking in, but I think she's hiding something else.

"So Mr. Young wants you to stay here? Are you going to watch over us or something while you're here?"

As she answers I focus on not just her words, but her body langauge, her facial expressions, her scent...anything to let me know what she's up to. If she is up to anything.

Heightened Senses: 2d6-1 8

Asking "What's their secret weakness?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Victoria hear Toby and turns just her head, shooting him a sidelong, dismissive glance. "You wish," Victoria snorts, dropping her hands from Violet and moving to re-establish personal space. Too late to keep the thin plumber from noticing, certainly. "Sisters?" Victoria asks, making a faint gagging gesture. "God forbid."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook

I take a roll of tape and start to help Nadia, partly because it gives me something to do with my hands, partly to cover the fact that I don't know where Lagos is -- isn't that, like, near Vietnam? -- and partly because... well. windows don't tape themselves, y'know? Not that the breeze bothers me but it's the principle of the thing. I'm haunting this house, dang it.

"I wonder if it was a high school kid who broke in," I say out loud. "Seems like a real serious thief would have taken more stuff, or... or at least raided the medicine cabinet looking for pills or something. Smashing a window and swiping the first thing you find sounds like a teenage prank."

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"Hey Toby." I say as if he hadn't walked in on Victoria and me almost making out. Guys like chicks making out, so he'll probably be cool with this, right?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

| Carry Forwards: 1 towards figuring out Eddie.
Playbook

So he's a secondary concern. Something I can maybe sort out when we're back at school - no need to sneak out or anything, but not something I should ignore, because something is definitely off.

So let's get out of gym clothes. Shower, put some hydrogen peroxide on the knuckles. gently caress, that hurts a lot more than the actual dents did. As I'm heading back towards the foyer, I notice some older guy in overalls. Well, not too much older. Peeking into the room he's standing in front of, I give Toby a raised eyebrow, as if to ask "what's the deal?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Alex, you don't know if wolves can smell fear, but you certainly can. You're not sure how it comes together--something in the sweat, probably--but Nadia is afraid. Not panicked, not deep bone-chilling fear, but she's dreading something. She doesn't know how to deal with it, and she doesn't know how to deal with you kids, either. "I'll be around," she replies to Zachary without turning around. Alex, you're probably right. But I could use the vacation now that the Christmas rush is over. If rowdy kids are going to drive all the way out here to play pranks, we're going to need more than painter's tape. Just having more people around the grounds is good. Marcus was adamant about not hiring guards."

Upstairs is where it's happening. The fat plumber joins his friend in the doorway. The taller of the two, he casts a long shadow past him. "Sorry. Our mistake," he says, patting the thin one on the shoulder. "Is she here, George?"

George squints, as if trying to see something far away, and locks eyes with Jackie. He winks. "She's here, William. Is it time?"

"I think it is," replies the fat one with his hands on his hips. He's grinning like mad, like his friend, with his hands on his hips. "Just in time to be too late. I think that's perfect."

"It is perfect, George. It really is." He pulls a claw hammer from the loop in his jeans and lunges at Victoria.

Victoria, roll to hold steady.

What do you do?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

| Carry Forwards: 1 towards figuring out Eddie.
Playbook

What the hell?

They're after -me-. I can tell by the way he looked me in the eyes. Is it him?They were waiting for me to show up, and while me and Victoria have had our issues, I'm not letting anyone get hurt in my place.

"Get out of the way!"

The welcome and familiar warmth of adrenaline, and my brain's working in overdrive. If she doesn't move, I can push her out of the way, and maybe block that hammer. If she does, maybe I can get a shot in while he spends crucial milliseconds adjusting his aim.

As the IC says, either Taking the Blow for Victoria or Lashing Out Physically at her attacker (if her hold steady lets her get out of the way or whatever). Either way, it's volatile, so I'll just roll it now.
Volatile: 2d6+1 7
I'll either take the hit without reduction or let him choose if he wants to deal 1 harm back to me.
Marking XP

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I knew it! Now to just get her to admit it and tell us what exactly is going on around here.

"You think it's just some kids playing pranks too? Then what are you so afraid of?" Before she can try and deny it, I continue. "I can tell. You know, it probably would help us if we knew what to expect. We're not children, I'd rather know what's out there then get surprised by it."

Manipulate Nadia: 2d6+2 11 Includes +1 forward

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook

Something about Nadia's fear, perversely, makes me feel happy. It's not mean-spirited; I think it's just relief that I'm not the only one who's afraid all the time about everything. I start to put a comforting hand on her shoulder, but I flinch back at the last second, and end up awkwardly patting her. "Whatever you're afraid of, you don't have to worry," I assure her. "We'll be okay. We're..." I trail off, my mouth moving, trying to find words. I'm already dead, Zach's big and strong and growly, Violet is a cool badass, and Jackie and Victoria are, in totally opposite ways, the two deeply scariest girls I've ever met. Only Toby's really vulnerable.

"We're going to be fine. Nobody'd really try to hurt anyone in Mr. Young's house."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Super drat awkward. Here she am, grinding up on Violet - Violet, of all people - and in front of Toby, something that should give her pause and doesn't. In front of Jackie...in front of strangers. Should but doesn't. WTF?

Those concerns, whatever awkwardness there is gets pushed aside as a fucker with an actual claw hammer attacks her. Victoria screams bloody murder, her arm jolting up to block the hammer-arm, just as Jackie comes barreling in. "Who died and made you loving Batman!?" Victoria snarls, even as she pushes hard against her attacker. Girl must have had some martial arts classes back there somewhere.

Hold Steady against attack: 2d6+1 11
Success, and it was cool so marking 1 XP (shown above). Presuming that 'Who the hell are these guys and why are they attacking' isn't a valid question, will carry one forward.
I also presume I can't use Streaming to summon my gang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"Wow, you're making all kinds of friends today, Victoria." I manage to quip with minimal shakiness in my voice. Getting jumped by god drat plumbers? gently caress me. "George, was it?" I turn my attention to the other guy. "Getting all up in peoples' literal poo poo not enough for ya?" I duck past the brawl already in progress to throw a punch at him but this whole situation still has me kind of rattled. Victoria already had me kind of wired and now this is just throwing me off my game. I feel my foot hit the floor at the wrong angle and slip, making me stumble right into the guy. poo poo.

2d6+1: 6 [2d6=2, 3]
Lashing out physically and falling short.

• Locked thread