Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
It is pretty, and it has a bunch of my music in it. You should download it and play with it. You can also load your own music into it and see how that looks. If you have an Oculus Rift DK2 you can experience it in VR!

It's just a prototype, and there may be some bugs. Let me know if you have any troubles, or if you think this kind of music visualisation tool has potential and should be developed further.

I've included a Windows and a Mac version, but I haven't been able to test the Mac version. If you have a Mac, please let me know if it works!

YouTube demo
Website for download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had a go inside the rift, definitely has potential and I liked the changing from day to night as you walked from certain areas. I'm very keen on the idea of VR music visualizers, Visir is good but limited, and milkdrop as a 360 degree wraparound in VR desktop is great but not actually stereoscopic. I'm still not entirely at ease with walking around first person inside VR so I couldn't stay in too long without feeling uneasy.

Maybe a an on-rails tour through certain areas (I'm a lot more comfortable with seated cockpit style VR than FPS movement), or one that is procedurally generated with the music so it becomes different every song. In fact the whole "universe" of your visualiser changing dramatically with each song would be really cool, so there is always something new to look at as the music plays rather than becoming too familiar with the surroundings.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Hella rad, man.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

I had a go inside the rift, definitely has potential and I liked the changing from day to night as you walked from certain areas. I'm very keen on the idea of VR music visualizers, Visir is good but limited, and milkdrop as a 360 degree wraparound in VR desktop is great but not actually stereoscopic. I'm still not entirely at ease with walking around first person inside VR so I couldn't stay in too long without feeling uneasy.

Maybe a an on-rails tour through certain areas (I'm a lot more comfortable with seated cockpit style VR than FPS movement), or one that is procedurally generated with the music so it becomes different every song. In fact the whole "universe" of your visualiser changing dramatically with each song would be really cool, so there is always something new to look at as the music plays rather than becoming too familiar with the surroundings.

I made an on-rails tour system this last week actually. Works great and looks kinda cool, but it does make me feel a little strange when your character turns corners. Needs work. This VR business is super experimental still.

In the meantime I'm implementing a fade-in/fade-out teleportation system so you can get to the interesting places without having to walk around and make yourself sick.

I have also set it up so you can switch between scenes live now... just need to put in some kind of loading screen, because it's brutal being in the rift and having a frozen screen for the 5 seconds it takes to load a new scene. Very disorienting.

I'm aiming to get a new version with a bunch of new features up within the next couple weeks.

Radiapathy posted:

Hella rad, man.

Thanks dude, glad you liked it.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
With the on-rails thing, it might work if you were in some sort of static cabin like a train carriage or something just to give some stable points of reference. I tried the vox machinae demo and noticed that when turning if I focused on the glass front and windscreen supports I was fine but when I shifted my view out into the distance I felt uneasy, so looking at the outside world on a piece of slightly tinted glass might be enough to trick the brain into thinking eveything is cool. The fade in and out will probably work, in some demos I would actually close my eyes when turning to simulate just that. You could even tie it in with an accelerated sunrise/sunset to explain the sudden darkness.

The best way of moving between scenes I have experienced so far was in sightline: the chair, just looking away and looking back and being somewhere else entirely worked surprisingly well. I have no idea how hard it would be to implement, but a scene change where the existing scene fell and folded back like it was a cheap movie set could be a good way of transitioning between areas without physically moving. That or a Portal style ...portal that opens up in front of you and rushes past bringing you to a new place would also be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Yeah, we've come to the same conclusion. For on-rails to work decently your brain needs to believe it's in a vehicle of some description.

On the bright side the teleportation with fade out/in works great and is not even slightly unsettling for either me or my tester buddy.

• Locked thread