Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tearsaslube
Jan 5, 2015

by XyloJW

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

the tutsis were bad during colonial times so the french helped out the other guys who turned into genocidal monsters the lesson here is just leave africa alone and let it eat itself.

Even being all cultural and saying this and that culture is tough to do. Like, the totality of human history is personal vendettas, dick measuring contests, and who hosed who's girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The really funny thing is the Dutch made up the hutsi and tutsi bullshit because you "need" two groups to pit against each other.

So they picked the blacks with longer noses as one group and had the ones with normal noses, i guess, as the other. They said the long noses came from Sheba or some poo poo and that this tribe was super special. It was all bullshit. One brother would be a tutsi and the other from the same parents a hutsi. Man, Africans are dumb.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Hotel Rwanda is the best horror movie.

Tearsaslube
Jan 5, 2015

by XyloJW
Something something resource curse

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

The really funny thing is the Dutch made up the hutsi and tutsi bullshit because you "need" two groups to pit against each other.

So they picked the blacks with longer noses as one group and the had i guess normal noses. Said the long noses came from Sheba or some poo poo and that this tribe was super special. It was all bullshit. One brother would be a tutsi and the other from the same parents a hutsi. Man, Africans are dumb.

its not that they "made it up" so much as they took what was largely an economic distinction between farmers and cattle herders and decided it should be an iron clad ethnic distinction with no room for mobility between the two. good one guys.

Tearsaslube
Jan 5, 2015

by XyloJW

paranoid randroid posted:

its not that they "made it up" so much as they took an economic distinction between farmers and cattle herders and decided it was an ethnic one. good one guys.

I see you have a bunch of unobtainum here. How would you like to subjegate the surrounding tribes for 3% of the market value of your goods? We do have to dig it up after all.. and by dig it up, I mean pay your people pittances to do it for us

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

its not that they "made it up" so much as they took what was largely an economic distinction between farmers and cattle herders and decided it should be an iron clad ethnic distinction with no room for mobility between the two. good one guys.

How is that not making it up?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

How is that not making it up?

well there was a distinction made i guess, but before the dutch showed up it wasnt so huge a deal.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
point is, this is why you do like the english and import your colonial lackeys. that way when the locals start getting ready to hack people to death you can just rotate them out for someone else and look like the good guy in the process.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
There was a scene in the movie where a white guy said a hutu and a tutsi sitting at a bar could be sisters, but maybe he just couldn't tell black people apart.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I thought the main reason French supported the genocidal tribe was because they were francophone while the other was anglophone "Can't let ze english pig-dogs take over Afrique!"

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
some gripping analysis itt

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
dallaire didn't like the Pakistani troops as they'd arrive with no rations or decent equipment and then when they got rotated out they'd take all the good stuff the Un gave them home lol

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Didn't some of the UN troops that were sent to Haiti after the earthquake a few years back end up spreading some terrible disease to the locals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Volcott posted:

Didn't some of the UN troops that were sent to Haiti after the earthquake a few years back end up spreading some terrible disease to the locals?

i think the nepalese contingent had cholera

• Locked thread