Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

i also will watch it as soon as i get back from the gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

acai moonsault posted:

i also will watch it as soon as i get back from the gym

yeah, the JUNGLE gym!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Spermgod posted:

yeah, the JUNGLE gym!!

don't do it to em spermgod

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just got around to watching this week's show.
Gedo and Okada are a pretty fun pair promo-wise (it took me a sec to parse the subtitles for Okada's initial reply to Devitt, but I laughed when I did), and gently caress me that was a good match with Makabe. Quick query though... Are DQ finishes just not a thing in New Japan? Or was the table stuff allowed because it's a title match and, kayfabe, Red Shoes is letting it slide?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gaz-L posted:

Gedo and Okada are a pretty fun pair promo-wise (it took me a sec to parse the subtitles for Okada's initial reply to Devitt, but I laughed when I did), and gently caress me that was a good match with Makabe. Quick query though... Are DQ finishes just not a thing in New Japan? Or was the table stuff allowed because it's a title match and, kayfabe, Red Shoes is letting it slide?

Anything goes outside the ring.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Japan in general went so completely nuts with DQs and gently caress finishes in the '80s that I like to think they've been atoning for the entire decade ever since. :v:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Japan in general went so completely nuts with DQs and gently caress finishes in the '80s that I like to think they've been atoning for the entire decade ever since. :v:

Yeah, business I believe shockingly picked up after they started eliminating lovely finishes.

The only DQ I ever have seen in Japan was a NOAH show where KENTA turned heel and hit someone with a chair for a DQ, and because it was a one off thing it was really shocking.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

nagata and shibata vs. daniel and rolles gracie

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Gaz-L posted:

Everyone went to giving real finishes within a few years of the formation of the original Japanese UWF I think. All Japan had entirely clean matches (occasional table/chair usage on the outside notwithstanding) while New Japan would have fuckery from time to time but still an actual winner and loser.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 9, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, I'm enjoying how Okada seems less and less into these intros as the shows go on.

"World Pro Wrestling... RETURNS." :geno:

*seconds pass*

*makes hand motion*

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Completely forgot to write up last week but It was just Okada v Devitt so you know who they are.

I think we're going to start the G1 now :toot:

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Josh Barnett just confirmed on the MMA hour that there'll be more episodes on the way after this batch.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress YES

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

acai moonsault posted:

Josh Barnett just confirmed on the MMA hour that there'll be more episodes on the way after this batch.

:hellyeah:

That's great news. I can't remember if it was posted in this thread, but apparently it was getting good enough ratings that the people at AXS "took notice"

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I wish to hell Time Warner would get AXS but I'm probably going to end up pirating these somewhere. If only they could put them on NJPW World or something.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What belt did Tanahashi have on at the start of this six-man match?

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

CMLL Tag titles iirc

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm absolutely certain I'm in the minority here, but I don't find the commentary as impressive as a lot of people seem to. I'm not saying it's bad by any means, I just don't find anything particularly excellent or noteworthy about it. Little Americanized things like calling Tanahashi's Air Raid Crash attempt "White Noise" also kinda bug me; it's very clearly viewed through an American lens, and very apparent they have really varying knowledge of the subject matter. I still appreciate it because it's for a wider TV audience and is bringing Western attention to NJPW, but I think a lot of people just notice it more because WWE commentary is really that terrible nowadays. Maybe Ross/Striker for WK9 set the bar too high, or maybe it's just because Japanese commentary really doesn't bother me when I watch it. That said it's been very enjoyable so far and I'm glad they're showing such high quality matches. I hope they get to expand it to show more later on.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Ranallo is much better than Barnett and the uneven quality is a flaw. It's also better than the WK9 commentary.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Alright Pro Graps fans, this week it is

Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi
Satoshi Kojima vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Karl Anderson.

All from the G1 Climax

The G1 Climax is the most prestigious tournament in New Japan, and probably the second most important event outside of the Tokyo Dome Show itself. Over the years it has taken many forms (single elimination, round robin etc) but has now settled on two blocks of wrestlers, everyone in each block wrestles each other once, and you get two points for a win, one for a draw and the top wrestler from each block faces off to be crowned the G1 Climax Winner. When you win it you're getting a push, and probably getting a title shot.

What this means is you get a series of exceptional matches, that all have something riding on them every couple of days from all the stars. This is awesome and the matches have a habit of being pretty dang incredible. For example, the 2014 edition was literally the greatest thing to happen to anyone ever. The only problem is, going hard at it every other night isn't good for your body, and it loving wrecks these guys physically, and and takes a terrible toll .

NEW PLAYERS

We've got a lot of new faces, so i'll be brief.

Kota Ibushi
Gimmick: Awsome high flying Jr Heavyweight

Locked in what seemed to be a perpetual feud with Prince Devitt, Kota Ibushi is now another one of the Jrs to make the transition to Heavyweight. He was a surprise entrance to the 2013 G1 Climax but subsequent to this he'd become a permanent fixture amongst the heavyweight ranks.

Satoshi Kojima
Veteran Wrestler

Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Davey Boy Smith Jr

Ex-WWE wrestler, mid card foreigner heel.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

it's an hour earlier this week too I think

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

LordPants posted:

When you win it you're getting a push, and probably getting a title shot.

NB: though it hasn't always been the case, in recent years the G1 winner gets a guaranteed title shot at the Tokyo Dome Show (like the royal rumble) which is represented by a Money In The Bank-like briefcase. In every singles match from the end of the G1 to the Dome, the wrestler is actually defending that title shot (though, nobody has lost it in this fashion yet because, uh, obviously they're pushing the hell out of the G1 winner).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I know it's a pretty recent thing, but why IS Ibushi in the Heavyweight division? I thought they took their weight classes pretty seriously, and last I heard he's like 190 tops.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

sticklefifer posted:

I know it's a pretty recent thing, but why IS Ibushi in the Heavyweight division? I thought they took their weight classes pretty seriously, and last I heard he's like 190 tops.

He graduated up. It happens from time to time, and honestly the only way someone is really treated legitimately is if the're in the heavyweight division, even if they are undersized.

The weight class thing is more tied into the belief that someone who competes with the JRN's shouldn't be credible against the heavyweights. Once you graduate up you rarely go back.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They're in negotiations for another season. :hellyeah:

edit: I guess it's already been posted, but yeah looking like there is another season coming along.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Is there any place that has past episodes available to watch? My dvr didn't record/ate the eps with Devitt vs Gedo & Devitt vs Okada, and I wanna see em with English commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
ive seen most of these matches before but ive loved the like press/little promos that theyve translated, they do a lot to build character, i like how njpw/puro is talked about by the dudes

okada explaining why aj's styles clash was more badass than tanahashi's was neat as gently caress

• Locked thread