Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Hyalophor - North Scavanger Lands

The enemy force's leader dies in both halves."Noo." He expires noisily. The fight continues, Hyalophor could end it all, or watch the bloodbath...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos let Bear continue, though he added an addendum, "Don't permanently damage him, I want a properly respectful slave, not a worthless wreck."

Then he found the nearest tree-stump and sat down. The druids, eager to earn the mental reward for obedience and devotion, and fearful of what Bear would do to them if it appeared they were neglecting their master, were quick to attend to him offering him food and drink. Davos had a glass of wine poured, something Bear had managed to procure for him during the mission to the city earlier. As he looked into the wine's ruby depths, he opened his third eye. Thomas Gravestone's weakness was in that house, and he would have no secrets from Davos. Casting his sight, he sought to know and understand what was being hidden there, no doubt it was related to person Thomas has spared.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
The Sentinel - The Wizard's Tower

He advanced cautiously, eyes alert to any movement and ears keen for any sound. He'd find out exactly what was going on soon enough.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

"You're welcome to challenge me, but I should warn you I have mastered 23 different martial arts, defeated every known master in Wu Xan and seven masters from abroad. I wish only to pass through these lands peacefully, as I did so in Kell. But if you are still determined to fight, I will offer you a handicap and not channel the power of the Great Dragon. It will be only my own strength and agility that prevails."

Deishu knew it would come to blows, and had from the moment they had swaggered in front of him. He had heard of other, barbaric nations were men used unjust laws to fulfil their own greed and sadism. Well, it would do them well to fight someone who could stand up to them and not be forced to meekly submit.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Pablo - Arabardy Capitol Library.

Pablo chaffed slightly at the unfamiliar feel of these, 'jeans' and this 'shirt'. Granted, it was probably about time he got some new clothes and a bath (With hot and cold water apparently on demand, And a boiler that heated itself! Oh what he would have given for something like this years ago).

And now he had made his way to the library and was in the process of learning, a lot it seems. He had started to catch up on my erstwhile rival Malvolio who he had not seen since his departure from Arabardy in a hurry but it seems the man had done a lot in the time between him leaving to become an apprentice, and his death several years later.

But currently he was looking through books concerning entirely new branches of maths and physics and oh what books they were, such fascinating new discoveries! He would have to track down some copies of these books on 'Chaos Theory' and 'Theories of Relativity' for himself. Even though he couldn't quite understand a lot of the words that he was reading with a lot of the language being used on a completely different level to what he had learned in the university years ago, the numbers underneath were telling him that everything here was adding up, even if he couldn't quite grasp it himself. And then he...

No, no stick to the mission! Read up on new sciences later do what you came here to do now. He began to comb through the histories of Arabardy for anything. anything that even sounds like what he is looking for.

---

When in doubt, sit down and hit the books. Let's do some research to see if this stone has turned up recently anywhere in the country

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Davos - Outlaw Colonies
The sight suddenly threw the interior of the home into stark clarity. A small girl was humming to herself, sitting in a chair. It appeared she was playing cat's cradle. Gravestone entered carrying a large basket of food. "Molly, I'm home." He seemed weary. Or wary. The girl clapped excitedly. "Thomas, I missed you!" She ran and hugged him. Gravestone looked uncomfortable tensing with violence. The girl smoothed her hands on his head, the tension disappearing from his features. She smiled at him. "Come sit with me, I'll make dinner." Dinner was made and Gravestone and the girl ate. Abruptly it was as if she was looking right at you. "Get. Out."

Davos abruptly sat up, the connection broken. What was that?

"Boy!!! Said a large man in robes. "Put down those toys down and help me put the meat on the fire!" He had a large white beard and a bald head, easily the largest human the sentinel had ever seen. "Such a disappointment!" He exclaimed when it was clear the smaller more frail figure couldn't put the slain cow on the burning flames without help. "Weak! You'll never be a wizard if you can't do anything!" The smaller figure whined and mumbled. The eldritch BBQ preparation continued the older man constantly belittling the younger.

No You DAD! The sentinel gets a vibe that these two are related or if notmrelated there is a familial relation here.

Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd
"We won't let you go further. You are under arrest. We won't let you go. Come with us now, unless you are just a mimic aping our speech." All the paladins draw swords, a couple produce chains. "Peacefully or otherwise, you're coming before the judge."

Fight, run, or go with them.

The books revealed alot of information. At the palace, there were relics of the apprentice wars. There was a museum were artifacts over the centuries were kept.Also, in the library...a section of forbidden books. There were guards there, holding small hand crossbows and a sheet with a list of authorized individuals. The economy wasn't doing well locally and Pablo did have money...

Their dress is more modern but they have a mix of magic, steam and very low tech.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos took a moment to recover. He had not expected that, whoever that girl was she had some sort of power. Davos would have to determine whether or not she could be made useful or if she needed to be eliminated. Either way, it provided an angle of approach. For the moment he needed to set the trap for Thomas, he was the primary target and the conduit to the girl. For that however, he needed to better understand the lay of the land, so that he could properly set things up. The girl's power also would make it difficult to act directly lest he be noticed. No, he had another idea.

"Bear," Davos says, and the man is instantly kneeling before him, the punishment of Squealer forgotten. "I have a task for you, two tasks really. First, I will assign this slave" he gestures at Squealer, "to your care. You are my most useful and most loyal slave, Bear. You will teach this new slave how to be more like you: more useful, more loyal, and of course properly respectful of me. You will also make use of whatever knowledge and connections he has, that you may serve me better. Second, you are to determine a location where we might ambush Thomas Gravestone and arrange what you can in advance so that I may stage such an ambush on the day of my choosing. However, be wary of a certain girl," he shares the image of her from his vision through their link, "she has some sort of strange power. I may have use of her later, but I do not wish to have any of my slaves taken from me. Do these two things and you will please me greatly, it will take you a step closer to earning what you truly desire, Bear."

After Bear's response, Davos places a hand on the kneeling man's head, opening his third eye and drawing deep into the well of his power. He was already woven deeply into Bear's mind, now he paints the rest of Bear's mind and soul in his color, so deeply and completely that none but he would ever to alter the man's mind. He would now and forever belong to Davos and Davos alone, his mind violently rejecting the touch of any other.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 24, 2016

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

He casually strides down, hands in plain view. It did not behoove him to anger a wizard - although, a wizard extolling the virtues of physical strength did not make much sense to him.

"Hello," he called out. "Am I correct in understanding that this is the tower belonging to the wizard of note in this area?"

He flashed his best disarming smile - surely, his weapons would give away that he was a man ready for any battle, but his gregarious nature would hopefully buy him a window to speak to this giant and his (presumably) son.

He sniffed the air cautiously, trying to find out what kind of beast was being prepared this day.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

Deishu smiled slightly and waited for them. At first the paladins came at him one by one, thinking their armor, weapons and brute strength would be enough to win. They were mistaken. Easily and almost lazily Deishu avoided each and every attack, taking care to trip, disarm and defeat each of them in the most humiliating ways he could. None of the paladins was injured greatly save for their pride though. Once it became clear that they could not win one on one, they tried to rush him as a group and rely on their numbers to overwhelm him. Yet Deishu proved to be quick and nimble, and none of them could manage to catch him or land a blow. Eventually the group was left standing and panting, their pride wounded as Deishu leaned back and stretched lazily.

"I did not boast lightly." Deishu said as the group considered what to do so next. "I am not a monster, nor am I an idiot. You don't have any law about monsters, you would just kill them without trying them. All you wished to do was to try to use your authority to steal from those weaker than you. The law is their to serve and protect the people, not to hurt them. I don't know what nation this is, but in Wu Xan the law is sacred and no one would be permitted to misuse it as you seek to. Consider this lesson well, and if you truly wish to resort to banditry at least have the courage to do so openly." His voice was scathing and condescending as he told off the group of now disarmed men as though they were naughty children.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Pablo looked in the direction of the Guards, it was tempting it truly was to see what manner of books could be so dangerous as to keep behind a locked door with armed guards. Possibly the magical sort. He kept that in mind for later reference, decided that on the list of things he should really be doing right now, attracting the attention of the law was not one of them and headed to the museum first instead.

---

Tempting but no, I'm going to exhaust the more legal options first before I start wantonly breaking the law. Besides it's been years (A couple of thousand as a matter of fact) since he had been to the Capitol, it would be nice to go sightseeing in this new millennium.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 29, 2016

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Bear smiles. "As you will it, master." He backhands Squealer casually. "Obey slave and you too might be able to miss our Master's feet!" Bear knelt in front of Davis as Squealer cowered. The process was agony but Bear only made pleased masochistic sounds.

Bear's mind was now a lock and Davos had the only key. He'd need to be killed to tear him from. Davos' service.

After several weeks of observation using Squealer's network and Davos' own men, a pattern began to emerge in Gravestones routine. Gladiator underground fights nightly, daily protection money collection from his own network of collectors, followed by returning promptly home every night for dinner. The pits where the fights happened were dark and the paths through the city catacombs. The weekly trip to the markets too would provide opportunity as he would be making some distance from the home, as he did when collecting protection packets from his people. It would be more public though.

Squealer also was coming along, bowing and scraping before Davos while playing his part in front of others normally with Bear. Bear soon asked Davos what he wanted to do and when he could act in his Master's name again.

"It might." The man said suspiciously. "We're having beef tonight. Care to lend a hand?" He said the last with raised eyebrows. He indicated that the Sentinel lift the carcass himself, perhaps to gauge your capabilities....

Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

Deishu was mistaken in what exactly happened. It was not the paladins who attacked first but their combined auras. They were holy. And had the ring of truth and justice to them. Meant to bind but they were far too weak to hold the invincible dragon spirit.

"The law is on our side, animal!" They said derisively. However they were shocked when they could not bind Deishu. The struggle was real but brief. It was Deishu who proved to be more powerful and once the paladins' holy auras were broken only then did he toy with them. He smiled at them when they came at him one by one. And when they were totally broken and attacked as a mob did the defeat and dishonor merge with the culmination of humiliation.

If Deishu's teachers could see him now. Though the paladins were wrong, this was not the path to their enlightenment or betterment. The great Dragon's pride was apparent even as he toyed with the Paladin gang.

The great dragon's taunts were even worse. He called the paladins liars and that their laws were fake.

"We are following orders monster!" The lead paladin shrieked. "We are right! WE ARE-" His words were cut short as his head was cut off by his own squire who had been waiting by the provisions. Another paladin looked at Deishu. "It was a mercy that, the judge would have punished his family as well. He has...well: had a daughter. "

He spat. "You're wrong. You may have broke us. You may have broke our law. But we name you, outlaw. Monster. Freak. Know you have earned the eternal enmity of the order of the lilly. If any of us survive the judge, we will find everything you love and care about and...burn. it. all."

The men mounted with half going back into the fort, the other half fleeing whence Deishu had come. Their weapons lay in a pile at Deishu's feet.

They were assholes, bullies, and maybe just maybe telling the truth. Even if they were wrong.

Pater's/Yig's curse makes Deishu's skin crawl. Working just as good as the day it was laid. Faint laughter could be heard as the Slor whimpered helpfully, licking Deishu's hand.

You crush them. Maybe even teaching them humility. Deishu has earned eternal hatred from the Order of the Lilly. Luckily it is a very localized sect. No galactic spanning hive. Deishu is free to go.

The museum was full of old relics. Some magical and some obvious frauds. Plows and ox carts, ice makers and breadboxes. It wasn't until the 15th exhibit that he saw a clue. There behind the velvet ropes was a pair of bejeweled glasses, belonging to a long deceased apprentice of Pater. The inscription read: "Used by Faltar in the apprentice wars to locate his enemies grand weapons. He died as he lived. Without protective gear to handle toxic artifacts. See exhibit 4, 'powder of Faltar'. Warning: wearing may cause dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, blindness, scabies, even death..."

Tempting but no, I'm going to exhaust the more legal options first before I start wantonly breaking the law. Besides it's been years (A couple of thousand as a matter of fact) since he had been to the Capitol, it would be nice to go sightseeing in this new millennium.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - The Legend of Dagruule

The scene of a feast and games of chance faded as Dagruule took on a more threatening form. Ad-lez moved in to strike again and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of tentacles thrown at him, the many facets of Dagruule’s will and power in his own Dreamrealm.

It spoke as it cast the old adventurer down, tearing at the mind and spirit of the interloper. “You are strong indeed, but within my dream I am beyond strength.” https://youtu.be/FrlymHW0qU8

Ad-lez awoke in a crater from his own fall, but he had little time to dwell on his failure. Spectres, wraiths, and barely corporeal beings were closing in on him. Judging by their tattered equipment he assumed they had been consumed by Dagruule, slowly drained of mind and spirit until they were these mere husks. Some even seemed to be from the same army, probably an ill-fated attempt to destroy the beast. He took up his broken sword and went to work.

Sitting atop the pile gear left behind from the vanquished, the Hero took up a battered shield and pondered his next move. He felt stronger after having felled these foes. Individually weak, they each had a tiny spark of… something within them. Merely putting the tortured souls to rest would not give him the strength to defeat Dagruule, whose gaze constantly swept across the hellish dreamscape, altering the land and torturing the fallen. It was a start until he could add to his plan.

It seemed an eternity, hunting down and slaying the mindless foes that haunted this land while avoiding the gaze of his captor. All the while that gaze grew more frantic, increasingly aware that something was amiss. There was a fortress of sorts within the realm, the gates remained closed until Ad-lez was certain he had freed every soul in the realm. Moving only when the now-omnipresent gaze blinked he made his way within. He found a clan of sentient wraiths within, servants of Dagruule who had been consumed the same as the rest. He slew every last one, and when he entered the treasure room Dagruule’s gaze finally broke through and caught Ad-lez in its snare. His shadow became animate, given spirit taken from Ad-lez in his fall.

Ad-lez eventually drew his shadow double into another room to break its link to Dagruule and defeat it. It was a harsh duel, and he won by what seemed to be a mere sword stroke. The next time Dagruule blinked he rolled behind the treasure chest and opened it. Within was an exquisitely crafted greatbow, and Ad-lez took aim the next opportunity he had. The great arrow flew true and pierced the Eye of Dagruule. A great roar erupted, the land shook and Ichor rained from the sky, and as it coated Ad-lez his wounds mended and his sword and shield were reforged. Where Dagruule’s Eye once hovered there was an impossible labyrinthian mountain. The hero began his ascent.

Ad-lez fought countless aspects, avatars, and incarnations of Dagruule on his way through the dungeon-mind of Dagruule. At the peak he faced yet more forms, until all that was left was a gaping void in roughly the shape of a man. It spoke again. “We fight to a draw, Hero. The ignorance-mages sacrificed much to trap me here, and you have set my power back...ages. You cannot finish me and I cannot consume you. Do we fight forever? Your body lies outside my pit, once it dies I will finish you. Leave now and-” A tear opened in reality, ocarina notes of protest ringing through. Justin, of all people, entered into the realm of Dagruule. He stared at Dagruule in terror as Ad-lez leaped to the fissure.

As Dagruule began a speech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2k7Jf9xO3g , preparing to savor Justin. Justin shook before Dagruule’s final form. Ad-lez formed the tear in reality, a tear made of reality, into small sphere and rolled it at Justin.

“Finish him, boy. We fight these horrors because no one else can. Fortune, glory, it means nothing if we must suffer this one’s kind to live. That orb is anathema to him. He is from nothing. Finish him.”

Ad-Lez awoke to the sound of writhing and screeching in the pit below. As Dagruule’s mindless corpse went through its death throes Ad-lez became aware that his tunic was soaked with his own urine and waste. He was hungry, and dehydrated. He also noticed his wards around him, even Justin had returned, though he seemed shaken by his experience. Ad-lez turned his head and spoke. “I assume you tapped into my gem to send Justin. I should thank you.” He coughed, he knew he would need food and rest. He looked for the caged singing figure from before. She ought to be good for some exposition.

Well. I was told I could write the scene. It kind of grew wild on me but here it is.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Things were falling into place, Davos smiled down at Bear. "You are making excellent progress with the other slave, continue his training, I wish him to be as much like you as possible, feel free to make use of all of your talents to accomplish that. Your next assignment is to look into the girl who has been controlling Gravestone. Make full use of whatever resource you need, including your trainee, but be discreet I don't want anyone to realize what is happening, least of all her."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

The Sentinel was no hulking brute, but in a pinch he had enough strength to truly amaze people. He hoisted the carcass with a grunt, knowing his muscles would be screaming in agony later on, but he looked on at the wizard, awaiting further instructions on where to place it. As he did so, he sized up the area and determined what his next course of action would be if this proved to be a less-than-friendly encounter...

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Ad-Lez - The Legend of Dagruule

The girl smiled. "Thank you hero...or should I say heroes." She bowed slightly. Her smile was both joyful and sad. "I am now free from Dagruule's evil." Her form began to fade and sparkle. "His magic kept me eternally alive as his slave, now I am free. I can rest. It was his own pride that allowed me to enspell him as he slept. He will take many millenia to return, but for now his evil is gone." The pit rumbled and the heroes stepped back from it. Soon it was filled with the ancient treasures of the maze-like land. Gold, gems, and more. "I know it isn't much, but take what you need heroes. Farewell..."

The girl faded away, the story of Ad-Lez's adventurning life. "What now?" Asked Justin.

Treasure and an evil vanquished!

Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Bear turned up quite a bit along with Squealer's help. Squealer was coming along nicely. The girl's was the daughter of a minor merchant, her mother and father owed money to the bull and refused to pay. Gravestone was sent to make an example of them. On the fateful night he killed her brothers, mother and father. His men were outside as Gravestone relished this type of work himself. Taking time with his victims. As the girl screamed and pleaded for her life suddenly everything went quiet. For a long time. When the men entered they found the girl talking to Gravestone. After that he stated she was his, then started his arrangement with her. The rumor is he had gone soft, or liked them young...

Either way no one would cross him if he wanted her. Squealer hypothesized that perhaps the girl was a natural mind mage, perhaps the onset of puberty and the stress made it happen. In any case the girl had gotten better over time.

"On the fire lad." The old man said approvingly. He held out a massive fist to shake hands with the Sentinel. "I am Hogan, the muscle wizard. This is my son Nicholas. Who are you friend? I admire your technique." The wizard began eating mass quantities of barely cooked meat. His son just poked at it, eating only the vegetables used as decoration. "Eat up friend, the body is a temple of wisdom you know!"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos knew enough to begin, a strategy was forming in his mind, one that would turn this girl's habits and need to reapply her control on Gravestone against her. It was an excellent chance to check the limit of his talents, and see just exactly what he could do. It was perhaps a stretch, but if he never stretched he would never grow his powers greater, which, when he considered his eventual objectives, would be necessary. So, Davos gave the proper orders to his thralls and set the wheels in motion.

The next time Gravestone was travelling to the market, Davos would use his psychic power to force the man to walk unnoticed into a warehouse, Bear had acquired for him. Other thralls would go to the market as normal and pick up the supplies normally purchased by Gravestone. All the while, Davos would be programming the entranced Gravestone, instilling a trap into his mind, weaving it with exceptional care. It would require great control and great power, but Davos had confidence in his ability. When the work was done, Gravestone would find himself in an alley on the way home, memories of what had actually happened replaced with false memories of his shopping trip, carrying the supplies Davos’ thralls had purchased to cover the missing time. Once Gravestone returned to the house, and the young girl came to reapply her powers to him, the trap would spring. The moment she touched his mind, the carefully weaved and empowered programming Davos had created would flow unstoppably into her, overwhelming her mind, and rendering her Davos’ obedient thrall. He was already planning the design in his mind, he would instill a fanatical devotion into her, mixed with a hatred and disgust at the idea that any will might be free, not bound to her Master’s desires. A hatred her powers would let her act upon.

The plan was perhaps a long-shot, but with the risk came reward. The girl would be very useful to Davos indeed, and this indirect approach had so many potential uses if he could get it to work.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

Even as he reassured Slor and gathered things together to continue travelling, Deishu's thoughts paused.

Good and wrong, evil and just, they had been fairly clear and easy to understand before. This was more complicated. His thoughts swam in swirling currents as he tried to achieve calm and understanding.

They had killed their own.

Just for questioning, not even for real doubt or a lack of conviction. He had just said something they had deemed out of step and his life was over. They had been afraid. People had been afraid of Deishu before, but not in this way. It had been afraid of losing, of their pride, things that would pass without true harm. Those men had feared that their death awaited them.

What should he do? His duties did not require him to intervene further. The order had been dealt a blow, and this was still far from Wu Xan. He needed to return to his people.

But...Deishu also couldn't leave things unsettled. Just like with the village before, he was called to action to do something. Even if this wasn't Wu Xan, even if his duty did not demand he intervene...he was the Great Dragon. He was a guardian, a great protector spirit of order and justice. He couldn't leave things like this.

Confused and unsure of the world for once, Deishu reassured Slor. "Sorry buddy, we're going to have to go see them again. This is wrong, and I need to see the end of it."

He put one foot forward, then the other, and walked, following behind the fleeing paladins. They were far ahead of him now, so he had little to go on but the general direction they had traveled.

Going to see if I can find more about this Order of the Lilly.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - The Legend of Dagruule, Epilogue

Ad-Lez nodded to the treasure hoard. "Take as much as you please, but no more than you can carry. Dagruule is an Elder-thing. Even death just delays such a thing. There is only one item I will take for myself, if it exists here." He began to search for one of the sacred stones the Wizard-and-Demon had sent him out to find.

He found the group later. "If you seek more adventure, you are free to journey on your own. Defeat evils, slay monsters, topple tyrants. I...I may remain here a while. These ruins seem a fitting place to start an adventuring academy..." He left them again, deep in thought, and deeper in the search for the coveted magic WORD.

Looking for one of them sigil-things in the hoard. Pondering my next move, graduating my adventurers and letting them choose to stay with me or strike out on they own.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

So, were the fate-stones the weapons of the apprentice wars, or were they what the apprentice wars were fought over?

If this was a war between the apprentices of Pater, why haven't any of the apprentices I arrived at the tower with heard of it?

A war that shattered not only the world but time itself and brought together all these pieces into one congruent reality, and life seems to be going on as normal. Funny that, one would have thought that the aftermath of that war would still be present to this day, and in a way it is but this looks very. Normal.

Let's go visit that exhibit 4 and see where that takes us further into this unusual mystery.

---

We shall go and look at the weird powdery substances!

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

The plan went off without a hitch. Gravestone went to the warwhouse Bear had prepared. The trap almost collapsed several times, it was one of the hardest and most intricate things Davos had ever done. When he was finished, Gravestone went about his business as if nothing going had happened. The trap was set and all Davos' men had to do was wait.

It wasn't long before supper occurred in the small home. Followed by a feminine scream. As Bear and his agents pounced inside they found the girl unconscious and Gravestone slumped over in his chair, blood running from his ears and nose.

Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

The disgraced paladins travelled on for days. Deishu following with the faithful Slor keeping him company, the beast snuggling like a great soft pillow at night. As they crested a rise Deishu beheld a great city constricted of...a mishmash of materials. Wood, stone, metal all in a haphazard way. Signs in multiple language proclaimed that this was the domain of "The Judge".

Hundreds of men and women, both filthy and pristine looking seemed to be working on the town. A gate opened and admitted the paladins. "More failures! Failures coming!" Screeched the gate man. It would be easy for Deishu to enter in his human form. There didn't seem to be many non humans about.

Ad-Lez - The Legend of Dagruule, Epilogue

Ad-Lez parted ways with his apprentices, their own adventures awaiting them. As he began his search through the treasure he soon found himself going down down down. Until he found it. It looked like a triangular rock but the runes were as Pater described. It formed an impression on his mind. It said, "Forget". It was inactive but Ad-Lez felt a pull like it could erase time itself if used improperly....

You have found "Forget"

Pablo - Arabardy Capitol Library Exhibit 4.

The exhibit had, the powdery remains of many creatures. Including the apprentice named. Eventually, a curator appeared. He noted Pablo's interest. "Ah a scholar! Quite few of us these days. It is said that this apprentice fell in the fields 20 miles from the city. This all that remained of him when he fell." He snorted. "The old battlefield is marked as off limits, but I can get you a pass for a small donation to our museum. What do you say friend?"

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Do not look surprised or suspicious.

Do not ask how exactly he knew you were a scholar without you ever meeting this man, nor ask why he assumes you were going to be heading towards this battlefield after viewing these exhibits, there is something wrong with this immediate situation right here.

Maintain a normal conversation. I think this man knows something, I will pretend to be unaware.

"A small donation you say? What exactly do you mean by small donation honorable sir?"

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos was unsure whether his approach was successful. It was the first time he had ever attempted such a thing. However, he had to be sure before he could advance his plans. So, he had Bear tightly bind the girl and Gravestone and then have them carried to the warehouse where Davos was still waiting. once they arrived they would be put into chairs while Davos awaited for them to awaken.

In the meantime he addressed Bear. "You have done well thus far, but I have a new task for you. You are the ideal for how a slave should think and act, however many of my current thralls are... lacking in devotion. They are obedient and respectful, yes, but that is not enough. They must be like you, they should love me more than life itself, desire nothing but my happiness. So I entrust you with altering their attitudes. You have been taught how to shape the minds of men, use that to make them utterly and completely mine, as you are. Do that and you will please me greatly, I will even grant you permission to show your devotion by kissing my foot."

It would be interesting to see Bear in action, and it would be an excellent test of his capability to use all the tools Davos had given him. That it would pass the time while the two captives awoke was all the better.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 23, 2016

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Ad-Lez - Treasure Pit, Adojurugan

After finding a place to wash himself and his clothes, and while cooking a dinner of foraged greens, some edible berries, and a snake, the old hero re-sorted his entire pack. It was a ritual of his after an adventure, finding a place for every item, cleaning and oiling and repairing. The bags of holding were good, though his oil supply was less than it had been for decades.

He turned to the stone. Forget. He traced the rune with a finger, turned it over. He surmised that it was likely a cornerstone of the ignorance magic. Beyond that he wasn’t too sure about it. Wizards were rarely trustworthy, too much darkle and tinct. The demon was no better, but likely more predictable. No, the safest place for the rune for the time being was with him. He settled in for a night under the stars while he pondered his next move.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

He puts the carcass on the fire, sizing up the "muscle wizard."

"I am the Sentinel of Balenstrand, returned from a long journey across the planes. I have just come from a most curious village - one afflicted by a curse that struck only the children. Do you know anything of this?"

He eats up - it won't do to disrespect his host.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

The curator looked slyly left and right. "A bit of cash for a fellow seeker." He grinned. The man was older than when you had seen him in the tower, what was his name again? Timas? "I know you probably don't remember me but...I left after you lot." Your eyes widen in recognition. He was but a mere trainee with little to no skills. It would seem he somehow made it out ahead of you. Timas walked you over to a more private space. "I've stopped looking. I'm too old. But here are gathered some interesting lore and items."

Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Bear nearly swooned. "It will be done master!"

Bear setup a training center in the warehouse. It was like charm school for slaves, except Bear would threaten to kill anyone if they didn't learn. The makings of a conditioning and reinforcement regiment were coming along.

The girl had woken up as had Gravestone neither could remember how the got there. The girl though did not remember who she was. Instinctively she bowed to Davos when he came, "M-m-master" she said reverently. "I'm sorry but I, cannot remember who I am. Only that you saved me from myself and I am your loyal slave and apprentice." She would be the kind of person that Davos wanted. Her abilities were intact but she seemed unwilling to use them without your permission. He could feel her malleablity instinctively.

Bear came to you reverantly. "Gravestone is confused, Master Davos. The perfect time for...indoctrination."

The ruins were quiet, with odd clicks in the depths. The word lay in his pocket, inert. Ad-Lez cleaned and polished his gear, the crackling of the fire reflecting on his face. So many years of adventure. Could nothing challenge him, or reach his level? The map was a worn thing and barely noticed amongst the treasures. North. North could be the way. The markings were fresh but the map ancient, it's markings showed a ruined fortress and a small town under it.

"Hmm." The old man thought. "The black sun..." He stopped eating. Brows furrowed. "The rumors were true then. He's back, and likely found what he was looking for, or is near to it."

He turned to look at his son. "A quest. Make a man out of you. This cannot be chance."

Turning back to the Sentinel he asks seriously. "Tell me friend. What kind of man are you? What is your measure? I sense strength and a dark force that follows you, a black wind...like death."

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

The Old Adventurer's breath stopped and his pulse quickened. The village under the ruined tower. Could it be? He had searched back in his youth, when he still searched for the challenges to test himself against. He never found it, and gave up believing it a myth. The Fatal Labyrinth... The rumors stated that the Great Platinum Dragon Beht had an amazing prescience, and phased out the tower and the village as madness overtook him at the dawn of the terrible war a thousand years ago. His mage's school reappeared every few decades to recruit new members and gather new subjects. The few who claimed to have been there had stories of terrible magics and warped creatures, abominations of life and of metal and and of magic. Even the layout of the tower shifted.

But then, he had thought the Wizard's Tower a myth as well, once. Who's to say that there isn't another Wizard locked in the game. Maybe even one who could help break the cycle if they could themself be saved.

That drat clicking again. Ad-Lez took up a torch to investigate before he went to sleep. It wouldn't do to be eaten by a grue or something while dreaming of great adventure. A rookie mistake, easily avoided.

Going to mundanely check out that clicking. Also ideas for the next adventure lets talk.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos smiled, "Excellent. He will make a valuable teaching opportunity." He turns back towards the girl, "You have no memories because they were unnecessary to serve me, there was no need for you to remember anything before you were mine. One day, all will be given this great gift, unburdened by the knowledge that they were ever anything other than my thralls. As for your name, that is something you must earn through service. Now, follow me." He signals for one of his other thralls to untie her, then he walks over to Gravestone, with her in tow. "Begin to touch his mind, and open yourself to my guidance, I will show you how to reshape the minds of men to my purposes." When she did as she was told, Davos proceeded to use his psychic power to guide her through the process of enslaving Gravestone. With his guidance she would reshape Gravestone. The killer's old memories would be mostly intact, enough to pass as his old self at least. However, he would belong heart and mind to Davos, unquestioningly obeying any order, and worshiping the ground the three-eyed man stood upon. He would never be happier than when he was serving his master, and he would be filled with intense feeling of bliss when he thought about how he was Davos' loyal and obedient slave.

This was the template that Davos taught the girl, to remake a person into a fanatically devoted slave to him. In the process he was shaping her as well. She would be an instrument of his will, bending the minds of the free into more properly devoted shapes. Deep in her heart she would disdain and loathe the very idea that any person could exist not completely subjugated to Davos, and she would be happiest when she was granting the wondrous gift of slavery to others. She would expand his control over this town, quietly at first, at least until he was ready to strike. However, Davos imagined the day when all people were as Bear, no war, no strife, just armies of people happily catering to his every whim. Truly a paradise, and this girl was the first piece necessary to achieve that dream.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

He could get in easily enough, but Slor...

"Look buddy, you'll have to wait here." He said and Slor whined and shuffled piteously. "I know, I know, it's a bad place. But if you hide, and stay out of sight and away from people until I get back you should be fine." Deishu said reassuringly and herded him off to hide with promises of his return and hugs and tummy rubs. Once the beast was placated and obediently waiting, Deishu took a moment to focus himself before he followed in after the paladins.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Pablo thought about this for a moment. Then he reached into his pocket and pulled out one of the Golden Coins in his possession.

"A badger told me, that one of these things is worth, a very large amount of money to the right buyer." He let it tumble through his fingers for a moment, and placed it on the table

"Alright Sir Timas, I am a very curious but mostly ignorant gentleman in the wrong millenium who is about to go onto a place in the world that is apparently cordoned off to the general public. Do tell me all about it."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

The grue was a large member of its species, but Ad-Lez dispatched it with ease. His destination was the blasted tower-lands, its blood-magi and devil pacts legendary in any time or place. The tower would appear in a few weeks, his adventures jut getting there would take place along the path. The notes on the map hinted that only those bathed in the blood of adventure and worldly experience would gain entry to the dragon's dark tower. Suddenly the ruins here didn't seem quite so interesting, though its ancient secrets and perils likely still existed.

Arabardy is next along your path...

Davos - Outlaw Colonies

The girl was an eager student, though she often had trouble with responding to "Girl" anytime people said the word because that was her name after all. Gravestone soon was shaped almost as finely as Davos could, better than Bear. Her personality shifted and soon the Girl developed into a pale and mysterious figure. Gravestone was her henchman in many capers in the kidnapping and reshaping of the village, with Bear dictating the details and training of each new convert to Davos' cause. The warehouse district soon did less business and had a reputation for being a cursed or haunted place where men disappeared and were never heard from again. At least that's what the slave formerly known as Squealer had planted rumor wise at Bear's behest. It gave the district privacy and in privacy allowed Davos' operations to continue. When Half the populace was converted, that's when the mayor of the town held a meeting in the square. From the planted spies at the meeting, Davos heard word that a contingent of Knights from a local order were on the way to burn the warehouse district and to "save those who could be saved".

Business is good. People aren't really missing but rumors which kept the warehouse district private have attracted bigger flies to Davos' web. Prizes to be captured or examples to be made?

Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

The man who is Deishu entered in through the gates, the place was like a mismatch of good and garbage. Activity was all around, people through waste into the street from windows, as street sweepers pushed it along the gutters to collection points. Hammering and construction was prevalent. Armed men and women patrolled the streets as merchants hawked their wares and street urchins ran about. It was chaos to Deishu but made a strange sense to the people it seemed. Everything was on "Orders from the Judge". A town crier announced the upcoming executions for a platoon of paladins. It would seem their story was not believed. As Deishu absorbed this news he was soon bumped into by a large half-ogre woman. "Get outta da way yous! The Judge's law says no lollygaggin!" She put down the large half butchered pig she was carrying and pulled a large club from a sheath on her back. "It will be a citizens arrest if you're not movin newcomer!" She smiled wickedly at him. It would seem the Judge cultivated bullies and frontier justice. Deishu could easily take the woman down, beastial she may have been. But there were oddly many eager onlookers. Everyone in the city seemed to be armed or armored...

Timas' eyes bulged. "I haven't seen one of these in..." He caught himself. Likely the coin was worth a small fortune to one such as him. "Why, its a complete collection of Yiggith artifacts and few relics from the age of Pater!" He now was warming to the subject. "Come come! I will show you." He pocketed the coin and what Pablo saw made him feel sick.

The truth. The awful truth. The 1000 year time span of Pater-Yig was the being's prison and paradise it would seem. Apprentices were...forced through a tiny crack in reality that was this mismatch. Lands and spaces and places out of time and position made up the world. The word-stones or rune-stones had destabilized the planet. They were beyond the time-space of Pater-Yig. So to get at them, apprentices were needed. He and his fellows were seeded across space and time, and in effect rewriting the timeline here. If Pater-Yig sent another groun earlier than his group it would change their experiences NOW. Artifacts and Magical objects were different ages and even sometimes differently made than they should have been, in some cases there were copies of un-copyable one of a kind god gifted artifacts. Luckily most were broken or severely degraded. "Isn't it awfully interesting!" Timas rambled on, not grasping what Pablo figured out through careful thought and examination. "Two swords of Grumbol! TWO!" He pointed at them. These were the real deal. Each one a chaos blade, each one capable of terrible destruction birthed from the cut off left arm of the great destroyer god itself. On each blade was etched in script Ranok-La. "Two left arms! Isn't it amazing!" Etchings of the Strifelord God Arcriz showed him only having one and not two heads. There were four gods of life, the same god...luckily they all were dead dead dead. But some of these pieces were really dangerous.

"The wards keep them in, we had the wizard Hogan craft the shielding from the universal concept of strength. Good to have muscle wizards around these days."

Your research and investigations have gained you a better understanding of the world

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 19, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Davos - Outlaw Colonies

Davos sat in thought as he was attended to by some of his slaves. It would seem opportunity had come to knock. Bandits were all well and good, they had after all produced Bear, but still it would be nice to have a higher class of combatant among his thralls. However, this would have to be handled delicately, very delicately indeed.

"Slave," he gestured to the being once known as Squealer, "spread your spies and informants well. Use whatever resources you require, including shaping the mind of new agents using the mindbender's power. I wish to know the very moment the knights draw near as well as everything about them, their equipment and their movements. Serve well in this and you might just finally earn a name."

He turns next to Bear, "Among your trainees is the mayor's appointment clerk, when he returns for tonight's training, bring him to me. I will complete his training myself, I have an immediate use for him."

When that night came, and the trainee arrived tired and confused as usual. Rather than his normal indoctrination routine however, he was brought before Davos. Once Bear had returned to training the rest, Davos opened his third-eye, this man's training would be completed tonight, and once it was he would be Davos' key to enthralling the mayor. After all, the mayor's appointment secretary could make sure that there was a sufficient window open in the mayor's schedule to allow Davos to work. Davos set to work, reshaping the deeply entranced clerk's mind, making him as the other thralls, completely obedient and adoring without harming his memories.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

The old Adventurer traced the path on the map. The world had changed, moved on in some ways. The scars of the Wars of Old remained, though. He had dealt with enough old curses, monsters, and ruins to know all to well how dangerous even the merest remnants of it could be. Perhaps the sea could serve as a shortcut, but then what if something on the path that seemed so clear to him was necessary to trigger the tower or his entrance to it? He threw sand on the coals of his fire and retreated to his hammock, his pack hanging above him. He would allow himself a single night's rest before continuing on his Journey. The Gods knew he had earned it.

Wondering about taking the sea route instead, taking a sleep to slowboat a bit. Also because I'm tired myself and sometimes I do blatant wish/fantasy gratification/fulfillment, dammit

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 23, 2016

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Kan Deishu - Fort Sludd

It was not worth getting into a fight yet if he could avoid it. He stepped to the side and simply said; "my apologies." Deishu had no idea whether being polite and sane would be breaking another mad law, but without knowing more there was no point in being deliberately rude and aggressive. Besides he had no reason to linger around the beast woman, he needed to find this so called Judge and stay his hand. The 'paladins' had deserved a thrashing and a lesson in humility, but not a death sentence. Although...they had murdered one of their own.

The place was strange, and Deishu would almost welcome a straight fight to get to the Judge. But he would try to remain unnoticed for longer.

Just trying to get out of the way without causing a scene and heading towards wherever this Judge might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Due to life issues, I'm closing this. Thank you to everyone who helped it limp along.

• Locked thread