Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bondster
May 6, 2007

Except for the Da Vinci convenient plot cancer Part IV ended rather beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any (good) Lupin the Third video games?

NOPE. I think the best is The Treasure of the Sorcerer King on PS2, but even that's kinda eh.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

that was suprisingly low key

drat i hope this does well because i need more quality lupin

also bring on the italian gameeee

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think you have to worry about there not being any more Lupin

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

In Training posted:

I don't think you have to worry about there not being any more Lupin

i said quality lupin thats totally different

i dont want no princess of the breeze poo poo again

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just finished the Lupin III Part IV series.

A good series, but one plot hole I noticed: da Vinci specifically destroyed Nix's supersonic abilities in the "Dream of Italy" part 2 episode, but he's shown to have it again in "World Dissection" part one. Maybe it's because Nix is in his own Inception-esque dream, but it just seems like an oversight by the writers to me.

Otherwise, good stuff. I'll look for an OVA or something for my next Lupin fix. Arrivederci for now, Lupin!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Just finished the Lupin III Part IV series.

A good series, but one plot hole I noticed: da Vinci specifically destroyed Nix's supersonic abilities in the "Dream of Italy" part 2 episode, but he's shown to have it again in "World Dissection" part one. Maybe it's because Nix is in his own Inception-esque dream, but it just seems like an oversight by the writers to me.

Otherwise, good stuff. I'll look for an OVA or something for my next Lupin fix. Arrivederci for now, Lupin!

I don't know if he destroyed it - it felt more like a weird Vulcan Nerve Pinch-style incapacitating move that'd hurt like gently caress, but be recoverable from.

Besides, he only did it to one ear.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Did you guys realize that there's two more episodes after World Dissection? I thought World Dissection was supposed to be the series finale, but I guess not.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The song at the end of ep 26 is very pretty.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Just watched and rewatched the entirety of Part 4 (when it came up on Crunchyroll) as someone who's entirely new to the Lupin series, and holy poo poo, I really hope we'll get a Part V down the line somewhere!

(And more Jigen! And Zenigata!)

I think I may have become a Lupin III addict! Anyone know if there's any particular must-watch episodes/movies/whatever of Lupin III?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
:can:

well, for starters there is a woman called fujiko mine and jigen daisuke's gravestone. those are the other two most recent entries, and they are both very good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

:can:

well, for starters there is a woman called fujiko mine and jigen daisuke's gravestone. those are the other two most recent entries, and they are both very good.

Slight warning that JDG brings the weird poo poo from TWCFM without the underlying themes and message. TWCFM has stuff to say, whereas JDG is more just gore and titties for the hell of it. Stylish gore and titties, but yeah.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7zO8nSnFg

Everyone watch Miine Fujiko

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:agreed: :yeah:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Folt The Bolt posted:

Just watched and rewatched the entirety of Part 4 (when it came up on Crunchyroll) as someone who's entirely new to the Lupin series, and holy poo poo, I really hope we'll get a Part V down the line somewhere!

(And more Jigen! And Zenigata!)

I think I may have become a Lupin III addict! Anyone know if there's any particular must-watch episodes/movies/whatever of Lupin III?

If you haven't seen Castle of Cagliostro yet (Miyazaki's first movie), check that out! In general I've enjoyed watching most Lupin, you can't go wrong diving in. I love the original series from 1971 which has half the episodes directed by Studio Ghibli's Miyazaki and Takahata as well. I find a lot of the TV specials made all through the 90s and 2000s to be great. Episode 0 First Contact, Sweet Lost Night, Seven Days Rhapsody, Alcatraz Connection, Missed By A Dollar, Angel's Tactics, stuff like that.

For must watch episodes, the second episode of the first series, "The Man They Called a Magician", I find very cool. The fourth episode "One Chance to Breakout" too, in general that 23 episode series is really solid, great stuff.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 8, 2016

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
After being a bit let down by the latter half of Part IV, I decided to pick up Part 3 again the other night and I hit the terminally weird "Play a Joke on the Variation". Does anyone know if that one was a compressed adaptation of something from the manga? It makes virtually no narrative sense on its own, but it's so aggressively bizarre that there's something strangely compelling about it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Professor Irony posted:

After being a bit let down by the latter half of Part IV, I decided to pick up Part 3 again the other night and I hit the terminally weird "Play a Joke on the Variation". Does anyone know if that one was a compressed adaptation of something from the manga? It makes virtually no narrative sense on its own, but it's so aggressively bizarre that there's something strangely compelling about it.

Sounds interesting! I think you've hit on what I'm gonna guess is the least watched thing in the Lupin canon, I've only watched a couple episodes of Part 3 myself. They weren't bad or anything, I could watch more of it, but my guess is not many other people in this thread have seen that. Bizarre does make me wanna see it though. I haven't even seen all of Part 2, what with it being 155 episodes, and I think the later ones only had dicey subtitles for a while.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

I'm guilty of being a bit of a pink jacket apologist, but once it gets into its stride, I think it's a far better series than many people give it credit for, especially now that the Hulu/CR subtitles are available. I'd at least recommend watching that particular episode just for its sheer strangeness - had they developed it into a feature length story, I think it could potentially have been a spiritual sequel to Mamo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

iirc even tho the director of Legend of the Gold of Babylon gets credited for pink jacket overall, he only worked on a few eps. And that was one of them so that explains why it's weird as hell.

Pink jacket Lupin is v underrated, there's a ton of creativity going on and the animation is expressive as hell.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like pink jacket's bad rep is mainly due to the movie, which sucks because the actual tv series isn't *that* weird!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

When would you say it hits it's stride by the way? I've seen the first couple, looking at the wiki episode 4 features pirates and Fujiko's telepathy? That sounds interesting/wacky. Granted either way, in a perfect world, I'd like to watch all Lupin that exists at some point. For my taste the first series is the most groovy though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel that even though the quality bounces up and down it's still generally enjoyable enough that it's worth watching the entire series since it's only 50ish episodes, but there are some good best-of lists floating around there if you just wanna pick and choose.

My personal recommendation is episode 18, mainly because what happens in the last few minutes is one of the more amazing things I've seen in Lupin. Seriously, everyone should watch that episode. It's fantastic!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Srice posted:

I feel that even though the quality bounces up and down it's still generally enjoyable enough that it's worth watching the entire series since it's only 50ish episodes, but there are some good best-of lists floating around there if you just wanna pick and choose.

My personal recommendation is episode 18, mainly because what happens in the last few minutes is one of the more amazing things I've seen in Lupin. Seriously, everyone should watch that episode. It's fantastic!

Show Time Is Death Feeling sounds like an X-Japan album, I'll remember to check that one out. (posting this joke to confirm that's the right ep :D)

I'm probably never going to watch all 50 eps, there's too much stuff out there. I've seen every Lupin movie/special though at least.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 30, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Show Time Is Death Feeling sounds like an X-Japan album, I'll remember to check that one out. (posting this joke to confirm that's the right ep :D)

I'm probably never going to watch all 50 eps, there's too much stuff out there. I've seen every Lupin movie/special though at least.

If that's the case here's a decent list of recommended eps written by an animator who decided to watch all of the pink jacket episodes, he watched them before there were official subs so ignore his comment about the writing, the old subs were complete garbage.

quote:

Whew! So that's the whole series done. It was a pretty fun watch. All the variety in the designs, animation and tone made it consistently interesting, albeit schizophrenic. Some episodes were a bit of a slog, but they were worth it to get to the gems. And speaking of which, I know some people have said they've been reading these posts to find out which episodes are worth watching, so here are my picks for must-watch episodes:

#11 has some really funny stuff in it.

#13 is just so weird it has to be seen to be believed. Plus maybe if you watch it, you can tell me what it's supposed to mean.

#22 has a lot of great animation.

#25 is definitely one of the best ones, with a great chase.

#34 has that hilarious sequence where everyone in the city is trying to shoot Lupin and Jigen. It also has the immortal "there is curry over there?" subtitle.

#36 isn't great, but it's interesting because Tatsuo Ryuno gets so sloppy at times that it raises the question "just how far off-model can you go before it starts to look like a completely different character?"

#37 actually has an interesting story where Zenigata becomes super-competent. While that idea had been done before in Lupin, it still stands out.

#40 is possibly my favourite from the whole series. It's got that great scene where Lupin is trying to sneak through a deadly security system, and then somehow gets into a subway tunnel with Zenigata. Almost the entire thing is drawn by Tatsuo Ryuno.

#44 has a funny story where lots of kids come up to Lupin claiming that he's their father, and he has no idea whether it's true or not. Then the end of the episode has an awesome chase sequence.

#49 has a story that's simple and goofy, allowing for lots of fantastic animation set pieces.

#50 has a ton of hilarious drawings, and next to #40 is probably the craziest-looking in the whole series.

The main thing to remember with the series is that the writing and direction are rarely all that great, so as long as you keep your expectations about the story quality low, you can have a lot of fun watching the animation. And sometimes the stories are actually pretty good. But hoo lawdy lawd, those subtitles were a nightmare.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Srice posted:

If that's the case here's a decent list of recommended eps written by an animator who decided to watch all of the pink jacket episodes, he watched them before there were official subs so ignore his comment about the writing, the old subs were complete garbage.

Right on, thanks! Oddly enough picking and choosing puts this way up on my to-watch list. Like Tales From the Crypt for example, I probably watched over 50% of the episodes total, but was fun to pick which ones sounded interesting.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

I'm not that far into it myself, but I'd say 4 is where it starts to feel more like it has its own personality. From what I've seen so far though, 7 has good action, 11 is worth it for the David Bowie / Catherine Deneuve villains and 13 is the crazy poo poo.

Edit: beaten...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Professor Irony posted:

I'm not that far into it myself, but I'd say 4 is where it starts to feel more like it has its own personality. From what I've seen so far though, 7 has good action, 11 is worth it for the David Bowie / Catherine Deneuve villains and 13 is the crazy poo poo.

Right on, I've put these notes in a txt file folks, thanks. I've still gotta watch Series 4 by the way, I'm slackin' over here.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Srice posted:

iirc even tho the director of Legend of the Gold of Babylon gets credited for pink jacket overall, he only worked on a few eps. And that was one of them so that explains why it's weird as hell.

That makes sense now that you mention it. From what I've seen of Seijun Suzuki's live-action films, that kind of flat, videogame like side-on camera angle seems to be a favourite of his and there was a shot like that both in ep13 at the start with Zenigata in the well, and also somewhere in Gold Babylon, where it pans down through layers of a building.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Discotek Media is going to release Lupin the III Part 4 in English, complete with dub in 2017

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

Discotek Media is going to release Lupin the III Part 4 in English, complete with dub in 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/793303621815328768

they got most of part 2 dub to come back which is the best lupin dub

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Parallax posted:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/793303621815328768

they got most of part 2 dub to come back which is the best lupin dub

yes

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Holy poo poo yes this is so good.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I can't believe they got the whole gang back, it's great. Too bad pops is new but what can you do.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i always liked this pink jacket lupin op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wokg8088pkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i just saw the italian game intro and gently caress why isn't it translated yet gaaaaaaah
i wanna see all these adventures man. when's lupin pt4: the second coming
look all those cool adventures look at them!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eKZIkHYI-Y

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 2, 2016

• Locked thread