Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

excidium posted:

At this point we have 5 QBs on the roster: Alex Smith, Chase Daniel, Tyler Bray, Aaron Murray, Terelle Pryor. Bray has been in the system a few years now, Murray in his 2nd year, and Pryor just signed to a future/reserve contract. I don't think anyone assumes they are going into TC with 5 QBs. I would say they are most likely comfortable with Bray/Murray as #2, maybe even Pryor since he has starting experience. I think Daniel is as good as gone with his cap hit and the replacements are peanuts comparatively.

Daniel won't wear a Chiefs uniform next year. Simply won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Rebuilding a Defense: The New York Giants

Projected Cap Space: $17,376,246

Breakdown
Team Cap: $140,162,914
Active Spending: $119,369,139
Dead Money: $3,417,529

Notable Free Agents
Antrel Rolle (S)
Jason Pierre-Paul (DE)
Walter Thurmond (CB)
Stevie Brown (S)
Jacquian Wlliams (LB)
Mike Patterson (DT)
Henry Hynoski (FB)
Quentin Demps (S)
John Jerry (G)

The Giants rebounded from a truly abysmal 2013 season by having a below-average 2014 season plagued by injuries, finishing 17th on offense in WPA on offense owing to Eli Manning throwing 13 fewer interceptions and managing to draft one of the most exciting offensive rookies in the league. While improving on offense, the team regressed on defense, dropping to 23rd in WPA with poor showings against both the pass and the run. Coming into 2015, defense will be a priority for the team. Unlike last year, the team has cap room to maneuver this year, and should easily be able to clear up the space it needs to sign rookies, re-sign its key free agents, and make 1-2 mid-range acquisitions in free agency.

Possible Cap Casualties
Peyton Hillis (RB)
Mathias Kiwanuka (DE)
Jon Beason (LB)
David Wilson (RB)

The return of Peyton Hillis from being a school teacher to having another year of play with the Giants was a fun story, but it’s time for the Giants to move on. Hillis doesn’t have a huge contract, but at $945k, he’s still overpaid for the value he produces. He’ll be an easy cut.

A much sadder story is David Wilson’s, who should make his retirement official this offseason, taking $1.3M off the books for the Giants.

Some potential cuts we may see this offseason are Mathias Kiwanuka and Jon Beason. Kiwanuka has been a soldier for the team, but he didn’t have a particularly productive 2014 before missing the final 5 games with a knee injury. With a cap hit of $7.45M heading into 2015 and turning 32 in March, he may have played his final snap as a Giant. If the Giants choose to release Kiwanuka, they’ll save $4.825M against the cap and add $2.625M in dead money.

A similar case, Beason just turned 30 and missed the most of the 2014 season with a toe injury that required surgery. Beason hasn’t played a full season since 2010. Given his history and the need to improve on defense, the Giants may decide to move on from his $7.37M cap hit. Cutting Beason before the fifth day of the league year will allow the Giants to avoid paying his roster and workout bonuses, letting them save $4.43M in cap room for 2015.

On the free agent side, the Giants probably let Stevie Brown, Quintin Demps, Walter Thurmond, and John Jerry walk. None had a strong enough 2015 to warrant bringing them back as anything more than a veteran camp body.

Extensions/Restructures
Depending on what it will cost the team to retain Jason Pierre-Paul, the Giants may look to restructure Eli Manning’s contract. Manning has a $17M base salary in 2015, giving him a cap hit of $19.75M, among the highest in the league. Manning will be in the final year of his contract in 2015, so any restructuring of his deal needs to come with an extension, likely in the area of 3-4 years. A 4-year extension will carry Manning through his 38th birthday and allow the Giants to convert up to $16M of base salary to signing bonus, and save up to $4M in cap space this year. Even if the team doesn’t need to clear cap room, an extension for Manning is still very likely.

Another extension target is Prince Amukamara, who is entering the final year of his contract. Amukamara missed the second half of the 2014 season with a torn bicep but prior to his injury he was a key piece in one of the team’s only defensive points of strength. Amukamara’s $6.9M salary becomes guaranteed in March, so it’s possible we may see a new deal could happen prior to that. An extension for Amukamara won’t come with a Richard Sherman-like price tag, but it could look something like Brandon Carr or Jonathan Joseph’s, in the $48-52M range over 5 years.

Finally, the Giants will have to figure out what to do with Victor Cruz. Cruz suffered a torn patellar tendon in week 6 that landed him on IR for the second consecutive season after needing knee surgery last season. Early reports suggest that the injury is more serious than an ACL tear and could derail Cruz’s career, particularly if it inhibits his ability to make fast cuts. The team may consider asking Cruz to take a pay cut if he isn’t 100% (the Giants have done this in the past with Webster and Kiwanuka), as his $8.125M cap hit can’t be super-palatable for a guy who may not be 100% for another season. Still, if Cruz can recover from the injury, Cruz and Beckham could be one of the league’s scariest receiver tandems.

Savings Recap:
Proposed cuts: $11.505M
Extensions: --
Total: $11.505M
Cap Space: $28.88M

Free Agents
The biggest question mark for the Giants this offseason is Jason Pierre-Paul. JPP has been inconsistent over the past three years as he’s recovered from injury, never quite regaining his 2011 form, though he did come close with a 12.5-sack performance in 2014. As a DE, JPP could command a hefty contract if the Giants let him hit the market, so he’s a potential franchise tag target for the team. Tagging Pierre-Paul would cost the Giants a hefty $14.68M in 2015 and push the issue back a year. If the Giants do let JPP test the open market, there’s a very good chance he’ll find a team willing to overpay him. While JJ Watt money is unlikely in this situation, we could see JPP get a deal similar to that of St. Louis DE Robert Quinn, currently on a 4-year $57M contract with $41M guaranteed. Something in the area of $50-60M sounds about right for JPP, but that number could go higher if some team gets desperate for a pass rusher.

After JPP, the Giants will need to make a decision on Rolle. Rolle’s 2014 performance was a significant drop from his 2013 season (primarily in run defense), and the 32 year-old safety may not have much left in the tank. That said, he still played 1,071 snaps on defense for the Giants in 2014 and bringing him back at a low price could be an attractive option. If the team is overly worried about Cruz's ability to recover from his injury, they may also consider bringing in another WR to play opposite Beckham.

Thoughts
The Giants have a lot of work to do this year, both on their defense and along their offensive line, where a mix of injuries and retirements have left them with a unit that needs some work. The good news is that they have plenty of room to work with this offseason. As long as they're going to keep Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin around, we're going to see the team attempt to stay competitive immediately, so expect more moves in that vein this offseason.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I feel like 99% sure that some mediocre team is going to blow all of its cap space on signing Suh and he's going to be a mildly better Haynesworth. I know his stats are great and all, but the dude's a major flag liability and I have never once seen him take over a game like Watt. If he gets a contract on that level, the value just isn't there. He's obviously an excellent player, but he's not a gamebreaking talent like Watt or at the all-important QB position.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I really hope the Lions resign him so that they have to let a bunch of other talented guys (like almost-as-good Fairley) go.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Suh was pretty dominant in the playoff game against the Cowboys.

I'll try and get to the Lions today.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

surf rock posted:

I feel like 99% sure that some mediocre team is going to blow all of its cap space on signing Suh and he's going to be a mildly better Haynesworth. I know his stats are great and all, but the dude's a major flag liability and I have never once seen him take over a game like Watt. If he gets a contract on that level, the value just isn't there. He's obviously an excellent player, but he's not a gamebreaking talent like Watt or at the all-important QB position.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I really hope the Lions resign him so that they have to let a bunch of other talented guys (like almost-as-good Fairley) go.
He probably wont live up to the paycheck but you have to remember that there are about 7 teams with effectively unlimited cap space this offseason. If the Raiders or Browns want to use 20-25% of their $60m in cap space to vastly upgrade their DL it's a no brainer. Plus, they'd still have tons of money left over.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ozu posted:

He probably wont live up to the paycheck but you have to remember that there are about 7 teams with effectively unlimited cap space this offseason. If the Raiders or Browns want to use 20-25% of their $60m in cap space to vastly upgrade their DL it's a no brainer. Plus, they'd still have tons of money left over.

Suh is a born Raider.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Suh is a born Raider.

Wouldn't mind this in the least.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
The Miami Dolphins are projected as being approximately [color=red]-6,013,000[/color] over the 2015 NFL salary cap with 55 players under contract.

Here's their noteworthy Free Agents:

DT Jared Odrick
TE Charles Clay
QB Matt Moore
S Louis Delmas
C Samson Satele
RB Knowshon Moreno

Here's some potential cuts/trades/restructures:
OLB Dannell Ellerbe- $5.65 million in savings($8.45 million post June 1st)
WR Brian Hartline- $3.15 million in savings($5.95 post June 1st)
CB Courtland Finnegan- $4.475 million in savings
DT Randy Starks- $5.0 million in savings
WR Brandon Gibson- $3.26 million
WR Mike Wallace- $2.5 million in savings($6.9 million post June 1st)

Miami is a pretty likely candidate to purge a bunch of players and then immediately turn around and spend all that cap space on more flashy free agents that probably won't work out.

They have huge holes in terms of wide receiver and defensive tackle to fill.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Hopefully this means a restructure is incoming, because this is not the typical negotiating strategy taken by players.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I think the Bears are a very interesting case study for what they do this offseason, because although they have about $27.6 million, there is a very realistic possibility that they will have to move their top three cap numbers, while trying to make the transition to a 3-4 defense. When I get home, I will try to do a breakdown if I have time.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Likely Cap Casualties
Larry Fitzgerald (WR)

Thoughts
Something’s gotta give with Fitz’s contract and I think he’s gone. If the Cardinals can cut or deal him before March, they’ll have no problem clearing up all the cap space they need. If they don’t, they may be looking at a rough year.

So glad this ended up not being the case.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471006/article/larry-fitzgerald-arizona-cardinals-finalize-new-deal

2 years, 11 milllion/yr guaranteed (probably the key to the deal), freeing up I think ~10M in cap space.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Qwijib0 posted:

So glad this ended up not being the case.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471006/article/larry-fitzgerald-arizona-cardinals-finalize-new-deal

2 years, 11 milllion/yr guaranteed (probably the key to the deal), freeing up I think ~10M in cap space.

Am I missing something or did he just add one more year without getting any more money in return? He is losing money on this over the next two years, right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sataere posted:

Am I missing something or did he just add one more year without getting any more money in return? He is losing money on this over the next two years, right?

I don't believe he had any guaranteed money left. He now has $22m guaranteed while without a restructure before he was likely to be cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

That would make more sense.

• Locked thread