Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
So a few weeks ago I built a new PC for my office - nothing over the top but has to be able to crunch numbers and deal with volumetric graphics.

These components:

Intel Core i5 4590
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC Edition 4GB
Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD
Kingston ValueRAM KVR16N11K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 x2
Gigabyte GA­H97­D3H Motherboard
Samsung SE­208DB Slim External Portable 8x DVD Writer
Antec Basiq VP­500P 500W Power Supply
Western Digital WD Green 3TB WD30EZRX

Fairly standard I would have thought with maybe the exception of the 4GB graphics card and 32GB of ram.

But since building it every morning I arrive to find it frozen/crashed sometimes with weird graphical glitches all over the screen. Recently I've been using it more and graphical glitches and freezes are happening during the work day. Yesterday while working with a bunch of glitches all over the screen I got this message 'kde desktop effects restarted due to a graphics reset' and after a quick flash the glitches were gone for a while.

I'm running linux mint 17.1 and have tried the recommended kernel (3.13.0-37) and the latest kernel (3.16.0-29), and also the recommended nvidia driver (331) and the latest stable (340) with no changes.

I'm starting to lean towards it being a power draw issue. I used a couple of online psu calculators as well as building the machine in pcpartpicker to see the recommended wattage and it generally comes out just shy of 400w, except newegg's which comes out at 434w - even so I would have thought my 500w psu would cover it?

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong or where I screwed up?

Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Verify the system can complete a few passes of Memtest86+ without errors. If it can, update to the latest motherboard BIOS. The power supply should work, I would strongly recommend something a bit better as low-end power supplies are really only meant for systems with basic non-gaming graphics cards, but that's a longevity issue and it should still function correctly. If Memtest86+ doesn't find issues, try it under Windows to rule out driver and software issues.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 21, 2015

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for the help, memtest86 had no problems, but I'll need to install windows to update the mb drivers anyway... so as not to mess up the current config too much I'll need to bring in a spare ssd first.

Since the power was something I considered a suspected culprit I disconnected the internal SATA DVD/RW drive and strangely haven't had graphical glitches or freezes while working since then - it is still always frozen/crashed when left over night however.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jombo posted:

...it is still always frozen/crashed when left over night however.

You could also try using the onboard video temporarily to see if it's stable. If the issues go away that would isolate it to the GPU and/or PSU.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009

Zogo posted:

You could also try using the onboard video temporarily to see if it's stable. If the issues go away that would isolate it to the GPU and/or PSU.

Thanks, I'll switch to the integrated graphics when I leave work tonight and see if it's frozen when I get in on Friday, although it's more a case of no information if it doesn't crash since the nvidia gpu will not be drawing much power making it unlikely the psu will cause problems unless it's completely and thoroughly faulty, and with the nvidia gpu out of the loop I can't isolate that as the problem. The two tests with the highest entropy would be to try another psu (none at my disposal atm) or install windows (no time atm)

... maybe I'll be able to install windows on the weekend; but I did forget to switch off the computer when I left last night so this is what awaited me this morning:

• Locked thread