Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trabisnikof posted:

Which, if you've ever walked around an old oil field, you know that gathering pipes can get pretty leaky.
Yeah, it seems odd to include those since they are a part of every transport system and not specific to large pipelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah, it seems odd to include those since they are a part of every transport system and not specific to large pipelines.

Yeah, but the category isn't large pipes but onshore and coastal pipes. The API's point was "look how much less we're spilling than we used to! And also seeps are worse!" So it makes sense to include if you're trying to show how much better things are now.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Where exactly has this happened?

Exactly one google search, first result . Kalamazoo Michigan, 35 miles of river hosed. in 2010. it took till 2012 before you could even swim in it much less drink it. The operators ignored the alarm for 17 hours. Hell they dumped 42,000 gallons into yellowstone like 3 weeks ago. That wasn't nearly as bad but there was a bottled ware only suggestion for awhile, probably because it was just oil not heated bitumen sludge and 42,000 (like 5 trucks worth) gallons vs 1.1 million.

The first was Bitumen. XL goes over the Ogallala aquifer and if the former happens Texas to North Dakota are hosed. Every method of transporting spills oil. Pumping this kinda of toxic poo poo over kind of important to live areas has a non-zero chance to do massive damage. If a train or truck spilled their load it would be a bitch to clean doable (I doubt every single railcar would spill if it was a train). Pipe the leak alarm doesn't work or they ignore it as a false alarm?

I'm not some nimby hippy. It has to be transported somehow. But we trusted BP when they said they could handle drilling that deep if something goes wrong and hosed that biosyjtem nice and hard. Truck it, train it pipe it I don't care but at least use SOME common sense.

Essentially http://www.ucobserver.org/features/2013/09/canadian_oil/ but 1/4 of the country

Toasticle fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 2, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Toasticle posted:

Exactly one google search, first result . Kalamazoo Michigan, 35 miles of river hosed.
Would you say Calhoun County Michigan qualifies as a "massive chunk of civilization"?

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 2, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I"d say pretty much the entire state of Michigan isn't a "massive chunk of civilzation", much less one part of it

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
Fine, potentially. Which again was my original question. This has the potential to do gulf level damage except to us and not a chunk of the ocean. Its not like I'm agains it flat out but if means a longer pipe that doesn't have the potential for that level of risk, I'd be mostly fine with it.

Theres always risk but theres a certain point where you just can't allow that risk. Take Fukushima. Even after that I'm fine with nuclear power although I'd prefer it government (The Navy specifically) run then you don't have a power company building at a massive tsunami risk site and surprise they can't figure out how to unffuck it. Between that and the BP Gulf spill its not this kind of stuff is unheard of.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Would you say Calhoun County Michigan qualifies as a "massive chunk of civilization"?

Hey, they make fantastic grills up there

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Hey, they make fantastic grills up there

Well they certainly have the fuel floating around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

If you're going to ask for an example of a certain amount of civilization destroyed by a spill, you need to set some parameters instead of waving away anything provided. Calhoun County might not have a huge population (a mere 136,000 people, which is a lot of people to wave away), but the Kalamazoo River is a significant river that runs through several counties before draining into Lake Michigan, and I think that Lake Michigan would qualify as a massive chunk of anything that you include Lake Michigan in.

• Locked thread