Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
But are the DUELS good?! Character drama is always going to be second to well thought-out, intense dueling. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

But are the DUELS good?! Character drama is always going to be second to well thought-out, intense dueling. :colbert:

Yes, Go Rush has had some good duels in my opinion as well (so did Sevens).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 27, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

The series is very good at making them feel exciting and fitting for whenever they happen, with big emotional moments tied to cards. This episode specifically was excellent at it, with Yuudias' new Maximum being made from the Oudous as proof of their bond, then followed by the mirrored draw-and-summon cards as they're both aliens with human forms, and ending with Transamu Rainiac (which Yuudias has explicitly compared himself to) powering up with the Maximum to fight a monster that's clearly meant to represent Phaser, a dragon in human form.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The series is very good at making them feel exciting and fitting for whenever they happen, with big emotional moments tied to cards. This episode specifically was excellent at it, with Yuudias' new Maximum being made from the Oudous as proof of their bond, then followed by the mirrored draw-and-summon cards as they're both aliens with human forms, and ending with Transamu Rainiac (which Yuudias has explicitly compared himself to) powering up with the Maximum to fight a monster that's clearly meant to represent Phaser, a dragon in human form.

None of those YGO terms mean anything to me. >_>

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

AlternateNu posted:

It's still Rush Duels, which just isn't very interesting mechanically, but they're pretty good at making the duels work through the characterization and story beats in spite of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

All the more reason you should watch Sevens then

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

if you thought the climactic duel against z-one in 5Ds where yusei summons all the signer dragons was cool, you will enjoy the later duels in sevens + go rush

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Act 3 or Go Rush has begun and it looks like we’re heading into a tournament arc, no change in OP or ED just yet though

We also meet a weird girl named Epoch/Ehoko who hates Rush Duels, lives inside a box and has a thing for trumpets (based on her last name and what little we see of her face it seems she’s also an ancestor of Luke’s)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 5, 2023

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The trumpet thing is reminiscent of Tiger too. And she met The*Lugh at the end of the episode so maybe they'll become a couple and that's how Luke ended up with his powers.

The opening and ending did get some updates for the arc: in the opening, Magnum Overroad was replaced with the Galaxy-type Maximum, the scene of Manabu attacking was changed to his Maximum, Phaser is shown with his second Maximum instead of his first, and the sad Yuuna scene was changed to her with her Celeb Roses. Meanwhile, the ending now shows everyone with their post-timeskip designs when they had their original designs before.

Most of these changes seem to be filler to be changed to something that actually matters this arc once they appear though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And now we start getting into the main plot of this arc as it’s revealed that Otes also potentially got sent to the past and there’s apparently a card called Darkness Drake that can possess people. The tournament also begins and we get a pretty good duel between Yuudias and a mind controlled Yuamu

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I finished GX last night. My thoughts on S4:

While Darkness is kind of an underwhelming antagonistic force compared to Supreme King, Yubel, or even Saiou, he does serve a decent purpose of being the backdrop for some good character stuff with Judai, Johan, and Fubuki at the end. There's a ton I wish had been done differently about this season, and I think basically every episode with Trueman was made worse by his presence in it. The mid-season arc where they decide to just start resolving character arcs for every main protag (except Jim, god dammit) was very satisfying even if it felt a bit rushed in spots (like S4 as a whole). One of the biggest gripes that I'm sure pretty much everyone knows and agrees with is the lack of Yubel hanging out talking to Judai until the very end. Would also have liked Ryou to be involved with the Fujiwara/Fubuki stuff at the end since he was Fujiwara's friend too; I'm not a fan of his arc ending with his brother but that's just because I still think Shou sucks.

As far as thoughts on the show as a whole, god drat it was a mess. But it was a wonderful mess. 9/10, big fan.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly this whole episode was a mess and felt like pointless filler that wasn't even consistent with itself but this one line made it all worth it because it got me laughing so drat hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/YuGiOhNewsTCG/status/1754584315344674915

Haven’t really seen anyone talking about it but Go Rush has been pretty good as of late as well

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They also did that thing you've been asking for for like a decade in the most teasing way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSs4mBRy7nk

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

They also did that thing you've been asking for for like a decade in the most teasing way possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSs4mBRy7nk

Yeah, it’s just a reel for the new Animation Division of Konami showcasing some of the lore of the monsters in different art forms. There's no Lore related anime announced for Yu-Gi-Oh......yet

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Larryb posted:

https://twitter.com/YuGiOhNewsTCG/status/1754584315344674915

Haven’t really seen anyone talking about it but Go Rush has been pretty good as of late as well

This collection better include all of the DS-games.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's enough Yu-Gi-Oh games I wouldn't be surprised if there were two or three of these collections if they rerelease all of them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can you stop hitting me in the heart for one episode, Go Rush? I only ask for one. I can't take this. I shouldn't be crying my eyes out at a children's card game anime ;_;

RIP Zwijo, you went out like a champ and entirely on your own terms. What a fitting finale for your life.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Welp, poo poo just got real. Has there been any word yet as to how much longer Go Rush is going to last for out of curiosity (because the current arc feels kind of final to me)?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Welp, poo poo just got real. Has there been any word yet as to how much longer Go Rush is going to last for out of curiosity (because the current arc feels kind of final to me)?

Most we know is that we have, at least, one full arc left with a new opening and ending. We have no data on how long said arc will be or if it'll get more later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Most we know is that we have, at least, one full arc left with a new opening and ending. We have no data on how long said arc will be or if it'll get more later.

I know VRAINS and Sevens ended a few episodes earlier than usual at least (not counting Zexal which got split into two seasons) so maybe they’re cutting down the average length a bit going forward. Though to be fair, YGO shows don’t necessarily NEED to all be 100+ episodes long in my opinion.

Still enjoying Go Rush a lot though and look forward to whatever’s left

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I tend to base my expectations of YGO lengths on the soundtrack schedule.
They're releasing the 3rd OST for Gorush in May already without the new OP/ED on it, which makes me think the 4th OST for the 3rd season will be covering a looooong arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The next Go Rush arc has begun and we’ve got a new OP and ED to boot which seems to promise a few new characters (the OP song itself is kind of meh in my opinion though but I like the new Yuamu focused ED at least)

Now that we’ve reached the 100’s I’m guessing we’ve probably got at least 20-40 episodes left give or take if the past is any indication

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 10, 2024