Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Most smart people who own pets that have collars with ID, rabies info, first aid kits with booze hanging on them (St. Bernard love) all know to use breakaway collars for safety. Granted if your pet escapes from the house and gets into a situation where it breaks away because it is entangled in something then that goes out the window and hopefully you microchipped it.

If you are not smart then here is a short'ish story that may help the cause. We have a stray cat that has been lurking around our home for a couple of months now. Over the last month we starting feeding it on the neighbors porch where we normally spot him in the mornings. The neighbor moved out months ago and put the house up for sale, different story. I noticed he has a limp but without him letting anyone get near him there was no idea what was going on. Fast forward to this Tuesday where one evening after his meal, sitting on the neighbors porch I went out to check the mail and spotted him staring at me. I sat down on our driveway getting to his level and tried calling him over. He then meowed at me.. using my best cat impression I meowed back. After a couple of minutes chatting in cat which I am apparently quite good at he ran over and jumped in my lap. I immediately noticed the smell, like he spends his days swimming in sewage. Okay, I can deal with that. My wife comes out and sees I finally made contact with kitty and we both spot the collar. Kitty is black as they come and he has a winter coat so it was hard to spot but here is where things go bad. The collar is partially around his neck, goes over his right shoulder then under and around his breastbone looping back over. That explains the limp. Feeling around we realize the collar is not a break away but like a belt and it is so tight I cannot get a pinky under it. I run inside to get scissors and being the cat was extremely friendly he allowed us to handle him where I could cut it off only after having to slide the scissors at an angle to cut it. From bad to worse the collar as you can imagine has done damage.. you will see on the pics that are pretty graphic that it cut through his skin and into him pretty deep. The smell was the wound/collar with ooze on it. I was not able to get an idea how bad it was until yesterday when he allowed us to hold him up to take a pic so I know what we are dealing with..

These photos are graphic which is why I linked and not showed inline. Please do not view them if you have issues with graphic images.

These are the consequences of being an rear end in a top hat and not using the correct collar for your pet. Forget that whoever did this may have been a complete shitlord and collared him this way intentionally.

http://imgur.com/a/Y9EPx

Currently I am looking for a low cost vet in the area to treat him and a shelter that can take him in while he heals to be adopted. This was someone's house cat, no question about it. From the moment we approach him he runs to us for attention and will jump in your lap if he has the chance. We are feeding and giving him fresh water plus he has a nice shelter to sleep. Not able to bring him in because our male cat won't have it. As it is he growl and hisses at me when I come in the door and he sits sometimes at the front door when he knows the cat is there outside and growls at it.

Pretty kitty images album. Nothing graphic here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Breakaway collars are worthless. Both of my cats lost their collars and tags within days so they wear normal collars now.

Sounds like the problem above was a lovely pet owner and not necessarily the collar type.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 27, 2015

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

Breakaway collars are worthless. Both of my cats lost their collars and tags within days so they wear normal collars now.

Sounds like the problem above was a lovely pet owner and not necessarily the collar type.

Better yet, get breakaway collars so your cat doesn't get caught on a tree or something, and get them microchipped.

• Locked thread