Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
im also gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

RabbitWizard posted:

Open socket. Remove earth wire. Attach phase to earth connector. Go to prison for killing your neighbor after he touches any case of his appliances.

I thought of this but didn't dare post it. And yes, that would probably count as premeditated murder.

I'd wire in a variac to the line so with a turn of the dial you can drop the output voltage from 120V to, say, 80V and then up to 140V. Problem is at the lower voltage it'd probably blow the fuse in the variac. I was also thinking about a dimmer switch but that probably couldn't handle 20A or more, maybe a little soft-starter would allow you to change the voltage at will. That would cause all kinds of really nasty problems.

But seriously just call the po-co and report electricity theft.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 18, 2015

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Using an extension cord is amateur as hell. Real electricity thiefs just bypass the meter.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Burn down your house and begin a new life living under a bridge and asking riddles of passers by. This will solve the problem of your neighbor stealing your electrics.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
-Turn off the circuit breaker feeding the outlet.

-Obtain a 120v buzzer alarm such as this one

-UNPLUG EVERYTHING ON THE CIRCUIT

-Wire the alarm in series between the circuit breaker and the wire going to the outlets

When the electro-thief plugs anything into the outlet, the buzzer will go off waking you up. That's when you call the police.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

I just want to prevent him from stealing my power.

You can make chloroform pretty easily with stuff from the hardware store. You could knock him out with a chloroform cloth and waterboard him when he wakes up. I recommend you take a deadblow hammer to his nutsack right before you pour the water, then cut his head off and put it in your front yard after he confesses.

Rape his headless corpse then throw it in the school bus horror chamber buried under your back yard. That's a Sunday afternoon right there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Three-Phase posted:

I was also thinking about a dimmer switch but that probably couldn't handle 20A or more, maybe a little soft-starter would allow you to change the voltage at will. That would cause all kinds of really nasty problems.
You could build a huge dimmer switch circuit using a pair of stud SCRs and gate drivers.

It's not a real goon solution until it costs at least twice the cost of ignoring it, and far more than just taking the obvious solution of calling the utility company.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Leave a note asking him/her nicely not to steal your power, maybe offer to continue letting him/her tap in if they can chuck you a few bucks every month

pocos are ruthless cunts and might be demanding like $1000 from the guy to get his power turned back on, meanwhile he freezes at night/can't keep perishables in the house

I guess what I am saying is try the compassionate approach first

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
get a cover for the outlet but rig it up so that when he lifts up the cover a grand piano drops on his head

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
this one is easy, cheap, passive aggressive, and will get the point across. Change the socket to be a usb outlet

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

proof of concept posted:

get a cover for the outlet but rig it up so that when he lifts up the cover it's a gloryhole and then put your penis through it

guys been sucking your power least he can do is suck something else nah mean

the pizza police
Oct 8, 2009

justice delivered in 20 minutes or less
wire you so rude, let him have your electricities

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

this one is easy, cheap, passive aggressive, and will get the point across. Change the socket to be a usb outlet

I put on of these in my kitchen except it has two regular outlets and two USB plus, it is seriously the best $20 I have ever spent.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
kill ur landlord

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
create a manifesto outlining your divine purpose and immense hatred towards non muslims

use craigslist to obtain as many firearms as possible, drive to your closest mcdonalds and unload clips into every human soul from the grease covered obese, to the general manager, to the small children in the ball pit

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Poop in front of the outlet every time you have to poop so then theres a big pile of poop in front of the outlet, and he has to step in the poop.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Get lawnchair and flashlight and revealing robe.

Wait in dark until he hops over to plug in

Turn on flashlight and open robe

"No no. It's okay baby bird. Bend all the way over to plug in. Maybe you need even more power. Let's talk"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Investigate and confirm that he's actually stealing your electricity then SUE THE poo poo OUT OF HIM.

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Leave a note asking him/her nicely not to steal your power, maybe offer to continue letting him/her tap in if they can chuck you a few bucks every month

pocos are ruthless cunts and might be demanding like $1000 from the guy to get his power turned back on, meanwhile he freezes at night/can't keep perishables in the house

I guess what I am saying is try the compassionate approach first

Yeah, this. You never know, he might be able to cut you in on his sweet deal with his other neighbor for cable.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

bake him some cookies and suck his dick

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
cut the extension cord with your hanzo steel

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Murder death kill

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Found the solution:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

we are all one people, brother. let him take what he needs, and someday he will repay you in kind, surely.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel that this story will have a shocking conclusion.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

I put on of these in my kitchen except it has two regular outlets and two USB plus, it is seriously the best $20 I have ever spent.

I was going to buy them too but way too many people complained about "phantom electricity" or some other such term where the USB outlets would be using electricity even with nothing plugged in.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Well there's a $5 easy fix or a $3 less easy fix, but either way you'll need to know your way around a screwdriver.

On the other hand neither of these methods involving you raping your neighbor, so it's really not worth going into the details.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

I feel that this story will have a shocking conclusion.
not really. more than likely an extremely timid and passive aggressive one

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amateur Saboteur posted:

not really. more than likely an extremely timid and passive aggressive one

No, I hear the OP has a very electrifying personality.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If you contact the right distributors they can sell you a nice little 4160V/120V potential transformer for several hundred dollars. The outlet itself probably won't like this even if the wires going to it are like neon sign wires and the box is plastic.*

Guavanaut posted:

You could build a huge dimmer switch circuit using a pair of stud SCRs and gate drivers.

It's not a real goon solution until it costs at least twice the cost of ignoring it, and far more than just taking the obvious solution of calling the utility company.

Hell with that, let's build a drive! I'll start looking through DigiKey for some IGBTs and a little tiny reactor for the DC link! :yayclod:

* don't do this you will die and be in excruciating pain as you die

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 18, 2015

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Better to just take off and nuke your house from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
put those child safety things in the outlets and then glue them on tight.

• Locked thread