Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, you know how in movies now there's the female vocal that's warbly and ethereal and sounds sort of but not really like a Muslim call to prayer? You may have heard it in films like 300, Gladiator, Blackhawk Down, The Kite Runner, Lord of the Rings and a bunch of movies. I've been trying to find a name for that vocal style. So far it seems to be mostly a creation of the Hollywood machine, but what I'm trying to figure out is what the gently caress the music director asks for on the phone. Other than just saying "Get me Lisa Gerrard! how do you refer to this style without using way more words than necessary?

So far I have heard it described as: the One Woman Wail, the Vaguely Ethnic Wail, that kinda middle easterny but sorta Indian sad lady voice among various others. While discussing this with my friends, one of them proposed Sand Yodeling. Unless there is an actual term for this thing, I propose we now refer to it as Sand Yodeling.

E: feel free to post your favorite Sand Yodeling.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I concur.

Some sand yodelling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgbUSsblCSQ&t=66s

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
well if you wanna get super technical about it it would be like

Arabic "maqam" is the melody type, which can be vocal or instrumental. Lisa Gerrard uses idioglossia (she sings in a made-up language) and "plural melismata, in music, is the singing of a single syllable of text while moving between several different notes in succession."

So it's melismatic maqam or something

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Quickscope420dad posted:

well if you wanna get super technical about it it would be like

Arabic "maqam" is the melody type, which can be vocal or instrumental. Lisa Gerrard uses idioglossia (she sings in a made-up language) and "plural melismata, in music, is the singing of a single syllable of text while moving between several different notes in succession."

So it's melismatic maqam or something

Thank you for this. I don't know any music theory poo poo, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I still think sand yodeling sounds better as it captures the subtle undercurrent of offensive Orientalism.

Some sand yodeling from Gladiator

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 14, 2015

• Locked thread