Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Citizens of Earth is an Earthbound--inspired RPG developed by Eden Industries and published by Atlus for the Wii U, 3DS, Vita, PS4, and PC (via Steam). Much like Earthbound, Citizens of Earth eschews a more typical fantasy/sci-fi setting and instead opts for a modern one mimicking the United States. To fit this setting, the game has a very cartoonish art-style, as opposed to going for a retro or anime look, as well as featuring full voice acting.

This game's development history is also a bit interesting. Originally the developers attempted to fund it through Kickstarter but it failed, making only $36,000 CAD out of its $100,000 goal. They had already been in contact with Atlus prior to this, and after failing to reach their goal Atlus offered to fund and publish the game. This also allowed for a simultaneous launch on consoles (originally they planned to release on PC with consoles as stretch goals) and for the game to have voice acting.

After winning a grueling election, the new Vice President of Earth heads back to his hometown for a well-deserved vacation. But instead of peaceful relaxation, he finds a number of oddities plaguing the peaceful city, from a growing protest outside its limits, to employees at the newly-opened Moonbucks mysteriously vanishing. As an elected official he immediately springs into action. But a man of his stature can not just get his hands dirty. He has a public image to think of! Instead of fighting directly, he recruits the loyal and patriotic citizens in his hometown.

There are no NPCs in Citizens of Earth. Every character in the game can be recruited and used in battle, from your Mother who can scold enemies into submission, to a Barista who can brew a strengthening cup of coffee. But saving the world isn't the only thing going on in the lives of the citizens; when not in your party each citizen has their own day job, from vending goods to providing information. Additionally, leveling them up in battle will also level up their job, allowing them to provide better services, and thus encouraging you to mix up your party.

Citizens of Earth comes out tomorrow, January 20th (21st for Europe). And for the first week of sale, it will be 20% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
This game is ok. But I kinda hate the Earthbound comparison. One of the main things that Earthbound had in spades was charm. This is somehow, almost entirely, lacks charm. I had really high hopes for it after reading a bunch of Earthbound comparisons, but it just doesn't old up.

Plus, the quest system is weird. One of your first quests is to gather 'evidence' that the coffee is tainted. So you go find s coffee bean with legs and fight it. It drops 'evidence'. So you take that to the cops and nothing happens... Because there are 2 more coffee beans out there and you need all three of them. This is not mentioned at all until you complete the quest and it says 3/3 gathered! Or whatever.

Anyway, it's sort of an ok game; I'm glad I got it for $12 and not full price, but it's not really anything like Earthbound at all and that makes me sad.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The voiced conversations are nice, but they really need to fix some of the crashing and screen tearing issues this game can have at times. Particularly when you do bad enough to actually reach the game over screen and try to skip on through to the retry as fast as you can.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

After having played it for a few hours, I'd say I quite enjoy it, but I'd also agree it doesn't really manage to capture Earthbound's feel. I think it's still fairly humorous and charming, but it definitely doesn't have the same feel that Earthbound, or the recently-released and Earthbound-inspired Lisa, does. Still worth $10 and change tho, imo.

Crabtree posted:

The voiced conversations are nice, but they really need to fix some of the crashing and screen tearing issues this game can have at times. Particularly when you do bad enough to actually reach the game over screen and try to skip on through to the retry as fast as you can.

I haven't had any issues with screen tearing or crashing, personally.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 22, 2015

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I've been playing this game a bit and I really like it. Highly recommend it.

• Locked thread