Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.K.A.
Jan 13, 2007
Problem description: As thread title says, my wired USB keyboard disconnects and reconnects every few minutes, especially when gaming. When it does this, I get the device connection chime at the loss and then again when it wakes back up. Numlock light goes off when it disconnects, then comes back on when it reconnects.

Attempted fixes: I have tried updating keyboard drivers. I have tried all the USB ports: back panel and front panel. I have tried several different keyboards, and the problem persists no matter which keyboard I use. I have futzed with the "Allow device to wake" settings, tried uninstalling and re-installing the USB controller drivers, and every other damned fix on the first two pages of Google results for "Keyboard disconnects and reconnects" and "USB port loses power". I have tried different power plans and editing the various properties of each power plan. I have enabled and disabled everything related to USB anything. I've opened up the case and checked all the motherboard connections, USB and otherwise. Ran various virus scans (Malware Bytes, MSE, etc.). Sacrificed several goats and my first-born son. Nothing seems to affect the problem.

I'm feeling like it's a motherboard or power supply problem, but before I kill my budget with an H97/4590/Seasonic upgrade, I'd like to make sure I haven't overlooked something simple or obvious.

Recent changes: No recent changes.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

System specs: Home-built from mid-2011: AMD Phenom II 955 BE, GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P(rev 5.1), MSI GeForce 650ti BOOST (a mid-life upgrade from around the time that card was released), 8gb Gskill budget RAM (two sticks), Corsair GS 600.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

I have used the Trout tag: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Have you tried a PS/2 keyboard to see if it behaves differently?

• Locked thread