Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Anything public is complete crap. Actual hedge funds generally work by having so much loving money they can actually move the market, and they work to move it and make the most of their moves, without letting anyone else get money and without breaking too many laws. People also already trade off of everything you could imagine, back in college I had a prof. that managed a big rear end hedge fund and taught cause gently caress knows why. Another prof. had quit the market and was teaching because he was bored, but he made a poo poo load for mostly hedge funds by dumping medium sized box store stocks in the south just before a big rear end hurricane which he was fairly good at predicting by having a doctorate in meteorology. And now it's so computer algorithm based that every trade of size will be immediately countered out and reduced by a poo poo load of programs copying what they think you're doing.

Seriously, anyone who says they know the market but don't have the money is just full of poo poo.

Alternatively zero hedge is so loving insane that gently caress it, go for it, maybe you'll strike it big. Or play the lotto, another good bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Anything public is complete crap. Actual hedge funds generally work by having so much loving money they can actually move the market, and they work to move it and make the most of their moves, without letting anyone else get money and without breaking too many laws. People also already trade off of everything you could imagine, back in college I had a prof. that managed a big rear end hedge fund and taught cause gently caress knows why. Another prof. had quit the market and was teaching because he was bored, but he made a poo poo load for mostly hedge funds by dumping medium sized box store stocks in the south just before a big rear end hurricane which he was fairly good at predicting by having a doctorate in meteorology. And now it's so computer algorithm based that every trade of size will be immediately countered out and reduced by a poo poo load of programs copying what they think you're doing.

Seriously, anyone who says they know the market but don't have the money is just full of poo poo.

Alternatively zero hedge is so loving insane that gently caress it, go for it, maybe you'll strike it big. Or play the lotto, another good bet.

I like the bit from the Four Pillars of Investing warning against things like hot stock newsletters or websites devoted to swaying you to a certain risky investment/stock shorting.

If they really had some magic formula or full proof way of knowing the future by looking at charts and stock fundamentals, it's not like they would share it with you for free.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 14, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Those are all good points although the very reason dark pools exist is so that large funds don't move the market (as much) when they place big orders (also so they don't get front runned). And in light pools they buy in a trickle over as long a period of time as they can. It's a big fakeout game, and it's also a big swinging dick game, but that's after.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Prettz posted:

i used to read zero hedge a few years ago until the rightwing poo poo got to be too much for me, and they did occasionally have some nice articles about how hilariously rigged the stock market is

Are there any good blogs/podcasts whatever to follow right now?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Nothing has inherent value you loving idiot. What would a muskrat pay you for your gold? It wouldn't give a poo poo about it. The value is all about what bullshit human beings want to put on it. A mango has more inherent value than gold.

mangoes are good any goons wanna sell me a mango

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
NO mangosteens please

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

mangoes are good any goons wanna sell me a mango

Deposit one (1) bitcoin in my bitwallet and I will overnight you aforementioned fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
One of our Foremen at work reads ZH religiously and believes anything they post. ZH posted an article about an all black photograph taken from someones arse sent from Diego Garcia 'proving' MH370 was re-routed there instead of crashing into the ocean. And he fell for it. FALSE FLAG SHEEPLES!

• Locked thread