Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
Thought this was a football thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It can be! I like that every football dude thanks God. God loves every player and every team equally. Thanks God thanks for my touchdown.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Zartosht posted:

Actually she's a Goddess, OP.

Hail discordia

eris isn't a goddess of luck tho. chaos isn't the same thing, it's not some beneficent force. i mean trap sprung, but luck as the god of atheists is dumb because unless you're propitiating luck (which if you do that you're no an atheist) you aren't acknowledging it's divinity.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Peztopiary posted:

eris isn't a goddess of luck tho. chaos isn't the same thing, it's not some beneficent force. i mean trap sprung, but luck as the god of atheists is dumb because unless you're propitiating luck (which if you do that you're no an atheist) you aren't acknowledging it's divinity.

Luck isn't necessarily beneficent either, there's good luck and bad luck. "Luck" in general just means random chance.

For real tho, I was just being facetious, and really when most people talk about luck they're just referring to the general unpredictability of life and their hopes for good things to happen. When people wish others "good luck" it doesn't necessarily imply they actually think they can affect luck any way, or that it's a "force" of any kind. It's similar to how people use the term "nature".

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
what we think of as luck is just human perception ascribing meaning onto an arbitrary universe

nothing you say or think or anything that happens has any inherent value hth

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
so when i say i wish you luck it's the atheist equivalent of saying ill pray for you?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Broenheim posted:

so when i say i wish you luck it's the atheist equivalent of saying ill pray for you?

Basically yeah.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
'cept you probably actually mean it? generally people don't wish people good luck half-heartedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

arbitrarily declaring there is not a god is exactly as much a religion as christianity or scientology, in that it is impossible to prove a negative

chew on THAT athiests :smug:

wtf i already did this

find your own schtick, rear end in a top hat

• Locked thread