Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
You may not wanna dig into dig for just a sociology assignment. You don't know what you could encounter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

icantfindaname posted:

. The picture you have of pretentious dudes citing obscure rules and citations at each other isn't really accurate for probably 80% or more of that subforum
To be fair, posters throwing around Citation Needed and [Logical Fallacy X] was very popular when D&D was in its right leaning pro to libertarian infancy.

Then the Bush years wore on and everyone realized the jobs weren't there and the board shifted leftwards. Suddenly having the most debatingest Fedora went out of style.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

icantfindaname posted:

It's not really true at all IMO. Most activity in D&D happens in Nite Crew style chat threads, the idea of there being ideological purges or whatever is as far from the truth as it gets. Basically unless you actively start a fight or you're a literal nazi nobody is going to say a thing. Maybe not even if you are a literal nazi
Nah it was pretty bad when that human being communist McCaine was a mod. Apparently he got ran off when pictures of him with his dick out with a ball gag in his mouth leaked. So I just found out a few months ago.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Actually McCaine hung around for years after that and occasionally posted newer, more flattering ball-gag nudes in lf. Yet one more reason lf owned.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yeah, like I said, maybe all forums tend to generate common styles and collective opinions and maybe I just don't enough time on different sites to notice it. "irl" irl? Seriously? I've never been shouted down in an irl discussion.

Getting someone yelling mad irl is challenging but its pretty easy to shut down the logical parts of someone's brain. Just talk about guns or healthcare or the environment. Don't make an argument just state simple facts backed up by evidence contradictory to their opinion and prepare to hear lots of arguments against whatever they will assume you believe, strawmen, etc.

Small communities like DnD where the same people have known each other for years often begin converging on a consensus, in my opinion because its boring to rehash the same topics over and over. Better to find some common ground and move on to something new. This can contribute to the "suppression" of certain lines of discourse you referred to, and its certainly not a phenomena unique to Dnd, it can be observed in just about any University political club, forum or megathread.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Scudworth posted:

Hahaaa no, LF quickly became the fyad-lite version of D&D, the way YOSPOS is for SH/SC and Imp Zone is for games. Imagine YOSPOS but about politics. Nothing serious went on there, ever. Many threads were just sarcastic mirror versions of active D&D threads.

(it was amazing)

LF posters were probably the most serious of all of the posters. No other subforum has produced as many offsites.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Everybody wants LF back but knows it should stay dead with a stake in it's heart.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
GBS said we we need to to reachin out and tuchin junk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcHYrOzIRY

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Feel free to take a look through the SAclopedia http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn't there already somebody who did a Master's paper on SA?

I know there's an article about the forums by sociologist Amy Bruckman, who also wrote an article about using internet communities in into course assignments. OP, is your professor Amy Bruckman? If so, you should know that she tried posting here too, and it ended pretty much like you'd assume.

We hate ourselves because we're horrible.

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Also there's a front page, that everybody reads!

Right...?

:saddowns:

No, there isn't.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
I wrote a paper in Master class (university) with focus on the inherent discipline (and punishment) and rhetorical ethos that makes SA stand out from many other forums. I got a solid A so I was happy. You can have it, but it is in Danish, so I don't know how useful it would be. I suppose you could grasp some meaning with google translate.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
SA is a nice place to post if you want to be cyber-bullied by a bunch of mean ol' jerks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

SA is a nice place to post if you want to be cyber-bullied by a bunch of mean ol' jerks.

Quiet you, or we'll pound you.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Incrediblastic posted:

I think one part of the subculture of SA is (sometimes defensively ironic) self-loathing - I mean,there's a sub-forum called E/N about life issues.That says a lot about the people here.

I've always wondered how some pretty serious self loathing became such an ingrained part of "forums culture".

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly despite how much goons like to poo poo all over themselves, I'd rather post on SA than places like Neogaf or Facepunch.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Sinking Ship posted:

I've always wondered how some pretty serious self loathing became such an ingrained part of "forums culture".

Forums, and this one in particular, have a reputation for being troll pits. It's naive to come into a place like this with your ideals hanging out and be surprised by criticism, yet people do it every day. The tricky part is when a user gets to the place where they know the criticism is coming, but they still think they can out-dance it. That super-determined ego has a classic way to try and jump ahead of the line: self deprecation. One criticizes one's self before anybody else can, and somehow this is "winning" at the criticism game. You avoided taking your licks (kind of) AND proved you could dish 'em out (kind of).

But this just reinforces the idea that every edge has to be sharpened, and the troll pit reputation grows. Eventually it becomes systemic:I know people who lost their SA password and are afraid to reclaim it or make a new one, even though those systems are fully automated, just because we have "harsh" messages about logging on/out or making posts. We are known, if at all, for being snarky assholes who respect nothing, least of all ourselves. And that's simultaneously what's so ugly and beautiful about this place.

I've given up trying to fully explain to others why I like SA so much, it's such a strange balance, a community you can see real value in and get fantastic input on tech/work/current events from, but also where strangers routinely tell you to kill yourself and go out of their way to make it stick. We make incredible, detailed, even groundbreaking artwork here all the time, and also have psychotic pointless wars with family photos of disfigured children and news footage of atrocities as ammunition. We regularly raise money for charities, independent companies and small artists and we do all this under the banner of a hand grenade. It's a community where the amount of internet-savvy is phenomenal, but the motto is "the internet makes you stupid". The line between "groundbreaking" and "inhumanly monstrous' doesn't even really exist here, which is... weirdly freeing, once you get past the fact that you'll have to take your turn as target of the poo poo cannon now and then. The hotshots turn it on themselves and turn it up to 11, out of a weird sort of prideful shame-off. Or shameful proud-off, it's hard to tell.

We love contradictions here, because they confuse people and make giant messes and remind us how much of a clusterfuck everything really is. Self loathing is an admission of weakness used to show strength, so it fits perfectly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sinking Ship posted:

90s cynicism and general GenX grunge pessimism maybe?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FilthyImp posted:

90s cynicism and general GenX grunge pessimism maybe?

I think part of it too is that ten years ago, the exact opposite was the norm. There was a real "RAH RAH, GOONS ARE THE BEST AT EVERYTHING AND WE'RE ALL SMARTER THAN EVERYONE" sentiment. Now that forums goers on average are older, they kind of look back on that as ridiculous, and have a strong reaction to it vis a vis the excessive pessimism.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think part of it too is that ten years ago, the exact opposite was the norm. There was a real "RAH RAH, GOONS ARE THE BEST AT EVERYTHING AND WE'RE ALL SMARTER THAN EVERYONE" sentiment. Now that forums goers on average are older, they kind of look back on that as ridiculous, and have a strong reaction to it vis a vis the excessive pessimism.

Yeah. I wonder if there will be a coming culture clash between Millennials and Gen Xers.

I guess it would be funny.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Most of this site's userbase are millenials. Millenials started in 1981 remember

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

Most of this site's userbase are millenials. Millenials started in 1981 remember

Except for the few of us that are almost 50.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Scudworth posted:

This is what happens when you ask goons to describe "SA culture" to outsiders who don't want to just lurk more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUHDDj7fhk

Now, presumably Arr got PAID for that appearance. How you're hoping to fare any better is a mystery.

So i guess you could say that what makes SA culture unique is we won't put up with your kind of poo poo.

In dying

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

icantfindaname posted:

SA is a place for nerds who hate themselves and all other nerds and have made it their life's mission to show everyone how cool and totally normal they are to gather

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
It's wild to think that it was ten (almost) years ago that Lowtax made a presentation at the University of Illinois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gvo1uWAhHc

I recommend you watch it if you like horses. Or want some information about the early about the forums - your freaking eyes, your freaking call.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Sinking Ship posted:

I always like to describe SA as the place where the internet taught its self loathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

SA is a philosophy- use the web extensively, but never lose sight of how ignorant and lovely and purile it is.The internet makes you stupid :911:

• Locked thread